Painful Truth Part2

A Thousand Fireflies

*Your POV*

 

Piano keys played from the old music room few feet away from the school’s gym. As soon as I heard it, I instantly knew that it was him. The music exuded a very sad feeling that made my heart sank further. It reflects the same emotions he probably has right now. As I slowly opened the door, I saw his back facing me. Tears started to flow uncontrollably once I recognized what song he’s playing. It was “LOVE BYE LOVE”…Is he saying goodbye? Is he going to leave me without asking what happened? He said he needs space. I guess I have to wait ‘til he’s ready.

 

I was about to swiveled around and leave the room when he stopped. “Are you leaving without saying a word?” He uttered without turning back. “Huh?” My voice cracked. “You’re still the stubborn girl that I love…I know you’ll going to look after me though I told you I need space…” He mumbled. I wiped the tears on my reddened painful cheeks. “I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to disturb you…I just want to make sure that you’re safe …” I shut my eyes tight, not wanting to shed another tear.

 

I wanted to see his face. Palmed his cheeks on my hands and apologize sincerely but I couldn’t. He’s just a few feet away but it seemed that were miles apart from each other. “Don’t leave…sit here…” He patted the seat next to him. I was in daze and I didn’t know what to do. “C’mon sit here…” He patted the seat again without looking back. “I’m off key…I need someone who’ll clap for me after I play this song…sit here ‘til I finish it…” He prompted. I walked closer to him and did as what he told me. Now we’re sitting elbow to elbow. He’s face down with eyes staring at the piano keys. And I couldn’t say a word as I shot side glances at his face. My fists were clenched onto my lap as I sat there nervously. The next three minutes was the longest three minutes of my life. I felt like it’ll never stop. And I’d do everything it takes just to stay this close to him. Just sitting right next to him gives me a mixture of relief, guilt and shame but I was happy that he didn’t push me away. He’s playing ‘LOVE BYE LOVE’ again. I don’t want this song to reach its end cause that might be the end of us too.

 

--------Flashback----------

“Yoochun~ah, what are we doing here?” I asked him. He beamed a smile. That smile that I couldn’t resist. “Why do you look so scared?” He asked as he held my hand and placed his fingers in between mine. “Aish, even your hand is too cold…” He continued. “What if someone sees us…you know that this music room has long been abandoned and we’re not supposed to go in here…” I uttered worriedly. “This wouldn’t take long, I promise…and if someone sees us then I’ll deal with all the consequences so you need not to worry…” Then he showed me that smile again. We walked hand in hand inside the old music room. Dusty floors, cobwebs on the ceiling and hazy paned windows can be seen as soon as I stepped inside the room. I coughed a few times when I inhaled dust from the messy place. “You okay?” Yoochun my back gently. I nodded. “Yeah…Oppa, I think we should go back…” I mumbled. “Not yet…” He said firmly. “But we’ll get sick if we stay here another minute…” I raised my free hand and used it to cover my nose and mouth completely. “And…” I was about to say something when my eyes caught a creature crawling on the floor. My eyes went wide open in shock. “AHHHHHHHHHHHH!” I screamed loudly.

 

“What’s wrong?” Yoochun held me in his arms. My arms wrapped around his neck and my face buried on his broad chest. “Babe, what happened?” He asked. “T-T-There…” I stuttered in fright as I pointed a finger onto the gross creature on the floor. “Where?” His face still confused. “I can’t see it…” His arms were comforting me. “Just look around…that creature is just hiding somewhere and he’s ready to attack me any minute…Oppa, let’s go back!...” I whined in his chest, not wanting to lift my head up. “Eh, what creature? There’s nothing else in here besides that cockroach!” He exclaimed. “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That’s it!” I nodded fast. “I hate cockroach!” I squeezed him tighter. He chuckled. “It’s just a cockroach…you’re way bigger than IT…” I pouted and stomped my feet towards the exit. But he blocked the doorway. “I’m leaving…” I stubbornly said. He raised his hands up. “I’m sorry…please stay, this wouldn’t take long…” He pleaded. “Better make it fast… I don’t want to be late for the next class…” A smile lit up his face as he took my hand and dragged me to one corner of the room. He motioned me to sit on a chair as he took off the white cloth covering the old piano. “Is it still working?” I uttered with unsure face. He nodded. “Yeah…I play this piano every now and then…” He took my hand and pressed my index on the keys. “I’ve written a song for you…” He smiled. He started playing a sad song. Three minutes passed and it ended. “Did you like it?” He asked. “Yeah…but why is it sad song?”

