Promises

A Thousand Fireflies

Yoochun held her hand close to his heart while she rested her head on his shoulder.  She could feel his heartbeat that screams her name. He kissed her hair while whispering words of love to her ears. She closed her eyes, trying to simmer each second she has with him. His voice became melody and his words became lyrics to the beautiful love song they created inside there own little world. Everything was perfect, romantic…and though people say that ‘not all good things last forever’ they wished and prayed that this would last a lifetime.

 

“Babe…how much do you love me?” Yoochun asked, breaking the silence. She opened her eyes and lifted her head as she stared straight to his eyes.

 

“Why’d you ask all of a sudden?” She questioned with worries in her eyes. He shook his head then smiled as he gently caressed her cheek with his fingers. “I just want to know…”

 

“You already know the answer to that question…” She pouted cutely which makes him chuckled at her cuteness.

 

“I want to hear it again…” He insisted poking her pouting lips lightly with his index. She rolled her eyes and think of a better way to say ‘I love you ten million times…’  She then looked up and saw the star cluttered sky. “There…” She pointed a finger at it. He followed her gaze.

 

“Count the stars up above us and that’s how much I love you…Park Yoochun…” She said proudly. Her cheeks blushed right after.

 

“You’re so cute…” His eyes were stuck on her lips as she mouthed each word. “That was embarrassing…how could I think of such mushy words…” She covered her face with both of her hands. But he instantly took it off and said, “It’s alright…you’re the cutest when you’re shy…”

 

“Wait ‘til you hear what my answer is…” He smiled making her cheeks redder than it already was. Strange how he can make her fall in love over and over again with just a smile…she doesn’t know why. But she’s addicted to it. When she’s bored, she just sat on his lap and stretched his lips until he let out his most charming smile. It’s a habit that she couldn’t break. His happiness is her source of happiness too.

“Count the number of sand grains in the world and that’s how much I love you…” He uttered with his husky voice.

 

“LIAR…” She hit his chest lightly.

 

“EH?”

 

“You blinked thrice when you said it…” She pretended to be so pissed off.

 

“What does blinking have to do with the words I said?” His face seemed more confused.

 

“YOU didn’t blink even once the first time you said that ‘You love me’…” She crossed her arms and looked away. He held her chin and brought it back to face him.

 

“This time I won’t dare to blink…” He cupped her face and slowly closed the distance between their faces until his lips touched hers. He kissed her passionately and she returned it willingly with the same intensified feeling. She was lost in his eyes. And was defeated when her eyes closed and her lips acted on their own.

 

Their lips parted and when she opened her eyes…he still was looking straight into her…

 

“I love you…”

 

She never doubted his feelings. Right from the very start she knew how much he loves her. And he even proved it when he didn’t turn his back that time when he found out that she’s pregnant to another man.

 

*Stolen my heart… Stolen my soul…I’m filled with so much that I can’t breathe*

(Tonight)

 

He placed her fragile body in his arms.

 

Oppa, I’m sorry that we had to go through this…

I’m selfish I know…

But I love you too much that I can’t let you go…

I wouldn’t want this to end…

Hug me tight so no one can come between us…

- Hyun-Ae

 

*If only you could stay close enough to me so that my heart can relax...
Just so that I could see you...I would be very happy.*

(Miduhyo)

 

* I just hope you will believe in whatever I tell you
whatever they say, I don"t care, I love you
 I can't lose you*

(Whatever They Say)

 

Babe, please wait for me…

I’m coming back for you…

I promise…

-Yoochun

 

As much as they both wanted to stay like that forever even if it numbs their limbs, they couldn’t. He pulled away and stared at her face seemed memorizing the details cause he wouldn’t want to miss a single thing.

 

“I have to go…” He then placed chaste kisses on her forehead down to the tip of her nose then to her lips.

 

“To where?” She asked, tears pooled in her eyes. “Can I go with you?” Tears warned to fall any minute.

 

He shook his head. “I’m sorry but you can’t come with me…” He wiped her tears. “But I promise I’m coming back…”

 

“Would you wait for me? Promise me you’ll wait for my return…”

 

She nodded, kissing the palm rested on her cheek. “Don’t make me wait for so long… or else I’ll find another groom…” She chuckled.

 

“Wherever I am…you’ll always be here…” He pointed on where his heart is. Then he stood up and walked away.

 

She stared at his back and tears fell down incessantly as he slowly vanishes to her sight.

 

***

“Noona! Yah! Noona! Wake up!” Moonbin sat beside her sleeping body and poke her cheek lightly. She made funny grimaces while the little boy wiped the single tear that escaped his noona’s eyes.

 

She raised her arms and swung it in the air until one of her hands got hold of his shoulder. She pulled him closer and hugged him tight.

