chapter 017

Baby Steps

Baby Steps - Chapter  Seventeen

I smiled happily on the way to the hospital. I didn’t have a clue where Kim Youngmin was but who cares? I won! And that bastard is going to jail!

 

Walking into Kris’s room, I notice Camellia curled up in a ball under the sheets in Kris’s arms. He has his face buried in her hair as they slept.

 

Kris is completely knocked out so I carefully and discreetly take Camellia into my arms and leaves. It’s not long before she wakes up. “Mummy? Mummy? Where’s daddy?”

 

“Daddy’s sleeping. Camellia, you’re turning how many years old tomorrow?”

 

She gasps. “Dwee!”

 

I nod and chuckle. “Yeah, you’re turning three! Daddy’s turning twenty, so do you want a cake?” I ask.

 

Camellia’s eyes light up. “Cake?”

 

“Yeah and pretty cake with princesses on it, do you want to help me pick a cake?” I ask. “Let’s get one for daddy and one for you, okay?”

 

“Yes!” She claps her hands.

 

“I also have a surprise to tell daddy.” I say.

 

“Oh, a brother?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Does Camellia get a brother?” She asks.

 

I look down at her and raise an eyebrow. “A…brother?”

 

“A baby?”

 

“Ah…I don’t know about that.” I say as I walk down the stairs. Sehun’s on his way in when he sees us.

 

“Claire! Where ya going?” He asks.

 

Camellia perks up. “Cake.”

 

“Let me go with you.”

 

I shake my head. “It’ll be okay, watch Kris…he’s alone right now.”

 

“But Claire-“

 

“I’ll be fine…I got my sunglasses.” I held them up and slipped them on before leaving. “See ya!”

 

 

[narrator]

 

“That’s not what I meant…” Sehun sighs and walks up the steps. “She’ll get annoyed if I follow her even if she said not to…”

 

 

Then he feels weird all of a sudden, a feeling of déjà vu. What’s going to happen? Where is Youngmin?

 

He clutches his phone and walks into Kris’s room. He’s pacing around his room now and he doesn’t know what to do. Where is Claire? She always leaves her phone on silent, what’s the point of doing anything?

 

 

Kris wakes up from all the noise. “Sehun…how’d it go? What’s wrong? Where’s Camellia?”

 

He looks over. “H-Hyung.” There are tears in his eyes.

 

Kris raises an eyebrow. Throughout the years, Sehun’s always gotten paranoid over little things. He was the baby of the house, well besides Camellia and he’s so sensitive.

 

“Hey…come here.” Kris waves his hand. “Sehun, come here. What’s wrong?”

 

“I’m worried.” Sehun avoids his eyes as if he’s done something wrong.

 

“For what?”  

 

“Claire’s out in the city by herself…she wouldn’t let me go with her and…Youngmin’s just, god knows where he is.” Sehun says. “I just, I have this weird feeling.”

 

“Didn’t you say they took him away?” Kris asks.

 

Sehun looks up. “But he said he wanted to go to his office one last time, we all know he’s a liar.”

 

Kris runs his fingers through his messy dark hair. “Hm…Where can she possibly be?” He asks as he picks up his phone. He attempts to call her but she doesn’t pick up. “This girl…”

 

“H-Hyung, I’m seriously getting scared. I’m gonna go-“

 

“Let me go with you-“

 

Sehun shakes his head. “No, they’ll never let you out in that condition, and if anything, God forbid something happens to Claire and she comes back injured to find out you went out of your way to help her, she’ll get mad at you. Hyung…she likes you, you know what? She’s just scared to admit anything because…of your old feelings. But she likes you, cherish that.” Sehun stammers before leaving.  

 

Kris sighs and taps his bed in frustration because he too started feeling a bit weird, Claire isn’t answering her phone and there’s no sign of Youngmin either

 

 

Sehun’s flustered as he walks out of the hospital. Not just because the girl he likes is probably in danger, because he’s trying to find her for someone else’s sake. He knows Kris likes her too and it does hurt him deep down knowing that he probably won’t get her at the end.

 

Meanwhile…

 

“Mummy, someone following us.” Camellia buries her head in Claire’s shoulders.

 

“Whatcha talking about?” Claire turns around to see Youngmin.

 

“ing , get over here.” He grabs her harshly by her arm and pulls her into a corner.

 

“Camelli- No!” Claire stumbles as the men behind Youngmin grabs the child out of her arms.

