chapter 009

Baby Steps

Baby Steps - Chapter  Nine

I stood by the door and watched as Camellia admired her father's features. It was heart warming to watch and it made me quite happy. It was time for Camellia to wake up anyway, I was surprised to see how this girl was so on top of things when it comes to timing. 

I closed the door silently, Kris must've been exhausted. I wonder if he's ever napped with Camellia before.

 

I turned around to see Sehun running through the halls with a stack of papers. He an so fast I felt a breeze, my hair flew as I watched him run by. Sehun came running back. "Hi beautiful!" 

I'm not going to lie, but honestly I feel like Sehun could make me blush so easily...not that I mind. 

I smiled. "Hey."

"I'm finishing all my work today so we can spend the day together." He paused. "B-Because the other day our date got ruined so..." Sehun stammered. "I had to leave and I felt bad-"

I put a finger on his lips. "Okay." 

"Really?" His eyes lit up. 

I nodded. "Really."

"What do you want to do?"

"Anything, I want to watch movies. Have a movie marathon, I just wanna relax all day and maybe even fall asleep in your arms afterwards."

Sehun flushed pink. 

"Can we do that?" I asked.

He stared at me for a few seconds, the rosy color never left his cheeks. Sehun nodded before smiling cheekily. "Of course we can." 

He leaned over and kissed me on the cheek before running off. 

 

I chuckled and shook my head before going to my room. I'll admit it, I've had my eyes on Sehun since day one. Maybe it was his platinum blonde hair or his eye smile that caught me on the first day. 

He noticed me too; don't think I forgot about the time he recruited me to Kris. He noticed all the features about me and pin pointed everything he liked about me in the application form. Sehun noticed me. 

 

I sat down and fumbled with my phone. I needed to talk to someone about it, preferable someone that was outside of this mansion. God knows how fast rumors spread around here, the boys probably can't keep a secret, especially Chanyeol who had a short attention span when it came to this. 

I scrolled through my contacts and scrolled right past my brother. There was no way Kai would let me crush on Sehun, he'd kill me. He's already going crazy over how I live in a house full of guys, there's no way in hell he'd stay calm if I mentioned Sehun.

I scrolled past my mother, she wants me to end up with Kris...Erh, how about no? God, why do mothers want their daughter to marry someone rich? Money can't buy everything. 

I scrolled through all my friends and sighed, who would I talk to? 

 

Joseph Thao. 

Who else? 

 

I rung my best friend up and waited for him to answer. 

"Joe, I like him." I splat out once he answered. I didn't even give him a chance to say hello.

"WHO? WHO? KRIS? ARE YOU FINALLY GOING TO ADMIT THIS? OH MY GOSH- GOD BLESS YOUR SOUL. IT'S ABOUT TIME, DID YOU SEE ALL THOSE PICTURES OF YOU AND HIM? AGH. SO CUTE." He screamed.

I wrinkled my nose. "Huh?"

"The hell do you mean 'huh'? You called me to tell me you were crushing on Kris right? I've been waiting all week."

I shook my head. "Joe...no...I like someone else." 

"Claire..."

"I like Sehun." 

"Which one is that?" 

"Platinum blonde hair? Broad shoulders? Tall? ...Cute?" 

Joe scoffed. "That sounds just like Kris you know..." I could hear the sound of his keyboard. He must've been looking Sehun up. 

"Well, I like Sehun." 

"How come you never texted me about this?" He whined. "Thought you loved me." Joe pretended to sound hurt. 

I rolled my eyes. "Because I wasn't sure." 

"Okay, so how are you so sure you like him now?"

"Well because...Sehun makes me happy all the time. He really knows how to make a girl blush and when we go out together, even if it's just for bubble tea...I feel like the happiest chick in the world. Sometimes, I would sit with him as he went through the lists of model applications and he would always ask me why I didn't model. He's so funny and...Sometimes, I wonder what it's like to be in his arms ya know? I wonder what it's like to have his lips on mine. I honestly thought he had a girlfriend when I first met him, but as we started talking, I learned that he didn't. I've never met someone as dorky and as adorable as Sehun. He's just....so...cute." 

"Okay so, he's good with words. So  what? You don't know about his personality, he could be the biggest jerk ever."

I scowled although he couldn't see it. 

"Don't scowl at me."

I sunk into my seat. "Fine, but...why are you so negative about Sehun? You've always been so supportive about my past crushes." I mumbled. It was true, Joe was my rock back in high school and middle school. Every time an exchange student came in, I'd gush over him. He did  nothing but listen to me and tell me to approach them. 

"I'm not being negative, it's just that...Why Sehun? Why not Kris?"

I scratched my head. "Why are you bringing Kris into this?"

"Think about it, don't you think the reason why he hired a female was because he needed someone to fall in love with? Besides the fact that Camellia needs a motherly figure, don't you think Kris needs someone to love? Someone who would help him move on from the past? Kris could be in love with you for all you know, and you're just gonna break his heart by being with Sehun?"

"Why should I care about what Kris feels?" I cringed, I sounded quite harsh just now.

"You should because you accepted this job, you should've seen it coming. You're taking care of his daughter, you're being the mother Camellia needs...the wife Kris has always wanted." Joe said. "I know you don't think too deep into stuff like this but seriously, what if Kris hired you because he needed someone to be his rock? Out of all the girls he interviewed, he hired you without thinking about it." 

"But that's because he didn't even see me. I was his last choice." I said.

"I call bull, he totally saw you, that's why he hired you." He sighed. "You may think you like Sehun, and maybe he's just a sweet talker or maybe you genuinely like him. Just, what about Kris? I'm concerned about him. It's hard to move on from the past, he lost his girlfriend...and she was the only girl who's ever supported him...the only girl he's ever loved and she'll never be back. Just let that sink in..." 

"Joe...I don't think I'll ever see Kris that way...I want to be with Sehun."

 

"You never know how much someone means to you until you almost lose them. Remember that."