Proofreading

21st Century Kim

Myungsoo leaned over Sungyeol's shoulder, feeding him different details on the life of his father as Sungyeol typed his essay on the couch. Myungsoo tried to explain as much as possible, but often times he was caught off guard in astonishment of the simplicity of Sungyeol's laptop. Instead of writing a whole document Sungyeol could simply press a square key that would have the character appear on the screen. Technology in the modern day seemed difficult, but after a crash course in everything's purpose Myungsoo realized that everything became a lot more simplified. Inventions were made to make life easier, and it only made Myungsoo wished he could stay a little longer. But one more week is enough.

"So, your dad also attempted Sino-Korean relations?" Sungyeol asked.

"Chinese trading relations were good, but there was the utmost importance to get relations with Japan. It was month mission to make a deal with Shogunate Ashikaga Yoshimitsu. We were able to retrieve a lot of weapons and promise of protection from their country. Now that there was word of... what was the word... Europeans from the west going into China, our country had to take precaution. Japan tried to push Chinese relations away, but if they could develop a relationship with Korea it would do well for both nations," Myungsoo explained. 

Sungyeol nodded his head as he typed all the details in. "This is fantastic. I can talk about Chinese relations and wanting to advance ahead of China in this. I had no idea."

"Yeah. So fantastic," Sungjong snorted as he stirred a pot of ramen in the kitchen.

Myungsoo and Sungyeol had spent the last six hours working on the essay, but it hardly felt like one hour as their partnership was very productive. Myungsoo gave the nitty gritty details and Sungyeol transcribed them all. Everything was explained very clearly, which gave Sungyeol an easy time to analyze points on his own and give critical questions for the topic. Sungyeol was almost done writing his paper and he could barely believe it.

"Myungsoo, you are a life savior. You're definitely not called the Compassionate Prince for nothing. Thank you so much for helping me." Sungyeol turned to look at Myungsoo, who was resting his chin on top of the couch.

"Like I said, I must help out my family and friends when they are in need," Myungsoo smirked, taking Sungyeol's computer to place on his own lap. He was intrigued by the capabilities of a large piece of metal that could write documents in no time. "Samsung..." Myungsoo brushed his fingers on top of the engraved Samsung logo. 

"What's been your favorite thing here so far?" Sungyeol asked, taking a quick break from writing his essay.

Myungsoo took that time to answer the question, looking on the keyboard for the characters of his name and typing each one with an index finger. Once he found the right one, he pressed down on it hard to type the letter. "Last Sunday when you showed me how to use your cell phone to capture a picture. That was interesting, being able to catch a memory as it was and putting it on your phone."

Sungyeol smiled. "You can even print them out. Instead of having artists paint your picture, which is still cool, it's easier to get a picture of a person."

"Yup. An easy and efficient way to take a picture of yourself and send it to that one special person..." Sungjong snided.

"What?" Myungsoo asked.

"Nothing," Sungjong grinned, grabbing the pot of ramen with his mittens. "Dinner is ready!"

"I'm so glad this essay is almost done." Sungyeol grabbed the laptop away from Myungsoo to put on the table. "And we barely took any time. I thought we'd be spending all Tuesday night and Wednesday night for this, but it's practically done. I should probably get it proofread..." Sungyeol shook his head. "Damnit, proofreading..."

"What is that?" Myungsoo asked.

"It's when I ask someone to review this essay before grading, and they check out the draft for spelling errors, grammar errors, all of that. Wednesday night..." Sungyeol shook his head once more. "... there's no other person who can grade this."

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu sat in his study library, a small room of the palace which he had for himself for academic purposes. The walls were surrounded by different archives of documents and books written by people before his time. It was a whole timeline of the history of Korea at the tip of his hands, as well as different novels about military combat and strategies. Sunggyu sat at his wooden desk, writing in his diary a page about his day and summarizing what has happened with the royal court.

We have yet to find my cousin. Not a single person is aware of his whereabouts or where he has gone. The guards have informed every edge of Korea that the Compassionate Prince had gone missing. It saddens me to say that if he had run away as far as the edge of the ocean, maybe he really did kill my uncle King Myunghae. Funeral services have occurred and he was buried honorably. Watching that procession broke my heart.

It also broke my heart to see Naeun standing there, without her supposed husband, crying a river of tears. A face of the heavens, a woman with a beautiful soul, should never have to endure such a pain.

