Benefit of the Doubt

A Thousand Fireflies

 

*DING DONG*

 

Yunho has been trying countless of times trying to hit the door bell, but no one seems to hear it.  Stomping his feet while pacing back and forth, thoughts of why he was there, seeped inside his head.  When he has grown more impatient waiting, he decided to leave and come back some other time.  Suddenly, an old woman came over and asked him.

 

“Are you one of the relatives of the boy?” She asked in a hoarse voice.

 

“Who?” Yunho asked, still clueless.

 

“The young man who lives there...Park Yoochun ...” The old lady answered.

 

“Aniyo...I’m just a good friend... just dropping by to say ‘Hi’ but it seems no one’s inside...”  

 

“You really have no idea what happened?”

 

Yunho shook his head. 

 

“That boy Yoochun, he was accidentally hit by a car last night...” Her face saddened.

 

Yunho couldn’t say a word.  His lips dried up as he feels cold air brushing his skin.  Then it hits him, that he needs to be strong for his sister.

 

“I overheard him having arguments with his mom last night and then he rushed outside the house and was unfortunately hit by a car...”  The old woman was on the verge of crying while remembering the image of Yoochun, lying flat on the road, in a pool of his own blood.

 

“Halmunee, where is he now?” Yunho asked, growing more concern on his sister’s boyfriend.

 

“I don’t know...” She shook her head.  “His mother asked me to look after the house and not to tell anyone what happened.  When the ambulance came, that’s the last time I saw the poor boy.  I couldn’t even tell if the boy would survive, seeing all his injuries...”

 

Yunho turned back without bidding farewell.  Not knowing where to go, he ran as fast as he could, drawing in one forceful breath when he stopped for a second and ran away again.  He doesn’t know where to start looking for him.  All he knows is that he cannot tell it to his sister.  Not until he finds out what condition is Yoochun currently in.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jaejoong  sat on the edge of the bed, half , while drying his hair with a towel.  He took his phone on the bedside table and saw tons of unanswered calls from Tiffany.  He deleted every single message he received from her, until one message caught his attention.

From Tiffany:

When the night is falling...

Bad guys start creeping up from behind...

How fast can you be to save her?...

The time is ticking away...so you better hurry...

 

Jaejoong flipped his phone shut and hurriedly took whatever clothes he can get from his closet.  Then he tried to call Yunho, just to make sure Hyun-Ae’s safe...but the latter’s phone was out of reach.

 

“Yunho...please answer the phone!!”  He then gave up and ride his motorcycle fast to get to where Hyun-Ae is.

 

“Hyun-Ae~ah, wait for me...” He mumbled to himself.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

It was getting a bit cold as Hyun-Ae took a glance on her watch from time to time.  She knows Tiffany is not the type of person she should trust, but still she gave her the benefit of the doubt.   She thought maybe Tiffany has all the good reasons why she’d wanted to talk to her; that maybe, she wanted to patch things up with her and ‘make peace not war’ just for everyone’s sake.  

 

As the cold breeze slithers her skin and the clock striking 10 past 9 in the evening, Hyun-Ae decided to just go home and meet with her the next day.   And off she goes, walking her way home.  Suddenly, two men blocked her way.

 

“Need some company?” A white guy wearing a black hoodie asked after puffing his cigarette. The other one was all smiles while looking at her.

 

She tried to avoid them but they kept on pestering her.  They followed every footstep she makes and her heart kept on skipping beats by the minute.

 

“Hey! Why are you going? We can give you a ride if you want to...” One guy said in a calm tone, but she could smell bad intentions in the air.

 

She prepared herself to run fast as she could when the guy caught her wrist and spun and her around.  He was too strong for her.   She couldn’t fight back and all she was thinking of at that time was her little angels.

 

“What do you want from me?  LET ME GO!!!”  Hyun-Ae shouted loud enough for everyone to hear, but sadly, no one seems to answer her plead.

 

“Why are you so fierce huh? We just want a few shots of you and then we’re even...”

 

“Few shots?  What do you mean?”  She asked, trying to pry off his hand on her wrist.

 

The other man took a camera out of his pocket and took shots of her.  Flashes of light blinded her sight for a moment and all her eyes did were to shed tears.  Tears of helplessness...and tears filled with hope that someone will come to save her and her unborn angels in danger...

 

“You look so beautiful even when you are crying....” The man exclaimed in awe while looking at her pictures.  “Your lips look so inviting...makes me want to nibble it...”

 

The guy holding her wrist moved closer and tried to kiss her.  She pushed him away but her strength wasn’t enough.

