Chapter 2: Anymore

The Real Him

"Morning Mr. and Mrs. Byun."

"Oh hey sweetie. Parents again?" I nod my head sadly before taking a seat across from Mr. Byun. I wince when I come in contact with the hard seat but ignore it knowing this isn’t the first or last it will hurt.

"Is Baekhyun still sleeping?" Mr. Byun asked me while taking a bite of his bread. "Yes sir. He is still asleep." I told him and thanked Ms. Byun for the breakfast.

“I asked your mother how you were doing and she told me everything is perfectly fine. Always keeping the abuse part too themselves.” I nod my head again sadly, before taking a bit out of the food but put down my fork. “I’m sorry but I don’t have the appetite to eat right now. Thank you though.” I said pushing the plate forward a little and laying my head on the table.

“No worries my dear.” She took the plate back to the kitchen and I smile at her feeling a warm sensation inside of me. I was jealous of Baekhyun for having such wonderful, caring parents. The doorbell rings and my smile turned into a frown knowing who it is. “Thank you but I think it’s time for me to leave.” I smiled painfully before slowly getting up in my seat and walking to the door. I took a deep breath before opening it and faking a smile.

“Hello mother.” I said trying not to sound hurt. “It’s time to come home Byul.” I turned around bowing at Baekhyun's parents before putting my shoes on and walking back to my house with my mother. She stopped at the front steps turning me around to face her. “I’m sorry for last night. Work was stressful and-“

“I know. You don’t have to tell me every time.” I held back the tears. “I really am Byul and I promise not to make the same mistake.” She hugged me tightly as I hesitantly hugged her back. It’s not that I didn’t like being in my mom’s arms, but they just don’t feel safe unlike Baekhyuns.

“Did you eat?” She asked me wiping my tears I didn’t even realize that fell. I nod my head, knowing if I spoke it would be obvious I was lying. She gave me a warm smile before kissing me on my forehead. “I’m going to go to work right now. Dads still home eating breakfast.”

I nod my head once again before watching her get into the car and seeing it leave getting smaller and smaller. I slightly shiver at the thought being home alone with my father but I knew he would never hurt me especially since he didn’t go to work yet.

I got into the house, taking small steps into the kitchen and getting myself a glass of water. “Where you at Baekhyuns again?” He asked me not looking up from his newspaper. “Y-yes.” I said in a low voice but I knew he heard me.

“Did he help with your wounds?” He asked again but this time put his newspaper down and looked at me in the face. “Y-yes.” There was an awkward silence in the room before he spoke, “I don’t want you to hang out with him anymore.”

My eyes widen and my mouth dropped open. Does he really have the guts to say that to me? “W-what?! Are you crazy? I will never!!” I said yelling. I was both confused and mad.

“What are you going to do if he figures out how you get those? Are you going to keep lying until he figures out and then tells the police on us? Don’t be silly Byul and listen to dad.” Little did you know, his whole family knew.

He left the house leaving me all alone. Tears welled up again that day for the 2nd time. “Leave Baekhyun? My best friend? You got too be kidding me…” I said to myself out loud in the empty house. I let a scream of frustration out, the loudest one I ever made. A scream I never even made when I was first abused but telling me to leave my friend… I couldn’t even describe how it felt.

I walked to the bathroom holding onto the wall for support. I looked at myself in the mirror letting a gasp leave my mouth. My face was covered in tears, tears I didn’t even fell from all the emotion in my body. My eyes were puffy from crying last night and I can tell I lost a lot of weight. But, this wasn’t enough.

 

Since the first day my parents abused me, I’ve always wanted to change my appearance. Even though Baekhyun tells me I should eat because I’m to skinny, I know it’s not enough because my parents still tell me that I’m fat.

 

I fell on the floor, hugging me knees.

 

I cried and cried…

 

Not knowing what to do anymore.

 

I was lost in my thoughts until I heard the doorbell ring constantly. I wiped my tears away before getting up with my tired legs. Once I opened the door, I was greeted with a worried faced best friend.

A friend I can’t have anymore.

“Is everything ok? I rang the bell 3 times but you didn’t answer so I rang it non-stop. You don’t know how much that scared me. My parents told me you left not even 10 minutes after you woke up and you also didn’t eat!”

 

I looked at him straight in the eyes, trying to find any trace of acting but it showed nothing but worry. A smile formed on my face but then I heard dads voice. “I don’t want you to hang out with him anymore.”

 

“-Byul! Are you ok? Where you even listening to me?”I didn’t make eye contact with him. “Byul look at me. I know you can hear me. Look at me.” He said in a calm and steady voice, but I refused to look. I heard him sigh, making a rush of guilt take over my body.

 

Without a word, he pushed me back into my house as he also stepped in closing the door from behind. I still refused to look at him, always looking at the floor or at the wall behind him.

 

“Are you just going to keep ignoring me? Not even look at me anymore?” He said standing in front of me but I still didn’t look. “Ok fine but I’m going to make you breakfast before I leave. It’s fine if you don’t want to talk but you are still going to eat.” He left me alone in the living room as he went straight into the kitchen and started cooking a simple breakfast.

 

I watched him from the back, not moving from my spot. Every movement he made I watched knowing this might be the last time I will see him like this. Tears started to well up in my eyes but I held them back. “I’m going to ask your parents later if you ate or not so don’t throw it away! I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”

 

He hugged me but I didn’t hug back. He let go, even though I didn’t look at him I can see a frown and his eyes showed pain. He left my house, again, someone leaving me all alone. I stared at the closed door finally letting the tears fall.

 

“I’m sorry Baekhyun… Please… forgive me…"