Chapter 18

The Neopular Couple

Min's POV

 

"I'm going to a reunion after visiting your grandparents and won't be back until around midnight. Don't skip dinner and sleep early okay?" My mom said as she hugged me goodbye then left.

 

"Yes! I don't need an acceptable explanation why Mark's coming today."I smiled at the thought and cleaned the place up a bit and prepared a few snacks. An hour passed before I knew it and heard a soft knock on the door. I opened it revealing a rather dressed Mark on the patio, rubbing his nape gently with his head down.

 

"Hi." I beamed, making him look up slowly and smile in return.

 

"Hello. Uhm did you need anything? And uh may I come in?" He asked, slightly stuttering.

 

"Oh sure sure." I said, making way for him to enter the house.

 

"Well you look dressed today." I eyed him with an eyebrow raised.

 

"Jackson." He simply replied and sighed, sitting down on the sofa and fixed his glasses.

 

"It suits you though. You look nice. But it's a little overdone. Here." I sat down beside him and removed his snapback then fixed his hair. I looked at him once more with my lips pursed and removed his glasses, making him raise his hands, trying to get them back.

 

"Better." I gave him a small smile and placed his glasses on the coffee table.

 

"I appreciate it but I can't see." He uttered, slightly pouting. I chuckled at his expression and got up. I ran to my room and got my contact lenses then went back down, sitting on the same position I was in a while ago.

 

"This will only take a few seconds. Just stay still." I said and came nearer, putting the lenses on him. I focused on my work and stared at his eyes when I finished. It was the first time I saw them up close.  

 

"What beautiful brown orbs you have. Too bad they're hidden behind your glasses." I stated, moving back and stared at him blinking his eyes rapidly, adjusting to the contacts most probably.

 

"Thanks."

 

Mark's POV

 

"I'm going out for a while." I said and grabbed a black hoodie, heading for the door when Jackson's voice stopped me.

 

"Woah hold up. Where are you going?" He asked, peeping from the kitchen.

 

"Uhm to Min's?" I answered, unsure.

 

"In that?" He questioned and eyed my outfit. I was wearing a white v - neck shirt underneath my hoodie, some not - so - skinny jeans and my black high cut chucks.

 

"What?"

 

"No way. You're not going to Min's in that." He responded and clicked his tongue, dragging me upstairs.

 

"If you're going to Min's house, you gotta look better than that. You have to look cooler, attractive."

 

"What? Why?"

 

"Oh come on don't tell me you don't want to impress the Park Minkyung because I know you do Mr. Tuan." He uttered and gave me a look. I groaned, knowing Jackson caught me again.

 

"Well what am I suppose to wear then?" 

 

"Let me check." He rummaged through his closet and threw a blue and black, mid sleeved plaid shirt, black, ripped jeans and a black snapback out.

 

"Seriously? I think that's too much. It's not like I'm going on a date with her."

 

"Oh come on it's not that bad Mark. Trust me, you'll look better than ever." I sighed and entered the bathroom, wearing Jackson's clothes and went out, seeing his satisfied grin when he saw me.

 

"You're good. Now go, your princess is waiting." He said and pushed me out the door.

 

I walked to Min's house hesitantly and knocked on her door. She opened it and eyed my outfit immediately, making me nervous and look down. "Hi." She spoke up and smile sweetly at me. I smiled back and went inside.

 

"Well you look dressed today." She looked at me with an eyebrow raised.

 

"Jackson." I replied and sighed, fixing my glasses as we sat on the sofa.

 

"It suits you though. You look nice. But it's a little overdone. Here." She moved closer and removed the snapback I was wearing then fixed my hair. After that, she removed my glasses. I tried to take them back but I was too late.

 

"Better." She gave me a small smile and placed my glasses on the coffee table in front of us.

 

"I appreciate it but I can't see." I uttered and heard her chuckling slightly, just then I realized I was pouting. She suddenly ran upstairs and left me alone. A few seconds later, she went back down with a small container in her hands then sat beside me again.

 

"This will only take a few seconds. Just stay still." She said and came nearer, putting the contact lenses on me, making my heart skip a beat as I stared at her eyes focused on mine until she told me to look up.

 

"What beautiful brown orbs you have. Too bad they're hidden behind your glasses." She stated, moving back and stared at me blinking my eyes furiously, trying to adjust on the contacts. I thanked her as I felt my heartbeat increase by her simple compliment.

 

 

Min's POV

 

I was thinking of a way to avoid awkwardness as much as possible while Mark was adjusting to the contacts. To tell you the truth though, I never knew Mark was this good looking.

 

"Would you like a glass of orange juice?" I asked when I realized I was spacing out.

 

"Sure, that sounds rather nice." He answered with a shy smile.

 

I got up and headed straight for the kitchen and filled two glasses with fresh orange juice. I went back to Mark and gave him a glass, earning a small bow in appreciation. "So uhm why'd you ask me to come by?" He questioned after sipping on his drink. What should I say? I can't possibly go straight to the point and ask about his past love life, no. Think Min, think. Oh! The Geometry homework!

 

"I wanted to ask if you could help me with our homework in Geometry."

