Chapter 5

Black & White

Donghae’s POV

“I saw you with Lee Sungmin this morning.  I didn’t know you knew each other.” Siwon said casually, but I could sense his curiosity dripping from every word. After all, Sungmin was Eunhyuk’s friend…and Siwon hated that guy with a passion.

“We used to be in the same club before.”  I answered shortly, not taking my eyes away from the notes I was reviewing.  “Really?  I thought you never joined clubs?”

Crap.

“I joined once.  Remember I attended one meeting for the singing club?” I tried to say as calmly as I could.  It would have been a flawless explanation if not for Henry butting in, “You went there to talk to Yesung-hyung…how does that make you a member?”

For the first time in my life, I wanted to bury the guy.

“Henry, aren’t we having a test in history today?  What was your score during the last exam again?” I gave him a mocking smile, knowing that Henry barely passed the previous exam.  In a matter of seconds, he grabbed his own notes and started studying.  I almost sighed in relief when I noticed Siwon casting a suspicious glance at me before turning to his own notes.

Well, if he isn’t asking any further, then it means he’s over it.

I shrugged and went back on memorizing the random historical dates scribbled on my notes.

 

Needless to say, I did well on the test and I could tell with the relaxed stature of Siwon that he didn’t do badly either.  Henry, on the other hand, was busy nagging Kyuhyun to come up with an excuse for his parents about his grades.

The moment we entered the cafeteria, my eyes darted across the table where Eunhyuk usually sat.

There he was, listening intently to Shindong’s story while drinking from a carton of strawberry milk.  He looked no different from how he was at his house…if you look past the cold glare he gave the girls who dared to go near them.  Alright, maybe he really is bipolar…

I can’t help but feel good about the fact that I know his…secret persona.  It gave me a sense of confidence that I could actually be one of the few who could approach him.

We’re considered friends now, right?

I continued casting glances towards their table, silently hoping that he’d look in my direction so that I could greet him.

Suddenly, our eyes finally met.

I flashed one of my best smiles and was about to wave when he suddenly faced back at Shindong.

He didn’t just ignore me, right?

 

..--..--..

Donghae sulked on the way home with Siwon.  Henry and Kyuhyun already went their separate way, leaving the two alone to head to their own homes.

“Are you alright?” Siwon’s question startled the other guy.  “You’ve been sighing ever since lunch time.” The taller guy said as if it was an obvious thing.

Actually, Donghae really feels bad.  He still can’t get over the fact that Eunhyuk had ignored him during lunch.  He even waited for a few more minutes, hoping that Eunhyuk would look back at him, only to end up in disappointment.  What’s even worse was after that, Eunhyuk had looked in every other direction except for his.

“And now you’re spacing out on me.  Are you really okay?  Is something troubling you?” He was snapped out of his thoughts by the worried question of Siwon.  But how was he supposed to tell the guy that the reason for his terrible mood was Eunhyuk?

He mentally sighed before giving Siwon a convincing smile. “I’m just tired.”

 

As soon as they neared the park, Donghae suddenly made an abrupt stop, causing the other to almost stumble in surprise.

“You go ahead.  I remembered that I still had to buy rice cakes at the store.”  Siwon only gave him a confused look.

“Are you sure?  I could come with y—“

“No!”

Siwon was obviously taken aback by Donghae’s immediate refusal but decided not to think about it too much.  “Okay then.  See you tomorrow.” He reluctantly said before taking his leave.

 

Donghae’s POV

I breathed a sigh of relief as soon as Siwon was out of earshot.  I knew that this would probably one of the stupidest things I’ve done but I have no plans of backing out.  I just had to meet Eunhyuk.

 

Ding dong~

 

After a few seconds, the door to Eunhyuk’s home finally opened.  I had already mustered the best frown on my face in case Eunhyuk would be the one to open the door.  He needs to know how dismayed I am.

But as fate may have it, it wasn’t Eunhyuk who stood at the door.  Instead, it was his mother.

“Yes dear?”  She smiled warmly.  I probably looked stupid with the obvious shock on my face.

“Eunhyuk, is it?  He’s on the first door on the right.” With the same warm smile, she stepped aside to give way for me.  I’m glad she didn’t find me weird.  Or maybe she did, but she was good at hiding it.  I quietly mumbled a thank you and bowed to her before heading towards the stairs.

 

Locating his room was easy.  It was the only door with the words ‘Hyukkie’ doodled on it.

I would’ve laughed it off if it weren’t for my sour mood.  After an almost inaudible ‘come in’, I entered his room.

Eunhyuk lay comfortably on his bed while browsing through a magazine.

Isn’t that a woman’s magazine?

I shrugged off my curiosity and decided to go straight to the reason why I was there in the first place.

I cleared my throat in an attempt to get his attention. Judging from the look on his face, he probably was expecting Sungmin or someone else other than me.

He quickly straightened up and pushed the magazine aside, away from my view.

“Uhh…yeah, Donghae-ssi?”

 

It took me a few seconds to gather my thoughts.  I had always been vocal when it came to what I feel.  I never liked holding grudges against people.

But now that I was in front of him, I found the small amount of courage I had mustered crumbling slowly.

However, it was now or never.  There is no turning back, Donghae.

 

“You ignored me at school.”

 

There.  Plain and simple.  I don’t even understand how he could act normally towards me now when he clearly ignored me earlier at school.  “You could’ve at least tried not to make it obvious.” I bitterly spat with a frown.

I could tell that he was surprised.  It was obvious since he had left his mouth open.  I would have found it adorable…if not for the fact that it was unnecessary at the moment.

It doesn’t seem as if he was going to talk soon, and since I’ve already said my point, I didn’t think my presence would still be needed.  I turned around, getting ready to leave when he suddenly spoke.

“I’m sorry.”

I stopped on my tracks and turned to face him again.

“What?”

“I’m sorry.” He repeated…oh god, is he pouting?  Yes he is.

Great, now I feel like the villain.

“J-just t-tell me why you did that.” I’m even stuttering now…and he’s still pouting. Curses.

I can’t even look away.  I’m so pathetic.

“I just don’t think it would be good for you to talk to me at school.  Your friend isn’t very fond of me.”

“Siwon?”

He nodded…and now he started chewing on his lip!

WHY ARE YOU MAKING THIS HARDER FOR ME?

I wanted to scream at him to stop acting so…so…

Cute?

No.  I was going to say ‘innocent’.

 

“You know what, never mind.  I get it.” I hadn’t noticed that I wasn’t angry at him anymore.  Although I still feel cheated.  His aegyo was like an underhand attack.

“So this ‘keeping your secret’ deal involves pretending not to know each other at school.” I didn’t intend to sound too upset, but I can’t help it if I’m a terrible liar. “I understand.  Siwon can be really…annoying at times.”

He only nodded.  Thankfully he had stopped his tiny antics earlier, or else I would’ve had a heart attack.

“But I could still visit you, right?  I mean, we ARE friends now, right?” I blurted without a thought.

I must’ve sounded desperate.

“Yeah.  You’re always welcome with us, Hae.” Other than gracing me with one of his gummy smiles, he even called me ‘hae’.

I swear this guy was out to kill me.


Chapter 5 ...=_=

You guys make me cry.  I can't express how much I love all of you!  Thank you for the subscirbes, comments, and love! >///<

Anyway, I apologize for the late update!  And as usual, comments are highly appreciated!