The Bartender

A Thousand Fireflies

“What did you just say?” She wanted to confirm what she just heard. I became silent in a long while and tears were the only answer I can gave her. Then she took my shoulders and starts shaking me.

 

“Yoochun, is NOT the father of my baby…” I shrieked. Her hands slowly dropped off my shoulders. She can’t look straight at me or rather she chose not to look at me.

 

“What have you done?” Soo Young sighed in disbelief. “So all this time, you’re cheating on him?”

 

“I never cheated on him…” I shook my head. “And God knows how much I regret that I made that foolish mistake…”

 

--------Flashback-------------

6 weeks ago…

 

“Get your hands off me!” I struggled from Yoochun’s grip.

 

“Babe, I-I’m sorry! It wasn’t what you think it was…” I looked up only to find his apologetic eyes staring intently at me.

 

“I saw you and Tiffany kissing!” I blurted out. “And now you want me to believe that it was nothing?” H e remained silent. “I may not be smart enough but I’m not dumb!”

 

Yoochun cleared his throat. “She kissed me first!”

 

“I don’t give a damn care on who initiated the kiss! What hurts me most is when I saw you returning her kisses!” He didn’t utter a word to defend himself. He tried to embrace me but I stepped back. “I think we need a break Chun…” I turned my back but he swiftly hugged me from behind. “Babe, I’m sorry…Please don’t leave me…I promise to make it up to you…” He whispered gently.

 

“Chun, let me go…” I shut my eyes tight to hold back the tears that were starting to cloud my sight. I could feel his gloomy figure as I continued to walk far away from him.

 

Yoochun and I have been together for a year already. He’s my first boyfriend and hopefully my last. We never fought…not even once. But it all changed when Tiffany comes in the picture. She knows very well that Yoochun and I are into a relationship but she kept on flirting with him even when I’m just around the corner. As much as I wanted to pull every strand of her hair and bang her face on the floor, I controlled myself from doing so…cause I thought Yoochun’s love for me is more than enough for him to resist her filthy acts. But I was wrong. And by this time, I think Tiffany’s jumping in extreme happiness ‘cause she was able to get what she wants.

 

------------------------

I cried and cried hoping it will wash the pain away but it didn’t. Yoochun flooded my inbox with messages saying how sorry he was but I opt not to text him back and ignore his calls.

 

My eyes were swelling from the intense crying session I had but still I couldn’t cry myself to sleep. I staggered out of bed in the middle of the night and rushed to a pub few blocks away from our residence. Luckily, I have a friend working inside thus I was able to enter without anyone questioning my age.

 

It was my first time to go inside a pub and when my parents find out what I did…I’ll be locked up in my room for one whole week.

 

“Can I have a shot of tequila, please?” I uttered weakly as I sat on the empty seat at the bar.

 

“I think it’s best if you’ll have ladies drink instead…” A man with a husky voice suggested.

 

I lifted my head up and saw this fine looking man. His black tress, round eyes, pouty red lips and pearly whites can actually make a girl fall off her seat. I’m so sure that I’ve seen him before but I couldn’t recall where.

 

“But tequila has more alcohol content than ladies drink, right?” I asked him.

 

He laughed. “Minors like you shouldn’t take strong alcoholic drinks…”

 

“I’m not a minor!” I denied.

 

“Yes you are!” He said. “I don’t know how you got here…but I could tell the guards to send you off to your house immediately, if you insist to drink tequila…”

 

I waved my hands fast. “No! Please don’t! My parents are going to freak out!” I reached for his hand. He startled. “I’m sorry…” I pulled my hand out and looked away.

 

He turned his back and started mixing drinks. I watched him silently as he toss and turn the bottle and poured the cocktail on a glass. “Here’s your drink…less alcohol content…” He pushed the glass towards me. “Thanks!” I replied back with a weak tone.

 

“Always keep in mind, that alcohol can’t solve your problems!” He reminded.

 

I let out a sigh. “But it can make me numb even for just one second…” I mumbled as I continuously stir the cocktail with the straw.

 

I chugged on the first glass. Then I asked for another one. He reluctantly poured the cocktail. “Are you sure you want another one?” He asked worriedly.

 

I nodded firmly. “Don’t worry I can pay for this…” Few minutes after, I had the last drop and taste it as I my lips. I was about to get another glass when I started to feel that the pub was spinning around. “I’ve had enough…” I said as I leave the payment beside the empty glass. Searching for the exit, I stood up and look around…but my condition gone worse. It turned out that my tolerance to alcohol isn’t as high as I expected.

 

Still I tried to keep my stance and stormed across the drunken party goers. My body’s swaying as I took each step. Suddenly, my visions became hazy then it all went black.

 

---------------

 

The next morning, I was awakened by a throbbing headache. I tried to sit upright but I felt something strange. As I slowly opened my eyes, I realized that I was not inside my room. Then I saw an arm wrapped around my waist. I could feel my heart skipped beats when I saw the bartender beside me. We were both . Our clothes were piled up on the floor. I couldn’t remember a single thing after I fainted. He was sleeping soundly when I sneaked myself out of the room.

 

--------End of Flashback---------

 

“Since then, I never saw him again nor do I wish to see him once more…” I breathed deeply from the confession I made.

 

“What’s his name?” Soo Young probed.

 

*DING…….DING…….DING…….* (School bell rang)

 

“Save by the bell…we’ll talk more about this later…” She stood up and gave me a helping hand. She fixed my hair and put a light make-up on my face to hide my puffy eyelids so no one will notice that I cried a river.

 

She stepped out first and I followed her from behind. “I want to skip class…” I said to her.

 

She turned around and smacked my head. “PABO! Do you think you can run away from Yoochun if you skip class?”

 

“But I don’t how to face him now that I find out that I-I’m ----“  She quickly cut me off. “You should have thought about that before you entered that pub and drowned yourself to alcohol…” It hurts but I affirmed everything she said.

 

We were both walking hand in hand back to our class when we heard girls screaming. My eyes shifted to the direction where the voices were coming. “Oh NO!” I swallowed hard and hauled Soo Young inside an empty room.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” She asked, still panting.

 

“What the hell is he doing here?” I mumbled to myself as I nervously paced back and forth.

 

“Who?” She asked.

 

“T-The bartender…” I choked on my reply as I bit my lip hard. My body starts to shiver from intense fear.

 

“You mean the father of your baby is HERE?” Soo Young said loudly. I hastily covered with my hand. “Keep your voice down!”

 

“Where is he?” She asked as I pulled my hand away. “At the hallway…”

 

She moved a step forward. “WAIT! Where do you think you’re going?” I raised an eyebrow.

 

“I want to see what he looks like!” She simply answered. “He’d better be handsome enough for you to cheat on Yoochun…if he’s not…I swear I’ll beat your fat so hard!” She scolded, chuckling.

 

“I never cheated on HIM!” I defended myself. I tried to restrain her but she’s too stubborn. I heaved as I watched her peek at the hallway.

 

A minute after,  she rushed back to me and said “You’re kidding, right?”

 

“Do I look like I’m cracking joke?” I said sarcastically.

 

She shook her head. “I’m not threatening you…but you just officially signed your name in a very complicated situation…” Soo Young said in one breath, and then lowered her eyes.

 

“What do you mean?”