chapter 014

Baby Steps

Baby Steps - Chapter  Fourteen

Camellia never stopped crying when she sat next to Kris. She crawled onto the bed with him and patted his chest a few times. “Daddy? Daddy? No…No…”

I frowned; I wondered how bad I looked with my makeup everywhere. I couldn’t stop crying.

I looked up when someone opened the door. “Hey, we’re going to go home first. The mansion is left unattended and…Luhan has some work to finish up. Truthfully, so do we but none of us are in the mood to do anything. Working is something Luhan does when he wants to get something off his mind. You coming?” Chanyeol said. Even Chanyeol, the one who always smiled no matter one looked tired and drained.

I picked Camellia up and set her down on the floor. “I think I’ll just stay here overnight.”

Chanyeol sighed and nodded. He picked Camellia up who just rested her head on his shoulder.

 

I put my head down after they left and finally turned my phone on. It had been off all week, Camellia’s been a handful during these past few days and I wondered if it was because of Kris. They weren’t able to spend as much time together because of the workload.

With shaky hands, I opened up the messages Kris sent me.

 

Claire? Where are you?

 

Hey, I don’t feel good. Can you come to my room?

 

Claire I can’t sleep…

 

I don’t feel good.

 

Uncomfortable…Claire….

 

Claire….help

 

I reread the most recent message over and over again. My heart literally felt like it was going to break.

Claire….help

I dropped my phone on his bed and watched as the monitor beeped. They sedated him so he wouldn’t be able to wake up, he needed the rest desperately.

 

“Where is that rascal? How could he be absent during the press conference? You know how embarrassed I was?”

“But sir, he’s sick.”

“And so? Is a cold going to kill you?”

 

I stood up when I heard unfamiliar voices. A man came walking in with his assistant behind.

Kim Young Min

I read his nametag and raised an eyebrow.

 

“And you are?” He asked.

“I think I should be asking you that question, visiting hours were over a while ago.” I said.

He scoffed. “I’m the CEO of the company Kris is under, here’s his manager.”

“I see his manager is more humane than you are.”

He rolled his eyes. “The hell are you talking about?”

“Didn’t you hear him outside? He acknowledged the fact that Kris was sick so he couldn’t attend the press conference. Whereas you, all you care about is you and your money.” I said. “You know he’s suing you right?”

Youngmin shrugged. “He can’t, I’m the CEO of the company, and I have more power than him.”

“And he has more fame and more money than you, doesn’t that piss you off?” I walked up to him. “The fact that you made this company for yourself yet Kris stole all the fame? He has the looks, the talent, the smarts, everything. Then there’s you, jealous little . You hate it don’t you? How everyone walks into your head quarters looking for Kris Wu. They don’t even know you exist… So that’s why you’re giving him all the work right and neglecting the other designers you have?”

He scowled. “Fame? Kris? Fame?”

I stepped up even more. I was taller than him too; I wondered how it felt to be beat to pulp by someone who was younger than him. “How are you kidding? Ask any random person on the street, they know who Kris is. Truth to be told, I didn’t know who you were until today.”

He pulled his sun glasses off and dropped them on the ground. “Who the are you anyway?”

“His girlfriend. Oh and are you single? I’m sorry. I’m sorry you’re single, but then again, who would date someone like you? Are you that -hurt that you have to overwork Kris up to the point of exhaustion?”

“You don’t have any proof that I overworked him to exhaustion.”

I chuckle. “The court files say so otherwise.”

He sneered. “Please, nothing’s going to happen in court. I got him a public defender, those things can’t do . I’ll win…You can’t sue me and win…”

“You can’t argue with me and win, how’s that?”

“Whatcha going to do? Defend him in court?”

“And maybe I will, public defenders are free aren’t they? So what’s the difference if I step in? Are you that cheap that you can’t afford a better lawyer for him? I know he’s against you but how does this look for you? Money hoarder.”

He rolled his eyes. “Listen, I don’t know who you are but I can tell you one thing, I’ll be the one winning in court. There’s no evidence, none that says I was the one who overworked him… You’re going to be useless in court, I can tell you that. He’ll just end up apologizing to me at the end. And this time, he’ll work even harder and my stocks will rise. Tell that little er to hurry up and get better. If he misses another meeting I’ll ing flip.”

 

I slapped him. Hard.

 

He raised his hand to hit me back. I stared straight into his eyes.

“There are cameras here, you know that?”

He froze.

“Kris has more money than you; he can literally buy your company.”

He raised his hand again.

“And do you know what Kris will do to you if you ever lay a finger on me?”

I squatted down slightly so I can meet up with his eye level. “He’ll ing destroy you, all of you. Your reputation, your company, your wealth, your fame. All of it. You’ll be officially nothing.”

I stood up again and smirked. “Enjoy your last few days of being wealthy. We might be strangers but let me tell you something about me; I have never lost an argument in my life. Smashing you to pieces in court will be a piece of cake.”

He rolled his eyes. “Whatever. Tell that bastard to get ready, if he embarrasses me one more time I’m going to be pissed.” Youngmin said bluntly before leaving.

 

Sehun came into the room a few minutes after he left. “Oh gosh Claire that was…kinda hot.” He walked in and closed the door. “You made him so mad did you see that? He was red when he lef- Claire?”

He walked over to me. My fists were clenched and I was boiling in anger. I stomped my feet a few times. “A person’s life is on the line and all he cares about is money? MONEY? ING MONEY? SEHUN I’M GONNA CUT HIM.”

He held my arms. “C-Claire, whoa, stop…Kris is trying to sleep. Aye, are you okay? You’re crying again.”

“I really don’t want to lose Kris…I don’t want him overworked…Ever.”

He hugged me lightly before he sighed. “I think you like him.”

I nodded. “I think so too.”

I sighed. “I’m sorry.”

“N-No…It’s…fine.” He mumbled. “Just…”

“Yeah?”

“Smash that motherer in court.”

“Okay.”