 

---------End of Flashback---------

 

Since that day he played that song for me, he didn’t bother to tell me the reason why it was sad. And I on the other hand, didn’t ask why for the second time.

 

“Do you still remember this song?” He asked, this time our eyes met. I could see pain in his eyes as he stared back at me. “Yeah…” I nodded weakly. “Yoochun~ah…” He cut me off. “Aren’t you interested to know why I wrote this song for you?” He asked, forcing a smile. “Cause I know this day would come…I’ve known it back then that I can’t hold you in my arms forever…” He uttered seriously. “But God knows how I tried to keep you by my side…” He continued. Feels like I’m an ice cube melting on the cold grounds. Each drop of freezing cold water washed every bit of hope I’m clinging to. The warmth that was once shared by us was slowly vanishing as coldness took over. Tears start to build up, clouding my visions…until I couldn’t hold back anymore and let it flow down. “Why are you telling me these things now? Are you going to break up with me?” I yelled. I know I don’t have the right to yell at him. But it hurts too much! All I wanted is time to explain my side, and after that it’s up to him if he’s going to stay or not. Cause I wouldn’t stop him from leaving if he wants to.

 

“Have I not been good to you?” He asked. Still sobbing I said, “Don’t say that…you’ve always been good, loving, caring to me. You’re way too perfect for me. You loved me unconditionally and accepted my flaws. It was my fault and no one else should be blamed for it…It was me who’ve done you wrong…” I paused for awhile and wipe my tears dry.

 

“It all happened 6 weeks ago when we fought…I was crying myself to sleep but I couldn’t. So I went to a nearby pub and then I got drunk. Jaejoong was the bartender that night but I never knew back then that he’s Tiffany’s boyfriend. I fainted after drinking few shots of ladies drink and that’s the last thing I could recall. The next day when I woke up, I found myself inside a motel room and he was right beside me.” I heaved a sigh. “I’m sorry…I know this word isn’t enough and it will never be enough but that’s all I could do now…cast all the blame in me! Hate me! Curse me! Hit me! Do whatever you want if that will ease your pain…” I never realized that ‘sorry’ is the hardest word to say ‘til this moment came.  I startled when he cupped my cheeks and planted a soft kiss on my forehead. I lifted my hands and placed it on top of his and cried harder.

 

“You know I couldn’t do those things…” He mumbled softly. “Oppa, I’m sorry...I’m so sorry for hurting you…” He pulled me close to a tight embrace as I flooded his shoulder with warm tears. “Shush…it hurts me when you cry…” Somehow I felt relieve that he understands me, after all that has happened. But part of me was still in fear, that maybe when I pulled myself from his embrace, then that maybe the last time I’d ever feel his presence. I simmered every single second of it, his arms comforting me, his lips touching my skin, his manly scent, his husky voice as I shut my eyes tight while picturing his cheerful face the first time I met him.

