Chapter 1: Question

The Real Him

“Everything’s going to be ok Byul. They don’t mean it and you know it.” Baekhyun kept whispering into my ear as I cried on his shoulders.

 

---------- Flashback-----------

“Son.Byul. get down here right now.” Just by the sound of it, I can tell my parents were mad and they needed something to release it on. When it comes to getting abused I wasn’t a ‘someone’ but a ‘something.’

 

“Yes moth-“Even before I can finish my sentence she threw a punch right on my right cheek. I didn’t even cry because I know this is just the beginning. “Get up you worthless piece of .”

 

Slowly getting up she grabbed me by the collar and shoved me against the wall. Without a warning she punched me right in the stomach. I grabbed onto it and fell on the floor rolling up into a ball. Not even being able to fully catch my breath, there was kicks coming from all over the place.

 

I stayed into my ball position and didn’t make a sound. As much as the pain was killing me, I knew if I said anything dad would have to get involved and that is not a pretty sight. “I don’t want to see you ugly face in this house tonight. Get the hell out of here. NOW!”

 

Forgetting about the pain I quickly put my shoes on and ran right across the street too my best friend’s house. Tears welled up in my eyes and once the door opened, I threw myself on Baekhyun letting him drag me in.

-----------End of Flashback----------

 

“Let’s get you cleaned up, shall we?” Baekhyun pushes me off of him and leaves me in the room by myself. I pull my legs closer to me as I let the tears freely roll down my face. “Don’t cry, you know they don’t mean it.”

 

Yes, Baekhyun knows my parents abuse me. Why didn’t he ask for help? Simple, because I didn’t want to lose my parents. I know they hurt me but these are still my parents and I would have nowhere to go if they were in jail.

 

He puts the first aid kit on the nightstand and tells me to sit on the edge of the bed. He took a seat on his chair and I slowly crawled to the edge still sniffling. “Look at me.”

 

I look at him as he cleans my bloody lips. “This is going to sting a little, hold my hand.” I held into his hand as he lightly dabbed my cut. I hissed from the sudden sting and squeezed his hand.

 

After putting a bandage on it he took out cream and put it on my new bruises. “Was it worse?” I nod my head slightly still keeping still for him. “You should really tell-“

 

“No! I’m ok. Not like it’s really bad or anything.”

 

“Such a strong lady Byul, you know that?”

 

“Yup I know.” He flashes me his angle-like smile and puts the medicine back where it came from. Not long after, he came back with water and some painkillers. “Thank you.”

 

I quickly took it out of his hand and put it in my mouth. Getting under his blankets, I moved to the side so he can get in as well. He gladly took that offer and slid in with me. I cuddled into his chest, feeling safe and protected. He wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me in closer.

 

Many people think that we are going out but this was a normal behavior we do with each other. We known each other since birth and we always got each other’s back. If one family was fighting, we would go to each other’s house and cuddle together whispering sweet nothings just too keep safe. Let me repeat, we are not lovers.

 

“If something gets out of hand, we are going to have to tell someone. My parents want to tell but they trust you that you’re making the right choice.”

 

“Thanks…. But I don’t think they would do anything worse than this.” There was silence in the room but Baekhyun broke it.

 

“Do you believe change is a good thing?” I was taken back from the sudden question but I thought for a moment before answering. “They say it is but not all changes are good.”

 

“I think changing is a good thing.”

 

“Why?”

 

“People change because they don’t like who they are. Even if they are nice everyone likes to try new things."

 

“I guess… Why you asking all of a sudden?”

 

“Because I want to change.” I look up to see him staring at the ceiling. “Not that I don’t like my personality, it’s just I want to try new things. Be a nicer person, stop being rude. Maybe even try bullying instead of helping!” I punch him in the chest lightly as he chuckles.

 

“I’m lying; I would never want to be a bad person. Would you always be my friend though?”

 

“Of course. No matter how old or how ugly, I’ll always be by your side.”

 

“I can always rely on you Byul. Sleep, you must be tired. Night.”

 

“Night Baekhyun. Thank you.”