[PR] → azure_bliss

Alisa's Malay Fanfic Review Portfolio
 
 
Author: azure_bliss
Review for characterization, use of theme/prompt, the , comparison to Malay writing
 
 
Characterization
I have nothing to penalize in this section; you’ve definitely defined each character very well. Both lead characters had their own strong points and weaknesses, which made them relate-able and realistic. None of their character traits were cringe-worthy too, nor were they conflicting against each other. And the amazing thing is? Neither lead characters overshadowed nor overpowered another. Even though the fic was majorly told through Jungkook’s point of view, Jangmi’s role and presence was still kept consistent and strong throughout the fic, which, I must applaud you for that.
 
One significant showcase of this defined characterization was when Jangmi was admitted to the hospital due to the false alarms. The readers could feel the tension within Jungkook when he firmly voiced out his choice on Jangmi over the baby (seeing how the pregnancy had caused difficulties to the love of his life, he had decided that he didn’t want the baby), while Jangmi’s motherly side instinctively came out, defending Jaehyun from Jungkook’s blames and speculations.
 
As for the supporting characters, I must say Taehyung entertained me the most. With his child-like character and rash attitude throughout the whole fic, he had never failed to amuse me.
 
 
Use of prompts/theme (which is “healing”)
You nailed this. Excellent. I can never say anything less. It was kept consistent throughout the fic: in the first chapter, there was a scene Jangmi tended to Jungkook when he injured himself after that soccer friendly match, in the second chapter, it was definitely emphasized, what’s with Jangmi’s loss of her parents, her trying to gather herself but not without Jungkook by her side, and do not even mention the of this chapter: where this young couple had to go through their first major conflict. This theme was carved out in a few paragraphs too; the following is the one that I spotted.
 
They both realised that things were not going to be the same after this. They both knew that their relationship had taken a step further from what both had expected. They also knew healing would be hard but crucial. Things did not look good at the moment, even healing looked far-fetched.
 
“Everything is going to be fine, I promise you.”
 
But they would heal, because they had each other.
 
It was even amplified in the last chapter, where the whole chapter led to how Jangmi fell into the deep slumber. The theme was focused on how Jungkook was going to live without Jangmi by his side, which he had deemed impossible. While the doctors had given up on the very slim chance of Jangmi’s survival, that they had decided to remove the life support from her, Jungkook certainly felt otherwise. He was sure that the love of his life would make it through. When Jangmi seemingly played out the role of a ‘healer’ in that dream-like scene, we can see how Jungkook was about to go insane when Jangmi tried to console him that he would pull it through without her by his side.
 
 
The /ending
I believe the started at the dream-like scene. The dream-slash-is-this-even-real scene. At this point, you managed to put readers—or me, at least—in confusion. I felt like I was really in Jungkook’s shoes right there and then, feeling dumbfounded but at the same acting very careful as to not chase Jangmi’s figure away. Undeniably, this specific scene is the crucial part of the chapter (or even the whole fic). Having full of emotions, it was stretched out nicely—not too draggy nor was it abruptly short.
 
The fic ended with a turn of events, where Jangmi woke up from the deep slumber, betraying the ‘slim chance of survival’ that was declared by the doctors. It was as if she was fulfilling the promise that she had made the night before. I believe readers had released a sigh of relief at this point (or rejoiced even), as this had meant a halt on Jungkook’s miserable days for not having Jangmi by his side.
 
 
Comparison to Malay writing
I am not sure if you feel inferior of your Malay writing, but having read (and reviewed) your Malay fic before, I do not find any inferiority in any of your fics if I were to make comparisons between the two. Both fics (“Baby Don’t Cry” and “Reminiscing Rose”) have the same theme—sad and angsty-like, which I must say, is your strongest point. Your writing style best suits these types of genre. Needless to say, none of your fic surpasses another. Both are equally astonishing and excellent in their own way.
 
 
 
Reviewer’s notes/Reader’s comments:
If there was a section that I wanted to add on in this review, it is the “writing style”. Your writing style was one to be admired for; I found no run-on sentences, the intended feelings for each part of the fic were perfectly molded into words and sentences, it was descriptive and definitely had full of emotions. Needless to say, it had a soul in it. Really. It suits this type of genre the best. I felt like the fic had brought my soul to somewhere else, to the world where Jungkook and Jangmi lived in. Thanks to your writing style, you managed to put me in the dilemma every time they had arguments with each other (first was when they lost their first child, the second one was before Jangmi giving birth to Jaehyun). Taking their first argument as an example, I was really torn on whose side should I take, because both of them had valid reasons for blaming themselves.
 
I must say that I love the use of jumping-back-and-forth-from-past-to-present concept that you used in this fic. And that tiny consistency that you made on every '1st September'? Oh yes, that is my killer. Thank you for killing me from the inside, for using my most favorite concept. (And the scene where Jungkook and Jangmi had their first intimate moments, I must thank you for making them past the legal age at this point ^,^")
 
If other users happen to ask me on where they should find an angsty fic, I would definitely recommend Reminiscing Rose (Y). Countless thumbs-up for this fic, and I really hope you won’t stop writing! Wishing you the best of luck for your future writing endeavours.
 
Last but not least, well, apparently it’s my first PR in English, so thank you so much for requesting and giving me the chance to read your story! I’m so sorry that it took so long orz, again, thank you so much for your patience. Hope the wait was worth it and the review is still relevant to you :)
 
 
Alisa/LavenderAlisa19
12th December 2015, 01:00