 

 Minutes passed, no other sounds were made. Silence hovered and it was just him and I seemed hugging each other endlessly. Then he patted a kiss on my hair. That was it! He’s leaving. No words needed to say. I could feel it by the way he stared at me. It was a cold, blank stare. Those were the kind of eyes that I saw in my dreams. He’s saying goodbye. “Hyun-Ae…” He whispered almost inaudible. But it came to my ears like a wake up call. He’s not going to stay! ‘Til the very end, I kept that granule of hope but it was instantly taken away from me. “I know…” I whispered back. I didn’t give him another chance to speak. I stood up and ran towards the exit. My legs were trembling tremendously but I couldn’t falter in front of him. Moreso, I couldn’t show him how weak I was. I couldn’t let him care for me…not anymore…cause that would just aggravate the guilt I felt towards him. “Thank you for every thing…and sorry…” With those final words, I stormed my way out of the room. Leaving the man I love with all my being. That man who taught me how to smile genuinely. That man who did everything for me but all I did was just hurt him in return and threw everything that we shared for over a year, in trash. It was more than enough that he understands me. Any sane guy wouldn’t settle for a girl who cheated on him. What’s worse is that act of infidelity left a huge responsibility on my side. And Yoochun just did the right thing. He’s young, smart and has the great future ahead of him. The pain I’ve caused him was unbearable and I shouldn’t be the reason for him to leave his dreams behind.

 

--------------------

*No One’s POV*

 

“Choi Haneul” Mrs. Lee called.

“Present!”

 

“Go Eun Chan”

“Ne!”

 

“Han Hyun-Ae”

“…………”

“Han Hyun-Ae”

“…………”

Mrs. Lee lifted her head up and asked “Soo Young~ah, where’s Ms. Han?” Soo Young shrugged. “I don’t know ma’am…” Then she lifted her eyes beside Tiffany’s seat which was also empty. “And where’s Mr. Park?” Her eyes squinted. “What’s going on here?” Mrs. Lee asked curiously. Tiffany stood up. “Mam, Hyun-Ae is…” Jaejoong was scared that Tiffany might spill the news out to everyone. He hastily pulled himself up and slammed his fists on his desk, catching everyone’s attention. “Ma’am, I have to use the restroom…” One quick nod from Mrs. Lee then he was all set to rush outside the room. But before he did, he left Tiffany with a glare. Tiffany slumped back to her chair, rolled her eyes and crossed her arms around her chest as she watched her boyfriend walked away.

 

----------Flashback-----------

“Get your hands off me! I’m not going to let that off!” Tiffany shouted as she struggled from Jaejoong’s grip. “I said STOP! They have to talk!” Jaejoong shot back.  “Do you like her?” She asked bluntly. Jaejoong looked away and refused to answer. “What is wrong with you? You never really cared to anyone else but me! Why are you being like this?” He loosened his grip from her shoulders and turned around. “Drop the thought Tiff! That’s too absurd.” He hissed.

 

 “Well then, you think it’s ridiculous, huh?” She raised an eyebrow. “Then it’ll be fine with you if I tell this to everyone? I’m sure Hyun-Ae’s perfect image in this school will turn upside down, when they heard about this juicy issue…” She threatened. “Go ahead! Pshhh, you’re digging your own hole! Tell them, so that I’ll have another reason to break up with you!” He uttered with a stern look on his face. “You can’t do that! You owe me your life! If it wasn’t for me ----“ Jaejoong didn’t let her finish her words. “That’s exactly the reason why I’m staying with you! Because of a debt! A debt that I’ve long been suffering. And though I wanted to leave you even before Hyun-Ae came, I couldn’t…cause my conscience can’t take it!” Tiffany s her arms around Jaejoong’s waist and rested her head on his back. “I promise...I wouldn’t tell this to everyone…just don’t leave me…” She whispered calmly.

 

 The furious, raging emotions of the devil fairy changed split seconds after he heard the seemed threatening words from his man. The man who patiently stayed by her side all these years. As soon as she heard the man heaved a sigh, she felt relieved. But at the back of her mind, she was plotting something that would make the other girl’s life miserable…she’ll take revenge no matter what happens!

 

She’s jealous of the fact that Hyun-Ae has the attention of everyone. She’s a definition of perfection as to what others say. And now these two guys are still after her though she committed mistake! Tiffany was more than determined to hurt Hyun-Ae any possible way she could. But now, all she needs to do is to act as if she understands everything, in front of Jaejoong. She couldn’t afford to lose Jaejoong. Not now and it will never cross her mind in the months and years to come.

