Responsibilities

Comfort Guardian

Kyungsoo quickly grew accustomed to sleeping with Suho and waking up with Suho. They would wake each other up with sweet kisses and the morning would be filled with sweet words and lingering touches. Kyungsoo felt extremely blessed to have Suho with him every morning. The elder would always give him a kiss before he would leave for school and he would wish him good luck on finding a job.

He didn’t intend on running into Luhan but he did. The other gave him a faint smile and a small wave.

“Luhan! How have you been?”

The other attempted a smile but he looked miserable. He mulled over what to say before he finally sighed. “I haven’t been good.”

The younger’s mood dropped then. “O-oh…what happened?”

“Kai and I haven’t spoken to one another in three weeks.”

“T-three weeks?!”

He nodded. “I moved back into my room on the other side of the house…I’m thinking of going back to China. I just dropped out of all my classes…”

“You what?! No!”

Luhan just sighed and lowered his head. “Not everyone can live a fairytale. Kai and I weren’t meant to be.”

“Don’t say that. You guys make each other happy. I thought you’d be together forever. I wanted you both to be happy. You’re my best friends.”

“Yeah, well…it doesn’t always work out. I’ll go back to China and just be Kai’s wife in title. I’m really sorry that you have to see us break apart. I hope you and Suho will be happy.”

“Luhan…”

The Chinese boy walked off, looking thin and forlorn. Kyungsoo wanted to cry as he saw him walk away. He frowned and couldn’t enjoy the day as much after that point. On his way home, he sent Kai a text begging him to make up with Luhan. He got no response. He arrived home to a frustrated Suho, who had had no luck at finding a job.

“Bad day?”

“Everyone telling me I’m overqualified. I don’t know what to do. I agree to take a pay cut or fewer hours, but nothing…”

“I see…” he said quietly as he sat down at his desk.

Suho came up behind him and placed his arms around his shoulders. “What’s wrong, jagiya? You look upset.”

“I ran into Luhan today.”

“Luhan, huh? How is he?”

“Terrible. He said he and Kai haven’t talked in three weeks and he’s thinking of going back to China.”

The elder’s eyes widened. He didn’t say anything but gulped.

“They’re fighting because Luhan knew about us and didn’t tell Kai and it’s not fair! I feel like everything is my fault. My two best friends are breaking up because I decided to be happy,” he cried.

The elder hugged him tight. “Don’t worry, Kyungsoo. Kai will come to his senses.”

“I’m really worried…”

Suho comforted him and they had a quiet evening. Kyungsoo lulled to sleep against the elder’s chest later that night, cuddled up to him. The brunet ran his fingers through his hair gently for a while, watching the young man sleep beside him. He then reached over him and picked up his cell phone from the bedside table. He dialed his brother’s number and waited for the line to connect.

“What do you want, hyung?” the other answered almost immediately.

“Why are you treating Luhan badly?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Kyungsoo said Luhan is unhappy.”

“I wouldn’t know. I haven’t talked to him since you were last here.”

“That’s exactly what I mean, Kai. You can’t treat your wife like that. You’re making him miserable.”

“What would you know hyung? I don’t have to listen to you. You’re a liar anyways.”

Suho growled a little. “Kai, god dammit, I can’t tell you everything. We can’t be best buddies and share every little thing with one another. I can’t believe you are taking this so personally. What was I supposed to say? ‘I’m in love with your best friend, give me your blessing’? Yeah, right.”

“You knew that Kyungsoo was my best friend! You knew that I would take it personally! You knew how I felt about being betrayed!” Kai yelled.

“Well, you can’t always have your way, Kai! I did everything in my power to give you everything you wanted when you were growing up and I regret it now. You think you can have everyone live the way you want. It’s not going to happen. I thought you would be happy for us. Your older brother and your best friend. You know we’re both good people. You wouldn’t have to worry about who we’re with.” He sighed deeply. “I didn’t call to yell at you but damn it…”

Kai was silent for a little while. “Why Kyungsoo?” he finally asked.

“Why not, Kyungsoo? Because I love him. He’s perfect. We get along and make each other happy. I want to wake up beside him every morning and give him kisses. I want to tell him about my day and shower him with gifts. I love the little way he shows he’s happy or nervous. We can depend on each other.”

“Okay, okay. I get it,” Kai cut in. “I guess I shouldn’t be so upset…you really do sound happy.”

“And you shouldn’t be so upset with Luhan. I know you love him. You have to show him that. Kyungsoo said he’s thinking of going back to China. He’s already resigning himself to being alone. Why would you do that to him?”

“Going back to China?!” the younger cried.

“That’s what he told Kyungsoo. He dropped out of his classes today. You need to go apologize right now and make it better.”

He could hear Kai shuffling on the other end. “I’m sorry I’m stupid, hyung. I still act like a kid. I appreciate everything you’ve done for me. So…sorry I’m such an .”

Suho laughed. “It’s fine, Kai. You’re only eighteen. You have a while to grow up. Just make sure to be a good husband.”

“Yeah…Thanks, hyung.” Kai stopped a moment. “Did dad cut you off?”

“Yeah.”

“Are you okay? Where are you staying?”

“I’m fine. I’m living with Kyungsoo and his parents. I’m in the market for a new job. Don’t worry about me.”

“Okay…I miss you, hyung.”

“I miss you too, kiddo. Go check on Luhan now. If you need anything, give me a call.”

“Likewise. Good night, hyung.”

“Good night, Kai.”

The line went dead and Suho smiled some. He placed his phone on the bedside table and then lay down beside Kyungsoo, putting an arm around him and closing his eyes.


Final update for this week :) A little melodramatic but a little cute as well. Happy Easter to those who celebrate it or just happy Sunday to those who don't!

I finally finished writing this story so all that's left is to post it up. We're sort of near the end. There should probably be four more chapters. The next one is a looooooong one! I hope everyone will enjoy it until we reach the finale!

See you all in a week~