2

Or So It Seems

"So, what are we gonna do now, besides try to crush each other under vending machines?" Sehun asked, head resting on Suho's stomach, and a variety of responses were yelled around. But before they decided on one, Chen stood up, hair disheveled.
"Hold on hold on guys, let me go the bathroom first before we start our games" he said quickly before sprinting for the bathrooms.
The rest of the group flopped back down on the cafeteria floor, occupied with various distractions.
Kai was practically bouncing in anticipation for the games, Sehun had his eyes closed as he rested back on Suho, who had his fingers tangled in the younger's rainbow hair. Tao was near Baekhyun, both of their heads together as they whispered about something. Kris was leaning against the wall near Chanyeol, who was fiddling with his phone and glancing at his watch, as if rechecking for service at the school. Meanwhile, Lay and Luhan were tossing a bean sack between each other, laughing as they dove around to kick it back up in the air. Kyungsoo and Xiumin were both sprawled out on the stomachs, a phone held between them as they played around, thumbs flying over the screen.
"Where is Chen?" Kai asked in exasperation, flopping over on his back, while the others simply shrugged.
"Who needs that long of a bathroom break?" Suho added, hands still running through Sehun's locks.
Almost as if in answer to their questions, the TVs that hung around the large room , bright lights casting an eerie glow to the surroundings.
"What the-" Chanyeol began, but was quickly cut off as the screen turned a red color and neat black print began typing its way across the screen.
'Welcome, competitors, to the first round' the text spelled out.
'We are going to play a game' it continued, and Baekhyun spoke up in awe, his face glowing red from the screens.
"That is freakin' amazing, how did Chen even gain control of that?" he nearly whispered as they all stood up, staring at the screens.
"Yeah right, bathroom break, that liar" Kris said with a grin spreading across his face.
The text disappeared, a new message taking its place across the red screen.
'The first round has been started by one of your own' it read, and the eleven boys glanced at each other.
A picture of a Chen flashed onto the screen, smiling cockily, and Kai laughed, clapping his hands together in approval.
"Alright, Chen, nice one. You're a computer mastermind, now come back so we can start" Luhan called out to the screens, eyes full of admiration for Chen's doings.
However, the screens simply returned to their red background as more black letters scrawled out another message.
'Please proceed to the front office' the black letters spelled out before falling off the screen one by one, only to be replaced by another message, shorter than the others so far.
'Let the Game begin' the print seemed to flow across the screen, black letters glimmering against the red. All together, the TVs quickly shut off, a silence filling the significantly dimmer room.
"Ok, if ChenChen wants to play, let's play" Xiumin broke the silence with a smirk, clapping his hands together. The others all laughed and set off for the front office, Lay leading the way with an arm slung around Luhan's neck. Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Tao walked directly behind them, chattering excitedly about the 'Game' Chen had thought of, knowing how mischievous their friend could be. However, when Baekhyun literally face planted against Lay's back, they all faltered, Chanyeol and Tao craning around Lay and Luhan's frozen forms to look ahead of them.
They'd reached the front office, as their directions had instructed, but as they peered inside the glass windows making up most of the walls of the room, they noticed what had caused Lay and Luhan to stop.
Chen.
Unlike the happy, smiling Chen that had flashed across the screens in the cafeteria, the real Chen was positioned in the center of the room, slumped in one of the metal chairs facing the glass windows. A single fluorescent light illuminated his lone figure.
He was tied.
Literally tied, as in arms bound behind his back and each leg bound to a separate chair leg. As he raised his head from its lowered position, the members towards the front of the group could see the duct tape covering Chen's mouth.
"Hey, why'd everyone stop?" Kai's voice came from the back of the group, and Kris quickly turned around to stop Kai from looking into the office. 
"I don't understand, is this supposed to be a game?" Chanyeol said slowly, glancing between Chen and the rest of the group, who all looked extremely confused. Sounds of a slight scuffle could be heard from the back and then Kai burst through to the front, a triumphant look on his face.
"Haha! And let the gam-Chen?" his shout faded into a soft voice, the smile on his face quickly turning to a look of confusion.
Chen looked up at Kai, a sense of sadness present in his dark eyes, before his gaze started moving back and forth across the window, as if watching something from the other side.
Kai reached out and tried opening the office door, but it didn't budge. 
"What is this? Why is he in there?" Kai turned to the rest of the group, voice rising in concern.
Before anyone could say anything, however, the intercom crackled, projecting a voice over the speakers.
"Welcome, competitors, to the first round" it began, voice monotone and lifeless.
"As was said before, Chen is our first competitor for round one" it continued, the eyes of all eleven boys snapping from the intercom back to the boy in the room.
"We are going to play a game" the monotone voice seemed to sound amused, and Suho spoke out.