At that moment, Naeun herself appeared at the door. She wore a green and pink hanbok this time around, but this time her hair was placed down with her luscious locks falling below her shoulders. Naeun wore pink and gold embroidered band around her head to block any of her hair from moving in front of her face. Her face was pale, but with pink blush brushed onto her cheeks for color.

Sunggyu gazed up at her presence and immediately closed his journal. He stood up from his seat and bowed respectfully. "Son Naeun. I did not expect you until the evening."

Naeun bowed in return, her bright smile numbing Sunggyu's senses. "I came to meet with my father, but I decided to stop by your study chambers."

Sunggyu could do nothing but smile in return. "You came to the right place. I am not busy, only writing about my daily musings."

"That can be considered as busywork Kim Sunggyu," Naeun giggled.

Sunggyu blushed crazily, holding onto his cheeks as if they were burning. He stepped forward to meet with Naeun closer. "I promise, talking to you is much more important than writing about the food I ate," he charmed.

Naeun took a look around Sunggyu's study space when he noticed a display of samurai armor at the corner of the room. Elaborate and adorned in gold, the red suit was gilded on its edges. It was unlike anything she had ever seen before. The armor was large with coverings for the arms and waist, looking as if there were multiple plates for coverage. Even at the waist, there was a plated skirt for protection. What really caught her attention was the hat, covering each side with tw gold horns hanging at the top. "Lovely armor, is that what you received from the shogun?"

"Ah, this." Sunggyu walked towards the display and gently grabbed on the arm to animate. He used the arm to point at Naeun jokingly. "He wants to meet you."

"Sure, I would love to meet him." Naeun played along with the joke and walked over to the armor, but as she moved forward she stepped on her hanbok and tripped forward.

Naeun let out a shriek, which propelled Sunggyu to move forward with the samurai armor. He stumbled to accidentally pull the arm off of the body and lurched forward to grab onto Naeun right before she fell, twisting his body so that Naeun fell on top of him as they came crashing down. The commotion was loud as the metal samurai armor smashed on the floor. 

"Naeun, are you..." Sunggyu wanted to know of Naeun's condition, but in that moment he was only preoccupied with her elegance. Their bodies pressing together, Naeun gazed down at Sunggyu without moving a single limb. It was as if the accident never happened, only time staying still as the two stared at each other. Caught by each other's grace, they could barely say one word. The sensation of lying made Sunggyu want to burst.

"Prince Sunggyu, are you ok-"

Daehyun ran as fast as possible to arrive to Sunggyu's study chambers after hearing the noise, but what beheld him was a scene of repugnance as his best friend's arranged wife lay on top of the regent prince. 

Daehyun's appearance broke their gaze as Sunggyu and Naeun helped push each other off the floor. Sunggyu was still holding on to the samurai arm as Naeun brushed herself off and made it towards the door. Embarrassed, her face turned red as she bowed in front of Daehyun. Without saying another word, she rushed past Daehyun to exit. Sunggyu held onto the arm as she smiled at her, turning to put the arm back on the armor. "Everything was an accident," Sunggyu spoke.

"I am sure it was," Daehyun scoffed, crossing his arms in disgust.

Daehyun's tone of voice was cutting, and Sunggyu knew something was wrong. "Excuse me Daehyun, but is anything the matter?"

Daehyun questioned whether he should speak out loud and out of order on what he truly felt, or whether to stay quiet and keep his thoughts within. It was a difficult decision for him to make. "An accident, or at least that is what you try to make things out to be."

Sunggyu stopped his work and dropped the arm on top of the table. He took a step forward and pointed his finger at Daehyun. "I do not know what you are trying to say, but as the guard of a lowly cousin of mine who has committed to despicable actions, I suggest you stop talking."

Daehyun formed a fist with his hand, hiding it behind his back and taking a deep breath to calm himself down. "All I have to say is, you moved very quickly to Naeun after King Myunghae was murdered and Prince Myungsoo ran away. Your actions are not so discrete."

"I have nothing to conceal," Sunggyu snided, his heart racing as the guard stood up to him. He had never seen a fire in Daehyun before, and he was shocked to hear the accusation he was implying. "If you do not know my intentions, then you should not say a word."

Daehyun nodded his head in obedience. He was done speaking to him and prepared himself to leave. "Goodbye Sunggyu."

