A is for Apple

You Are More Than Your Chair

The fork that the older man had held between his finger and thumb softly clattered against the plate before him as he stared dumbly at his boyfriend sitting across from him. His jaw was slack, his fat lips parted as his eyes blinked in quick succession. Minho giggled softly from behind his hand, gently laying his own fork softly on the edge of the plate. It was when the waiter came back and asked if they wanted more water that he snapped out of his stupor.

 

“You’re telling me that you’ve never had apple pie?” Jinki asked softly as he watched the younger man gently swirl his straw around the rim of the water glass. Minho nodded, his slightly longer hair swishing back and forth with the movement. “Like ever? How have you survived?” 

 

Minho snorted. “You’ve never had pizza, so don’t be questioning my survival here Jinx.”

 

The older man pouted, “But but… it had fishes on it. Little tiny icky fishes on it.” He hmphed before taking a sip of his water, “Well I know what we’re doing for desert.”

 

Minho groaned. “But I’m not hungry enough for desert Jinki!”

 

But the older man was already shaking his head. “You have no choice. I’m giving you culture. Now finish eating.”

 

Minho raised an eyebrow at him before shrugging. Every now and again he would glance up at his boyfriend and catch the man looking back at him. Jinki would smile that small warm smile of his that would cause Minho to duck his head as heat rushed to his cheeks. The older man would softly chuckle, because he boyfriend was just the cutest thing sometimes, and after a couple times being caught staring he reached over to squeeze the man’s fingers gently with his own. Minho lifted his hand and planted a kiss on Jinki’s knuckles with a small shy smile, before nervously laughing as he tried not to look like a fool.

 

And as they made their way out of the nice restaurant, Jinki walking behind him gently pushing his wheelchair and leaning over to talk quietly with him, Minho said, “You’d think after almost a year we would be past the blushing shy phase of our relationship.”

 

Jinki’s warm breathy chuckles made the younger man’s spine tingle as he felt them against his neck as the man replied, “Well I think you’re rather adorable when you blush Baby.”

 

It was a Saturday, a normal weekend evening where they would go out to dinner to just be around each other. With the older man’s busy weekdays at work, and Minho finishing up his Junior year at the university, they really didn’t have much time to just be, well, them, but Saturday nights were their day. No matter what happened the day was theirs, and it was something that both men looked forward to. Of course there were phone calls every night before bed, and text messages throughout the day, but it just wasn’t the same as being near the other man.

 

When Jinki pushed him toward the opposite direction of the ice cream place they usually went to Minho was officially confused. He didn’t say anything though, because the older man had a way of surprising him in a way that he would never get tired of.

 

He was pulled to a stop in front of a small bakery, and before he could even open his mouth his wheelchair was being gently lifted over the small doorstep; Jinki’s hand was firm on his chest to make sure he didn’t fall forward as his other hand and front foot lifted the chair up. The man grunted softly, and for a moment Minho was guilty, but then he was being pushed into a shop that smelled amazing. His eyes widened as he took in all the different sweets and pastries that were on display.

 

Jinki just smiled as he looked at his boyfriend fondly and sneaked away to the cash register. When Minho looked up again the man was walking back with a plate that looked to be topped to the max with ice cream. He set the plate on a nearby table, and after pulling the chair away he motioned for the younger man to come over.

 

Minho looked at the dessert for a moment before looking up. “What is this?”

 

“What you’ve been missing.” Jinki replied as he picked up the fork and broke a piece of the pie off. “Here open up.” Minho just pressed his lips together and shook his head. The older man just looked at him, like he was completely done with him. “Would I ever feed you something that would harm you?”

 

“No.” He admitted reluctantly. When Jinki nudged his lips with the spoon he opened up his mouth and took the dessert.

 

Jinki’s eyes looked over the man’s face for any indication on what he thought about the pie, and when Minho didn’t do anything but continue to chew his smile fell. “Do you not like it?”

 

But then Minho smiled and leaned over to kiss Jinki’s cheek. “It’s delicious.”

 

Jinki pouted softly, “I thought you didn’t like it.”

 

Minho picked up the discarded fork and picked a small piece of the pie up, making sure that it had enough of the ice cream on it, and placed it into the older man’s mouth. “I was just messing with you.” Jinki beamed as the rich warm apple cinnamon flavor exploded on his taste buds.

 

He gave the younger man most of the pie, he didn’t really mind it. Especially when they made their way to the park and after sitting on the man’s lap he could taste the fruit in the younger man’s mouth.

 

Minho and apples were a great combination.