Chapter 4: Help

The Real Him

“I-I’m really at the library dad.” I said trying to hide my voice. “Are you lying to me?”

“N-no.”

“Then you better be back before 5.” He hung up the phone and that’s when I broke down. Tears after tears stained my already paled face. I felt someone wrap his arms around me and I didn’t hesitate to hug him back. “He won’t do anything to you… Calm down Byul everything is going to be ok…" He kept whispering words into my ear which to my surprise calmed me down.

He let go when he felt me relax a little and no more tears where staining his white shirt. “I’ll make food.” He disappears into the kitchen as I stood up with my shaky legs and looked around his living room. It’s not my first time in his house but this was my first time to actually get a look at it with details. I went over to the pile of pictures. There were many pictures of him and his parents. They all looked so happy and I couldn’t help but feel jealous. There was not a single family photo I had.

There were more pictures of him as a baby and some with our other friends, Kai, Xiumin, Sehun and Luhan. A smile appeared on my face when I saw how happy they all looked together. Then I came across 2 pictures I didn’t even know were taken.

One was when he was little and I came over to his house when my parents went on a trip without me. Our arms were wrapped around each other and a light smile was on our faces. The next picture made me tear up. It was a picture with the 6 of us together at the park. We were sitting on the monkey bars 3 on one side and 3 on the other looking at one another. I don’t remember what we were talking about but all our faces had a huge smile.

I stared at the two pictures, missing those times when abuse wasn’t so bad and was just a simple slap on the face. I heard a sudden knock on the door was a jumped in fear. My eyes looked away from the pictures as I stared at the door with horror hoping it isn’t my dad.

Baekhyun came out of the kitchen as he looked at me. He opened the door as I hid on the couch. I let out a sigh in relief when it was only his mom. “Oh, hello my dear. What brings you here today?”

“H-hello Mrs. Byun I-well- my dad is home and-“

“Don’t need to explain, I think I know where this is going. You can stay as long as you like. Baekhyun sweetie, were you making food?” He nodded his head as I watched his mom ruffle his hair. “Your all grown up now aren’t you? Taking care of your friend. Proud of you son!” Baekhyun laughed as a smile appeared on my face.

“And I’ll be taking care of her for as long as we live!” His mom headed upstairs to her room as Baekhyun went back into the kitchen.

I slowly followed him, trying not to get noticed by anyone even if no one was down stairs. I don’t think he realized I came into the kitchen because he didn’t turn around. I slowly back hugged him, feeling him tense up but quickly relax. “Hey, Byul. Everything alright?”

I nod my head as I laid my head on his back. It felt so nice to be hugging him and I couldn’t want a better friend than him. He didn’t say anything else but kept cooking. After a few minutes he pulled me off and asked me to set up the table.

Getting the spoon and chopsticks, I set the table for the three of us to eat. His mom came down right on time as she sniffed the air. “It smells delicious dear. Would you tell me, who taught you how to cook?” They both chuckled and I laughed as well. It felt so warm in this house.

He gave me a bowl of rice as he put the main dish on the table. It was gal-bi-jjim(steamed short ribs) one of my favorites. I took the first bit out of the food but put my chopsticks down. “Why aren’t you eating?” He asked me with worried in his voice. “I’m not hungry.”

“You have to eat something.” He said in a much stronger voice. “I’m not hungry.”

“You didn’t eat at school you have to be hungry. At least finish the one you took a bit out of and eat at least half of the rice I gave you.” He gave me his famous puppy dog face and there is no way I was going to deny it now.

Slowly I eat half the rice and finished 2 short ribs. He gave me a smile and I smiled back. My stomach felt like it was going to explode. I felt so fat and disgusting. Slightly, I began to panic in my mind as I remembered I had to get home by 5.

Snapping my head at the clock, it was 4:55. 5 minutes to get home. Quickly I got up from the table and made my way over to the back door with my bag. “Call me if something happens. Be safe.” He said giving me a last hug. I treasured those moments I had before I headed home. There was a part of me telling me to stay but I knew I couldn’t.

Taking a look at the clock 3 minutes already pasted. 2 minutes left. Without saying goodbye, I rushed out the back making it around and in front of my house. Not even trying to catch my breath, I barged into the house and was welcomed with a huge slap.

“I told you to get home by 5 and you come 1 minute late. Such a snail.” He kicked me in the stomach as I cried out in pain. He lowly growled as he got me up and pushed me on the floor. A loud thud was heard with a punch on the cheek again. He grabbed me by my hair as he pushed my head against the wall. I screamed for him to stop. The house was filled with the smell of alcohol and it was dark. His tie was hanging lose around his neck.

“I got fired because of you, did you know that?” I stared at him in disbelief but he kicked me in the knee.

“Because of your filthy I got a call from your school saying your grades were dropping.” Another kick in the stomach.

“I yelled through the phone and the boss was right in front of me.” A punch in the face.

“Because of you the boss told me to leave because they didn’t want workers who yell and answer their phone during work! Because of you I was told I don’t care about work but only care about you!” He grabbed my hair again as I let out another painful scream. He threw me across the room as my back hit the edge of the couch. I groaned in pain as I heard a bottle shatter near the kitchen.

“If we lose this house you’re lucky if I still let you live. Go to your room. NOW!” With an aching back and throbbing head I forced myself up the stairs and into my room.

Tears left my eyes as the pain all over my body became unbearable. I was sweating bullets but I couldn’t move my body. My eyes threaten to close but I stayed up. I reached my phone in my pocket whimpering due to the pain on my back.

With the first person I had in mind I called right away not caring about the consequences. I waited for Baekhyun to answer as more tears left my eyes. “Byul! Are you home? Did anything happen?”

“B-Baekhyun… Help…"