Before Daehyun could turn around, Sunggyu grabbed onto his shoulder and spun him around. "You call me Prince Sunggyu," he demanded.

Daehyun viciously brushed Sunggyu's hand off of his shoulder, his eyebrows furrowed as he felt disrespected. "There is only one prince, and his name is Myungsoo."

With one last stare, Daehyun turned around to exit Sunggyu's study chambers.

 

(((())))

 

Myungsoo stood in front of the rice cooker, holding a paper of written constructions on how to successfully cook sticky rice for his dinner. With Sungjong attending a meeting for the business club and Sungyeol leaving him to campus without a trace, Myungsoo had to deal with making his own food. I press the red button... He reluctantly pressed the red button to stop the cooker, watching the water boil inside as the rice simmered to a soft texture. He carefully red the instructions once more to ensure he followed all the directions.

"The rice needs to settle for 10 minutes..." Myungsoo read out loud, placing the piece of paper on the counter and letting out a deep breath. The rice looked ok. The water settled in and every grain was the correct white color he wanted. 

It was always a struggle for the times when the Lee brothers left the Crown Prince alone in the apartment. Sungyeol and Sungjong both felt that they had trained and taught Myungsoo well enough to leave him alone for a couple hours, but every time they thought it was ok something terrible would happen. They hoped on a Wednesday night that everything would turn out normal this time. And it did. The rice looked fine, and Myungsoo beamed a satisfied grin for his success.

Suddenly, there was a rhythmic knock on the door.

Myungsoo tried to remember what Sungyeol told him about visitors: never answer the door unless Sungyeol or Sungjong were present with him.

It was inevitable that with Myungsoo by himself, some commotion would occur without the brothers to guide him. Myungsoo observed the door, listening as the person was persistent with knocking. He took a step back and leaned against the refridgerator, trying to ignore the arrival of the unknown person. He continued watching the door, and the person never stopped.

Sungyeol said that if I do not answer, the person will go away.

Myungsoo bit his lip as the knocking seemed to die down, creeping away to the couch.

"Hey! Sungjong! Sungyeol! I know that one of you two is home, I hear the TV on. Sungyeol, you said I could borrow your suit for my interview!"

He never gave up, and after resisting Myungsoo believed he had no choice. Myungsoo tiptoed towards the door and held onto the knob, slowly twisting it and opening the door.

In front of him was a man of shorter stature, holding a plastic bag and wearing a backpack. He looked around the same age as Myungsoo, the same hair color and length as Myungsoo, and had a teethy smile. The man raised his eyebrow and seemed confused, especially with Myungsoo wearing the same pair of jeans and same shirt that he saw Sungyeol wear the last time he saw him. "Hey, this is Sungyeol and Sungjong's apartment right?"

Myungsoo gripped onto the knob nervously. His palms started to sweat and the metal became slippery as he needed a quick response. He stared regretting answering the door unprepared. "The Lee brothers are gone."

"Oh. You mean, they don't live here anymore?" Dongwoo was confused.

"I mean that Sungyeol went to campus, and Sungjong went to a meeting for his club," Myungsoo answered. 

Dongwoo started to grow suspicious. "Who are you?"

Myungsoo swallowed his spit. "My name is Kim Myungsoo, prin... part of the House of Kim." Myungsoo leaned his back forward until he remembered what Sungyeol told him. Do not bow, it is not casual.

Dongwoo lit up. "Myungsoo sounds familiar, was I on the phone with you? You are Sungjong's classmate. Yeah. I was on the phone with you briefly. Wait. Why are you here, and neither Sungyeol nor Sungjong are?"

Myungsoo tried to remember what Sungyeol coached him to say whenever someone asked him about his identity. "I am a classmate, and I needed... a place to stay while I move."

Dongwoo shrugged his shoulders. "I see. Do you happen to know if Sungyeol left a suit and tie-"

"Is that fried chicken?" Myungsoo pointed straight to the plastic bag that Dongwoo was holding, another bucket of popcorn chicken from Wicked Chicken.

"This? Yeah. Look I would love to talk more but I'm actually in a hurry-"

"Did you make that chicken yourself?" Myungsoo asked.

Dongwoo was confused. "No... I bought it."

"I see. Well it is very delicious chicken," Myungsoo complimented.

