Bitter-Sweet Love

A Thousand Fireflies

It has been a week after I found out that I’m pregnant. And since then, I never had a peaceful sleep. Maybe because I still haven’t told Yoochun yet about my current state. As much as I wanted to tell him, I couldn’t. Because every time I gathered the courage to finally spoke up, he always beamed a smile at me that made me retreat like a selfish coward. I’m scared to lose him but I can’t keep this from him forever. Soon, my tummy’s going to get bigger and bigger and when that happens, I couldn’t reason out that I just swallowed a watermelon cause that would be the most stupid, lame excuse that only a dumb person will believe.

 

As day passes by, I tried my best to stay away from Jaejoong or from Tiffany. Whenever we bumped into each other at the hallway, I just casually say `Hi` and he surprisingly did the same. That’s how I figured out that Jaejoong wasn’t a bad guy after all. But there are quite few instances that I felt uncomfortable cause I sensed that he was staring at Yoochun and me at the cafeteria during break time. I guess I’m getting more paranoid each day and now I’m delusional and feeling things I shouldn’t feel.

 

--------------

It was a hot sunny day and I was sitting on my desk waiting for the next class to start. Yoochun was right beside me and he’s been quiet for almost 30 minutes, which really bothered me. Because usually, he makes funny faces and cracks a joke that never fails to make me smile. I was playing with my pen on my fingers when I heard Yoochun squealed.

 

“Done!” He said cheerfully as he gazed at my side. I startled and faced him giving him a `What` look. His smile grew wider and I couldn’t help but be drowned in it. `He’s so cute and charming. `  I said proudly at the back of my head.

 

“TA-DA!” He uttered with excited tone as he lifted the paper on his desk, holding it on both sides with his hands.

 

“Oppa, what is that?” I stared at the back of the paper, with my mouth forming an “O” shape as I patiently waited for what he was trying to show me.

 

“I made this for you…” He said softly. Yoochun always do romantic surprises for me. Most of the time, he apologized that he can’t bring me to fancy restaurants or go on a trip with him but he never knew that those little sweet thoughtful things he does for me were more than enough. Those are the things that money can’t buy and makes me love him even more.

 

As he tilted the paper on his hand, I saw a portrait of me swirling a pen on my hand and my free hand turned into fist supporting my chin with my eyes pointing upwards as if I’m searching for something in the ceiling.

 

“I know it doesn’t look exactly the same as you, but I tried to sketch your best angle from where I am sitting…hope you like it…” He uttered shyly as he handed me the paper while his other hand rubbing the back of his neck.

 

“Are you kidding me?” I hit his arm lightly. “This is perfectly done…”  I said as I glanced at it in awe. I saw blush crept onto his face as I praised his work. “The shape of my face, my lips, nose, eyelashes, eyebrows…” I giggled as I scanned on the beautiful work of art right before me. But I stopped when I saw my eyes. It has sorrows, grief, sadness, and glum…whichever way you want to call it. It has a gloomy feel. Even Yoochun can see it through my eyes but he never mentioned anything…not even once. All he did was just stay by my side and made me happy every single second when I’m with him. Tears suddenly welled up inside my eyes. It became heavier ‘til I can’t hold it back anymore. A tear betrayed me and escaped at the corner of my eye.

 

“Babe, D-Don’t you like it?” He asked worriedly. “If you want I can make you another one…” He said as he wiped my tears dry with his thumb. I shook my head. “No! I love it!” My voice quivers as I bit my lip to prevent myself from shedding tears. “Ahh…I’m getting too overly dramatic these days…I’m sorry Oppa…”

 

“It’s okay…” he took my hand and placed his fingers in between mine and draw it closer to him and patted a soft, gentle kiss at the back of my hand. “I love you…” He mouthed while staring intently in my eyes. Those three words that became music to my ears…he never gets tired of saying it and my ears are always yearning to hear it…But until when can we stay like this? Will he still say he love me if I told him I’m pregnant with someone else’s child?

 

My thoughts drifted back when I heard Mrs. Lee, our Biology class teacher, slammed her books on her desk to get our attention. The whole class stayed in silence and looked at her. I tried to take my hand away from Yoochun’s but he held it tighter.

“Oppa…” I whispered but it seemed like he didn’t hear me at all. “Oppa…” I called him again and this time he looked back at me. “Why?” He smiled innocently. I pouted my lips and pointed it towards my hand and his. “Babe, you want a kiss?” He chuckled. “Let’s wait ‘til the class is over…” He continued. “Aish! Yoochun~ah, let go of my hand…” I said almost inaudible. He refused then gave me a wink. “No. Let’s just stay this way…” I sighed deeply in surrender. His warm hand caressed mine. I felt secured, safe and warm for a moment then my body started to feel ice cold as Mrs. Lee began lecturing us about “teenage pregnancy”. `What a great way to start the class! ` I muttered under my breath. Why don’t we just stick to placing slides under the microscope and talk about microorganisms instead of bringing up my current dilemma over and over again?

