15

Or So It Seems

Lay sat up with a gasp, trying to remember where he was. His back was sore and cold, similar to the rest of his body really. 

Once he spotted Baekhyun and Chanyeol asleep on the ground, it all came back.

They were all still in the 'Game'.

Turning to look to his other side, Lay's brow furrowed in confusion.

Luhan was gone.

"Where did he go?" Lay murmured softly to himself, standing and stretching his sore back. The thought that Luhan probably just left for the bathroom crossed his mind and Lay let out a relieved breath. But then he froze when he remembered how the 'Game' had taken total control of him earlier, how it could take control of anyone. 

Besides, Luhan would have woken someone if he'd left for the bathroom. 

Lay was just about to wake Baekhyun and Chanyeol when a voice whispered in his mind.

"Don't" 

Lay froze, hand poised over Baekhyun's shoulder, and slowly turned when he saw movement at the end of the hallway. A familiar sense of dread settled in his stomach when he saw a figure standing at the mouth of the hallway.

"Not. Again" Lay muttered, the similarity of the situation to his previous episode upstairs washing over him.

Yet something was different.

The figure didn't move towards him, didn't move away either, just stared at him. Then the voice spoke in his mind again.

"I can take you to him"

Lay instantly knew 'him' was Luhan, which brought him walking up to the figure at the end of the hallway.

As he drew closer, he recognized the person.

Luhan. 

But Lay knew it wasn't really Luhan, he could tell from the lifeless look in the other's eyes as he turned and led Lay further into the school.

Lay in a breath and then took off after Luhan, the other's school blazer disappearing into the darkness of the hallways as he silently strode away.

Lay recognized the path they were taking as he walked along with the other Luhan, he'd taken it every day he'd gone to dance practice since he'd come to the school.

However, Lay didn't anticipate the moment when the other Luhan stopped halfway down the hallway, turned around, gave a sad look in Lay's direction, and promptly disappeared. 

Lay walked to the area where the other had just stood, spinning around as he searched for either Luhan.

He'd said he could take Lay to Luhan.

So where was he?

Lay felt slightly sick as he leaned against the wall, head pressed against the hard stone, eyes closed, mind racing.

Opening his eyes, Lay saw the slightest trace of light seeping out from under the door to the dance studio, and he perked up. Striding over to the door, Lay grabbed ahold of the handle.

But it was locked.

Peering through the small window into the room, the first thing Lay noticed was black writing all over the mirrors, almost unreadable from where he was standing.

The next thing he noticed was Luhan, kneeling in front of the mirrors with both hands on his chest.

"Luhan!" Lay shouted, bringing his hands down against the door.

Luhan turned in his direction, eyes unfocused. 

"Luhan, come on! Open the door!" Lay shouted again, frantically gesturing towards the door. 

But Luhan remained where he was on the floor before lifting a hand to point at the words scrawled across the mirror.

Right before he slumped over on the ground, eyes finally falling shut.

Lay could hear his ragged breaths as he pressed his head against the small window and let his hands fall to his sides.

Luhan had saved him when he was upstairs.

But he was too late to save Luhan.

Lay had no energy left to scream, to pound against the door demanding Luhan to let him in, to sob by himself outside the room as he stared at Luhan's limp body just on the other side. 

He simply looked blankly through the window, not believing Luhan was out.

Something clicked in his mind, however, when Lay's gaze traveled over the word covered mirror in front of Luhan. 

'a) Apart from you
b) Amongst you'

The same words covered the mirror, the one scrawled right in front of Luhan circled over and over again on the first option.

Looking back at Luhan, Lay noticed the black marker on the floor next to where Luhan's hand rested limply. 

"Apart from you, amongst you" Lay murmured, drawing a blank at what Luhan had been trying to tell him. The writing seemed like a multiple choice question, the only problem was that Lay didn't know the question. He pressed his head harder against the door, feeling the edge of the small window bite into his skin, but he still couldn't come up with an explanation. 

Turning away with a heavy heart and a confused mind, Lay made his way back up the corridors towards Chanyeol and Baekhyun, Luhan's scribbled words on the mirror continuously running through his mind. He walked unconsciously, mumbling the words over and over, and before he knew it, he was rounding the corner to where he'd left Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Lay looked up from the ground, expecting to see the two sleeping forms of his last friends. 

The sight that met his eyes, however, was completely unexpected.

Chanyeol was on his back, a smaller figure holding him down as his long legs kicked out uselessly.

Baekhyun's hands were wrapped around the taller boy's neck, cutting off his air.

"Apart from you, amongst you" 

The words ghosted across Lay's mind once again, and then it clicked. 

The person behind the 'Game' was either one of the two. 

Luhan had chosen the first option.

And he'd been terminated.

Lay gave a shout before running for the other two, he could see the force with which Chanyeol struggled against Baekhyun quickly decreasing.

But then the scene in front of him changed and Lay skidded to a stop. 

Chanyeol was lying on his side, breathing softly in his sleep.

Baekhyun, however, was awake, dark hair falling across his eyes.

And he was staring straight at Lay from where he sat next to Chanyeol. 

Lay held his head in his hands as he caught his breath. He'd literally almost had a heart attack when he'd seen Baekhyun strangling Chanyeol. Looking up, suddenly Baekhyun was standing right in front of Lay, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Are you ok, Hyung?" Baekhyun asked softly, "Where's Luhan?" he continued with a sad look in his eyes as if he already knew the answer.

Lay let out a sigh.

"Yeah, I'm fine, I just keep seeing these really strange things. I'm not sure if this is even real" he admitted, leaving out the part when he'd thought Baekhyun was killing Chanyeol.

Then he remembered the writing on the board, his sudden thought that it meant one of them was behind the 'Game', and began to open his mouth to tell Baekhyun.

But then his chest constricted painfully.

Lay gasped, hand coming up to press against his chest as he bent over.

"Hyung? Yixing, what's wrong?" Lay heard Baekhyun's voice echo in the background, but he couldn't answer.

Lay fell to his knees and he felt a stronger pair of hands support him as he choked for air. 

Looking up, Lay saw Chanyeol's worried face hovering over him as his vision started to darken. Baekhyun hovered over Chanyeol's shoulder, and Lay saw a grin slowly spread across his shadowed face. 

Lay felt his chest squeeze even tighter and he tried to mouth a warning to Chanyeol. But then the expression on Baekhyun's face changed abruptly, turning to worry.

Lay tried to tell himself that Baekhyun's grin had just been another hallucination before his vision completely faded out, plunging him into darkness. 

 

 

 

Uh ohhh;);) Sorry I haven't updated in a while...school's been kinda busy (ughh) Buuut..I loove reading all these comments (ohh the possibilities;)) and of course, there's more to cooome;)

~LateNightBubbleTea