Am I Still Dreaming?

A Thousand Fireflies

“Of all the guys out there, why does it have to be HIM?” Soo Young asked. I didn’t pay much attention to her and continued to munch on the egg rolls I was craving for. Pissed off, she snatched the chopsticks from my hand. “Give it back to me!” I said. She dropped the chopsticks on the table and gave me a glare. “Can we just stop talking about this ‘til we finish eating?” I asked her. “How can you eat like a starving beast while you’re on the midst of a dilemma?” She sighed.

I can feel my best friend’s deepest concern and though it seems like I’m just taking everything lightly…I wasn’t. I’m broken like a shattered piece of glass and the splinters are piercing every inch of my epidermis.

Even the slightest hope, that I’m going to get through this nightmare, is slowly sloughing off my grasps. I needed something sturdy that I can hold on to. Yoochun’s love for me is the only light I can see through a tunnel. But the closer I looked at it, the shinier it gets causing pain in my eyes. I have to tell Yoochun about this baby. He has the right to know. Maybe I should start learning how to see in the dark…because I need to be prepared if my sole source of light decides to leave my side.

“Babe!” Yoochun called at the doorstep of the cafeteria waving a hand at me. He’s wearing the brightest smile that made me fallen deeply in love with him. He rushed towards our direction then patted a kiss on my forehead before he swopped the seat beside me. He s an arm across my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder. “I missed you!” He whispered.

“Chun…” I peeled his arm off my waist but he swiftly placed it back. “Ouch!” I groaned as Soo Young stomped on my foot hard. She gave me a ‘what are you doing look’ Yoochun wasn’t able to see what she did.

“Babe, are you okay?” Yoochun asked nervously. “Y-Yes…” I nodded. “There’s just a big ANT that bit my foot!” I glared at Soo Young. She chuckled.

“Hold on a second, let me check it…” He bent over aiming to touch my aching foot but I stopped him. “Oppa…I’m fine….”

“Are you sure?” He asked again. “Yes…” I simply answered. Then I cupped his face and pecked his cheek. “I’m sorry…” I uttered almost inaudible. “For what?” He questioned as his fingers gently caressed my cheek.

“Chun, we have to talk about ----“ I was cut off from my supposed to be “confession” when I heard Tiffany’s voice. “Listen up!” She shouted as she stood at the middle of the cafeteria. Everyone turned their heads and listened to her.

“There goes that again! She always wants to be the center of attraction! ” Soo Young hissed.

“I heard his long time boyfriend is going to transfer to our school…” Yoochun said. “Boyfriend?” I asked him. “I thought she only knew three words in her vocabulary…fling, flirt and …who would have thought she have a steady relationship…” I chuckled.

“Yeah…she dated almost every hot guy in school and she’s the perfect example of a boyfriend stealer!” Soo Young added. “Too bad…they all gave in to that devil fairy’s deadly trap…” Soo Young tapped her chin and rolled her eyes. “Well, except for one guy named Park Yoochun…” She continued.

“Soo Young~ah, don’t start it!” I glared at her. “I didn’t say anything…” She mouthed. “Babe, its okay…I made a mistake once but I promise that I’ll never do it again …cause I can’t afford to lose you…” Yoochun intertwined his fingers to mine. I forced a smile. How can I hurt this person who loves me like no one else has ever loved me? I can’t take his smiles away and I don’t want to be the reason for his sorrows… sadly, I have no choice but to tell him straight before he hear it from someone else.

“I know you all heard of the rumor that my boyfriend is going to stay here in our school…its TRUE!” Tiffany uttered. “Everyone, meet my one and only, KIM JAEJOONG!” As soon as Tiffany’s *boyfriend* walked inside the cafeteria, everyone stayed in silence. It was like an angel has fallen from the sky. I couldn’t see his face from where we are sitting but I think I’ve seen him somewhere. Different reactions filled the air, some were rooting for them while others were crying. “Poor guy! Maybe he doesn’t know that his girl is a player…” I sighed.