 

Youngmin slams her against a wall. “DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’VE DONE? YOU , I LOST SO MUCH IING MONEY. JAIL, I’M GOING TO JAIL. ALL BECAUSE OF THAT BASTARD, I ING LOST EVERYTHING. AND IF KRIS CAUSED ME TO LOSE EVERYTING I PRIZED THE MOST, I’LL GET RID IF WHAT HE LOVES THE MOST. YOU AND THAT LITTLE GIRL.” He smacks her, hard.

 

Claire falls to the ground and fumbles with her phone. The only person who’s on her mind right now is Kris, but he’s probably asleep. She speed dialed her older brother.

 

“Claire?”

 

“ ARE YOU CALLING? NO POINT IN CALLING UP THE POLICE NOW, YOU DUMB .”

 

Claire screams when she feels a shocking pain, the feeling of having something hit you.

 

“Claire! Claire, what’s wrong?”

 

“K-Kai…the intersection at…” Another scream, this time it sounds more painful.

 

“Get the child too.” Youngmin hands his men another steel pole.

 

“Camellia no!” She runs for Camellia and blocks the strike with her arms.

 

The little girl’s in tears. “Mummy…no…”

 

“Kai! Intersection between Hongdae’s two biggest malls. Kai…please…”

 

Youngmin chuckles when he hears that the other person’s hung up. “Ain’t nobody saving you now, right?”

 

He grabs her by the collar and pins her up against the wall. “Look at this , white as . She has no time left, she’s done. Get the child.”

 

Claire shakes her head. “You’re ed…stealing civil rights and…and then attempted murdered? That’s a life…sentence for you.” She says softly.

 

Kai runs out of his house, angry; his little sister is in danger and Kris is probably oblivious.

 

He runs down the street and pushes anyone who’s in his way/

 

Sehun’s walking down the street, his blonde hair a mess and his shirt all wrinkled from running around the city.

 

He spots Kai and stares for a moment. “Her…brother?”

 

He freezes. “He knows…He knows!” He says before running after him.

The two stop at the same spot; the ally Claire’s in.

 

“Claire!” They both say.

 

Kai and Sehun exchange glances, there’s no time to explain.

 

Kai makes a run for his little sister, he prys Kim Youngmin off of her and throws a punch. He’s furious and even the sickening crack of his jaw bone doesn’t help anything.

 

Sehun grabs the steel poles and gives it a good swing, Youngmin’s men are now all injured and distracted.

 

He pulls his button down off and wraps the terrified Camellia up. “Camellia? Camellia? You okay? It’s Sehun, are you okay?” He gives her a hug and kisses her forehead. “Give me a minute okay?” He pushes her bangs out of the way. “Okay baby?” He kisses her cheek and nods.

 

“Go help Claire.” Sehun says dryly when he steps next to Kai.

 

Kai walks off to his little sister. “Claire…Claire, are you okay?”

 

Claire looks up; she’s in her older brother’s arms. “Where’s Camellia?”

 

Kai hugs her close and rubs her shoulders. He calls the police and silences her.

 

“She’ll be okay; I’m more worried about you.” He whispers as he picks up her. “Don’t talk, you’re scaring me.”

 

His eyes are teary and he’s never seen Claire in such a state. “Gosh, what the heck, Claire? Crazy girl.” Kai mumbles as he walks towards the little girl.

 

Sehun pins Youngmin down and never stops punching him until he’s unconscious. He gets up and steps away. “I hope you rot in hell.” He whispers angrily. “You lost everything, I hope you know that. We have two witnesses and two victims, you’re done.” Sehun steps back and runs towards Camellia. He picks the little girl up and gives her a hug.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Camellia’s little arms squirm out of his shirt and reaches to touch his face. She pulls her hands back to reveal blood. “No…”

 

Sehun shakes his head. “Are you okay? Are you hurt?”

 

Camellia shakes her head, she’s a bit shaken up but she still hugs him tightly. “Tank you.”

 

Kai is furious as he sits in the ambulance. “Who was he? What’s his name? I’m not afraid of going to jail, tell me who did this to you.” He whispers.

Claire turns to him and flinches at the pain. “It’ll be okay, he’s gonna let the life sentence and I’ll make sure I slam him in court a second time. And Jongin?”

Kai looks down. “Yeah?”

“I think I know what I want to do for the rest of my life.”

He pushes her hair back and smiles. “It’s about time, my little munchkin.”

She wrinkles her nose. “Hey…I told you to stop calling me that when I was ten.”

“Whatever, munchkin.” 

[a/n] at least kim youngmin is over! 

Kai x Claire moments FTW! Imagine Kai as your over protective older brother ;))) hah

and, give me one girl name and one boy name.

Why? Erh...no reason. >.>;;