closing circle

That Spring Break

All through lunch, my heart was thumping. I was pretty sure Chyna or Luhan would hear it by now. The foods were passed around from me to Luhan. Or from Luhan to me. I grew self concious as I chewed my food. Ugh what was Luhan doing to me??

"So, we have some time after this, what do you guys want to do?" Sal asked the group. Some random suggestions were thrown around before we came to one conclusion: Another game of camouflage. Before lunch ended, Ms. Mei announced that there was a surprise.

"We went to the tattoo shop!" Ms. Mei exclaimed and held up her wrist. In bold letters, there was the name 'Sal.' Everyone else did that as well except for this boy who played the trumpet in my class. He looked down, embarrassed. 

"Didn't get to write it?" Chyna peered at him. He miserably nodded. Meanwhile, Sal was squealing and thanking us. Ms. Mei handed her the card and Sal gently placed it in her pack.

"On last question, how many times did you guys shower this week?" Many people held up 2. Luhan, Kris, Tao and Chen all suprisingly held up 5. Chyna and I exchanged glances and held up a 3. Sal looked around nodding and sastified. Only two boys were crazy enough to hold up a zero. I shuddered at the thought of not washing my hair. 

"Well, let's play!" Sal stood up and we walked deeper into the woods before creating a circle. Ms. Mei volunteered to be the one in the middle. Silently, we all agreed on letting Sal win this round since she's never won before. Sal was being all chirpy and happy, oblivious of everything. And the game started. I raced back to a fallen log. Large thick branches concealed me as I crouced down. Under the log was a large gap, where I could see Ms. Mei. Something snapepd from besides me and I saw Chen on his stomach next to me.

"Let Sal win!" He staged whispered. I nodded and the game began. Ms. Mei held up a number. Due to my poor vision, I saw 2 blurry fingers. I turned to Chen with a questioning look and held up a two. He shook his head and held up a three. I nodded. 

"I see Chyna!" Ms. Mei exclaimed.

"Dang nuts!" Chyna called from the side. She stepped out from behind a tree and stood in the center. A bunch more people were called out, but not Sal. Thank god. Then, the second round began. People shuffled to other places but I stayed put. This was a good place to hide. Chen stayed put as well. Ms. Mei held up a one (this time I really saw it) I confirmed with Chen and Ms. Mei called out other people. Soon, the whole group was there other than Luhan, Chen, Sal, 2 senior girls and me. The last round. Ms. Mei counted down as Chen and I casually strolled to where she was. We saw Sal racing to the center and blurting out the numbers. Her face was split with a huge grin. She was ecstatic that she won. All of us cheered and she laughed.

"This wasn't set up right?' She looked at us. We all averted our eyes and mumbled random stuff. She sighed but continued to be happy.

"Well, this is our last game," Sal put her head down. All of us groaned and were sad. Our group, through snow or sunshine, we had good times. I'd miss Sal so much.

"BUT A CLOSING CIRCLE!" Sal raised her head cheerfully and we formed a quick circle.

"Ok, so this time, talk about something we gave, or will give to yosemite!" Sal grinned and continued, "Popcorn style, let's start with Ben!" He pointed at a boy. He breathed out and looked around.

"I will tell people about yosemite." Ben grinned. I scrunched my face; that was what I was going to say. I racked my brain to find something else I could say when it was my turn. Ben pointed at Luhan, who was smiling with his eyes the shape of upside down crescents. So cute. 

He knelt down and created a small dirt mound,brushed his hands off and stood up. People started clapping and laughing. Joining them absentmindedly, I thought that Luhan was going to call on Minny since they seemed like pretty close friends, but he shocked us all when he looked at me, "Bekka." I was rapidly blinking because a) I had no idea what I was going to say, b) my name sounded so pretty coming from him and c) HE CALLED ON ME!! 

Sal nodded t me encouragingly and I desperately jumped my eyes to Chyna, who was watching me intently. Luhan's eye were boring into me so I just simply said the first thing in mind, "The air. My oxygen." I earned a couple laughs and Luhan smiled widely. I picked Chen and he replied with the same thing I said, the air. Luhan scoffed and crossed his arms at that

"Oh wow," he grumbled as Chen winked at me. Soon, everybody has told Sal what they gave or will give to Yosemite. Some answers were goofy, others were stupid, and some were really meaningful. On the trek back to the cabins to grab our luggage, Chyna started a conversation with me.

"I think Luhan likes you," Chyna plainly stated.

"What?" I grew flustered. Chyna was talking so loudly, "Shhh."

"Nevermind, it's just the way he was looking at you when he called your name," Chyna shrugged it off, oblivious of the inner turmoil this statement caused me. I peeked at Luhan. He's going to leave anyways, I tried to convince myself.

The rest of the hike back was silent. When we got to the cabins, I turned to Sal, "You'll be there before we board the bus right?" I wanted to hug her before I left. She nodded and we ran off.

Almost home.