chapter 015

Baby Steps

Baby Steps - Chapter  Fifteen

“Jang Hye Sung?” I nervously knocked on the door. I had gone home the day after my encounter with Kris’s demon CEO. I found the papers and forged a signature hoping Kris wouldn’t mind. But who cares now? His health and wellness is the most important.

I opened the door and peeked in. “Jang Hye Sung?”

Lawyer Jang looked up. “And you are?”

“Erh, about Kris Wu’s case…”

“Oh did he accept me as his public defender?”

I sat down. “Y-Yeah he did.”

“I heard he is in a coma. How’d he agree?”

“They took him off the life support a few days ago and now they’re just letting him rest. Heart surgery is being held off until we know that he needs it. I’m his…” I took a deep breath. “Girlfriend and I found these papers the other day. So this was what he was talking about…” I loved being a natural liar.

She nodded. “So, anything else I can help you with?”

“Actually, yeah. Would it help if you had a witness?”

“Witness? What for?”

“Don’t  you need proof that he’s being mistreated by his company?”

She opened the file. “I actually didn’t go through the case yet, give me a sec…” Lawyer Jang looked up. “I didn’t know Mr. Wu had a girlfriend.”

I flushed pink. “Erm...I…We thought it would be best to keep it a secret.”

She nodded. “That’s true; they say relationships that are kept a secret last longer.” Lawyer Jang said as she scanned the case. “We can try to argue that his basic human and civil rights were taken away from him…But I heard the man we are fighting with has lots of money. What can’t money do?”

“That’s when I come in…” I fumbled with my phone as I took it out. “The other day…I was actually calling my older brother when he came in…I have the whole conversation recorded.” I said as I played the audio.

Lawyer Jang smiled. “This might be the first case I win, they never take a public defender’s side but this time…there’s hope.”

I nodded. “I hope we win this.”

Lawyer Jang highlighted the strongest points of our evidence and downloaded the audio from my phone onto a flash drive. “If anything, does anyone else live with you guys who may have seen Kris deteriorate in the last few months?”

“I think we’ll have enough witnesses, his…employees, ah, no, friends live with him so…They work with him too so I think they’d have more evidence as me.”

Lawyer Jang put her hands together. “I’m limited to three witnesses, pick your choice. I need you to be one of them too…I heard you’ve never lost an argument in your life? Honey it’s time to test that.” She grinned as she held my phone up.

“When’s the first hearing?”

“In two weeks…Get ready, and pick the two other witnesses. Meet up with me again a week from now with them so we can map this whole thing out. Also, make sure Kris doesn’t do any work from now. If we receive any angry phone calls from his CEO, record it. Okay?”

 

I walked out of her office with a grin on my face. I looked down at my phone. “Don’t go home, I brought Camellia to the hospital with me and the others are out running errands for Kris. Hurry! Visiting hours are going to end in a few.

I chuckled at Sehun’s text and made a turn as I walked down the street.

 

 

I walked through the halls of the hospital and froze when I heard a familiar giggle.

“Daddy do it again!”
“Okay Camellia.”

 

Kris? Was that Kris? Why was his voice so raspy?

 

I looked up and saw him down the hall. He held Camellia’s hand on one side and an IV stand on the other. Kris woke up.

“Kris?”

He looked up. “Hm?”

 

I ran.

I’m not even kidding.

I friggin’ ran.

Kill me.

He probably knows that I like him.

CRAAAP.

 

I ran right into his arms. “Oh my gosh Kris. Oh my Gosh.”

He slipped his arms around my waist as  I ran my fingers through his dark hair. I brushed it out of his face to see his tried eyes. “Oh gosh it really is you…”

Sehun walked down the hall and picked up Camellia. “I-I’ll leave you guys alone.” He mumbled. “Let’s go outside.”

“Okay Sehunnie!”

 

“Kris oh my gosh.”

He pulled away and touched my cheek. “You okay? Why are you crying?”

“Are you okay?” I asked as I fixed his dark hair. His bangs fell out of place, it was adorable.

Kris nodded. “Y-Yeah, I have a meeting tomorr-“

“No.”

“Claire?”

“You’re not going anywhere.”

He stared at me with his soft but intimidating eyes.

“I signed your lawsuit for you…and I’m going to the hearing in two weeks.”

Kris’s mouth dropped. “Bu-“

“And I’m going to win this for you. I’m not letting anyone treat you like that.” I said sternly.

He hugged me and smiled. “T-Thank you.”

I pulled away and wiped my eyes. “And why didn’t you tell us anything?”

“Why didn’t you notice?”

I stood there speechless. Why didn’t I notice?

Kris chuckled and pushed a piece of hair behind my ears. “I’m kidding.” Then his eyes brightened up. “Did something happen with my boss? I heard you call yourself my girlfriend.” He grinned cheekily.

I turned around with my face all red. “Oh my fu- You heard that?”

“Didn’t you know? People in a comatose state can still hear.” Kris took a step forward and pressed his chest against my back. “Hey…do you like me?”

 

I stood there stiffly.

Crap.

Crap.

Crap.

Crap.

Crap.

THE HELL DO I DO?

 

“So um anyway, are you okay?” I turned around just to be face to face with Kris. His face was centimeters away. I was about to die.

 

THESE BUTTERFLIES IN MY STOMACH WON’T STAY STILL.

 

KRIS KISSED ME.

HE ING KISSED ME.

I…

WHAT.

WHAT DO I EVEN…

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?

HE GAVE ME A PECK BEFORE DOING THAT THING HE DOES WITH HIS LIPS. WHAT’S THAT CALLED? OH A MISCHEVIOUS SMILE OH GOD IM ABOUT TO DIE.

 

My eyes widened.

He grinned and turned around. “Hey, you gotta walk me back to my room. What if I slip fall and die? Man you gotta aid the sick.” Kris turned around. “Claire?”

I stood there with my hands on my mouth.

“Oh Jesus if you’re gonna be like that what’s gonna happen when we actually do kiss?”

I gawked and took a few steps back with my hands up. “Oh no…no no no…Kris no…I’m not ready-“

He walked towards me and grabbed my jaw. AND THERE HE GOES AGAIN.

OVARIES.

EXPLODED.

GONE.

I CAN’T HAVE KIDS NOW.

GREAT.

I PROBABLY WON’T EVEN BE ABLE TO FUNCTION AT THE HEARING IN TWO WEEKS.

 

Kris kissed me before pulling away. He whispered “Let’s make a bet.”

“A wha?”

“A bet. If you win the case…You automatically become my girlfriend.”

“And if I don’t?”

Kris laughed. “There’s no other choice, because I know you’re going to win.”

I raised an eyebrow.

“You gotta win…okay?”

“Okay.”