Chapter 6: Weird

The Real Him

I’m able to leave the hospital in 2 weeks. In the end, the doctor told me I had back issues and needed to be treated for it. Kai, Baekhyun, Sehun, Xiumin and Luhan would visit me taking turns giving me the class work I missed.

“Ughhhh so much work!” I groaned in frustration as Sehun passed me a whole pile of new work. “Hey, not my problem your missing school. We told the principle of your condition and said you can miss out for as long as you need but have to catch up on the work.” Smiling, I thanked him and stared back down at the pile of work. Starting from math, science, English, global, etcetc I thought my head was going to explode.

I asked Sehun for help most of the time cause I didn’t know anything. Everything was new and I had no idea what anything was talking about. I started doing the work myself and the room was silent. “Byul...” I hum in response but don’t take my eyes off the paper. “Um… It’s about Baekhyun…” That’s when I put my pencil down and stared at him with a confused face. “Baekhyun? What about him?”

“He seems… a bit weird…. He’s been lacking a lot in class and getting called out to the principle often. Do you know what’s up with him?” I started at Sehun, having no idea what he’s talking about.

Baekhyun is acting weird? Getting called by the principle? Lacking grades? “That’s weird… he doesn’t seem any different when he comes visit me. Have you ever asked?”

“Yeah of course I did but he keeps saying nothing is the problem.”

“Then I guess it’s just a short time thing. I’m pretty sure he will be back to normal soon.”

I know Baekhyun and whenever he is stressed he always tends to act a little different from his original self. But that’s weird…. He never told me anything about being stressed. He never lies to me and tells me everything.

Looking at the time, it was past 10 and lights are out my 10:30. “You should get going Sehun. Thanks for coming.” He waved goodbye and left the room with a smile.

 

Yes! I was finally allowed to leave the hospital! My back is perfectly healed and I felt so brand new and fresh. Stepping outside, I took a deep breath in and a huge smile appeared on my face.

“How does it feel?” I turn to Baekhyun as his hands were in his pocket walking up to me and standing on my side. “It feels soooooo wonderful!!! And now-“ I linked arms with him, “I can be able to see my best friend 24/7.” I looked forward and took another deep breath. He didn’t say anything but I assumed he was just too tired to respond, “Come on let’s go!!”

“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Byun!” I greeted with a big smile once I entered the house. I can smell food from outside and my stomach was growling from hunger.

“Come eat my dear you must be starving. You too Baekhyun you haven’t eat anything in so long.” I stared at Baekhyun with wide eyes but he didn’t look at me and kept walking forward.

Brushing it off, I ran to the kitchen and took a spot in my original seat. “Huuu Mrs. Byun h-how did you make all this?” The table was filled with food, not a spot of the table seen. “Can’t let it go to waste! Before it gets all cold, dig in.”

Without a second to waste I dug in the food without a thought of thinking how much fat this can lead. “Mhmmmm this tastes so good. Thank you so much!” They both smiled at me and I felt warm inside.

“Baekhyun… are you not going to eat today again?” I looked at him right away and saw he didn’t even make a dent in his rice. “Not feeling it today either. I’ll be in my room if you need me.” Hands still in his pocket he left the table and both parents let out a loud sigh.

“He’s been acting weird lately. We’ve been getting calls from school almost every other day. I don’t know what’s wrong with him, mind talking to him?”

“Of course I will!”

 

In front of his room I started messing with my fingers. Why am I so nervous? Come on Byul he’s your best friend what is there to be scared of. “Baekhyun we need to talk!” he shut his computer right away and turned around. “Don’t do that Byul you scared me!” He smiled and I didn’t understand what was so different.

“I want to talk.”

“About?”

“Well I’ve heard you been acting weird lately. Is that true?” There was silence in the air before he broke it, “No, I’ve been the same. Who told you that?”

“Your parents… friends… I don’t see it but that’s what they been telling me. Is there something stressing you out?” I saw him mumbling to himself but I couldn’t make out what he was saying. “No everything is perfect. I would never lie to you Byul.”

“Right? Ok good I thought you were hiding something from me.”

“N-no never.”

“Ok well sorry to be in your way. I’ll be going then.” Closing the door, I held onto the door nod with a strong grip. My heart was pounding but I didn’t know why.

“Yea she left. I don’t know but I think people are starting to notice. I know I’ll be safe. I know thanks Lay.”

Lay? The dancing king, Lay? Why is he talking to him? He hates that group why is he talking to them?

Nothing felt right but I didn’t want to come to a conclusion yet. He promised me he wouldn’t lie and I believe he wouldn’t. If he made new friends he would tell me. Taking my hands off, I ran into the guest room or which is now, my room.