 

“Babe, you okay?” His fingertips lightly touched my cheek. I nodded and smiled weakly. “Are you sure?” He asked again while blowing warm breath on my cold hands. “Yeah…”

 

“YAH! Park Yoochun!” Mrs. Lee shouted loudly as if we did something horrible on her class. Everyone turned their heads on us and I could feel my cheeks heating up with the sudden attention. Yoochun was still holding my hand and everyone giggled as if they were watching a cut from a romantic movie scene.

 

“You two! Enough of the mushy, cheesy scenes in my class…I’m lecturing here about teenage pregnancy and you two are not listening and completely ignoring my presence here!” She scowled. I held my head down low to hide my reddened cheeks. “I’m sorry ma’am…” Yoochun stood up still holding my hand.

 

“Yoochun~sshi, Hyun-Ae is a smart, young lady…and you too are a hardworking, respectful, honest young man…why don’t you just wait ‘til graduation and by then you start dating again…you should concentrate on your studies first…” She said with a very concerned tone. Our week wouldn’t be complete without Mrs. Lee reminding Yoochun and I about our relationship, and how it will affect our studies. But we both proved her wrong. ‘Cause I’m still the number one student in her class and Yoochun is the number two. Sometimes I feel like he gives way so I could hold the top spot in the class but he never admits it when I try to open up ‘cause he knows that I’ll be really upset.

 

“You two have a long way to go…you are both smart…you know what’s right from what is wrong!” She continuously utter words which sometimes became a bit irritating to the ears cause we’ve heard it a couple of times already.

 

“Sorry ma’am for intervening…but I just want to ask the main point of what you’re trying to say…” Yoochun finally spoke up. Geez, I love it when he smart talks. He looks so manly… as if he’s pushing aside all the hindrances between us and our relationship.

 

“Ah…Uhm, the main point is…just don’t let her get PREGNANT!” Mrs. Lee boldly uttered. I blinked my eyes twice and my jaw dropped literally then I felt my heart beat racing.

 

“But ma’am she’s pregnant!” Yoochun said, jokingly. “Oppa!” I looked at him in shock. He pulled me up to a standing position and wrapped his arm across my shoulders. “I’m just kidding… she’s not pregnant…” He took back what he said then his expressions changed. “I respect this girl so much and even if she’s pregnant, I would never leave her side cause I love her so much…” He said seriously. The whole class applauded him and I couldn’t keep my eyes away from him. Damn, I feel so guilty! He loves me too much and now it’s hurting me cause I’m not worth it! I could feel my tears building up and I let it go. I let the tears flow down freely on my cheeks without giving a damn care on the world around us. He looked at me then his eyes widened when he saw me crying. “Oh no…Babe, did I said something wrong?” He cupped my face. I shook my head. “Thank you…” I whispered. That was the only words that came out of my mouth. “You don’t have to thank me…cause everyday I thank God for having you in my life…” He whispered back and planted a kiss on my forehead.

 

“Alright! Settle down kids!” Mrs. Lee hit the board twice. “Yoochun~sshi and Hyun-Ae~ah, you may take your seats and I suggest you both audition on the theatre club cause you guys can make a tear jerker scene! I almost broke into tears while I was eyeing on you two!” Mrs. Lee’s witty comments made me chuckled and God, I thank her for making the atmosphere a little lighter for me.

 

Yoochun and I both sat down and smiled at each other. We were both busy with our own created world that we didn’t notice that there were two new faces in the class. “Hyun-Ae~ah” Soo Young said, who was sitting in front of me. “What?” I asked her. “Look and braze yourself…” She whispered. I sat up straight then my eyes flustered open as I saw them staring back at Yoochun and I.

 

“Class, listen up!” Mrs. Lee walked closer to the two people in front. “I know you all know Tiffany, right? She’s from section 3-C.” (A/N: You belong to section 3-A) The boys in our class got excited as Tiffany stepped up and introduce herself to the class.

 

“And this good-looking guy over here transferred to our school last week…I bet you already heard of his name too…” Mrs. Lee pushed him slightly. “Go ahead…introduce yourself…” She said to him.

 

As soon as he took a step forward, the girls started screaming and they giggled at his presence. “I’m Kim Jaejoong…hope we can all get well along with each other…” He bowed his head and as he lifted his head…I swear I could see him staring at me. I looked away and avoided his stare and pretended to search for something in my bag. `What are they doing here? ` My body froze and all the heart warming scenes I had with Yoochun awhile ago was replaced by a cold, frightening scene all of a sudden.