 

“Noo-arghhh…Noona, wake up! I can’t breathe…” Moonbin struggled but he can’t escape from her sister’s grasp.

 

“Noona!” He then aimed for her weakest spot which is her waist. He tickled it until she opened her eyes, let go of him and pulled herself up into a sitting position.

 

“YAH! Why’d you do that for?” She rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand.

 

“I was about to go downstairs when I heard you mumbling something…” The boy explained himself.

 

“So it was just a dream…” She muttered under her breath and then droplets of tears fell down again. She bit her lower lip, trying not to breakdown in front of her little brother. Moonbin spread his arms wide enough to hug her “You miss Yoochun hyung, right?”

 

She nodded.

 

“Stop crying noona…he’s not going to leave you…”

 

She pulled away and wiped her tears dry. “How sure are you?”

 

“It’s just the gut feel that tells me he’s not going to leave you…” She let out her first smile of the day…all thanks to her brother.

 

“PALI! Breakfast is ready…” He jumped off the bed and pulled her arm.

 

“Aish! You go ahead first…I’ll be there in a minute…”

 

“Make it fast…Dad’s waiting…” He opened the door and stepped outside then he peek his head a little and stuck his tongue out before leaving. “You look ugly when you cry …”

 

“YAHHHH!” She threw a pillow at him but then he closed the door before the pillow hits him.

 

“It was just a DREAM! And dreams are opposite of what happens in reality…he’s not going to leave me…” She breathed deeply and then took a shower.

***

“Where’s my son?” She slammed her fists on the nurses’ station. Her heart was thumping so fast and it could burst any minute.

 

“Where is he?” She yelled, not minding people’s eyes at her.

 

“Mrs. Park, calm down…he’s on the operating room…” The nurse calmly said. “Please fill out this form first…” She handed her a pen.

 

She sat at a nearby chair, but she couldn’t write anything on the paper. Her body’s present but her thoughts were wandering somewhere else. What makes it worse was her body’s trembling, knees wobbling and her hands were shaking. She can’t even write his name on it. The ink blotted slowly forming small circle as she stared at it while her tears started to wet the piece of paper.

 

The nurse noticed that she was spacing out so she approached her and write the details on her behalf. A few minutes after the nurse filled the form for her, the doctor went out of the Operating Room.

 

“How’s my son?” Mrs. Park asked worriedly.

 

“He’s out of danger…” The doctor said, making her heave a sigh of relief. “The impact brought about by the accident caused trauma to his brain…it shows on his CT scans that the part of the brain which houses the memory and speech centers were the ones greatly affected…”

 

“Does that mean my son could possibly loss his voice and his memory?” Her legs were wobbling uncontrollably and any minute she could breakdown.

 

“We don’t know yet…most of the cases we handled with the same case as your son, they were able to recover after a few months…but then recovery period varies to each patient…we just have to wait ‘til your son gains his consciousness back and then we will run some tests again to check his cognitive functions…”

 

She couldn’t stand still. At the back of her mind, she blames herself for everything that has happened. And now his adopted son, whom she cherished with all her heart, was on the verge of losing his voice, moreso, his precious memories. The voice she had loved and will always love. What if when he wakes up and suddenly all his memories are gone? What would she tell him? How could she comfort him without feeling guilty, that his sufferings were all because of her?

 

How could she be so selfish?

How could she sacrifice her son’s happiness so that another person close to her heart can benefit from it?

 How could she love them unevenly, after she found out what Jaejoong is to her?


Regrets…Remorse…Guilt…Anger…

No matter how many times she blames herself…

The damage has been done and she can’t take it back…

 

“I’m sorry son…I’m so sorry…” She fell on her knees as she covered her tears-drenched face with her hands.

 

-Flashback-


“Mom!” He pushed the front door harshly with his teeth gritting in anger. Mrs. Park came out of the kitchen and asked “What’s wrong?”


“What is this all about?” He showed her the invitation that Eun Mi gave. “I thought we already talked about this…I’m not going to marry Eun Mi! I don’t love her…”


“You will learn to love her eventually, son…” Mrs. Park uttered calmly. “Just think about it! She’s a sweet girl and you will have a greater future with her…”


“MOM! Hyun-Ae’s pregnant…”

“….to someone else….” She finished the thought for him. “She cheated on you…how can you just let it go? I don’t want you to take the responsibility of someone else’s…”


“I don’t care if I’m not the real father…all I want is to marry her and I’ll do my best to be a great father for her child…I love her too damn much too think of anything else…”

“Eun Mi’s the right girl for you…fulfill your father’s last wish don’t disappoint him…”


“MOM! I can’t! I thought you said you don’t want me to live in misery…then why are you doing this to me now? You don’t want me to be happy! All you wanted was to do that stupid arrange marriage! Dad’s dead! I don’t have to do this!” He yelled and then a he got hard slap on his cheek.


