D is for Dribbling

You Are More Than Your Chair

D. Dribbling.

Back before the accident Minho was very athletic, and during the nights where they would lay together all curled up in the covers on the couch or the bed sometimes Jinki would get him to tell him stories about his life before the accident. The younger man was always reluctant, because he hated to think of the life he lost, but Jinki was his boyfriend. The older man was everything to him and the way he would look at him made Minho want to open up; even if it was just a little and only a small story of his past life.

 

Jinki really wanted to know all about Minho. He wanted to know every single thing that he missed from before his accident, and what he now wanted to do. He wanted to know his dreams and ambitions, because he wanted to do whatever he could to help the man achieve them.

 

Jinki knew how much sugar the man liked in his lemonade and tea. He knew that he enjoyed vanilla candles and watching the flame flicker against the walls. The way that he loved back massages, but only if Jinki used that special bottle of strawberry and cream lotion the older man had bought for him on one of their outings, but he didn’t know why Minho wanted to be a math teacher. He didn’t know if it was because of the accident, or if he had wanted to be that for most of his life.

 

Jinki hated it when he would look at Minho and the younger man would have this dazed expression, as if he was thinking of something in a completely different time period, any time that he saw a basketball game on the tv, or a man running on the sidewalk outside of the older man’s studio.

 

So when they pulled up in front of a gym Minho was really confused. They were supposed to be going to a movie because Jonghyun got them for free on some radio show and didn’t want to go. Minho thought that maybe Jinki was just stopping here for something, what he didn’t know but he usually never did when it pertained to the older man, but when his chair was taken from the back of the car and placed outside his door he knew they were going to be here for a while.

 

He was gently lifted out of the car and set in his chair. Jinki smiled before going behind the car and popping open the trunk. He then returned with a gym bag and with a slam of the trunk he was walking toward the gym. Jinki turned back to him after he was a few feet away and smiled, “Are you coming?” Minho opened his mouth, but closed it with his lips pressed together as he pushed his palms on his wheels.

 

When the doors were closed behind them Minho looked around. Jinki walked up a few seats into the bleachers and after sitting opened up the gym bag. He pulled out a basketball and laid in behind him, before pulling out a tank top.  Minho watched the older man pull off his t shirt and sweater, looking away and slightly blushing at the sight of the man’s soft skin, before Jinki was stepping in front of him wearing the tank top he pulled out of the bag. Pressed between his hip and his arm was the basketball, and the younger man looked up at him with round eyes.

 

“What are we doing here Jinki?” He asked slowly.

 

Jinki just smiled and placed the ball in his lap. “We’re going to play a game of basketball.”

 

Minho thought that he hadn’t heard the man right. Jinki honestly wasn’t planning to play basketball with him was he? No. The man wouldn’t do that because he knew what that would do to him; to play a game with someone who could walk when he could not. Jinki knew better than to even suggest it.

 

Jinki saw the look on the man’s face, but all he did was lean down and gently kiss his cheek. “Go shoot for a minute. Warm up. I’ll be back in a moment.” When the younger man didn’t move he gently pushed the back of the wheelchair before walking around the bleachers.

 

Minho sighed and continued toward the basket. He hadn’t shot a basket in years. It had been almost 7 to be exact, since he had been 17 in the night of the accident, and if he was honest with himself he hadn’t really ever wanted to try again. It brought way too many memories, and he would hate to try and fail miserably. 

 

He took a deep breath and rose his arms like he did so many times before. After exhaling he launched the ball through the air, and frowned deeply when it slammed against the rim. He didn’t have the energy or the heart to go retrieve the ball, so he just leaned back in his chair with his head thrown back and his eyes closed. He only opened them again when he heard the familiar sound of spinning wheels, and a single bounce of a basketball. He opened his eyes and scanned the gym. When his eyes landed on Jinki he honestly had no idea what to think of it.

 

“Jinki… why are you in a wheelchair?”

 

The older man beamed and tossed the ball over to the man. “We’re going to play basketball. I thought I told you?”

 

Minho just blinked at him. “What does us playing basketball have an- Wait. Did you bring me here to play wheelchair basketball with me? Are you planning to learn how to sit in a wheelchair and actually play basketball with me?”

 

“I thought that was pretty obvious here Minho.” Jinki watched the man’s adams apple bob as he swallowed, and he began to ever regret thinking that they should come play. He saw the tear trail down his cheek, and the older man was rushing up out of his chair and bringing the man’s face into his hands. “I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have done this. I just thou-“

 

Minho shook his head and interrupted him after he hiccupped, “No no please stop.” He looked up at him and Jinki swallowed the lump in his throat as he wiped the tears streaming down his boyfriend’s cheeks. “I’m not… crying because I’m …sad.”

 

“Then why Baby?”

 

Minho laughed then; his voice cracking as the sound rumbled from his chest between his hiccups. “I… I’m touched Jinki. No one’s ever done this for me.”

 

Jinki exhaled the breath he hadn’t even known he was holding. “Oh god. I thought I made a grave mistake.”

 

Minho just closed his eyes and bit his lip as he shook his head. Jinki gently kissed his cheeks, right where the tear trails were still wet, and he smiled softly. The younger man placed his hands on top of the other man’s and smiled back at him. “Let’s play.”

 

And they did. Jinki fell a couple times, and Minho had been worried at first when the man wouldn’t get up quickly, but when he rushed over the older man was just laughing at himself on the floor. He would beam up at the younger man before scrambling up and getting his chair back the right way.

 

Jinki won, but Minho claimed that he allowed the man to win, because he hated it when he pouted. Though the older man knew better, but he would let his boyfriend believe what he wanted. All that matter to him was that huge smile that was on Minho’s face during the multiple rounds they played against one another, and the cheerful full body laughter Jinki would do anything to hear again.

 

But what he enjoyed the most was when he dropped the younger man back at the apartment he shared with Jonghyun that the younger man whispered into his ear after they parted from their goodnight kiss. “Thank you.”

 

Those two softly whispered words made Jinki’s heart beat faster against his chest, and a warm cozy feeling descend over him as he looked down at the man he loved more than anything. He smiled, “Anything for you.” He then planted soft kisses all over Minho’s face, loving the bashful giggle as he continued his assault.

 

“Lunch tomorrow?” Minho asked quietly with a small smile on his face and a slight blush to his cheeks.

 

“I’ll make it?” Minho nodded and giggled once more when his nose was kissed.

 

“Get out of here you big lug.” The younger man whined as he swatted the man away.

 

The other man’s soft chuckling could be heard until the elevator doors closed.

 

----

hey look.. i finally finished d. and im happy with it. yay