5

Or So It Seems
Upon reentering the library, the boys slumped in the chairs of their old table, trying to avoid looking at the two cold, empty chairs where their friends had once sat. Kai leaned against Chanyeol, a distant look in his eyes, while Sehun sat near Lay, silent tears slipping out of his eyes despite the angry look on his face. The others were murmuring amongst each other, throwing out ideas that no one was sure would work. Their murmuring came to an abrupt end, however, when the familiar crackle of the intercom filled the air. Several jumped out of their chairs, staring up at the intercom with balled fists at their sides. 
"Although the first two competitors have been fun," the message began, but this time it was different, slightly familiar. A murmur swept through the group as their brows furrowed in confusion. 
"I feel as though the Game needs something" the voice continued, and a collective gasp was heard through the room as the pieces clicked into place.
It was their own voices.
The first part of the message had been Suho's voice, and then Chen's unmistakeable tone had rung through in the second part.
"Let's call it," now Kai's voice rang through the speakers, and said boy looked up incredulously at the source.
"A jump start" Sehun's voice finished the message, before the speakers shut off. 
"What does it mea-" Sehun started, quickly cut off as he collapsed. Lay, being closest to him, caught the boy before he hit the table, and shouts were heard around the room. Lay's eyes were wide as he lowered the younger to the ground, Xiumin supporting his other side. 
Suddenly Kai dropped as well, Chanyeol grabbing the now limp boy as he slumped over. 
"What is this, they weren't even doing anything!" Kris shouted, slamming his fists against the table. Suddenly the intercom came to life again, and Tao's lilting tone came through the speakers.
"Sorry, one more competitor is needed" 
The speakers turned off as the boys held their breath. 
But no one dropped.
Suddenly the pattern clicked in Tao's mind. 
"Chen and Suho spoke, they're out, Kai and Sehun spoke and are out now, too. So-" before he could finish his thought, Tao's eyes rolled back as he fell to the ground. Baekhyun was quickly over him, hands cupping his face as he tried to revive the younger. But it was no use, they all knew that.
The intercom came on once again, switching from voice to voice as it spoke.
"Leave competitors three, four, and five in their places. Another challenge awaits the remaining players.
Please proceed to the upstairs lab." 
The remaining seven boys didn't move, didn't speak, only the sounds of Baekhyun's quiet crying filling the air. Until Baekhyun straightened up, wiped his tears away, and headed out of the door. 
"Baekhyun stop!" Xiumin shouted, rushing after the younger along with the rest of the group. But Baekhyun just walked faster down the corridor, taking the stairs two at a time. Xiumin caught up to him on the stairs, spinning him around and grabbing his shoulders. Baekhyun just stared blankly back at him, cheeks wet from his tears. Xiumin's expression was concerned but determined as he stared hard at the younger boy. 
"If we're going to do this, we need to stick together" Xiumin said quietly but firmly, before releasing Baekhyun and continuing up the stairs.
The science wing was almost pitch black, the darkness barely held back with the lights from the boys' phones. Ahead they could see some light creeping out from under a closed door, and they headed that way.
Entering the class room, they were met with the sight of various beakers set out along the lab tables. The liquid inside varied from deep red to completely clear to an almost black shade.
"Choose a contestant for the challenge" Luhan's voice came out over the speakers, and the frozen boys snapped from their trance.
Kris stepped forward silently, quieting the others' protests, including Chanyeol's quick "No", with a hard look. He looked haggard in the face, as if the loss of his friends took a little out of him each time, but determined nonetheless.
"Very good, now choose a beaker" Kris' own voice instructed him, and Kris knew that not doing so would end his part in this 'Game'. So he stepped forward and gently picked up the beaker containing the clear liquid, holding it cautiously.
The others held their breath, ready to act if something happened.
"Now's the fun part, your challenge.
Choose another competitor to drink from the beaker you have chosen." Chanyeol's deep tone instructed slowly, and Kris' grip on the beaker tightened slightly. Looking at the faces of his remaining friends, Kris knew some consequence would come from his actions, but he didn't care. 
So he threw the beaker.
Swinging his arm with such force that it sent the beaker sailing across the room, it shattered against the white board, liquid spraying everywhere. Kris braced himself to drop just like the others, closing his eyes.
But nothing happened.
Opening his eyes, Kris saw the others watching him with fearful expressions, and he chuckled for the first time since this 'Game' had started.
"I'm not out" Kris said in surprise, and the others slowly smiled. Maybe there was some way to get past this 'Game'. 
Chanyeol strode over and hugged Kris around the waist, soon joined by the others with new hope in mind. Kris groaned a little under the combined weight of his remaining friends, but smiled nonetheless.
"Come on, maybe we can go check on the others" Kris suggested, growing bolder, and the others quickly released him and started for the door. Stepping out into the hall, Chanyeol led the way with his phone held over his head. As they neared the steps, however, Kris suddenly had an idea. 
"Hey, you guys continue that way, I'm gonna head a different direction to see if I can get to the others" he said quickly, but Chanyeol grabbed onto his arm.
"We have to stay together" he said, a panicked expression crossing onto his usually happy face.
"I'll be ok, I'll meet you guys in the library" Kris replied softly. He had a weird feeling about this, and he wasn't sure if this was a good plan or not. But if it wasn't, he didn't want anyone else to get hurt.
Gently detaching himself from Chanyeol's grip, Kris turned and made his way away from the group.
"I hope this goes well" he muttered under his breath, keeping himself from looking back at Chanyeol's pained expression.