22

Or So It Seems

Kai woke with a start, the springs in their mattress squeaking slightly. He couldn't see anything in the pitch black of their hotel room, but the little red numbers glowing from the alarm clock across the room informed him that it was currently 3:15 in the morning. Kai groaned, rolling back over to snuggle against Chen, but was only met with a face-full of springy mattress instead. Flailing his arms around, Kai crawled around on their noisy little bed, fully aware that he could accidentally whack Chen in the process but proceeding anyway. 

But the bed was empty. 

"Chen?" Kai whispered in the darkness, but no response came. 

Stumbling off of the pull-out bed and towards the other one, Kai flopped onto the mattress, hoping to at least land on top of either Tao or Baekhyun. 

But that bed was empty as well. 

"Ok, I get it. Party without Kai" Kai mumbled to himself, heading towards the door that led to the hallway. Stepping out into the lit hallway, Kai was just headed towards one of the other rooms when the door opened. 

Kai froze, not really sure why though, before Lay's disheveled head peeked out into the hallway.

"Oh hey, have you seen Luhan, Kris, or Chanyeol?" Lay mumbled sleepily, eyes half open. 

"No, and everyone in my room is gone too" Kai replied, stepping closer to Lay.

Lay's eyes became more aware as he looked from side to side. 

"I bet they're playing a prank on us" he said suspiciously before walking over to the third room and opening the door. 

The sounds of snores met both Lay and Kai's ears from inside the dark room and Lay's eyes narrowed. 

"Exactly, they left us to make up some sort of prank" he repeated, and Kai stifled a laugh at his hyung; hunched over in his pajamas with his sleepy eyes narrowed like a predator stalking his prey. 

"Ok, well let's go find them" Kai suggested, looping his arm through Lay's and heading down the hallway. The two made their way down into the empty lobby area, their socked feet sliding around on the tile floor. 

"Let's try the food area" Lay whispered, pulling Kai with him into the nearby room.

But there was no one in there either, just empty tables waiting for breakfast time. The two both sighed before slipping quietly back out in the lobby. 

"Oh, I have an idea! You go check down that way near the bathrooms and I'll go check the pool!" Kai whispered, detaching himself from Lay and sliding down the hall.

"Hey! We're not supposed to split up!" Lay squeaked after Kai's receding form, but sighed when the other just laughed and continued. 

Kai jiggled the knob on the door that led out to the pools, already smelling the pungent chlorine scent that wafted through the air. But the door was locked, and Kai mentally face-palmed himself when he remembered that it was three in the morning and that he probably wasn't even supposed to be roaming around. Turning around, Kai made his way back up the dark hallway, heading back towards the lobby. Rounding the corner, Kai didn't notice the figure standing there before he walked right into him, looking up in surprise. 

"Oh, hey there Hy-" he started, quickly cut off. 

Kai never finished his sentence before darkness enveloped him.

 



Lay mumbled under his breath as he walked out of the bathrooms. 

"Nobody in there, Kai, now what are we going to do? Oh wait, I can't ask you that because we split up!" Lay sputtered indignantly, walking back into the lobby. 

"Kai?" Lay whispered down the hallway that led to the pool area, but no one responded to him. Lay felt a shiver run up his back as he walked softly down the hallway Kai had disappeared into, returning back to the lobby when he'd found no one. 

"He probably left me and went back upstairs" Lay muttered to himself, walking faster towards the elevators. 

Once he'd arrived back on their floor, Lay bolted out of the elevator, rounding the corner quickly.

And promptly ran straight into someone. 

"Oof" they both said as they fell to the ground, and Lay opened an eye to see Suho grinning at him. 

"Why are you up, Hyung?" Lay whispered, sitting up from the floor.

"I was just going to check on everyone when I heard a noise, so I came down this way" Suho said.

"Yeah, everyone was gone in my room, so Kai and I went downstairs to find them. But no one was down there and then Kai left me, so I came back up" Lay said, frowning about Kai leaving him. 

"Hmm, that's weird, are you sure everyone was gone?" Suho questioned quietly.

"Well, I know everyone in my room was gone, I'm not sure if Kai really checked his room though" Lay shrugged his shoulders, and Suho nodded.

"Alright, then, well let's check Kai's room" Suho suggested, some unknown expression crossing his face before Lay could tell what it was.

The two headed down the hallway until they reached Kai's room, and then Lay walked into the darkness first, Suho quickly following behind. 

Lay didn't notice the small click of the door as it locked. 

He reached out for the light switch, but when he couldn't find it he simply shrugged and continued into the room. 

"Suho?" Lay whispered at the silhouette still standing near the door. 

"You said no one was in your room, Lay" Suho said quietly, his face obscured by the darkness.

"Yeah, everyone was gone. Do you know where the light switch is?" Lay replied, not paying much attention to the other.

"Everyone's still in there, Lay, except you. And I already know this room's empty" Suho continued, ignoring Lay's question. 

But Suho missed Lay's grin in the darkness.

There was only silence in the room as Suho finally reached a hand out to search for the light switch. His fingers had just grazed the switch, however, when he was suddenly shoved against the wall. 

"Now why do you guys have to be such light sleepers, Hyung?" Lay's breath ghosted across Suho's ear and his breath hitched in his throat. 

"First Kai, now you" Lay whispered, sighing softly as Suho tried to breathe. 

"What's going on, Lay?" Suho asked, his heart pounding in his chest, and Lay chuckled. 

"Well, I can't tell you that, Hyung, it'll take away the fun" he growled into Suho's ear, just as the other managed to flip the switch. 

Suho caught a glimpse of Lay's dark eyes along with a twisted grin stretching across his face before the other moved quickly.

It was the last thing Suho saw.

 

 

 

 

 

Dun dun duuuun;) I told you guys it wasn't over hehehe...

~LateNightBubbleTea