1

Or So It Seems

Chanyeol groaned as he peeled his face off of the hard, cold table in front of him. He must have fallen asleep during their 'study session'. After their day at school, they'd all decided to stay after school to study, which wasn't really so much studying as it was just hanging out since they were all free. Not that it really mattered, Chanyeol and his friends were all in their senior year at highschool, hence their large case of senioritis.                                                                                               

Looking around, he spotted the rest of his friends similarly passed out on top of their open textbooks, mouths open and books in serious drool-danger. Chanyeol chuckled sleepily before stretching his lanky arms over his head and leaning over to slap Kyungsoo's back. 

"Uungh, five more minutes mom, please" Kyungsoo mumbled into his textbook, shoulder leaning against Xiumin's slumped form, and Chanyeol laughed some more before standing up.

"Come on guys, wakey wakey, looks like our study session failed" Chanyeol called out to the group, making his way around their circular table and shaking everyone awake.

"Woah, what time is it?" Luhan said, eyes wide as he sat up straight in his chair, rubbing his eyes in confusion.

"Umm, around nine o'clock" Sehun answered, staring at his phone as if it'd started talking to him.
After hearing this, Tao flailed up from his position on the table, looking slightly deranged, and managed to whack Suho across the face in the process. 

"Nine?" he cried out, running his fingers through black, disheveled hair before turning to offer a small sorry to the boy holding his face beside him.

"Wait, is there anyone else even here?" Lay asked with a look of realization dawning on his face.
Kris stood up from the table, his tall frame towering over everyone sitting, and made his way, a bit wobbly, over to the library doors. Peeking his head out, all Kris could see were dark hallways, but no people. Turning back around, Kris simply shook his head at the eleven pairs of eyes watching him.

"Alas, dear friends, it appears we have all been abandoned in our precious academy on this day" Chen cried out dramatically, an arm slung over his eyes and a grin tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes before standing up, stretching his sore muscles before heading towards the door. "Well, let's go check it out, I don't know about you guys, but I don't really want to spend the night in our 'precious academy'" he said with air quotations, sticking his tongue out at Chen.

Kai jumped up, an excited glint in his eyes, before hauling a protesting Chen out of the library with him. "This could be so fun, we can play tag and hide-and-seek and capture the flag all night long!" he nearly shouted, practically skipping out into the hallway.

"I don't know if you missed this Jongin-ah, but we're looking to see if we can go home, not spend the night here" Xiumin called after him, shaking his head at the younger.

However, when the large group made their way to the front of the school, the doors were locked, impervious even to the combined pushing of all twelve boys (even Kai, although a bit reluctantly). Eventually they all stopped, slowly turning to look at each other with wide eyes.

Their silence, however, was broken by a rambunctious Kai, who squealed happily and clapped his hands together.
"We're spending the night in the highschool" he singsonged with a grin.

With one last glance at each others wide-eyed faces, the rest were quickly shaking with laughter, because, believe it or not, they were spending the night in their highschool.

And as much as some wanted to deny it, they were all excited.

After about five minutes of brainstorming what fun things they could do during their night in the highschool, different ideas were flying everywhere amongst the twelve boys, lying on the library floor.

Some members thought it would be smart to let their parents know what had happened to them, but that plan was cut short when they realized they had no service in the school.

Someone suggested mattress sliding down the stairs with the gym mats.

Others were lining up multiple games they could play.

But all ideas were halted when Lay sat up, eyes alight, and whispered "Vending machine". And then all twelve boys were sprinting for the cafeteria, sneakers squeaking against the hard floor. 

However, when the panting bunch arrived at the vending machine, they were met with a small problem.

The vending machine was off.

"Aww, come on" Suho said, leaning closer to the machine as if the power of his gaze would turn it on.

"Hold up, guys, I got this" Kris said, rolling up the sleeves of his blazer. As he grabbed the side of the machine, Chanyeol made a small noise of realization before walking over to grab the other side. The two then proceeded to shake the machine, attempting to dislodge the snacks inside. 

They managed to knock out about two snickers bars, three packs of skittles, and a bag of chips before they accidentally tipped the machine a bit too far, causing it to start falling forward.

Unfortunately, Baekhyun was standing directly in front of the machine.

Shouts echoed through the cafeteria before the sound of shattering glass soon filled the silence.

The scene in front of the twelve boys wasn't as bad as they'd feared; most of the boys formed a semicircle around the large, fallen machine, glass shards covered the floor, and Baekhyun's small form stood shaking in the protective circle of a taller boy's arms. 

"You ok there, Baek?" Tao asked, a small grin concealing the worry on his face.

"Yeah I'm good Tao-ah" Baekhyun said back, a small laugh escaping him. The rest of the members seemed to snap out of their shock as they chuckled nervously, Chanyeol and Kris making their way over to Baekhyun to see if he was ok too.

"Alright, well that was a nice near death experience for the night, let's go sit down" Chen suggested, and they made their way to the center of the cafeteria, sitting on the floor due to the lack of tables. After passing around the snacks for a while, the comfortable silence filled with small conversations amongst the twelve, Tao stood up.

"I'm gonna head to the bathroom, hopefully the lights are still on in there" he threw over his shoulder before making his way to the bathrooms.

In all reality, he wasn't really feeling good, and Tao wasn't sure if it was from the snacks they were eating or not. The snack reason didn't really make sense, though, because Tao had managed to put away an entire pizza by himself in the past.

Stumbling into the bathroom, Tao leaned against the sink, twisting the knob to cold and running his hands under the steady stream. Fortunately, the lights were on in the bathroom, but they were the backup lights, slightly dimmer than the normal ones. 

Tao glanced up at his reflection, studying the shadows on his face in the dimness of the bathroom. That was when he noticed something was off.

Tao stared at his reflection, trying to catch that little glitch he'd noticed before.

His reflection moved, his own head tilting slowly to the side while a small grin played on his mirrored face.

But Tao hadn't moved.

He blinked, shaking his head, and when he looked again, his reflection was normal, staring straight back at him. Tao splashed some cold water on his face before heading back out into the cafeteria.

'Definitely something I ate' he thought to himself.