“One more thing, he is the only heir of KM Group of Companies…” Tiffany boasted off. “You can look at him but you can never touch him, cause he’s Mine!” Then she kissed him aggressively.
“I want to throw up…” Soo Young said. “Me too…” I lost my appetite when I saw her kissing him in front of everyone. That girl sure doesn’t know the meaning of *privacy*.

“GO GET A ROOM!” Soo Young blurted out. Tiffany pulled away from the kiss and gazed at our side. “Yoochun~ah!” She called as she walked closer to us with her boyfriend following her track. “OMO! T-The Bartender!” Soo Young said in shock.

“What?” I asked her. Soo Young handed me a face mask and said “Wear it! Hurry up!” She prompted. “Fake a sniff…” She whispered.

“Why?” I asked but I complied with no complaints.

“Yoochun~ah!” Tiffany greeted him slyly. Then her eyes shifted on me while I was securing my mask in place. “----------~ah, is that the new trend in school?” She laughed. As I lifted my eyes, I came face to face with the father of my baby! I couldn’t say a word nor muffled a sound. I was too spaced out. I panicked when our eyes met. That’s the face of the man who ruined my life! Why does he have to show up again?

“He is KIM JAEJOONG, my boyfrie--…” She wasn’t able to finish her words. “Excuse me…” I stood up then quickly ran away from them.

“What is wrong with her?” Tiffany asked, raising an eyebrow with her arms crossed around her chest. “S-She’s kind of sick right now…” Soo Young briefly explained.

“Did you patch things up with her?” Tiffany asked Yoochun. “Wow, you sound so concerned Tiff!” Soo Young said.

“Am I talking to you?” Tiffany asked, annoyed tone. Soo Young raised her hands mid-air. “Araso!”

Yoochun rose from his seat, “Yes Tiff…Not a person like you can separate us…” Then he stormed outside leaving Tiffany irritated.
-------------
Why does it have to be so hard on me? It was just one night! That night that I can’t even remember what happened. And now it’s all coming back! “KIM JAEJOONG” It’s funny that I only heard his name just few minutes ago. I’ve had one night stand and I’m carrying the baby of a stranger. But didn’t Tiffany say that he’s the only heir of KM Group of Companies? Then why does he have to work as a bartender on a small pub? Maybe my eyes fooled me…maybe they’re not the same person…anyhow, I should keep a safe distance from him and Tiffany.

My feet got hurt from the intense sprinting I did. I halted for awhile then filled my lungs as much air as I could. When I looked around, I caught myself standing on a grass field which was situated behind the school’s gym. Then I laid my back gently on the ground. I lifted my head up and stared at the vast blue sky. Warm air starts to slither my skin. I decided to skip the next class. Yoochun and Soo Young are probably worried on my whereabouts but I chose to stay alone even just for a brief moment. I wanted to think, breathe and take a nap…hoping that when I woke up everything will come back to its previous state.

I can’t believe there’s a baby growing inside my tummy. I’ve always dreamed of having a baby with someone I love but I didn’t expect this to happen so soon. If only Yoochun’s the father, then I wouldn’t think of anything else.

“Baby, mommy’s here…hold on, okay?” I whispered as I gently my tummy with my hand. Suddenly, I felt my eyes getting heavier…then a tear escaped, slowly streaming down my cheek. “Whatever foolishness I did, I promise I wouldn’t give you up…so stay strong for mommy…” I wiped my tears dry with the back of my hand. “Will you hate mommy, if I decided to keep you away from your father?” Then I felt my eyelids drooping and I allowed myself to fall into deep slumber.

*Jaejoong’s POV*

I hate it when all the attention is thrown at me. But I had to do what Tiffany wants just to avoid arguments. Good thing, I was able to sneak out of the cafeteria when her friends came over and had a conversation with her.