 

“Hey!! Stop it...we have the pictures...that’s all we need...we have to go before someone sees we’re harassing someone here...let’s go!! Leave her alone...” The guy holding the camera said.

 

“Now I know why she hates you this much...cause your damn beautiful...” He said not minding what the other guy said.

 

“Who is SHE?”  She asked, shivering from the cold air.

 

“You don’t need to know...now can I get a goodbye kiss?”

 

She closed her eyes for a moment and gathered all her strength to the images of herself, her babies, Yoochun, and her family.  She was all set to push him hard when she heard noises.  As she opened her eyes,  she found herself standing a few inches away from two people both throwing of fist.  She then noticed a familiar face.

 

“Jaejoong??”

 

Although Jaejoong was really good in fist fighting, two heads are still better than one.

 

“YAH! HYUN-AE~AH! RUN! PALI!” Jaejoong shouted still throwing punches at them.

 

 “Anya!! I’ll stay here...”

 

“Just leave! Save yourself and the baby!”   Jaejoong momentarily stopped to turn his head.  Their eyes met.   She could see in his eyes the deepest concern he has for her and her babies.  By then, she knew it was best to run away but with no intention of leaving him alone.

 

The guy who was beaten badly grabbed the chance to throw punches back at Jaejoong.  The latter was hit on the face and his body.  He could feel the pain, but what concerns him more now is her and her safety.

 

“GOOOOOOOOO!!”  Jaejoong screamed again.

 

“Wait for me here! I’m coming back.  I promise.”  She then ran away to a safer place so she could ask for help.  She flipped her phone open and dialled the police hotline.

 

“Hello, police station?? My friend needs help...”

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Aish! Hyun-Ae~ah, I told you these are just minor injuries...I don’t need to go to the hospital...”  Jaejoong kept on complaining while she dragged him to the hospital’s entrance.

 

“YAH!! It’s the least I can do to help you in return...so please, just be quiet and let them treat those cuts...” She hissed.

 

“Only you can heal these wounds...”  He mumbled to himself.

 

“Bwoh? What were you saying?”

 

“Nothing...” He shook his head and smiled seeing  her beside him.  Her hand was wrapped around his arm.  He could feel her warmth, her care and the comfort she could bring.  For Jaejoong, that was the only thing he needs.   If only that moment could last a lifetime...he’d be the happiest man on Earth.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“I told you...they’re just minor scratches...they’re so lucky the police came, cause if not, they might crawling back home in pain...”  He boasted off.

 

“YAH!!  Owww...Ahh...”  She placed a hand on her tummy.

 

“What’s wrong? Is the baby coming out?” Jaejoong panicked.  “Breathe Hyun-Ae~ah...breathe...”

 

“PABO!!”  She sat on the nearest couch and rest for awhile.  Jaejoong sat beside her still asking her what’s wrong.

 

A couple was walking in front of them and they overheard them say, “Look hubby, they look so young and in love...they will make a good family...”

 

“You’re lucky your husband really loves you...” The girl said happily.

 

“Ah...uhmmm...he’s not my...”  Hyun-Ae~ah wasn’t able to finish her words.

 

The couple left and there was awkward silence.   A few minutes passed by and when they both stood up, they just realized where they at...in front of an OB/GYNE clinic.

 

The silence was broke when they saw Yunho.  He looks very tired and sweaty.

 

“Oppa!! Are you okay?” Hyun-Ae rushed to his side and asked worriedly.

 

“What are you two doing here? And why do you have injuries Jaejoong?”  He asked back.

 

“Long story Oppa...i’ll tell you once we get back home...”  Hyun-Ae said in a calm tone.

 

“Oppa, have you talked to Yoochun?” 

 

“Yoochun?  Ah yes...Yoochun...” He stuttered, trying to find the right excuses to say.  “His neighbour told me he went out of town...and she is not sure as to when he is coming back...”

 

“Bwoh?  But why didn’t he tell me he is leaving?”

 

“He must have his own reasons why...let’s just wait ‘til he comes back and let him answer those questions of yours...For the mean time, let’s go home and have some rest.”   The last thing Yunho doesn’t want to do is to lie to her.  But he’d rather tell lies than hurt her more.  He knew it was wrong but he couldn’t tell her what really happened to Yoochun...not now...

 

“Jaejoong, we’ll take you home..” Yunho uttered in a tiresome voice.

 

*End of Chapter*   

  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It's been months since I last updated this fic...I'm really sorry...I've been too busy with work that I couldn't update this...

Thank you all for those who patiently waited...and I hope someone's out there still reading this...

I miss you all so much...

Quite a boring chapter....

Saranghaeyo <3