 

----------End of Flashback-----------

 

Jaejoong excused himself from the class so he could search around and look for you. He couldn’t just sit back on his chair cause he knew his thoughts are wandering far from his physical self. He scampered, keeping his eyes wide enough so he wouldn’t miss a single hint that could lead to your location. He doesn’t care if he sees you with Yoochun, all he wanted was just to see you in a safe state. His heart was throbbing as he peeked on every corners of the school. He went to all the possible places, keeping the thought to himself that he shouldn’t make any noises along the hallway that would take other people’s attention.

 

Panting hard, he stopped in front of a deserted place in campus. He discovered that place of serenity the moment he stepped inside the premises of the school. Jaejoong spent most of his time there to clear his boggling thoughts. There weren’t any noises that could ruined his short nap during breaks, cause the old-oak tree situated at the center of the seemed creepy grounds keep the students away from his self-claimed crib.  

 

He placed a hand on his chest and exhaled a deep forceful breath as he started walking towards the tree. Dried leaves drifting away as a cold breeze passed by. As he lifted his head up, he saw a girl sitting on the ground. Her knees flexed, touching her chest with her chin resting onto one of her knees. He didn’t have to look closer to confirm that it was you. He could hear sobs as he tiptoed closer, not wanting to scare you. As much as he wanted to give you a warm comforting hug, he knew that it wasn’t right. But at the back of his head, just one gesture from you that you needed someone, will make his feet rush towards you and make his wide arms  willingly open for you to take.  He sat there silently, eyeing your back and sniffing the lavender scent from your black tress as it sways back and forth whenever the wind blows.

----------------

*Your POV*

“Do you know how much I hate you?” I blurted out with obvious crack on my voice from the incessant crying session I did. I know it was Jaejoong. His scent was all over the place. Those scent that I’ve been trying to get rid of this past weeks. I wouldn’t argue that he really smells nice but Yoochun’s was different. I’ve been used to Yoochun’s scent. He smells like one of the signature perfumes though he hardly used one. I’m going to miss that masculine scent of him whenever sweat drenched his shirt after he’s done with his basketball practice. That’s one of those memories that I’ll definitely miss. Memories that’ll bring me both sorrows and glee.

 

“Just let me stay…I wouldn’t bother you…” He said softly, his legs straightened with his extremities extended drawn slightly backwards supporting his upper body while his head facing the sky above us. “Leave me alone!” I yelled. He sat silently and didn’t move a bit. “YAH! Didn’t you hear me? I said LEAVE ME ALONE!” I burst all my kept emotions at him. I screamed at the top of my lungs. It feels good that I could pass even a part of the burden I carry to someone else. Though I know it wasn’t right…though it was selfish! At least for once I have someone to blame…someone to share my pain…Though my mouth kept on pushing him away, my inner self wants him to stay. But my mind and my heart are battling for dominance. And my mind claimed victory in the end. “Why are you here? You should have been there beside your girlfriend! Go away! Comfort her, stay with her, pacify her…I don’t want to see your face ever again!” It was harsh, but I have to shove him away. Away from me, my baby…my unfortunate life! I don’t want anyone to take pity on me. I have to endure everything, all by myself.

 

Pissed off, I stood up and brushed some dried leaves and dirt on my skirt. I was about to leave when he held my wrist and pulled me back. I stared intently on his orbs, giving him death glares enough to make his grip loosen. But he didn’t. “Why don’t you just leave me alone? YES! I’m PREGNANT! Yes, YOU’RE THE FATHER! What else do you want from me?” I screamed loudly. My eyes were welling up again, any minute my face will be soaked again with warm transparent fluid. The traces of my previous crying session were still evident on my face. “Are you worried that I’ll make you responsible for this?” I hissed then looked away. “Worry no more cause I’ll raise this kid alone! And I wouldn’t ask anything from you!” I kept on shouting words but he didn’t say anything.  “I HATE YOU SO MUCH! HOW I WISH I NEVER MET YOU! THOUGH YOOCHUN AND I WILL NEVER GET THE CHANCE AGAIN TO END UP TOGETHER, I WOULD NEVER EVER LIKE YOU!” I placed my hands onto his chest and pushed him away with all my strength. Then turned my back against him and ran hastily without giving a damn care about everything that was happening around me.