"What is this? Is this a prank, Chen?" he said loudly, stepping up beside Kai to peer into the office.
Chen glanced away from the windows to look at Suho.
Slowly, he shook his head.
Gaze returning to the window, Chen's eyes widened, and he looked back at Suho, trying to shout something from behind the duct tape.
The crackling of the intercom made everyone jump again, the voice invading their minds as they all continued to stare at Chen.
"Guess correctly, and the competitor continues. Incorrectly, and the competitor is terminated" it said, and shouts of protest were heard from the group.
"Since you are in the first round, multiple chances may be given" the voice continued amidst the shouts from the group.
Chen's eyes were still locked on Suho, words muffled behind duct tape. His chest was starting to rise and fall rapidly, tears building up in his eyes before spilling over and running down his face. 
At this point, any trace of thought that this was a prank vanished.
The boys on the other side started shouting, some attacking the locked door and others slamming their fists against the window. 
That was, until a small portion of the light shining on Chen flickered out.
The boys stopped, breathing hard, as Chen was cast into more shadow.
"Question: what destination was Chen headed for before our games began?" the intercom emitted, and Kai scoffed.
"The bathroom" he said, eyes still trained on Chen.
Another portion of the light flickered out, making it seem as if Chen was fading into the darkness.
By this point, Kai was crying too, silent tears streaking down his grim face.
"Incorrect, guess again" the intercom directed to the shocked boys outside the office.
"The front doors" Kris said slowly, as the rest of the group held their breath.
A second portion of the light illuminating Chen flickered out as well, and Kai let out a small sob.
Chen was still trying to say something to them, eyes trained on Suho, but the duct tape was relentless. Suddenly Lay turned around and went sprinting back towards the cafeteria,  the others too distracted to notice.
"How are we supposed to know? He said he was going to the bathroom!" Kyungsoo shouted in frustration, hair disheveled due to his incessant pulling. 
The others nodded in agreement, but no one attempted to open the door again, fearing Chen's 'termination'.
Kai was still near the windows, palms pressed against the glass as he stared through at Chen. 
"We're not going to guess anymore, just stop this twisted game!" Luhan shouted out, hands balled into fists.
The only response they received was silence.
"Come on, guys, we can figure some other way to get through" Sehun added, glaring up at the intercom, and they all nodded.
What they missed, however, was the look of panic on Chen's face before the speakers let out a final message.
"First round: failed"
The last of the light flickered out, plunging the office, along with Chen, into complete darkness.
Kai screamed, bringing his fists down on the glass, right as Lay came running back, one of the cafeteria chairs in his arms.
"No" Lay breathed out, looking into the dark room as he came to a stop.
Kai turned away from the window, face a complete picture of agony, before hoisting up the chair and turning back to the window.
Tao tried to stop Kai before he brought the chair down, but before he'd even stepped forward, the shorter boy collapsed, chair clattering on the floor next to him.
Chanyeol dropped to his knees, hands in Kai's shirt as he attempted to wake him.
"He's still breathing" Chanyeol called out, voice shaky. 
No one else moved, too shocked at the sudden change of events to comprehend the situation.
"What happened to Chen?" Sehun asked, eyes wide with fear.
A flash of red appeared on the office windows as letters swept over the blackness. 
'The Game has been brought down to eleven competitors. Competitor number one has been terminated. 
There are no rules to the Game, just competition. 
Failure to compete will result in termination. 
A challenge shall be presented momentarily.'
The boys shook their heads. 
"This isn't right, there's no projector" Xiumin whispered, staring at the red words that they were all seeing. He was right, the words were simply spreading across the window, prominent against the darkness of the room. But there was no screen, no technology, no projector.
And yet they could all see it.
"Who is doing this? Why are they doing this?" Suho asked to no one specifically, an arm wrapped protectively around Sehun's shoulders.
"Look" Lay murmured, pointing at the window where more red words were appearing.
'Challenge: choose one amongst you to race to a location in the school. They will be racing solely against time, in an attempt to 'get the blood pumping'. Their results may earn another challenge, or a termination. Choose wisely.' 
Before anyone could speak, another message joined the challenge on the window, almost as an afterthought.
'And in reply to your previous question, the Game serves for one purpose.
To have fun.'

 

 

 

Yaay chapter 2!! Umm, yeah, just thought I should add a little note here...if anyone has a preference between the spacing in the first chapter verses this kind of spacing just let me know (I know I know kinda weird but I was just thinking about it;)) Also, I just now thought of this but in this story they're all seniors in their highschool, but keep the youngest to oldest order the same (Sehun: youngest ...  Xiumin: oldest) Yup that's about it, hope everyone enjoys!! Let me know if there's any confusion and feel free to comment!!;)

~LateNightBubbleTea