 

“These two people right here will be joining our class starting today…so you treat them both nicely, okay?” (A/N: They were both transferred to your class) Mrs. Lee said as she searched for empty seats around the classroom. But the only empty seats were on my right side and Yoochun’s left side. `Oh my God! Not here beside me! ` I repeated at the back of my mind. Me eyes could take seeing that ’s face everyday but I couldn’t sit right next to the father of my child. `Please…tell me it’s Tiffany…` I prayed silently as I kept my fingers crossed. Yoochun held my nervous hand and squeezed it as if he’s telling me that `It’s okay cause I’m right here beside you…` My body relaxed a bit with Yoochun’s comforting touch.

 

“Kim Jaejoong~sshi, you may sit beside Hyun-Ae…and Tiffany, go to the empty seat beside Yoochun~sshi…” My heart’s throbbing too fast as I felt him walking closer to me. My shoulders dropped in defeat. Somebody please kill me now!

 

I couldn’t concentrate fully on the Mrs. Lee’s class. Can you blame me? I got my boyfriend on my left side and the guy who got me pregnant on my right. Yoochun sensed that I was a bit uneasy so he stopped once in a while and asked me if I’m okay…and my answer was always a quick nod. How I wish the hands of the clock move faster! I want this two hour class to end as soon as possible. My chest are tightening and I was deprived of air…I couldn’t breathe in properly. And I can’t even hold my pen without my fingers uncontrollably shaking.

 

“Hyun-Ae!” Mrs. Lee called but I was too spaced out to notice. “Hyun-Ae~ah!” She called me again. This time Yoochun nudged my side. “Babe…”

 

“Oh!” I startled and dropped my pen on the floor. “Hyun-Ae, are you okay?” Mrs. Lee asked. I nodded weakly. “Yes, ma’am…”

“Oh, I just want to ask if you have a lot of free time after all the classes’ ends...” She said. “Y-Yes ma’am…” That was another stupid thing I made. I answered abruptly without asking `WHY`.

 

“Great!” She smiled at me. “Kim Jaejoong~sshi, meet her after class…”

 

“Wait a second…ma’am I don’t understand…” I gave her a confused face.

 

“Jaejoong~sshi is a new student and he needs someone who can help him cope up with the lessons since he missed a lot so I’m asking you a favor to teach him on my behalf…”

 

“B-But ma’am, why me?” I complained.

 

“Why not you?” She threw another question instead of a response. “You’re my number one student and I’m certain that you can teach him well…” I heaved in surrender. STUPID ME! I really want to hit my head at that moment for being such a dumb person!

 

Yoochun raised his hand. “Ma’am, I’ll teach him instead since I’m number two…” I looked at him and he just smiled at me.

 

“No, Yoochun~sshi….I need you to help Tiffany…” She said firmly.

 

“What?” Yoochun eyes went wide open.

 

“That’s great!” Tiffany squealed in happiness. I shifted my eyes and saw her placing a hand on Yoochun’s lap. I sent her death glares and she slumped back on her chair with a victorious smirk on her face.

 

“Okay…If you guys don’t have further questions, class dismiss!”  

*CLASS DISMISS* the words I’ve been dying to hear since Jaejoong and Tiffany showed up in this room. How I wish I could also dismiss myself from all these problems but I couldn’t. I just want to disappear entirely so I wouldn’t feel this tension anymore.

 

My back was facing Jaejoong. I felt my heart jumped when he placed a hand in my shoulder. I flinched nervously and asked “What?” His stares are killing me!

 

“H-Here’s your pen…” He handed my pen back and smiled shyly. “I’ll see you later after class…” He uttered sheepishly.

 

“Sure…” I said coldly without looking at him.

 

“Oh…I’m hungry…” Yoochun s his arms around my waist and hugged me from behind. “Let’s go and eat lunch!”  I nodded.

 

“Oppa, buy me food!” Tiffany walked over to Jaejoong and whined at his chest. “We’d better go…” Jaejoong bowed his head before he turned his back on us. Tiffany winked at Yoochun before she ran after Jaejoong.

 

“What was that wink suppose to mean?” I asked Yoochun as I peeled his arms off my waist and looked at him straight in his eyes. He held his hands mid-air. “Babe, don’t stare at me like that…” He hastily pecked my cheek. “Jealous much?” He twitched his eyebrows.

 

“Of course I am!” I pouted. “I’m your girlfriend and that is looking at you as if she wants to eat you up!”  He pinched my cheeks gently. “Aigoo! You’re so cute when you’re jealous!” He teased. I swatted his hand. This time, his lips brushed mine. “I love you!” I felt my legs wobbled at the sudden contact of our lips. How can I not love this guy? Isn’t he the sweetest thing? ^^

 

“Aish! Enough of the sweetness…let’s go grab something to eat!” Soo Young stomped her feet outside the room. “Ants are coming over to this room because of your candy coated sweet love relationship…” We both chuckled at her as we watched her walk away. “Let’s go?” He asked. I nodded happily in response. Yoochun held my hands and dragged me to the cafeteria.

 

*end of chapter*