"Thank you. Anyways, Sungyeol has this suit that I was going to borrow from him for an interview I have tomorrow. Do you happen to know where he kept it?" Dongwoo grew frustrated dealing with Myungsoo, was aloof about everything around him.

Myungsoo shook his head. "Sungyeol never told me anything. He did not tell me much before he left the premises. He only announced he was going to campus for his essay."

"I see," Dongwoo grumbled. "I guess I'll wait on the couch before they come home."

Myungsoo grew alarmed, throwing his hands out to stop Dongwoo from walking in. He did not know the relation between the stranger and the Lee brothers, so his first instinct was that to stop him. "I was not given permission from the Lee brothers to let you in, so you must respect their authority and boundary and stay outside."

Dongwoo was usually a lot more understanding in terms of difficult situations, but Myungsoo immediately rubbed him the wrong way after he denied entry to the apartment. Especially from an unknown person he had barely heard for a second on the phone. "I am a really good friend of Sungyeol and Sungjong."

Myungsoo shook his head. "I am sorry, but I cannot grant permission unless one of those two told me in advance."

"I'm sure they've talked about me before. My name is Dongwoo. Jang Dongwoo. We've been friends for years and our families go to the same church," Dongwoo tried to reason.

"Jang Dongwoo?"

"Yes. If they ever talked about a Dongwoo, that's who I am."

"Jang. Jang... Jang Jungho... is your father a carpet seller?!" Myungsoo asked.

"Wait." Dongwoo stood frozen, pressing against his bucket of chicken hard that he bent the box. "What the hell did you just say?"

"Jang Jungho makes the best carpets! He made carpets for my palace, all in gorgeous colors and many intricate patterns. Green, violent, blue, orange... he is very talented," Myungsoo smiled. Jang Jungho was an artisan who dyed carpets for the royal family and was well known around the town for his talents. 

Myungsoo saw it as a compliment, but Dongwoo was highly offended that he called his father a carpet seller. It sounded like Myungsoo was belittling he and his family's intelligence. "Jang Jungho is a dentist..."

It did not process to Myungsoo that obviously they would not be the same Jang Jungho in the past and present. Sometimes Myungsoo's excitement got the best of him when he confused then and now. It was also a total shock that coincidentally, Dongwoo's father's name was indeed Jungho.

"What is a dentist? He lives in a quaint house near my palace and I have seen him weave the carpets together," Myungsoo insisted.

"My father has been a respected dentist in the area for over 25 years..." Dongwoo started to grow furious as he crushed his whole bucket of chicken, tearing it apart as the popcorn chicken spilled in the plastic bag.

"I am sure you are mistaken. I am positive he has been a carpet maker who was mandated to make all of our carpets for the palace for 30 years-"

That was when Dongwoo threw the plastic bag of chicken on the floor and did the unthinkable of grabbing Myungsoo and pushing him against the hallway. He tried to knock some sense into Myungsoo by pressing against his chest angrily as he had never felt so insulted in his life. It was uncharacteristic for Dongwoo to act so violently even when he was tested. He was raised to understand both sides and always acted more respectfully than Sungyeol and Sungjong combined.

But no one had ever pissed him off this much.

"My father is not a carpet maker, what are you trying to say you... you... you!!!!" Dongwoo held his swear words back as he pointed his finger at Myungsoo.

"It was a compliment! No one makes carpets like Jang Jungho!!!!" Myungsoo exclaimed, putting his combat skills to test and grabbing Dongwoo's shoulders to push him back.

The two of them began to argue and bicker in the lobby just as the elevator doors opened. Sungjong nodded his head to a song on his MP3 player as he thought about the good day he had. He stepped out of the elevator and right when he turned he saw two bodies rolling on the floor, both of them trying to choke the other person as they screamed at each other. Sungjong rung his headphones around his neck as his mouth gaped in shock from the scene.

"DAMNIT MYUNGSOO!" Sungjong screamed as he ran towards Dongwoo and Myungsoo to break up the fight.

 

(((())))

 

Sungyeol arrived on campus to the school's history department with his essay in both hands. As the day settled, different professors and lecturers left the building just as Sungyeol was entering. The department lobby was barren, with not a single person at sight. But Sungyeol knew exactly where to go. 

