6

Or So It Seems

After Kris had left, the other six continued towards the stairwell. Kyungsoo felt more hopeful after Kris' success against the 'Game', and he jogged to catch up with the other five guys.

"Do you guys think we should split up to go check on the others, or stick together?" Kyungsoo asked, seeing the drop from the beginning of the stairs come into view not too far ahead of them. The other guys didn't respond, didn't make any noise, really, just continued walking. Kyungsoo frowned and repeated his question, louder this time. Still, no response from anyone. They'd reached the top of the stairs, looking down into the darkness that enveloped the lower steps, and Kyungsoo nearly ran into Xiumin's back when they all stopped suddenly.

"Hello? Can someone answer me?!" Kyungsoo said in frustration, why were they so quiet all of a sudden? All at once, the boys around Kyungsoo turned to face him, and he realized they formed a semicircle with him in the center. Kyungsoo felt his heart clench when he looked at their faces, especially their eyes. Their gazes were dead, no trace of hope or determination or even worry in them.

"What's going on, guys?" Kyungsoo said nervously, looking around at Lay, Baekhyun, Luhan, Chanyeol, and finally Xiumin.

Silence.

Kyungsoo felt a sense of dread settle in his stomach and an urge to scream make its way up the back of his throat.

"Guys please" Kyungsoo choked out, taking a step back, but with a glance behind him he realized that Chanyeol and Luhan had completed the circle, blocking him off.

He was trapped.

Kyungsoo relaxed ever so slightly when he looked back at Xiumin, who was now smiling. But then his head tilted to the side, smile turning into an unusual grin, and Kyungsoo felt a cold sensation sweep over the back of his neck.

"The 'Game' must go on, Kyungsoo, and you're a competitor just like the rest of us," Xiumin said, the grin still present on his face. "Unfortunately, we can't all win" he finished with a shrug, taking a step closer.

"No-" Kyungsoo whispered, Xiumin's lifeless eyes trained on him as he advanced. Kyungsoo turned, hoping to be able to run away, but was rebounded by Luhan and Chanyeol's still figures. He felt something hit his legs and he went down, hitting hard. Suddenly Xiumin's face hovered over his, and a fake pout crossed his features.

"Sorry, Kyunggie" he whispered, and then Kyungsoo felt a pressure on his neck, blocking off his air. Xiumin was choking him, but Kyungsoo couldn't feel his hands around his throat as he gasped for air.

"Xiumin-please" Kyungsoo choked out, hands pressing uselessly against the other's chest. But Xiumin's face remained blank, and the others simply stared down at them. Kyungsoo heard someone shout from a distance, but he couldn't focus on that when his vision started blurring. Bringing his knees up to his chest, Kyungsoo scraped together the last of his depleting energy to kick up at Xiumin, knocking the other off of him. But as his vision cleared, Kyungsoo gasping on the ground for air, the whole scene changed.

The other four who'd previously been watching Xiumin strangle Kyungsoo were shouting, Chanyeol and Lay rushing down the steps while Baekhyun stood at the top, holding his head in his hands. Luhan was standing behind Kyungsoo, both arms crossed over the shorter boy's chest as if he was restraining him.

"Calm down Kyungsoo, come on, talk to me!" Luhan was saying loudly in his ear.

"He-he was attacking me--I couldn't-breathe!" Kyungsoo gasped out, and Luhan tensed.

"No one was attacking you, Kyungsoo" Luhan said softly, and Kyungsoo felt his blood go cold. Kyungsoo's mind was spinning, partially from his lack of air coupled with Luhan's words and partially due to his sudden realization.

He was standing.

He wracked his mind, trying to remember when he'd stood up after he'd escaped from Xiumin.

Xiumin.

Kyungsoo broke out of Luhan's arms, rushing to the edge of the steps where Baekhyun still stood. He felt faint when he looked down into the dim stairwell. Chanyeol and Lay were kneeling next to an unconscious figure lying on the ground. One of the still figure's legs was bent at an awkward angle, probably broken. Kyungsoo felt sick as he slowly walked down the steps, nearing the figure on the floor. He already knew who it was, he just didn't want to believe it. But reality slammed into him when he reached Xiumin's limp body, bringing him to his knees as tears filled his eyes. Chanyeol and Lay were silent, watching Kyungsoo closely as if they thought he would make a sudden move, and Kyungsoo would have questioned it if he wasn't so distraught.

"What happened?" Kyungsoo whispered, reaching out to touch Xiumin's face. Lay and Chanyeol just glanced at each other but remained silent. Kyungsoo ignored it, feeling a small sob climb up inside him. How had this happened? Everything had seemed so much better.

"Xiumin please," Kyungsoo said softly to the unconscious boy, as if the other were sleeping.

But Xiumin's eyes remained closed.

Kyungsoo tried to quell the mixed emotions surging within him; confusion, frustration, panic, and pain from the never-ending loss of his friends.

"Wake up" Kyungsoo instructed with a quavering voice, putting a hand on Xiumin's face and the other on his chest. A single tear darkened the fabric of Xiumin's shirt as it fell from the younger's face.

"Wake up, Xiumin" Kyungsoo sobbed, voice rising in frustration. Feeling himself tense like a stretched coil about to snap, Kyungsoo balled his fists in Xiumin's shirt as his tears fell faster. Too many emotions were running through him, and all of the previous incidents where'd he'd seen his friends unconscious and vulnerable on the ground kept replaying in his mind.

Finally, Kyungsoo broke.

"Please!" Kyungsoo's scream was muffled against Xiumin's chest as he let his head drop, hands falling still against the other boy's chest.

"Please leave competitor six in his location" Xiumin's voice spoke over the speakers, and Kyungsoo tensed protectively over the unconscious boy.

"No, I can't leave you, Xiumin. Don't worry, I won't leave you" Kyungsoo muttered feverishly, holding on tighter to the unconscious boy. Chanyeol and Lay were trying to talk to Kyungsoo, but he couldn't focus on their words as they echoed vaguely behind him.

Suddenly red words spread across the floor of the stairwell in front of Kyungsoo, filling his vision.

'The rules must be obeyed, competitor, or consequences will follow' the words stated, and then Xiumin's chest began to rise and fall faster under Kyungsoo's hands, his breaths coming in ragged little puffs. The younger boy released Xiumin as if he'd been burnt, eyes widening in horror until Xiumin's breathing returned to normal.

"Very good, competitors" Xiumin's voice once again played over the speakers, the sound opening the fresh wound in Kyungsoo's heart. Standing up from Xiumin, Kyungsoo turned towards Lay and Chanyeol, their own faces etched with sadness.

"Someone tell me, what happened? I need to know" Kyungsoo said weakly, and Lay took a deep breath.

His answer made Kyungsoo wish he'd never asked.

"You pushed him, Kyungsoo. You pushed him from behind, over the edge"

 

 

Boom. Hehehe sorry to all you Kai Sehun Tao and now Xiumin lovers...but the Game must go on;) And either I at using this website or something's changed...cuz I can't. Change. The. Font. *growls in frustration* But anyways, here we go and since I was feeling like these chaps are pretty short (who am I kidding they're supa short) I'm doin a double update:) Yay!!

~LateNightBubbleTea