9

Or So It Seems

Kris didn't know why he decided to follow his gut feeling when he'd left the others. Maybe it was because he was hoping he'd be able to find some sort of clue to get them out of this mess. 

Which was why he was currently standing in front of the elevators. 

Kris had a hopeful feeling in his stomach, especially after his incident in the science lab, so when the doors to the elevator slowly slid open, dim lights illuminating the inside, he took a deep breath and stepped inside. Besides, if there was no clue in there, he'd just end up on the lower floor, closer to the other members who'd already been terminated. The doors slid shut behind Kris, sealing him inside, and the lights seemed to become even dimmer. Kris pressed the button quickly, waiting for the elevator to start moving.

It didn't budge.

Kris pressed the button again, a little harder this time.

But still, no movement.

Kris sighed in frustration, resisting the urge to slam his fist on the button repetitively because he knew that if he did that he'd start panicking.

Kris looked around, the black glossy walls on all sides of himself, the slick tile beneath his feet, and finally the ceiling where barely noticeable back up lights flickered.

There was no way out.

"You're still in the 'Game', Kris, and you have to follow the rules, just like everyone else" Kris heard a soft voice murmur from behind him.

He spun around, heart pounding in his chest as he searched for the source of the voice. And yet no one stood with him inside the elevators, his only company the black walls encircling him.

"Where are you?" Kris demanded shakily, trying to quell the panic rising in his chest.

"Right in front of you" the voice whispered, and Kris looked closer at his reflection, hoping he was wrong.

But when his reflected self slowly grinned at him, eyes completely black against the dark, glossy walls, Kris knew where the source of the voice was coming from.

It was himself.

"Unfortunately, you've broken the rules, Kris" his reflection spoke softly, Kris' own voice pouring from its mouth.

Kris backed away, eyes still trained on his reflection, and started hitting the button with his fist, over and over again.

"Sorry, competitor, but when you break the rules, a consequence will occur" Kris' voice purred at him, his grin stretching even further across angular features.

Kris turned around now, breathing coming heavier as he continued to slam the button with his fist, hair falling into his eyes.

"Come on!" Kris shouted, unable to take the sound of his own voice whispering into his ear.

"Goodbye, competitor number seven" Kris heard his voice murmur slowly from behind him as a vague thought that he should be number six flitted across his mind. But then the reflection directly in front of him lifted a single hand, as if waving goodbye, and Kris finally turned around, sinking to his knees in the center of the small elevator.

The lights flickered out, plunging Kris into complete darkness, right before the elevator button finally lit up.

And then Kris felt himself falling.
 


Luhan sprinted through the dark hallways, trying to remember which way he'd seen Kyungsoo run. He'd lost the other when Kyungsoo had taken a sharp turn, and by the time he'd rounded the corner as well, the hallway in front of him was empty.

"Kyungsoo?" Luhan called out, ears straining for any sound from the missing boy.

The hallway seemed to stretch out in front of Luhan, the end of it completely obscured with shadows.

"Kyungsoo" Luhan said again, a bit louder and more demanding this time.

'We're going back together' Luhan thought with determination, slowly starting down the dark hallway. He was halfway down the corridor, shoes squeaking quietly in the silence, when he heard it.

A scream.

"Kyungsoo" Luhan whispered, taking off at a run towards the sound.