rock scramble

That Spring Break

We hiked for a while before arriving at some flat ground covered with needles. It was slightly damp but we still swung our backpacks and plopped down to the ground.

"Alright, circle!" Sal clapped her hands and our circle was formed. More like an oval but whatever.

"This place is known for rock falls that could happen any minute and this is the drill we have to go through. It is the drill in which first, someone screams out 'ROCK FALL!' and then everyone has to find something to cover them like a tree or a huge rock and hide behind it. After that we count off. Here's your count off. Starting from Kris to Chyna, we count." And so we did the one, two, three countoff thing. I was number 12. Luhan was number 2. I mentally scolded myself for noticing. I was supposed to like Kai and only Kai. 

"Now, we can't go around screaming rock fall can we? So we need a code!" People began to yell out random things before we settled on one, peanuts.

"Now that that's settled, let's do our activity to prepare you guys for the spider caves tomorrow. Remember, no flashlights and it's pitch black in there." I swear, Sal was trying to scare us. 

"Get your blindfolds which will be bandanas!" Sal waited for us. We went to our backpacks and grabbed out bandanas to use as blindfolds. I helped Chyna tie her and I tied my own.

"Alright, stay still. Ms. Mei and I will get you guys in a line." As she moved people around, she explained what we were doing, "So put your arms on the person's shoulder in front of you. Just follow them and if there is something in the way, like a rock, you guys will pass it to each other." My arms went onto Chyna's shoulder and someone's arms were ony my shoulder. We stumbled around, walking in circles, it felt like.

"Alright, now here's the real adventure," Sal had a mischevious tone. 

"Wait they're going in that!?" Ms. Mei asked with shock. Sal nodded. Those words made me anxious and worried.

"Here goes nothing," Chyna muttered. I followed her and heard some gasps. 

"It's narrow!" A voice called out. I recognized that it was Tao's. We walked on and suddenly things were squeezing me at both sides.

"It gets narrower," Chyna told me. I passed this info down to the person behind me. It was narrower all of a sudden. I fit of course, since I was tiny.

"Alright, blindfolds off!" Sal waited for us. We gasped at once after we got our sight back.

"Well, what'd you think?" Ms. Mei cackled evilly. I looked around and saw everyone in a line. I blinked and saw that we were wedged between two tall rocks.

"I feel squished," I heard Chyna mutter. I turned around and saw that it was Lay right next to me. He smiled at me with his dimple. 

"Now, you guys have to get in order from birthdate. No year, just month and date. No talking allowed," Sal instructed from the front. Ms. Mei smiled at this and took out her phone to snap a picture of us. 

"January on this end, December on that end," Sal said. I groaned, realizing that I had to get past all these people to get over to the other side since my birthday was in March.

"Go!" Ms. Mei urged us. At first, no one moved, but then, suddenly, people were pushed around.

"Thank god I'm near," Chyna whispered. I groaned and held up a 3. Chyna sympathetically smiled and I squeezed past her. Then, I was stuck. Some people were climbing over others to get over here. I waited till they made it and managed to squeeze behind some people. I neared where Luhan was. Kris was right in front of me, holding up a 1 with each hand. I realized it meant November. I sighed and flattened myself against the rock. Kris had difficulty passing me, but finally made it. Then, I ecountered another person coming this way. Chen. His number was 9. I sighed and let him past. Again, it was weird but he got through. Another girl was flattened against the rock as I past. Tao was just standing there as I got to him. I blinked and held up a 3. He frowned but got on the ground. I looked at him weirdly. he motioned for me to go over. Biting my lip, I climbed the rock like Spider Man and got over him. Sighing with relief, I was glad i passed May. 2 more months. After great struggle, I approached Luhan. We were both like the same size. He was slender and so was I. I could basically walk across without any harm. He had a 4 and I held up a 3 and passed him. His hip brushed mine and I ignored it. The next person was March 2nd, so I got to stand next to Luhan. I don't know why I was so happy at that.

"So, have we got it?" Sal asked after a few moments.

"Yeah!" Everyone called. Seemed like we were all eager to get out of this rock.

"Tell me your birthdates!" Sal waited and we all said ours. Since it was accurate, we all filed out. I was glad that I got personal space at last.

"Whew, I didn't like that. It was too much touching." Chyna shook her head as I caught up to her.

"Yeah." I looked back and saw the rock. I gaped at its narrowness, snapped a picture and we went to pick up our backpacks.

"That rock was called a cleavlage," Sal informed us. Some erted boys snickered. I made a face at the name.

"Weird as hell," Chyna picked up her backpack. I nodded.

"Alright, see those rocks, we're going to climb that. It's called rock scrambling. I noticed you guys liked to climb." She smiled and led us there. Sal was truly nice, letting us do whatever we liked as long as it was safe. The rock was really high. It was dangerous, one slip could lead to broken limbs. With that on my mind, I began to climb up.