E is for Elevator

You Are More Than Your Chair

Getting around was pretty easy. Most places had at least one elevator if it had multiple levels and ramps if there were stairs, so Minho really couldn’t complain much. The bars that were attached to his wheels so that he didn’t have to rub his palms raw on the tire had enough padding on them to prevent blisters, and with the new cushions in his chair (thanks to Jinki) his wasn’t going completely numb like it used to. Before they had been replaced the chair had indentations where he sat for hours on end, and it was getting really uncomfortable most of the time. 

 

But there were always placed that didn’t have an elevator, and he would feel like a burden for the older man when they would turn around and go someplace else. Like that fancy restaurant Jinki took him to for their first anniversary, and how the waiter was being such a jerk because they asked for the chair that was provided to be taken away; or the time that they couldn’t go into this store together because of the vast steps that lead to it, and Jinki didn’t want to go without him. Of course he had felt horrible as they went to eat, because he knew that the older man really wanted to see what the new shop had. Minho tried not to think of it much, because Jinki was all smiles and soft kisses no matter where they could or couldn’t go. 

 

When Jinki called him to say he forgot his wallet at home and there was no way he was going to eat the food that was in his mini fridge at work Minho had just laughed and said that he would bring him some food. The older man had been ecstatic to see him at work, flowering him with soft kisses all over his face as soon as his office room was shut. Jinki was dressed differently than most of his colleagues. Maybe it was the difference in his job, being they were in finance and marketing and he consulted with clients to design jewelry, but as they dressed in full suits Jinki was just wearing a silk dress shirt and black pants that fit him almost perfectly. 

 

Jinki sat on his lap then, because his chair was way too far away from the younger man and he said that he missed him, and softly ate the food the man had brought him. Because he was so happy to see him Minho made a habit of going to see him for lunch on days that his school was closed, and if not lunch, to bring him some type of snack after he got off work and the older man was still. Around 4 o clock Jinki was running on empty most of the time. His boss was a royal pain in the most of the time, not liking his sketches the first time and after changing it the way the man wanted it hating it and liking the first one, and he always had a headache by the time he got home to Minho.

 

The only problem with doing this was Jinki got used to seeing him 3 times out of the week. Nothing is wrong with that, until the elevator broke one afternoon he came with lunch (because the school was closed for some type of holiday Minho didn’t really care about) and there was no way for Minho to come up and see him. So he called the older man, telling him such, and that the elevator wouldn’t be fixed until the end of the day. Jinki had almost whined into the phone, saying he needed his Sunshine to brighten his day, and the younger man had laughed and told him just to come down and get the food.

 

But of course Jinki didn’t do that. He couldn’t just come get the food and be content with that. He had to have his Minho time, and nothing, not even the stupid broken elevator would take that from him. So in the middle of the really busy lobby they found a spot near the fountain, and instead of sitting on the chair across from him, Jinki decided that even if they were in a very public place he didn’t care if he sat on his lap. Of course they show affection in public, but it was never in such a big place and never at the man’s work. Minho knew that most people weren’t okay with same relationships, and that was okay as long as they weren’t bothered by those people. Doing this in here could risk Jinki’s job, and it didn’t seem to even cross the man’s mind.

 

When he broke off a fry and pressed it against the younger man’s lip, and Minho shook his head and pressed his lips together he knew something was wrong. He set the fry back on the paper before them, wrapped an arm around Minho’s neck and after pushing his hair back he asked, “Are you not hungry? You always want some of my fries.”

 

“People are starring.” Minho hissed as he glanced around them.

 

Jinki didn’t even bat an eyelash as he grabbed the man’s face and pressed their lips hard together. After a moment he parted, his lips and running a thumb over the younger’s bottom one. “If you haven’t noticed I really don’t give a .”

 

“Jinki!” 

 

The man shrugged. “What? It’s like those men whose wife brings them lunch and they basically have with their clothes still on. I’m sitting on my boyfriend’s- no my partner’s- lap enjoying my lunch with him. If they want to stare and judge me, us, then I’ll give them something to judge.” 

 

“Jinki. What if your boss finds out?”

 

“That I’m gay?” He asked rather too loudly for Minho’s liking. “If he’s bothered by that and fires me he should fire himself.” 

 

“Huh?” 

 

“Choi Siwon has a man at home waiting for him too you know. Been together for a maybe a dozen years. Since high school I believe.” 

 

"Really?"

 

Jinki giggled. " Of course Love. He's been dying to meet you. We talk about you and his partner all the time over lunch."

 

"Oh." Minho mumbled softly, "You know I really shouldn't be getting you fries. You're supposed to be watching what you eat." 

 

Jinki just pouted and grabbed another fry to shove in his mouth. He then whined as Minho pushed the paper away. "Minnie! Come on I've been good lately." 

 

The younger man just gave him a pointed look, and for a moment he believed that he wouldn't fall for the pouting that Jinki was giving him, but a moment later he was sighing and pulling the paper back. "Fine. But this is the last time I'm bringing you greasy food." 

 

Jinki contently ate the fries, but there still was a slight pout on his lips, "Stop babying me so much."

 

"I'd rather not have you collapse again Jinki. I don't have the heart for that."

 

Jinki looked up at him, eyes wide. "I'm sorry.. I never think before I speak." 

 

Minho gave him a soft smile before tighting his grip around the man's waist. He nuzzled his head into the spot between Jinki's chin and chest and mumbled. "It's okay. I just really don't wanna lose you."

 

Jinki wrapped his arms around him, fries forgotten as he focused on his partner. He pressed his lips against Minho's hair and said softly, "You won't." 

 

And this time Minho really didn't care that people were staring. He just wound his arms fully around the man and held on tight.