How Could I…

Something More

Jinyoung:

I woke up and it’s already afternoon…I slept late last night, chatting with Jinwoon hyung. I got ready and as I was about to step out my mom called me.

            “Jinyoung honey, could you drop these cupcakes here? My friends’ daughter getting married…” my mom handed me a huge neatly wrapped box.

            “But omma…I’m already late…”Mark hyung’s game starting at 2 and it’s already 12.45pm. It’s gonna take me around an hour to get to Jamsil and I wanted to be there when the whistle blows.

            “Please help me honey…I couldn’t disappoint my friend…she’s counting on this…please…” she pleaded. Now, how can I say no to that…

            “Fine…”

            “Thank you honey…” she ruffled my hair.                       

I got off the taxi in front of a huge building in Mokdong.

            “This must be the wedding hall…” I went to the lobby and saw the sign for the wedding reception. I made my way and safely delivered the cupcakes to the happy family.

I looked at the time and I’m already 15 minutes late.

*!* I rushed out and ran towards the nearby bus station. I saw a grandma wanted to cross the road but no one helping her out. My good Samaritan instinct kicked in I just had to help her.

            “Halmoni…” I said standing next to her. “Can I help you?”

            “Sure…thank you…you’re such a darling…”

We crossed the road with my hands securely holding her fragile arms. Her smiles made me think of my own grandma back in Mokpo…maybe I just give her a call later today.

            “Aigoo…that is so nice of you…” she patted my .

            “Anieyo halmoni…be careful now…”

I said and waved. I was about to crossed back the road when suddenly a bike came out of nowhere and the next thing I know, everything went pitch black.

Jinwoon just arrived at the wedding hall when he saw a crowd gathered at the side of the road. He went closer to check it out and when he did, horror hit him. Jinyoung was sprawled on the pavement being treated by the paramedics.

            “Oh my god…Jinyoung ah!” he crouched down.

            “Excuse me sir…do you know this young man?” the paramedics asked.

            “Yes…he’s my close dongsaengs…what happened here?”

            “Minor accident…this gentleman over here…” he pointed towards a guy shaking talking to a police officer. “He accidentally hit this young man…could you come to the hospital with us?”

            “Yeah sure…”

 

Mark:

The game ended with us winning by 2 points when JB scored when the buzzer went off. I looked over at the bleachers and there was still no sign of Jinyoung anywhere. Looks like he ditched me for that hyung I guess.

            “Hit the showers guys! The bus leaving in half an hour!” Coach Jiseok yelled.

            “Let’s go dude…you can mourn in the shower later…” JB put his arm around my shoulder.

            “Shut up!” I nudged him. I was kinda mad and disappointed that Jinyoung missed my first game. He was supposed to be here and cheered for me.

I got ready and already on a bus when a text came saying that I have a voice mail. I pushed the button and it was from Jinyoung.

*Hyung, it’s me…I’m running late a little…but I’ll be there during the second half…see ya! Hyung fighting!* he said.

I decided to call Jinyoung. I called his number and after a while the call connected.

            “Yaa! Where have you been? You’re supposed to be at my game! Did you forget?” I said without pausing.

            “Um…hello…” it was not Jinyoung’s voice.

            “Is this Park Jinyoung’s phone?” I asked.

            “Yea…um…Jinyoung is in the hospital right now…minor accident…Mark, it’s me…Jinwoon hyung…we met last night…”

Accident? Jinyoung?

I rushed out from the bus and almost knocked down JB who was getting on it.

            “Yaa! Where are you going?” he asked.

            “Emergency! Tell coach I’m going back on my own…”

            “You know he won’t allow that!”

            “Jinyoung is in the hospital…accident…I need to see him…” I said and rushed towards the nearest subway station.

!5 minutes later I arrived at the hospital and saw Jinwoon hyung pacing back and forth in front of the emergency room.

            “How is he?” I asked.

            “Still in there but I hope nothing serious though…lucky I was there…I thought it was someone else but when I get there, it was Jinyoung lying on the road.” He said.

            “So he wasn’t with you?”

            “No…I wanted to ask him to hangout but he said that he has a game that he can’t miss…seems like his life depended on it…”

So he wasn’t going to ditch me and go out with this hyung…man I feel guilty!

The doctor came out.

            “Are the relative of this patient Park Jinyoung?”

            “No…but we’re close…his mom is on her way here…is he okay doc?” Jinwoon hyung asked.

            “It’s just minor concussion…fortunately there’s no broken bone…just a few bruises and scrapes…other than that he will be just fine…” the doctor smiled. “You can visit him when we move him to the normal ward room…”

I felt relieved.

 

Jinyoung:

I woke up and seeing white. Am I dead?

            “Hey there…” it was Mark hyung’s voice.

            “Hyung…” I looked around. “Where am I?”

            “Hospital…don’t you remember what happened to you?”

            “Well…” I tried to move a little but my leg felt so sore.

            “Don’t move…” he said and pushed the button to make my bed reclined.

            “Um…I was helping this grandma crossing the road and then a bike came out of nowhere…and then it went black…”

            “You got hit…Jinwoon hyung was there and then they brought you here…”

            “What are you doing here? You have a game don’t you? Oh my god…the game…” I just missed Mark hyung’s first game. Damn it!

            “The game is long over…around 6 hours ago…”

            “Did we win?”

            “Yup! JB scored the final basket right when the whistle off…”

            “Good…I’m so sorry…” I said looking at him.

            “It’s okay…I’m the one who should be sorry…I thought you ditched me to hang out with Jinwoon hyung…”

            “I wouldn’t want to miss your game for anything…I’ve made a promise and I intend to keep no matter what…”

            “I know babe…I know…”

 

Mark:

            “I know babe…I know…” ! I just said the B word…I just hope he didn’t hear it. I was so worried if anything bad happened to him. I could barely sit the whole time I was in the subway. I keep imagining the worst could happen to him.

Then…

            “Good you’re awake…I began to think that painkiller was too strong on you…”

Jinyoung’s mom walked in with Jinwoon hyung right on her heels.

            “Omma…”

            “Aigoo…I told you to watch your way before crossing the road for ages and yet you’re here…” he said knuckling Jinyoung’s head.

            “Omma! I’m a patient here!” he pouted.

            “Like I care…you’re still my son…you’re lucky it’s not that serious…” she looked at me. “Mark, you can go home now…your parents must be worried about you…”

            “But omma…I want to stay here…” I wanted to be next to Jinyoung.

            “It’s okay…I’ll take over…you can come tomorrow…and don’t try to rebel your mom’s words…” she winked.

            “Come, I’ll drive you home…” Jinwoon hyung said.

To say the drive home was awkward definitely an understatement. The silence was killing me.

            “You liked him don’t you?’ Jinwoon hyung finally said.

            “Huh?” I looked at him.

            “Jinyoung…you liked him don’t you? And I don’t mean friends type of like…”

I just nodded…there’s no point hiding it now.

            “I was right…I saw the look you were giving me the other night…when I hugged Jinyoung and kissed him…don’t worry, Jinyoung was just like a brother to me…”

I looked at Jinwoon hyung and he just smiled.

That night…

I lay in my bed thinking about what happened today. Jinyoung got hurt and I feel like my heart stopped beating for a while. It got me thinking though…what would happen if I’m not able to say how I really feel about him…I love Jinyoung and I think he did to…should I make the first move?