Chapter 13

Black & White

Donghae’s POV

 

I like Eunhyuk.

 

I’ve repeated the same lines in my head for the nth time that day that it had already turned into a mantra.

I sat silently at the bench near the school garden, glancing at my phone from time to time.  I had distanced myself from other people since I felt that I was still in an unstable situation, and even a single wrong move could push me to the edge.  Besides, I wasn’t ready to face Siwon…especially when I’ve finally accepted my feelings towards Eunhyuk.

 

I still can’t believe I was pathetic enough to actually fall for someone who was just treating me nicely.

Then again, Siwon treats me nicely, but I never fell for him.

I stare back at the message flashing before the screen.  It was the same message I had received during the festival night just before I almost left the area.

 

‘I will do my best!  Thank you, Hae.^^’

 

I sighed in frustration.  I wanted to blame Eunhyuk for causing the emotional turmoil that I’m currently in.  But then, it wasn’t like he told me to like him, in the first place.

I read the message again before sighing once more.

How can a meaningless message from him able to make me scream from happiness?

 

“Oppa, what are you doing?” My thoughts were distracted by the sudden appearance a blonde head peeking over at my phone.  I quickly closed my phone before pushing the girl away lightly.  “What is it, Jessica-ssi?” I hesitantly scooted over to give her space to sit down.  She had her arms crossed and her face turned into a pout.  She wasn’t as adorable as Hyukkie when he pouts, though.

Aish!  Stop thinking about him!

I focused back at her and noticed how she wasn’t smiling as brightly as before every time she sees me.

“Are you alright?” she quickly shook her head as if saying she was fine.  I wasn’t completely convinced but I let it slide for the moment.

“So, what have you been checking from your phone for hours now, oppa?” she asked with a sneaky smile.  “You’re not waiting for a message from a ‘certain someone’, right?  I mean…you would tell me if you’re dating someone, right, oppa?” She teased while I shuddered.  “No, I’m not dating anyone.  But I don’t see why I should tell you if I am.” She quickly held her chest and feigned hurt, “I’m your number one fan, oppa!  I’ve liked you for years!  You should at least inform me if you’re dating someone else.”

I chuckled slightly, thankful that Jessica was there to distract me from thoughts of Eunhyuk.

 

This only reminded me of the reason why I liked Jessica.  She may have been persistent about asking me out, but she wasn’t obsessed.  Our friendship weighed more than her infatuation.  It made me wonder why I didn’t fall for her instead.  Wait, actually I knew the reason why.

She isn’t Eunhyuk.

 

After a few minutes of silence, she finally turned back to face me again.  I saw the uncertainty in her eyes but before I could question her about it, she had already spoken.

“Oppa, you can always tell me if your heart already beats for someone else.”

I would’ve dismissed her words if it weren’t for the look that she was giving me.  It was a look of sincerity, and at the same time, all-knowing.  That was all it took for me to focus my whole attention at her.

“I wouldn’t mind if you like someone else!  I’m completely fine with always being second on your list!  I’ve lasted for years in this position, and I don’ mind continuing!  I could always bear the pain…”

I stopped her rambling before finally laughing heartily.  Once again, she entertained me with her delusional thoughts.

“I’m glad you’re smiling now.”

I looked at her questioningly while she smiled warmly at me.  “Eunhyuk-ssi asked me to cheer you up.”

As soon as she mentioned the name, I felt my heart skip a beat.  But then, other than feeling giddy, I was more confused.

“You don’t even know I’m in his class, right?.” She once again acted offended before smiling back, “It’s the first time he talked to me…and for a moment I felt like I was cheating on you.  He really is tempting, you know?  His voice sounded y and…” She stopped mid-sentence once she noticed the darkening aura I was emanating.  “Uhm…so going back.  He told me that my ‘jagiya’ doesn’t look too happy nowadays.  And who else could he possibly be talking about, other than you?  So here I am, cheering you up!” She smiled proudly as if she had just saved me from self-destruction.

 

Or maybe she did.

 

If there was anything meaningful in her babbling, it was the fact that Eunhyuk had noticed me.  And he was worried.  Right then and there, I immediately regretted avoiding the guy just for my own selfishness.

I like him, and he doesn’t know it.  All he knows is that I was suddenly avoiding him.  And putting myself in his shoes, I’d probably feel ty.  But of course, I have no idea of how he really feels…but that wasn’t important now.

The mere fact that he noticed me was enough reason for me to feel the fluttering butterflies in my stomach go wild.

“You like Eunhyuk-ssi, don’t you?”

My eyes widened at Jessica’s words.  I turned to face her and saw the wry smile back on her face.

“Don’t worry.  You’re not acting too obvious.  I just figured it out at random.”  I remained speechless, my eyes were probably bulging out and my mouth could be hanging in an awkward way, but I couldn’t care less.  She immediately laughed at my face and explained, “I live a few blocks away from him and I saw you walking with him once.  I was also near you during the festival.  I can’t believe I’m the only one who noticed!  You even had this goofy smile and he had this gorgeou—” She paused once she noticed my annoyed glare. “Never mind that.  Anyway, don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone!”

I breathed out a sigh of relief and gave her an apologetic smile.  This time, she sported again the usual bright smile that she wore and patted my back.

“I’ll always love you from the sides, ok?  Donghae-oppa, hwaiting!”

 

..--..--..

“Donghae?” Eunhyuk asked once he noticed the brunette sitting on their living room.  Once the younger heard his voice, he immediately stood up to greet the other with a bone-crushing hug.

“I’m sorry.”

Eunhyuk remained stunned in his place.  He was yet to grasp the fact that Donghae had ran to hug him.  It has also surprised him that the younger was back in his house after several weeks of no communication.  After a few seconds, he finally managed to react, not reciprocating the hug just yet.

“You ignored me at school.”

Donghae smiled bitterly, remembering how they had the same conversation before, just in a different situation.

“I know, and I’m sorry.” He continued hugging the other guy, despite the other’s motionless stance.

“Care to tell me why?”

“I was just busy.”

“Busy with what?”

Thinking of you.

“School stuff.” He lied.

They both fell into silence, with Donghae still wrapped around Eunhyuk.  If there was one thing that he was thankful for at the moment…it was the fact that Eunhyuk didn’t push him away.  He quietly inhaled the familiar strawberry-scent from the guy; and from then he knew, he may have decided to keep his feelings to himself, but it never stopped him from longing for the guy.

They both remained still, not moving away from each other, when the older finally broke the silence.

“Don’t do that again.”

Donghae immediately looked up and felt the older’s arms snake around him, finally returning back the hug.

“I missed you, Hae.”


Chapter 13 =_=

*sigh* I don't even know what to say...
I am completely overwhelmed by the support this fic has been recieving.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the subscribes, comments, love and support!>w<
 
see you on the next update...