16

Or So It Seems

Lying Lay down gently on the floor, Chanyeol tried to ignore the anger rising inside of him.

Blowing up at the 'Game' wouldn't help anyone now.

So Chanyeol simply remained crouched next to Lay's limp form, head bent with his long fingers interlaced through his amber colored hair, clenched just a bit too hard. 

The two were both silent for a couple moments, not even their own breathing audible in the dark hallway.

Chanyeol raised his gaze to Baekhyun's, both of their expressions blank.

"We're the only ones left, Hyung" Chanyeol said softly while Baekhyun slowly nodded his head.

"Is there any way to even win this 'Game'?" Baekhyun questioned hopelessly, before he frowned.

"I could have sworn Lay looked like he was going to tell me something before-well, you know" Baekhyun said, mumbling towards the end.

"Something happened after he went after Luhan, that's what I'm guessing" Chanyeol added, rubbing his hands over his face.

"We could look around for Luhan to see what Lay-" Baekhyun started, but the familiar crackling of the intercom interrupted him.

"Congratulations, competitors, for making it this far in the Game" Chen's voice spoke out.

"Unfortunately, we can't have you two doing nothing, now can we?" Kyungsoo's voice followed, pretend innocence lacing his words.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun glanced at each other, eyebrows raised in anticipation of whatever the 'Game' had in store for them.

"Your challenge will be to make your way through the school, you may go anywhere, in an attempt to figure out who is behind all of this. One of you came close, but unfortunately he was terminated" Luhan's voice sounded over the speakers, and the two boys frowned in confusion.

"Now remember, no moving the other competitors" Sehun's voice instructed softly, Kris' soon following.

"And you two must complete this challenge separately". 

"Wait, what's the point of this challenge? How do we win?" Chanyeol shouted at the speakers, silence the only response he received, as if the 'Game' was telling him that he'd figure that out eventually. 

"You may begin the challenge" Tao's voice said, as if it were an option the two could refuse.

Turning to look at each other, both Chanyeol and Baekhyun suddenly pressed a hand to their chests as a slight tightening feeling spread across their ribcage. 

"Separately" Baekhyun gasped out, repeating their previous instructions as he started to back away from Chanyeol.

Chanyeol looked back at Baekhyun with a pained expression showing how much he didn't want to split up, but as Baekhyun disappeared around the corner of the hallway and out of sight, the tightening in his chest lightened. 

Hoping Baekhyun would be alright, Chanyeol turned and headed the opposite direction, their previous instructions running through his mind as he made his way deeper into the school.

 

Baekhyun let out a breath of relief when the tightening in his chest stopped as he distanced himself from Chanyeol. 

'Who's behind this? Who's behind this?' Baekhyun thought rapidly, hoping he could figure this out quickly so he could get himself and the others out of this twisted setup.

He walked through the dim halls, the colorful school murals on the walls covered in shadows. Passing by the library doors, Baekhyun decided to go by the others who'd been terminated to see if anything clicked. Walking quietly into the dim room, Baekhyun saw the unconscious bodies of their youngest friends still sprawled across the floor, and his heart clenched when he saw Tao's lanky, vulnerable form.

Something nagged in the back of Baekhyun's mind, something that had occurred towards the beginning of the night, but he couldn't put a finger on it. Leaning briefly against the table situated in the center of the library, the towering shadows of the bookshelves were the only other company Baekhyun had besides his unconscious friends.

Peering down a dim aisle, Baekhyun half expected to see another unknown figure staring back at him through the shadows. However, the only thing Baekhyun spotted was the edges of books peeking out from the shelves, no figure in sight. Unable to find any other information from the library, Baekhyun continued back into the hallways.

He could see a red word splashed across the wall up ahead of him, and as Baekhyun drew closer he could read it.

'They' 

Baekhyun nearly shouted in frustration, because that simple word was of absolutely no value to him at the moment. That was before he notices the red arrows flowing across the floor in front of him, as if leading him somewhere.

Not knowing what else to do, Baekhyun followed them.
 

 

 

Here we goooo...and just because I can right now...I'll update another chapter;)