 

"Oh you could've told me back then so I could've brought my notes."

 

"Oh sorry. I was uh in a hurry." I lied once more. I set my book and notes up on the coffee table and started doing the homework with Mark helping me. Around forty five minutes later, we finished answering and laid our backs on the sofa, still sitting on the floor.

 

"Hey Mark, would you mind if I ask you something about yourself?" I asked in a soft voice, shifting my gaze from the papers in front of me to him.

 

"Not at all. Go ahead." He replied with a small nod.

 

"Well I was at the park earlier today to meet an old friend but something happened so I ran away and bumped into Yugyeom then I told him everything and he told me you somehow had a similar situation and I got curious. What was uhm your past love life like?.... Come here." I uttered quickly then asked him quietly, catching him off guard by my question and gently led his head down to my lap and played with his hair. It was a very weird and random habit of mine especially when someone's going to open up to me. I honestly don't know how or why I got that habit though.

 

"Sorry. I tend to get touchy with people especially during times like this. Go on."

 

"Well, all my life, I've always been devoted to my studies. I never failed to submit a project or an assignment on time, my grades never went lower than ninety three. In general, I never failed anything. Back in middle school, a new girl transferred to our class. She was smart like me and she had the same pair of glasses as me and I liked her. I never got the courage to really speak to her in person so I sent letters to her by sliding it in her locker. We grew closer together just like that and it turned out she had a little crush on me too. I was beyond happy that time. But then, my parents got disappointed when they saw my grades a bit lower than usual. They said I was too distracted so I tried to prove them wrong. I focused on my studies like never before and that caused me to unknowingly and unintentionally ignore her. I waited for her letters as days passed but they never came. I tried to talk to her but she would not listen to me. I soon found out that she liked this athletic guy in class and it turned out he liked her too. To cut the long story short, I lost the girl I loved, I lost my best friend. I lost her." He closed his eyes after then sighed.

 

"That's too bad." I responded, slightly his hair.

 

"How about you? May I ask what your love life was before?" He asked, facing me.

 

"Well to summarize it, I had two best friends when I was in preschool; a guy and a girl. But when I turned 10, I started liking the guy and it turned out he liked me too and that didn't make my girl best friend happy since she liked him too. We only talked through messages too since we were scared that she would catch us talking. One day, she just 'exploded' and started saying mean things to me so I had to stay away and that cause me and the guy to drift apart. That time, I lost my two best friends and I lost the person I really cared about too."

 

"So I'm guessing the person you met in the park was that same guy you liked?"

 

"Wow you caught on fast. Yeah, that's him. He was also the guy I met when I asked you to be my pretend boyfriend for a day." I said, receiving an 'Oh' look from him.

 

"I ran away because he said he realized he still liked me and things like that."

 

"Wow well that's.... Complicated."

 

"I know, right?"

 

"By the way, this feels rather comforting." He uttered and closed his eyes with a small smile plastered on his face.

 

"I know." I replied with a grin.

 

"Why did you dye your hair red though?" I continued.

 

"It started off as a penalty for losing a game. I was going to dye it back to my original hair color but I liked it so I kept it this way." He opened his eyes and answered.

 

 

Mark's POV

 

"What was uhm your past love life like?.... Come here." Her question caught me off guard but what surprised me more was when she let my head rest on her lap and played with my hair. I went on with my little story telling, relaxing in her soft touch. It was really comforting and it felt rather nice to be honest. When I heard her story after, I too realized we somehow had similar stories. What a coincidence. I kept my eyes closed, enjoying the moment I was feeling her touch and only opened them when I answered her question.

 

"Why did you dye your hair red though?" 

 

"It started off as a penalty for losing a game. I was going to dye it back to my original hair color but I liked it so I kept it this way." I stared at her after answering then felt my phone vibrate. I got up and opened a message I received from Jackson. Slightly disappointed by its contents, I got up hesitantly.

 

"I'm truly sorry but I've got to go." 

 

"Wait." Before I got a chance to take a step, she held my arm and pulled herself up, facing me. A second later, I found myself wrapped around in the arms of Min. She thanked me as I wrapped my arms around her as well, smiling to myself as I placed my chin on the top of her head. I never imagined myself with Park Minkyung like this ever and I genuinely felt happier than I ever did before. Being in the arms of the person I truly cared for for almost four years was the best feeling ever. I just wish time would stop at this very moment. I don't want it to end just yet. She looked up a while later making me face her. I stared at her eyes, mesmerized and drawn into them as she was lost in mine. Sooner did I realize that I was leaning closer, and she was doing the same.

 

We came closer..

 

And closer...

 

And closer...

 

Until my phone vibrated once more, causing both of us to stop just around an inch and a half apart, ruining the moment. I sighed and apologized. "I really have to go. I'm sorry." 

 

"It's okay." She said and led me to the door, holding my arm once more and spun me around, quickly pecking on my cheek.  

 

"Until next time Mr. Tuan. Keep it." She handed me the snapback and my glasses back along with the contacts' container then smiled and bid a goodbye. I did too and headed home, the smile never, not once, leaving my face.