“Don’t speak ill to someone who took good care of you and treated you as his own son! You should atleast do something for him…to repay all the hardships he has gone through because of you…”


“Mom…what are you talking about?” He asked, touching his aching cheek.


“YOU’RE NOT MY REAL SON!” She blurted out.


“What?” His mouth hanged open. He still couldn’t believe what his mom told him.


“Before all of my energy was drained from the hours of labor, I heard the nurses screamed that I gave birth to a healthy baby boy and they said he has a birthmark on his neck…” She smiled while recalling that happy moment in her life. “And then I lose consciousness…the next morning, I found myself lying in the hospital bed with your Dad beside me…holding my hands…” Then her expressions changed with obvious sorrows in it.


“I asked him if he could tell the nurse to bring my baby to me…but he didn’t say anything…and he refused to look at me…that’s when I felt that something was indeed wrong…” Her tears fell. “And then he said that the baby went missing…I couldn’t understand what was he talking about…I just got birth to healthy baby boy and I’ve never held him in my arms…” She then sat on the edge of the chair, stretching her arms and clinging for support. “My feet instantly got dragged to where the nursery is...I searched and closely looked at each babies from the viewing area but none of them has a birthmark on his neck…” She continued.


“I went hysterical. I was in massive shock. I was so scared that I might not see my baby again.” Yoochun walked beside her and caressed her back. “I asked the hospital to search for my son…and in return if they find where my son is…I promised that I will never sue them for negligence…”


“But days and months passed by…no witnesses appeared, that could lead me to where my son is…” She paused for awhile then breathe in deeply. “ Those were the most agonizing days of my life…waiting while keeping my faith, hoping that there’s still good in the hearts of those people who took my son…I refused to eat and drowned myself in depression…”


She turned her body to face him, placing his face on her palms. “Everyday was like living in hell…I couldn’t go on with my life…I couldn’t help but think if they were treating my son well…I came back every single day and stare at the babies on the nursery, hoping one of them is my son…and that’s where I saw you…”


“You were always the silent type…the one who barely cries…One day the nurse, out of sympathy, allowed me to go inside the nursery. I immediately stood by your side…and you smiled back…your smile brought colors to my gray shaded life…and when I was about to leave, you held my index tightly with your cute little hand…”


“A week after, I found out that you were abandoned by your parents…so we decided to adopt you…” She smiled. “And that’s where I started to regain my strength to live…the moment I held you in my arms…I already treated you as my real son…”


He embraced her tightly and kissed her hair. “Mom, if you really love me…let me be happy with the girl I truly love…”


“There is something that you need to know…” She pulled away and held his arms lightly.


“I found him…”


“Who? Your son?”


She nodded. “And he is Kim Jaejoong…”


He stood up and scooted a feet away from her. Everytime she tried to reach out, he took steps backward to avoid her.


“Umma, so the real reason is not because you want me to fulfill Dad’s last wish…it’s because you’re setting aside my happiness so Jaejoong can have it…” His tears fell down unknowingly.


“No…son, please listen to me…” She begged.


“No Mom! I’ve had enough of your lies…” He then stormed his way out of the house, leaving everything. All he had was the clothing that he was wearing. He ran away, not looking back with still confused thoughts and the only thing that’s clear in his mind was Hyun-Ae.


He needs to see her. He longs for her embrace…her warmth…He wants to take her away from everyone else…


He was in deep thoughts and all his vital senses were shut off from reality. He didn’t hear the car that was fast approaching to his direction. The driver was obviously drunk cause the car sways from left to right. When he finally noticed it, it was too late. The car hit him. And then his visions went pitch black.


-End of Flashback-

 

***

 

“Goodmorning mom!” She kissed her on the cheek and helped her with the plates on her hands. Just when she got hold of the first plate, it slipped through her hands and then it hit the ground…breaking it into pieces.

 

“OMO! Are you okay?” Her mom checked her from head to foot.

 

She placed a hand on her chest…feeling her heartbeat beneath her rib cage…

The feeling’s familiar…it squeezes her chest, depriving her from breathing normally…

Cold sweats starts to appear on her forehead…

Her body trembled though she wasn’t sure what the reasons are…

The only thing that crossed her mind…

Was the image of him on her dreams, when he turned his back against her…


‘Promise me you’ll wait for me…’

 

*End of Chapter*

 

-----

yey! I'm back with another chapter!

hope you guys like it! You guys are my inspiration! Keep the comments coming!

Saranghaeyo! ^^