One or Two?

A Thousand Fireflies

“ Han Hyun-Ae, What’s taking you so long?” My best friend Soo Young asked with her fist continuously slamming the cubicle’s door.

 

She’s persistently bugging me the whole day and convincing me to have myself checked. I was sitting on the toilet seat staring at the pregnancy kit test, waiting for a result to come up.

 

I was freaking out on the inside. I’ve never been this nervous my entire life. My heart’s racing while I try to catch my breath.

 

It felt like the whole world comes to a full stop. I closed my eyes and wished that everything is just a bad dream and soon I’ll wake up from it…when I slowly lifted my eyelids, reality setback that everything that’s happening now is real.

 

One line means “I’m safe” and two lines means “I’m dead”. Few seconds after, one red color band appeared. I sighed deeply in relief. I squeezed the kit onto my hand, twist the door knob with my free hand and saw the impatient Soo Young glaring at me.

 

“What?” I asked her, smiling.

 

“What do you mean what?” She scowled. I can see worries on her eyes. “I’ve been waiting here like ages!” She complained.

 

I grabbed her hand and said “Let’s go!”

 

“Where?” She asked, trying to take her hand off my grip. I held her hand tighter which pushes her to her boiling point.

 

“Back to class…we don’t want to stay late in detention, right?”  I replied as I moved closer to the main door. I swiveled around and asked her, “Aren’t you coming?”

“WAIT! ONE or TWO?” She probed with her arms crossed around her chest.

 

“ONE!” I exclaimed happily. She exhaled a deep sigh as she heard me speak the word she wants to hear. Then she pulled me to a hug, “I’m glad you’re safe…” She whispered softly. Soo Young break away and cupped my face. “Just don’t do IT again, alright?” I nodded. “It was just a mistake…”

 

“Can I see the kit?” Curiosity flushed across her face.

 

I chuckled. “Why are you so interested? This isn’t the first time you’ve seen a pregnancy kit, right?” I cracked a joke. “Besides its gross…it has my pee on it…”

 

She hit my arm enough to make me winced in pain. “OUCH!” I groaned. “I just want to see it!” She insisted. “Just want to make sure that you didn’t have a blurred vision when you looked at it…” She laughed.

 

“Fine…” I took the kit from my pocket and handed it to her.

 

“OH MY GOD!” Her smile gradually disappeared as she stared blankly at the thing on her hand.

 

“Enough of the prank, Soo Young…we’ll be late for the next class…” She ignored me.

 

“Soo Young, LET’S GO!” I prompted but she remained static.

 

“Are you sure this is the same kit you used?” Her voice cracked.

 

“YES!” I answered with a slight tone of annoyance.

 

“Hyun-Ae, it’s TWO lines!” She said nervously.

 

“What are you talking about? This isn’t funny!” She took my hand and placed the kit on it. “You could have seen it wrongly…” She said.

 

My knees trembled as I took a quick glance on it. Tears start to build up. “This can’t be happening!” I screamed then threw the kit harshly on the floor. I was in a massive shock and in denial. “NO! NO! This isn’t true…” I shook my head vigorously as I paced back and forth. Then I felt my legs became limp and I stumbled helplessly on the ground. I buried my face onto my palms and cried the hardest I could.

 

Soo Young knelt in front of me and gave me a warm comforting hug. She took me in her arms and shared my sorrow. “How am I supposed to tell Yoochun about this?” I uttered in between sobs.

 

She my back gently giving me assurance that she wouldn’t leave me alone. “He’ll recognize the baby cause he loves you so much…”

 

“But what if he doesn’t?” I asked still sobbing.

 

“Then you must be brave enough to face the consequences of what you did…” She retorted as she wiped my tears dry.

 

“I can’t stand a day without him…he’s my life….I don’t want to lose him because of this baby on my tummy!” I slapped my tummy once but Soo Young grabbed my wrist and prevented me to do another stupid thing.

 

“You can’t correct a mistake with another mistake!”  She hit my cheek with her free hand. I couldn’t feel the physical pain cause it hurts even more on the inside. It slowly tears my heart into pieces.

 

“What should I do?” I asked as I held my head hang low while tears streaming incessantly down my reddened cheeks. “I’m only sixteen and I’m pregnant! And the worst of all, Yoochun is not the father of my baby…”

 

“What?” Soo Young jumped a step back in shock.