Sungyeol took the stairs for the third floor, skipping steps every so often to get to his destination faster. He started sweating once he got to the second floor, the humid air constricting his lungs in a claustrophobic stairwell. Finally he reached his destination, pushing the doors open to the hallway. Walking down his heart started racing from a combination of the exerted effort and the hesitation of what he would see.

Or who he would see.

Sungyeol found the room he was looking for: C47. Sungyeol took one deep breath and closed his eyes. His finger tips were placed on the door as he was scared of pushing it open. His started racing the fastest it had ever been, and the anticipation was giving him a heart attack. After some time spent in front of the door, Sungyeol mustered all the courage to face his fears. He opened his eyes and used his whole palm to push the door open, leading to a small room with a tiny white board and a round table that could seat four people. There was one person sitting on the opposite side closest to the window, looking up from the book she was reading.

"Taeyeon," Sungyeol declared. Staring at the woman who broke his heart for the first time since it happened almost brought tears to his eyes. Every single memory of them together raced back in his mind as he wished this meeting was for them to embrace, everything he dreamed of for a week. But Sungyeol bit his tongue, trying to stay impartial.

"Sungyeol?" Taeyeon was shocked to see Sungyeol standing in front of him. It felt like almost an eternity since she last saw him. Her heart started beating fast as well. 

"I was just wondering... if you can proofread my term paper." Sungyeol held the essay in one hand and placed it on the table, using his thumb to slide it over to Taeyeon's side. He wanted to hear no business about their actual relationship or status. He could barely look her in the eye as he glared at a shiny spot on the table where the lamp hit. Sungyeol wanted to get this whole ordeal over with. "Taeyeon, you're the only person I can trust with looking over my essay and editing it. Do you have time to read it over?" For his own sanity, Sungyeol needed to keep things at a platonic and academic level.

Taeyeon nodded her head willingly. "Yeah, of course. Anything you need." She grabbed onto the paper and read the header: Breaking Down Japanese Walls, by Lee Sungyeol. Taeyeon grabbed onto the corner of the first page when she saw Sungyeol.

Sungyeol continued looking down at the table, crossing his arms and biting his lip as he refused to take another look at her. Everything was a mess, and Sungyeol thought his whole body would implode. The love of his life, sitting right there, only to grade a paper. There was no more chance to ask for a kiss in between sentences. There was no more chance to play with her hair or brush her thigh as she looked over his work. The chore of asking Taeyeon to grade his paper was always fun for him as he wondered how he would touch or tickle her.

But this time the feeling was different. They both stood in the same room, but a brick wall separated the both of them. Sungyeol was hurting, and he only wondered if Taeyeon felt the same way.

"Sungyeol, you can sit down if you want," Taeyeon suggested as she finally turned the first page of his essay.

"Ok," Sungyeol cracked, his body shaking as he took a seat. He tapped his fingers on his knee, which he was so used to holding Taeyeon with. For the first time since their breakup, they were in the same room without any indication. It only solidified in Sungyeol's mind that Taeyeon clearly moved on.

Taeyeon focused her attention on Sungyeol's essay, meticulously reading each line as she followed the words with a purple pen. She squinted her eyes whenever she read something, and made different comments on the margins of the paper whenever it was needed. "How are you?" Taeyeon asked, keeping her eyes on Sungyeol's work. "I haven't talked to you in a really long time."

Sungyeol had no idea how to answer that question and answered with the basics. "I'm fine. I have this essay due tomorrow in class. How are you?"

"I'm good as well." Taeyeon flipped another page of the essay to read on. "I was able to finish a rough draft of my thesis on the Great Korean Republic."

"Yeah, you've been working on that for a while now."

"I just need my advisor to read it over," Taeyeon continued.

"That's good." I'm glad everything seems to be working out for you. To Sungyeol, Taeyeon acted the exact same way as when they were together and ever since knowing her. She seemed unfazed by everything, which bothered him to no end. How can Taeyeon still act normal?  For Sungyeol, Taeyeon seemed fine after their two years of dating. Everything he had known about Taeyeon seemed like it was far in the distance, and knowing that he could not hold her the same way again broke his heart into pieces.

Taeyeon turned another page of the essay. "It's really good seeing you. I tried texting you and I tried to see you last Saturday, but you weren't home," she commented.

You mean when you returned everything from our relationship? Sungyeol frowned. "I see."

Taeyeon looked up from Sungyeol's essay and took a quick glance at Sungyeol's jacket. "I see you got your jacket back?"

