8

Or So It Seems

Kyungsoo was running. He was running away from his own actions, guilt crashing over him and Lay's words repeating in his head.

'You pushed him, Kyungsoo" 

He shook his head, but then the hallways around him changed, red words mocking him from the walls. He wasn't even really sure where he was, the hallways were too dark anyways. Kyungsoo slowed, panting from his running. And then he froze when he read the words.

'You pushed him, Kyungsoo'

It spread over the walls, the ceiling, the floor, and Kyungsoo's breathing came harder as he held his head in his hands. 

'Make it stop, make it stop. Make. It. Stop.' Kyungsoo cried in his mind, squeezing his eyes shut. But the words filled his shut eyelids, swirling around in the darkness until Kyungsoo finally fell to his knees, arms wrapped protectively around his head.

Suddenly it all stopped, darkness erasing the harsh, red words, and all Kyungsoo was aware of was his thundering pulse and haggard breathing. Opening his eyes slowly, Kyungsoo took in the new scenery in confusion. The lighting was brighter, first off, but there was an overwhelming sense of familiarity about the area.

Then it clicked. 

He was in Xiumin's room. 

And he was lying down. Kyungsoo stood up, or tried to stand, tripping over the soft blankets draped over him. He felt even more confused when he looked at himself. Instead of his school uniform, he was wearing...pajamas? Yes, his own favorite red and green striped pajama set, meant for Christmas time but worn by Kyungsoo alot more often. Xiumin had bought it for him, proudly showing his own matching set, and the two had made it a tradition to always wear them during their sleepovers.

Kyungsoo's pajama shirt was sticking to his damp skin, and he let out a deep breath before looking around him. He was alone in Xiumin's room, another pillow laid out next to his and fresh indents marking the comforters at his side.

"Xiumin" Kyungsoo whispered, tossing aside the blankets before running out of the room, socked feet sliding on the floor. From all of their previous sleepovers, Kyungsoo knew that Xiumin had a habit of waking before him and sneaking off to the kitchen to make breakfast.

Which brought Kyungsoo skidding into the kitchen, heart pounding in his chest.

Sure enough, there stood Xiumin, clad in his matching pajamas with his back turned to Kyungsoo, humming softly as he mixed something. Kyungsoo felt tears prick at his eyes as he walked up behind Xiumin and wrapped his arms around the other's waist. Xiumin let out a small "Oh" of surprise before turning around to face Kyungsoo, arms slowly coming up to hug Kyungsoo in return.

"Umm, good morning?" Xiumin said with a chuckle, but Kyungsoo just pressed his face into the crook of the other's neck and tightened his arms. Xiumin went still when he felt something wet fall against his skin, and he pulled Kyungsoo away to look at him.

"Hey, hey Kyunggie, what's wrong? Are you crying?" Xiumin said in surprise, but Kyungsoo just shook his head and chuckled, wiping his face.

"Sorry, I just had the worst nightmare ever" Kyungsoo said, relief flooding through him.Releasing Xiumin, he flopped into one of the chairs near the counter, rubbing his face with his hands. Xiumin watched him in amusement, beckoning for Kyungsoo to continue.

"Ugh, it was the worst," Kyungsoo began, "We were all stuck in our school overnight, and we thought it would be fun, but then some psycho started this 'Game' where we were all competitors. And then," Kyungsoo continued, gesturing with his hands for emphasis, "we all started getting 'terminated' one by one"  Xiumin's eyes widened and he paused in his mixing.

"Geez, what creepy nightmares do you have?" he said with a chuckle.

"But it got worse, Min, there was this part where I thought you were strangling me, so I shoved you off, but when I came to, everything was different. You were passed out at the bottom of the steps, and when I asked everyone what'd happened, they  said-"

Kyungsoo was cut off, however, when Xiumin came around the counter to stand in front of the other.

"You pushed me" Xiumin said softly, looking down into Kyungsoo's surprised face.

"Wow, well that was a good guess, how did you know-" Kyungsoo started, but he was cut off again when Xiumin shook his head and put a hand on the back of Kyungsoo's neck.

"Because you did, Kyungsoo" he said softly, a hurt expression crossing his face.

"What?" Kyungsoo whispered, his heart giving a heavy thud in his chest.

"You pushed me, Kyungsoo, you pushed me off the stairs" Xiumin repeated, his expression darkening as his hand slid off of Kyungsoo's neck to fist in the material of his pajama shirt. Kyungsoo's blood ran cold and he clutched onto Xiumin's hand that was fisted in his shirt.

"No, Xiumin, what's going on?" Kyungsoo whispered, but then the scene around them changed. Wind whipped at Kyungsoo's hair and clothes, biting into his skin, and Kyungsoo could see tall dark buildings disappearing into the dark sky above them. The sounds of car horns surrounded him, and when he looked down his stomach dropped. They were on the roof of some tall building, standing near the edge.

And the only thing keeping Kyungsoo from falling was Xiumin's hand, fisted in his shirt.

Kyungsoo grasped at Xiumin's wrist tighter, his knuckles turning white. He looked up into Xiumin's shadowed face, the other's eyes completely black as he stood over Kyungsoo.

"Xiumin, please, I'm sorry. It wasn't me, it was the 'Game'!" Kyungsoo gasped out, but Xiumin's grip on him was relentless.

Kyungsoo felt shivers run up his back when he glanced over his shoulder at the darkness below them, his hair whipping into his eyes. They were at least ten stories up, and Kyungsoo could feel his legs trembling, the heels of his shoes touching the edge of the rooftop. 

"This is a dream, it's not real, this is a dream" Kyungsoo muttered to himself, and he heard Xiumin chuckle above him.

"This may not be real, Kyunggie, but you did push me. And now I'm just hear to return the favor" Xiumin said, and the last thing Kyungsoo saw was the white of the other's grin before the grip on his shirt disappeared and Kyungsoo tipped over the edge.