14

Or So It Seems

Slowing to a walk, Luhan peered through the small window on the door to the studio, only seeing darkness within. The door in front of him suddenly made a clicking noise as it unlocked, and Luhan took that as a sign to enter the room. The door swung shut behind Luhan, clicking again as the door locked itself.

 Luhan tried to quell the nervousness making his pulse accelerate as he walked further into the dark room. A single light flickered on above him, and Luhan froze when he saw multiple figures standing around him. But then he let out a small chuckle as he realized it was simply his reflections on the mirrored walls around him. 

"Ok, I came. What challenge do I have to do?" Luhan called out to the walls, holding his arms out to his sides as if welcoming the challenge.

Red words spread across the mirror in front of him and Luhan felt the adrenaline rush through his body.

'You will receive one question concerning the 'Game', and you will have only one chance to answer. Answering correctly will grant you the ability to leave with the new information, while answering incorrectly will result in some consequence" 

Luhan almost felt like he was reading the instructions on an exam as his eyes scanned the message. He bounced on the balls of his feet, clapping his hands together and replying to the red words. 

"Ok, give me the question" Luhan called out, nervousness and determination bubbling in his stomach. 

What appeared on the mirrors, however, made Luhan falter.

'Is the person behind the 'Game':
a) Apart from you
b) Amongst you' 

Luhan's brow furrowed in confusion as he took in the question.

'Amongst our group? Of course not, everyone has been together since the beginning' Luhan thought quickly in his mind, rereading the question over and over again. 

'Mark your answer, competitor' the red words instructed, and Luhan walked over to grab one of the dry erase markers from the cup on the single table in the room. Walking confidently up to the board, Luhan started writing. Suddenly he felt dizzy, swaying on his feet until he closed his eyes and reached out to steady himself against the mirror. The dizziness subsided and Luhan opened his eyes.

He gasped.

Because all over the mirror in front of him were words scrawled in his own handwriting, all reading the same thing.

'a) Apart from you
b) Amongst you'

Over and over again, the two lines covered the mirror in front of Luhan, and with a start he noticed the black smudges from the marker on his hand. 

'You still need to choose an answer, competitor' the red words spelled out in front of Luhan as he stared at himself in the word-covered mirror.

Luhan's own dark eyes stared back at him, the confusion, sadness, and determination sketched across his features.

Shaking his head as if to clear his thoughts, Luhan raised his hand confidently to the mirror, circling the first option with emphasis.

Nothing happened.

No more red words, no voice over the intercom.

Nothing to indicate that he was right.

Luhan's pulse quickened and he rose his hand to the mirror again, circling the first option over and over again, harder each time until the 'a' was just a black blur in front of him.

"Unfortunately," Luhan's own voice began over the speakers.

"No" Luhan breathed, staring at the words in front of him.

"Your guess is incorrect" the voice continued, sounding smug.

Luhan stood frozen in the room, momentarily forgetting to breathe at the sudden message. But the voice continued.

"And we all know the consequence for not winning the challenge"

But Luhan only had one thought running across his mind.

The person behind the Game was one of them.

It was the last thing Luhan thought before his vision started blurring around the edges.