Sungyeol wore his Korea University track jacket to see Taeyeon, one of the things she returned and one of Taeyeon's favorite items. It was torture for him to wear it and even worse for Taeyeon to mention it, but still it was Sungyeol's favorite jacket. He looked down at the Korea University emblem on his chest and the red stripes along the sleeves. Taeyeon always thought it looked chic and warmed her up whenever it was cold. Now Sungyeol was back to wearing it. "You've had it for a while. It is a nice jacket."

Taeyeon nodded her head as she paid attention to his essay again. Distracted, she looked up at Sungyeol again. "I know this was difficult, but I'm glad you came to visit me, even if it's just for this essay. I've missed you Sungyeol."

That prompted Sungyeol to look up and match eyes with Taeyeon, whose eyes started to water. Sungyeol had not expected to hear those words from Taeyeon, who suddenly looked shaken up and distraught by their distance. Sungyeol took one gulp to hold back all of his own tears. "I miss you too. Well, you know how much I've missed you," he replied.

Taeyeon dropped the essay on the table and sighed. "Now seeing you wear that jacket... Sometimes I wish I could take back everything that happened, so that you wouldn't be hurting. So that I wouldn't be hurting."

Sungyeol had wondered for so long how Taeyeon felt after that single moment of their breakup. If she was happy, if she was sad. He had just gotten over tearing up over her before he went to sleep, slowly tried to get over his first love, but hearing those words made it all more problematic. This was not a feeling that could go away so easily.

"Sungyeol, I know I told you I want to be your friend after this but I'm starting to realize how difficult this is for the both of us. I know that I'm the last person you want to talk to, but if we work this out little-by-little, can things be back to normal? But I understand if you... no longer want to talk to me after you leave this room." Taeyeon dropped her pen on top of the essay, forgetting everything about it to find out an answer. Nothing else seemed important.

You want for things to be back to normal?

Sungyeol's heart skipped a beat. Her regret, her wishes. The potential that things can get back to normal after everything. It had only been a week, but feelings resurfaced. Love was a hard thing to erase.

If I can edit this relationship, can we work out?

 

(((())))

 

"Kim Myungsoo is a real person from the past... that you read about from Sungyeol's history book?" Dongwoo asked as he held a bag of frozen dumplings against the side of his head. 

"Yes, I swear this isn't bull," Sungjong nodded as he held onto the plastic bag of fried chicken that he salvaged after breaking up their fight. Sungjong felt obliged to tell Dongwoo the whole truth after the altercation, leading to Sungjong having to wrestle the both of them down to stop the skirmish. "If you want to wait for Sungyeol to come home, I swear that this isn't a lie. He has all of the resources and evidence to prove this."

"I apologize for that comment about Jang Jungho," Myungsoo bowed his head out of courtesy and repentance while holding a bag of frozen shortribs against his shoulder. "Things can get confusing for me."

Dongwoo found it hard to believe that a Crown Prince of the past could travel through a jacuzzi and land in their time, but every situation explained matched up and could not be denied. It was a of magic, the force of nature doing something unbelievable for all of them. Dongwoo cleared his throat. "Prince Myungsoo, I'm sorry I tried to choke you. I didn't know, but now I do."

"And you can't tell this to anyone Dongwoo. ANYONE." Sungjong waved a piece of popcorn chicken to Dongwoo's face to emphasize the importance. "This is a huge deal and Sungyeol and I can't believe it. But this will cause problems if anyone knows. We weren't going to tell you anyways, but we trust you. Also, Sungyeol is going to bring Myungsoo back next Friday anyways so this doesn't have to blow up unnecessarily. You're the only person. That's it."

Dongwoo nodded his head. "So Myungsoo is just staying here until Sungyeol can definitely confirm that his cousin Sunggyu killed his father."

"Yes, and hyung is really close."

"Wow. This is insane." Dongwoo could not believe something of this level could happen.

"Tell me about it. Myungsoo is quite the troublemaker," Sungjong commented. 

Myungsoo bowed one more time to show his sincere apologies to everything. "Please forgive me Dongwoo."

"Myungsoo, let's just forget this happened." Dongwoo let out a small smirk on the side that flashed part of his teeth. He was still stunned by their fight, but Dongwoo slowly accepted Myungsoo and his terms. It was a crazy story, but Dongwoo still believed it. Especially after Sungjong explained it. Sungjong was the type of person who could keep a snarky joke going, but if things became intense he would tell the truth.

