Acceptance

Comfort Guardian

Suho forgot that Kai having a solo meant his parents would also be there. Luhan smiled and waved at him from across the auditorium. He nodded and gave a smile, but his face fell at the sight of his parents. They just looked at him. Suho took a seat by himself and watched the show. When Kai came on for his solo, he clapped for him and watched with pride and happiness. His little brother was very talented and passionate. It awed him. He clapped once he was finished, even standing up. Kai smiled at him from the stage. After a while, Kyungsoo came on stage. He waved at Suho a bit and smiled to Luhan before he began to sing. Suho was always calmed by Kyungsoo’s voice. He thought he could sing better than half the singers he heard on the radio. After he was finished, he stood up and clapped for his husband. Kyungsoo took a bow before rushing off stage.

After the show, Suho found Kai in the crowd. He congratulated him and smiled. His parents came up then.

“Suho…”

“Hello,” he greeted them formally and even bowed. It was awkward.

“How have you been?” his mother asked.

“I’ve been…” Kyungsoo was nearby, looking nervous. He encouraged him to come over. He approached cautiously before standing beside him. Suho wrapped his arm around him gently. “We’ve been good.”

Kyungsoo gave a slight bow and kept his eyes pointed toward the floor. He leaned into Suho and dug his fingers into his pant leg. Everyone was quiet as it grew awkward. Suho sighed some.

“It was good seeing you. We’re going to get going.”

“Suho.”

The elder stopped and looked at them.

“We’d like to have you for dinner some time this week. Both of you.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened and he looked directly at them. Suho was a little surprised himself. He then nodded. “That sounds fun.”

They left after a bow and headed home.

-------------x------------

Suho held Kyungsoo’s hand tight as they stood in front of the door. He felt weird going into his old home after so long. It was odd to have to wait for the door to be opened for him instead of going inside. Luhan let them in and they greeted the Kims as they sat down at the table.

“How is your job going?” his father asked.

“Good. I just got promoted. There was an opening in a higher position and they said I deserved it.”

“That’s very impressive, Suho. How long have you been working there?”

“About two months.”

“That’s even more impressive.”

“What do you do, Kyungsoo?” his mother asked.

Kyungsoo looked like a deer caught in the headlights at being asked something. He gulped and then responded. “I work at a convenience school near my college and I work there when I don’t have class…”

“You and Kai go to the same college?”

“Yes. I’m focusing on vocals.”

“What are you intending to do with that?”

“I…umm…I was thinking of becoming a music teacher.” Kyungsoo felt like he was getting the third degree. He lowered his head some and took a deep breath.

Suho’s hand slid onto his leg and took his into his own. His thumb lightly the top to comfort him. He calmed some.

“A music teacher...I suppose that would be a good use of the degree. At least you have an idea of what to do. Kai has no idea what to do with a dance degree,” his mother laughed.

Kyungsoo was surprised she hadn’t made some sort of snide comment toward him. Kai pouted and Luhan couldn’t help laughing.

The rest of dinner went smoothly and they managed to have a civil dinner conversation. They were all able to laugh about the same things. Kyungsoo found himself having a good time. Luhan brought out dessert for them after a while.

“I suppose having two boys for daughter-in-laws isn’t horrible,” Mrs. Kim said.

The four young men paused and looked toward her.

“E-excuse me?” Kyungsoo managed out.

“I said you’re not so bad. I don’t really have a problem with you. You seem to be a good fit for Suho.”

“We’ll accept your marriage,” Mr. Kim said.

Suho blinked. “You mean that?”

“Yes. We’ve agreed that this marriage is alright. You appear happy and seem well fit for one another. You are a good businessman who doesn’t need a marriage to build connections. We made a mistake. So, we will accept Kyungsoo into our family. If he wants to forgive us.”

Kyungsoo felt himself crying. He just nodded wordlessly. Suho hung his head.

“I can’t believe this. I feel so lucky…”

“Welcome to our family, Kyungsoo,” Mrs. Kim smiled.

“Thank you,” he cried.