U is for Unified

You Are More Than Your Chair

Minho was never one to invade Jinki’s workplace. He was always invited in. He may help pay the bills every month but that studio was the older man’s and he wasn’t about to intrude on it. Even when they were dating, he would never interrupt him unless it was urgent because he knew just how much his craft meant to him.

 

But when he woke up multiple nights to have Jinki missing from his side of the bed he began to get curious. The first time it happened he had been way too tired to really care. He had just turned over and fallen right back asleep. When he had woken up in the morning Jinki was curled up against his back, and he felt the man’s soft breaths on his neck. Bummie came running in to wake them up a moment later; jumping up and down on the bed until Jinki growled and scooped the boy down under the covers.

 

The second time he had waited for almost an hour to see if Jinki would come back. He ended up falling asleep with his book on his chest. He had woken up with a horrible pain in his neck and if he really thought about it that entire day he could see guilt in Jinki’s eyes when he looked at him.

 

The third time he had reached for his wheelchair that had been pushed against the wall near the bedside table and gone to see where he was. When he pushed the button for the elevator after making sure the man wasn’t just getting himself a sandwich or something he knew that the man was probably just down in his studio doing something for work. So Minho turned back around and went to bed. He wasn’t about to interrupt whatever the man was doing.

 

Once it happened once again Minho finally allowed curiousity to get the better of him. He was annoyed and irritated if he was honest with himself. What was Jinki doing for hours during the night down there that he couldn’t tell him about it?

 

The studio was freezing as the elevator doors opened. Minho pulled his robe tighter around himself before quickly hitting his palm on the top of his wheel. “Jinki?” He called out softly.

 

He heard a soft swear and the crash of metal that made his heart sieze for a moment. Jinki appeared from behind a pillar a moment later. Different colored paints dripping down his face. “Minho.. what are you doing up?”

 

The man just crossed his arms. “I could ask you the same thing.”

 

Jinki’s shoulder’s slumped as he pushed the paint up and out of his eyes. “I.. I guess I should show you.”

 

"Show me what?"

 

Jinki just motioned with his hand before disappearing the way he came. Minho bit his lip. He heard the man call for him, “Minho come on.” And that’s when he pushed on his wheels and followed.

 

Jinki was standing behind a canvas, one that he had been working on before when Kibum had run to him days before. He had a cloth in his hand, gently wiping the paint off his face and hair, but he would still have to take a shower to get it all out. He looked over at him with soft eyes and motioned with his hand again for him to come closer.

 

Minho finally looked toward the canvas and he didn’t know if he wanted to cry or hug the man. “Jinki.. what..?”

 

"We don’t have a family photo, and with the Anniversary of the day we brought Bummie home coming up soon. I didn’t want you to see until I was finished so coming down here for an hour or two every other night seemed the best idea…. "His voice trailed off. "Look it was a stupid idea. I’ll just go put this in storage."

 

But when he moved to do just that Minho’s hand wrapped around his wrist and tugged him back. “No.”

 

"What?"

 

"Don’t put it away." He tugged a little harder and made Jinki fall into his lap. He gently kissed the man, and he didn’t care one bit about the paint that was now on his own face, "It’s beautiful, and you know we’ve always had that place above the couch. We look unified.. like a family."

 

Jinki swallowed thickly. “You really like it?”

 

"I love it. Just like everything you do." Minho reached up and pulled him into another kiss.

 

Jinki just smiled and softly ran his finger through the blue paint that was on the man’s cheek, speading it around in a loop. “Even that?”

 

Minho chuckled, “Yea. Even that.”