"Great. Now how do I break the news to Sungyeol that you know... he might be a little angry that I revealed this to another person," Sungjong mumbled.

That was when they heard Sungyeol's voice from outside their building. Sungyeol's laugh was so loud, it could spread from the farthest depths of the city and reach to anyone. The voice came from outside, to which Dongwoo pointed at the window. "Sungyeol's back."

Dongwoo, Myungsoo, and Sungjong hurried together to look outside Sungyeol's window and spy on him as they noticed a woman standing right next to him. That was when Sungjong immediately recognized her face and groaned. "No way. Is that..." Sungjong carefully opened the window without making a sound to listen in on their conversaton.

Sungyeol and Taeyeon walked along the entrance of his apartment, the two of them laughing hysterically.

"Yeah, Woohyun is a nuisance sometimes at work. Sometimes he tries to compete with me for our advisor's attention," Taeyeon mentioned.

"I hate that guy," Sungyeol stated bluntly. "I want to punch him in the face whenever he talks."

Taeyeon giggled. "Woohyun said that someone in your class argued with him during a lecture."

Myungsoo... that was amazing yet embarrassing. "Yeah, Woohyun really needed to be put in his place."

The window view was towards the front of the apartment, facing the street as the broken up couple spent their time together under a streetlight. Dongwoo leaned his head and bag of dumplings against the window. "I wonder what this means..."

"I sure hope this doesn't mean that they're getting back together, cause if she breaks Sungyeol's heart one more time I don't want to be there to pick him off the floor," Sungjong shook his head.

Myungsoo watched carefully with his chin perched on the window, holding onto the bag of shortribs as he spied on Sungyeol and Taeyeon. That is the woman, the woman who ended her relationship with Sungyeol. But they are still talking cordially.

"I'm gonna go in and edit everything you wrote for my term paper," Sungyeol started as he went towards the door. Butterflies flew around his stomach as being around Taeyeon made him nervous, but this time it was not a sad feeling. It was a pleasant feeling. Warm and inviting, something he has missed for a week. "Anyways, you didn't have to take me home."

"That's ok. I enjoyed our conversation together," Taeyeon smiled as the two of them caught up for the first time after the breakup. A nighttime breeze made Taeyeon shiver, holding her arms and looking down to stop the cold.

"Hey." Without much thinking, Sungyeol did what he instinctively done when Taeyeon was cold and took his jacket off to place around her shoulders. ping the jacket, he draped it around her with his hands brushing against her collarbone as he fitted the jacket on. Taeyeon looked up at Sungyeol as he finished, the two of them staring at each other with a deep passion that he remembered having. It was a look of knowing that the other person cared about you just as much as you did. It was a look that Sungyeol had yearned for so long from Taeyeon.

A look of love.

"Just give me the jacket, I don't know, whenever. I'll be going inside anyways," Sungyeol smiled as he took a piece of Taeyeon's hair out of her face and brushed it around her ear. Sungyeol finally broke their gaze and took a step back to into their apartment. 

Taeyeon smiled back, turning around to walk back to the subway. "Have a good night Sungyeol."

Sungyeol watched as Taeyeon left, observing every single detail of the love of his life walking away. Her dress, her hair, her legs, and now the jacket that she once loved to wear. And still loved to wear as Taeyeon fed her arms into the sleeves. Sungyeol felt a satisfaction that he missed. What was a week was a whole lifetime, and after tribulations his life was back on track. Sungyeol grinned like an idiot and made his way inside.

"Sungyeol... are they in a relationship again?" Myungsoo asked.

"Sungyeol is coming back inside! Everyone back on the couch," Sungjong warned as he patted on both Dongwoo and Myungsoo's back to get them back inside and pretend they did not see a thing.

The pat startled Myungsoo, stumbling at the window and dropping the bag of shortribs right on the sidewalk. He tried to reach out and grab the bag before it fell, but it was too late as the bag broke and meat juices splashed all over the sidewalk.

"MY SHORTRIBS!" Sungjong cried, as he pushed Myungsoo out of the way and extended his arm out of the window as if it would help retrieve the bag. 

Dongwoo grabbed onto Myungsoo and Sungjong's shirt collars to pull them away from the window and drag them to the couch.