Walking around the school’s vicinity, I searched for a comfy place where I could stay. I trailed towards the gymnasium, and then I heard a familiar voice. I tiptoed to the direction where the voice was coming and saw a girl lying flat on the field. I looked around and realized that there’s no one else beside me and her. But she’s talking to someone I couldn’t see. “Will you hate mommy, if I decided to keep you away from your father?” I heard her speak. *Is that girl pregnant?* That was the first thing that crossed my mind. I wanted to turn back and leave the place cause it’s none of my business if she’s pregnant or not…but there’s something about her that makes me stay. I stood silently with a fixed stare at her sleeping figure. Then I felt my foot lifted on its own. The next thing I knew I was kneeling on the ground checking her features. *OMO! She’s the girl from the pub!*I screamed at the back of my mind.

-------Flashback-----------

I woke up from a tiresome night only to find out that the half of the bed was empty. I threw the sheets and desperately searched for her, across the room, but she was nowhere to find. It was just one night but it felt like I’ve known her for years. I went back to the bed and laid my exhausted body on the mattress then my eyes caught a pair of high heels shoe on the floor. *Wait!* “She walked out of the room barefooted?” Then I hurriedly put my clothes on and rushed outside hoping I could still see her.

“Ahjusshi, how much do I have to pay for room 301?” I asked the bearded guy at the front desk. He checked the record sheets. “Ahjusshi, make it fast…I’m on a hurry…” I prompted.

“Oh! You can go now…the bill was settled by the young lady an hour ago…” He said coolly. “Aigoo, why did you allow her to pay for the expenses?” He shook his head.

*She paid the room rent? But why?*

--------End of Flashback---------

Seeing her now makes me curve a smile. Her weird but cute facial grimace makes me giggle. I ran my index on her forehead, down to her nose and to her lips. Suddenly, I felt the urge to kiss her luscious lips just like the first time. I leaned closer and closer ‘til our faces were just inches apart.

*end of Jaejoong’s POV*

------Dreamland--------
I was walking down the aisle when a thousand fireflies swarmed and filled the room. Then I realized that I was wearing a wedding dress. My eyes couldn't see clearly but I noticed a man's figure waiting for me at the altar. I squinted my eyes to see who that man was. I let out a wide smile when I saw Yoochun wearing a white tuxedo extending his arm seems reaching for my hand. As I slowly cleared the distance between us, I felt something strange with my tummy. The more I step closer, the bigger my tummy becomes...

I was about to hold his hand when Jaejoong came in between us. “"We're going to have a baby!" He said, grinning at me. “Shall we…” He said as he took my hand and dragged me at the altar.

“ANDWE!” I struggled with all my might. “Yoochun~ah, take me away from here!” I pleaded but he ignored me. I took my hand from Jaejoong’s grip and ran to Yoochun’s side. “Oppa, I don’t want to marry him…I want no one else but you…” Tears kept on flowing.

“Go back to him…” He said coldly. “No! I’m staying with you!” I tried to embrace him but he stepped back. “I don’t want to raise a kid who isn’t mine!” He shouted angrily. “Jaejoong, take her!” Yoochun said. Jaejoong grabbed my arm tight. “LET ME GO!” I screamed.

“Oppa!” I called Yoochun who started to walk out of the church and out of my life. “Hyun-Ae~ah, if by any chance we see each other on the street…just pretend you don’t know me, and I will do the same…”

“ANDWE!! ANDWE!!! OPPA!!” My legs became limp and I stumbled on the ground as I watch him walk away. The fireflies shut their lights one by one with each step he took. Until, it was dark and I was left alone.

-------End of dream--------

“ANDWE!! ANDWE!!! OPPA!!” I mumbled. Sweat starts to run down the side of my face. I shook my head vigorously. *Wake up! ---------, it’s just a dream! Wake up!* I mentally slapped myself. Then I opened my eyes wide and startled when I saw a man’s face with his lips pouting as if he wants to kiss me. “YAHHHHHHHHH!!!!” I pushed him and sat upright then my fist landed on his Oh-So-Gorgeous face.

*end of chapter*