Up

That Spring Break

"So today, we are going on our challenge hike! Up to this pretty waterfall and if we can, all the way up to Clark's Point!" Sal announced loudly so we could all hear. The snow was at least half a foot deep and really fluffy. On the way, some boys began to eat snow, including Luhan. I decided to try it, and it wasn't as bad as I thought.

"Just don't eat yellow snow," Chyna teased before picking some up and eating it. We began to hike in a direction we've never gone before.

"Can we get some snow play?" Tao asked slowly. Sal looked at us eating snow and laughed, "Of course." For some reason, my legs felt really tired today. 

"Guh, hiking up," Chyna groaned. We were, as usual, at the back of the group, accompanying Ms. Mei.

"Oh well," I sighed and dragged my legs. It was very peaceful around us, just with silent chattering of the people, the white snow blanketing around us, the tall pines, circling us and the occaisional chirp of birds.

"You know I wanna see a bear," Mrs. Mei commented, looking around.

"Oh how cool would that be?" Chyna's eyes lit up.

"Scarily awesome," I agreed. The group was waaaaaay ahead so we scurried to catch up. Sal stopped and told us what snacks she had and asked how we wanted to eat them.

"Jolly ranchers and pretzels. Two bags of pretzels and enough jolly ranchers for each of you to receive two," Sal looked at us, waiting for a response.

"One bag of pretzels on the way up, on jolly rancher on the way up. Rest for down," Kris volunteered.

"Good idea! After we are done, we will play a game called Cyclopes tag. Once you guys are tired of that we are going to play what some people call The Hunger Games. I'll explain how to play them later. I assure you that we will definately play camouflage again someday," Sal picked up her bag and we were off. In the past few days, camouflage was the group's favorite game. Basically there was someone in the middle of a ring of backpacks. They couldn't step out of it. They counted down from 10 while the others ran and hid somewhere. Then, once they were done counting, they had to hold up and number. Those who hid, have to know the number. The person in the middle will try ot find people within eyesight. Then, once they are done, they count down again and the hiders either stay in their spot or move closer. The person in the middle once again, has to hold up a number and look for those around. On the 3rd time, people are allowed to go to the ring without getting caught and they have to say the numbers. If they are correct, then they win!

"Daydreaming?" Chyna poked my forehead. I cut her a glare and paced myself quicker.

"Why so fast?" She tried to catch up.

"I wanna go up there," I nudged my chin to where Luhan was. By now, I think I've realized that I've developed a not so small crush on him. He was cute and nice and--- I'll stop gushing now.

"Fine," Chyna sighed and we both went forward. Up there, we heard the boys talking about the talent show. At the end of this trip, there was supposed to be a talent show that whoever attended got a prize. I wasn't the type that would do that, so I just ignored that talk. 

"Hey look," Chen dangled his arm in front of Tao's face. Tao screeched and jumped backward, scaring both me and Chyna.

"Ants!" Tao screamed and ran backward. Sal laughed along with Chen.

"We have an ant whisperer," Chen proudly puffed his chest up.

"Oh my... that's some torture," Chyna commented. I fearfully looked at the ants in Chen's hands and gulped, "I don't blame Tao." Chyan just laughed. We hiked up to a pretty waterfall with ice/snow all around it. Snapping pictures, we received our first jolly ranchers. Since I didn't like cherry flavored candy and blue rasperry kind of scared me because of the color, I took green apple. Plopping it into my mouth, I pocketed the wrapper. It wasn't good to litter in the woods. As Sal says, 'Leave no trace.' 

"This is good," Chyna on her jolly rancher. I've never had one before this so I nodded, kind of astonished on how great tasting it was. Now that the slopes were steeper, our group went a bit slower. It was decided that we were going to Clark's point. I really didn't want to but oh well. It was really slippery, especially in the snow.

"Just gotta watch out with footing. If you slip, don't grab onto something, just fall. You'll land probably not far away. If you go down there," Sal pointed at whatever lay below us, "then other's don't go after them." It was scary, and narrow so we hiked in a line upwards. It was silent. When we got thristy, we did a couple of pretzel/water breaks. Snow was really energizing.

"This is tiring," Chyna and I ended in the back again. Chyna had asthma so she can't stress it that much. 

"No ," I bit into snow. We weren't the only ones lagging behind. There were some senior girls. After hiking for at least an hour, we stopped.

"So there is a river down there, this is the hotspot in which many students have really slipped and fallen into that icy river below. Since it's so cold and the current is so fast, the chances of survival are really slim. Whatever you do, if someone falls, don't go after them. It's usually the rescuer that dies." Sal warned us. People were looking downward in a scary way. It wasn't that bad I guess. It was good that I wasn't scared of heights unlike...

"If I fall that far down.... It's scary I can't even look down!" Chyna exclaimed. 

"I'm scared to look down," Luhan whimpered from the front.

"It's gonna be ok," I comforted Chyna. We continued hiking and snapping pictures. Mountains full of snow and trees surrounded us. It was dangerously beautiful here. 

"This is also a spot where rock falls have actually occured since I worked here," Sal cautioned us. 

"Oh don't say that!" Mrs. Mei shivered and regarded the rocks in a very.... scaredy catish manner. 

"It won't fall," I tried to reassure her. Just then, I noticed Chyna wasn't beside me. I turned around and saw her read face in the back. Mrs. Mei had moved up front with the faster boys and Sal was near Chyna. She was patting her back. I waited for them but ended up going backward.

"You ok?" Chyna was hyperverlating. Her breaths came really loudly and quickly.

"Asthma attack!"

 

A/N- double update~ Im not gonna be updating for 4 days :( on a vacation before summer... anyhoo, ENJOY~!<3