 

-----------------------

 

*Jaejoong’s POV*

 

She didn’t mean those words that she said. She’s probably upset of everything and those words were just a product of all the locked up emotions inside her chest.  And even though every word was true, she has the right to say it all. I ruined her perfect life and perfect relationship with Yoochun and now she’s hurting because of me and my foolishness! My feet got stuck from where she left me. I watched her every move as she walked farther from me. A tear unconsciously trickled down my cheek. The sun-lit sky above us suddenly replaced with gray clouds. Thunders roaring, giving us warning that it’ll rain soon. I couldn’t take my eyes off her as I drowned in deep thoughts and blame myself thousand times for letting her experience this kind of pain. I drifted back to my senses when I heard a car at full speed coming close to her.

 

“HYUN-AE~AH! HYUN-AE~AH!” I called her twice. But like me, it seemed like she was lost. A reflex pushed me forward to rush to where she was standing blankly. With each step I took, my heart would pause for awhile then race back again. With one swift motion, I pulled her back before the car hits her. Her face rested on my chest. She struggled but I hugged her tight, placing her safe in my arms.

 

“YAH! Do you really want to die?!” The man peered on his car’s window and shouted angrily. “YAH! You almost hit her! Aren’t you going to apologize to her?” I shot back. “AISH! If you have petty arguments with your girlfriend then do it somewhere private!” The angry guy drove off the place still pissed off. “YAH! DON’T YOU EVER COME BACK HERE OR I’LL BREAK YOUR NECK!” I threatened, almost forgetting that I still have her in my arms. I pulled away and check her from head to toe if she’s fine. “Are you okay?” I asked her worriedly.

 

“WHY DON’T YOU JUST LET ME DIE! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SAVE ME? I WANT TO IN END THIS MISERABLE LIFE!” She shouted hopelessly. I startled. “IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DIE, THEN DON’T ING DIE TO PLACES WHERE I CAN SEE YOU! CAUSE I WOULD RISK MY LIFE TO KEEP YOU AND MY KID SAFE!” I shot back. “I care for you and my kid! Even if you don’t like me and though you hate me to extremes…just pretend that I’m just a random stranger that cares for you! Pretend you don’t know me and we just met today…” I pleaded. “Jaejoong~sshi, I don’t want your sympathy! Please don’t care about me! HATE ME! DESPISE ME! Just don’t be too nice to me…It hurts me more to know that the father of my child was not as bad as I thought he was and I couldn’t reciprocate your feelings towards me…it’s enough that I broke one’s heart…I couldn’t bear it to tear another one…” Her red, puffy eyes seemed wanting to shed tears again but I guess she had enough for today.  “I didn’t ask for you to love me back ...and I have no intentions of using the kid as an excuse for you to like me the way you like Yoochun…just let me stay, that’s all I ask from you…after all I’m still the father of your child…I want to share your burden…”

 

She didn’t answer back. I’m just glad that she’s probably pondering the thoughts inside her head now. She didn’t reject me nor pushed me away again. We just stood there as it started drizzling. The heavens must felt her grief as droplets of water came down from the sky. The angels cried in her behalf. I took my coat off and placed it on her head. Then I held her hand and dragged her to a nearby shelter and watched and waited for the rain to stop.

 

“When the rain stops, I’ll walk you home…”

 

“You don’t have to…” She mumbled as she sat at the far end of the bench.

 

“But I want to…” I uttered with authoritative, firm tone.

 

**End of Chapter**