chapter 001

Baby Steps

Baby Steps - Chapter One

“Claire, get a job! For God’s sake, all you do is sit on that stupid website Tumblr or something. Is that gonna pay the bills? You’re 19, fresh out of high school, have you even considered college yet?!”

Ugh, my mom’s morning rants always get me out of the house. And for the record, I’m turning 20 which is like five months away.

Get a job? Done. I got one, on the first try too. Smooth right? You won’t believe who I work for! Guess.

Nope. Not it.

Nope. Keep going.

Haha, funny, no. Try again.

Oh you wish!

No. That’s not it either.

I work for the name that’s on your jeans. YES. YES. You know that company too? K.Wu? I work for the dude behind the company! Kris Wu! Lemme tell you something, that man is a piece of hot. He smells nice too. NOT THAT I SMELLED HIM ON THE FIRST DAY LIKE WHAT WHO DOES THAT.

He’s a fashion designer, which bums me out because he’s the same age as me and he’s gained international success meanwhile me? Aha, I just reached 3,000 followers on tumblr.  Biggest achievement of my life to be honest.

All I need to do is take care of his daughter which shouldn’t be that hard. How hard is it to slap a diaper on the little girl, turn on Sesame Street and give her a cookie? Bam! I’m mother material. Just kidding, I’d probably end up burning the house down if you leave me home alone with a baby.

I don’t know much about his mansion though, I showed up late today for the job interviews. I was walking around the city then I just somehow ended up there. I was two hours late for the interview and every girl that came out looked sad and bummed out because they didn’t get the job.

I suppose he got desperate and hired me out of nowhere because I was just standing at the front when one of his assistants was like “Kris, another girl’s there for the job interview.”

Then the Kris dude just put his sun glasses on, buttoned his suit and stormed out of his mansion. Before getting into his car he was like “Chanyeol just hire her. Tomorrow, right here at eight in the morning sharp.” Did he not see me? I was standing like two feet away from him. What a loser.

Anyway, so yeah, I start tomorrow. I’m quite excited, how often do you hear a tumblr user want to go outside? That’s new!  

 

My mom was ecstatic to hear that I would be working for someone so famous. She patted my arm and said “Not bad! I heard Mr.Wu has a terrible love life, I think you might fix that no? And then you guys will fall in love and get married?”

I chuckled and rolled my eyes. It’s a typical mother’s dream to have your daughter marry a rich man isn’t it?

“I think I might have to move out though, I have to watch his little girl twenty four seven, I’m not gonna have time to be home.”

My mom shook her head and told me not to worry. “Don’t worry, dad already knows. He won’t mind having you out of the house either. You’re always cooped up in the house on the internet; it’s about time you get a job. Just visit on the weekends or whenever possible. Kai will bring you to his mansion tomorrow.”

My older brother’s name is Kai; he’s twenty one and is a choreographer for SM Entertainment. I guess you can say he’s pretty cool.

 

The next day, Kai drove me to Kris’s mansion at eight.

“Sis, you sure about this? You’re gonna stay at this dude’s house for the rest of your life?”

I rolled my eyes. “Not for the rest of my life, unless I really like it here then maybe.”

“You don’t even know him, you sure about this? You haven’t even met the guy!”

“I’ll tell you if he tries anything weird.” I pinky promised him.

Kai sighed and shook his head. “You better answer your phone.”

I laughed and nodded as I unbuckled my seat belt. I grabbed my bag and kissed my older brother’s cheek before leaving.  “Bye! Love you.” I said as I got out of the car.

Kris’s assistants already got my luggage. I stood and waved to my brother as he drove off. A couple minutes later, my iPhone rang like crazy.

“Are you inside yet? Is he weird? Is he a creep? Is he answering? Claire answer me.” My brother was screaming over the phone.

I laughed. “I’m still outside! Nothing’s going to happen my God. I’m gonna hang up now, the hell are you doing using your phone while driving?”

“I’m at a red lig-“ I ended the call and strolled into the mansion. It was huge, I looked around in awe. How rich is this kid?

A really tall guy who’s probably my age, or a year older came downstairs. “Oh hi, are you the new nanny?”

I wrinkled my nose. Nanny? That makes me sound like I’m eighty! “Uh, I’d prefer it if you used the term baby sitter?”

He laughed with his deep voice. “Or that, give me a few minutes. I’ll get everyone downstairs.”

Before I knew it, I was standing in the kitchen with a couple other guys. “So, why aren’t there any girls here but me?”

The deep voiced teen spoke again. “You’ll understand after I tell you about Kris. But first off, I’m Chanyeol and I usually look after Camellia, Kris’s daughter.”

“Then why am I-“

“He figured she’d need a female figure in her life at one point so…that’s why you’re here.” Chanyeol said.

“I’m Kyungsoo, nineteen and I cook. Chanyeol’s twenty.” Kyungsoo smiled, he had a heart shaped smile. How beautiful.

“I’m Sehun, eighteen and I recruit models for his clothing lines.” Sehun said. I found him adorable.

“I’m Luhan, nineteen and I’m the photographer.” He lifted his camera and I flashed a smile.  “Ohh. Miss. Photogenic.”

Chanyeol continued. “Camellia’s full name is Camellia Cara Wu. Kris’s girlfriend Cara named her that a couple days before she died. Cancer.” He said. “Anyway, after that Kris stopped believing in love all together. Camellia reminded him of Cara, looks and her name. He’s grown distant to her because well, he doesn’t know how to love. Deep down, I know a simple smile or a “daddy” from Camellia would make his day. The thing is, she doesn’t speak. You would think normal two year olds would start speaking by now but nope. Nothing.”

“Little Camellia is turning three in four months, she has the same birthday as Kris.” Kyungsoo said. “I wish they had a better father daughter relationship. Celebrating their birthdays together would be great.”

I nodded along. “Wow, that’s a lot to take in.”

“You remind me of Camellia.” Luhan said. He eyed me the whole time and looked at my features.

“She has your long brown hair and same eyes.” He said.

“That’s kinda odd.” Sehun said as he looked at my picture. He held the camera up next to a picture of Camellia. “This is fate.” He chuckled.

“Oh! Camellia should be waking up by now.” Chanyeol looked at his watch. “Can you go get her? I’ll bring breakfast up in a few. Her room’s the one with the pink door on the second floor.”

 

I nodded and found Camellia’s room in a matter of minutes. She sat up in her little bed with her stuffed animals.  Camellia looked at me with this face on, as if she was expecting someone else. Of course, she expected Chanyeol to be here. Or…She’s never seen other female in her whole life.

“Good morning Camellia.” I smiled. 


And so it begins... 

Comment!