18

Or So It Seems

A small gasp passed Chanyeol's lips as the watch on his wrist tightened even more. Looking down at his wrist, Chanyeol couldn't see any signs that the watch was tightening, but he could feel it cutting off his circulation.

The face seemed to pulse in the dim lighting, a deep urge to do something settling in Chanyeol's stomach. Raising trembling fingers to the small knob on the side of the watch, Chanyeol pulled it out and began to move the little hands as if he were simply changing the time.

As he moved further away from current time, Chanyeol felt the tightening cease on his wrist as he let out a sigh of relief. Pushing the little knob back in, Chanyeol waited for the hands to start ticking again.

Yet nothing happened. 

But Chanyeol was too distracted to notice that as a small burning sensation pressed against his upper thigh. Chanyeol yelped as he quickly slid a hand into his pocket, grabbing the source of the burning and tossing it out onto the floor. Chest rising and falling rapidly, Chanyeol's eyes strained in the darkness to see what he'd tossed out of his pocket. 

A small dark object laid on the ground just a few feet from Chanyeol, something he'd used just a while ago.

His phone.

And then the guilt crashed over him, sending Chanyeol to his knees with his head in his hands. 

'What is happening to me?' Chanyeol thought to himself, trying to push aside the emotions coursing through him. 

Finally they subsided, leaving Chanyeol breathing heavily on the floor. He reached a tentative hand out to brush against his phone, picking it up when it felt cool against his skin.

So far he was no further to figuring out the challenge than before, besides the various emotions crashing through his chest and leaving him more confused than ever.

 

 

Baekhyun almost fell mid-stride when a sharp pain shot through his chest. 

He let out a sharp breath as he caught himself, legs trembling underneath him. He could see the corner where the elevators waited just ahead of him and he continued to walk towards his destination.

Baekhyun pushed his bangs out of his eyes as he rounded the corner, one hand still pressed against his chest. But just as he took his first steps towards the crumpled elevator, Baekhyun noticed something was off.

Kris' body wasn't there. 

Baekhyun's blood ran cold at the unexpected sight and he froze with his mouth slightly parted in shock. But then he was gritting his teeth as another sharp pain shot through his chest, letting out a whimper as it subsided. Feeling like his heart was being stabbed inside his chest, Baekhyun stumbled past the elevator area, trying to make his way back to where Chen had been terminated.

If he could just get into the office and to Chen's body, he could check for a mark on Chen's neck too. 

And if Chen had a mark, then it would confirm that they'd all been drugged since Chen had been the first. 

Baekhyun started to jog, not sure how much longer he had left with these pains in his chest, and he was soon staring at his reflection in the dark windows of the front office. He tilted his head to the side, staring intently at his neck in his reflection, and then brought a hand up to brush hesitantly against the skin. 

Sure enough, a small bump grazed across his fingertips, sending a shiver up his spine. But he still wanted to see if he could get to Chen, so he urgently grabbed the door handle, shaking it under trembling hands. 

Words seemed to ghost past Baekhyun's ear and he whipped around, breathing hard.

"One moment, competitor" 

There was no source to the sound as Baekhyun's wide eyes scoured the dim area around him, but then he heard a soft click behind him. 

Turning back to the door, Baskhyun lowered a hand back to the door handle, hoping he'd heard right. The door handle turned under his hand and Baekhyun stepped into the dark room. Suddenly the dim lights , illuminating the room. 

Baekhyun's eyes landed on the empty chairs, the large receptionist desks, and finally on the source of his search. 

Chen still sat slumped in his chair, just like in the beginning, and Baekhyun felt tears build up in his eyes before he crossed over to the other boy, falling to his knees with his hands fluttering around Chen helplessly. Baekhyun gently pulled the duct tape off of his friend's mouth pushing the other's hair out of his face. 

"I'm so sorry Chen-ah" Baekhyun whispered, wishing he could have realized how serious this 'Game' was sooner. Another sharp pain wracked Baekhyun's body and his hands fisted involuntarily in Chen's shirt. Baekhyun let his head hang as he caught his breath, remembering why he'd come to find Chen. Lifting his head, Baekhyun tilted Chen's face to the side, heart pounding in his chest.

A small bump marked Chen's skin, just like the others Baekhyun had checked.

Just like himself.