What Happens Next?

21st Century Kim

Our story takes an unexpected turn as our two brothers fail to send the exiled Crown Prince back to the Joseon Dynasty. It is history in the making, but in a new type of way unfathomable. What is the way to get Myungsoo back to his time? Is it a remarkable leg of quantum science that is yet to be crossed, or is the answer laid out right in front of them without a single notice?

All of this occurring in the 21st century, but exactly is happening in the 15th century? The House of Kim is breaking down, with royal guard Daehyun doing his best to keep the family together as well as figure out himself the mystery of King Myunghae's murder. Times are getting desperate, and Daehyun suspects foul play at the palace. The answer is not as obvious as it may seem, and to explain more we return to the new Crown Prince of Joseon. 

 

(((())))

 

"Prince Sunggyu!"

Sunggyu desired a long break from searching for his cousin and dealing with his new responsibilities as the Crown Prince, escaping his study chambers to walk around the town market. The roles of the prince were a lot more demanding than he had expected. Acting as the face of the town, Sunggyu was much more widely recognized outside the palace. Merchants, artisans, mothers, children wanted the chance to meet the prince, coming at the cost of his freedom and privacy. 

"Prince Sunggyu! Over here!"

Sunggyu gingerly turned his head and caught a fisherman at the corner of his eye, selling an assortment of different kinds of shellfish. "Caught yesterday at Gimpo! Still fresh and ready to eat."

Seoul had a lack of seafood by the Han River. Shellfish such as mussels, clams, and oysters was accessed at the edge of the country, taking boats around the Gimpo and Incheon area for their take. After fishermen attained their catch, all food was brought to the Korean capital for trade. It was a hassle to upkeep seafood to Seoul with the considerations of icing for preservation. Once it all arrived to Seoul, fishermen had a maximum of two days to sell everything before their rotten catch was thrown out to the dogs. 

Sunggyu was a huge fan of oysters, a prized commodity of the royal court. Fish served to the House of Kim was treated with the utmost care and properly cooked to perfection. While Sunggyu appreciated this aspect of fine court dining, his true love for oysters stems right at its core. The simple raw meat, merely the size of his thumb, was more appetizing than any soup or marinade they made for it. Sunggyu wanted time by himself, but he could never pass an offer for oysters. "What is your name?" Sunggyu asked.

The fisherman carefully observed the pile of oysters, picking and choosing the best possible one to serve to his superior. After tossing several busts to the side, kept in the middle of the pile was a large shell that sparkled in the sunlight like a rainbow. It was beautiful shells like this that garnered the best oyster meat, and he only wanted the best for the prince. "Paik Hongmin."

"Hongmin," Sunggyu repeated. He grabbed a knife on the market table and the oyster from the merchants hands, preparing to shuck the whole oyster himself.

"Prince, this is not proper etiquette for a prince like you to-"

Sunggyu stabbed the oyster, the knife close to hitting through the whole shell and piercing his own palm. With much force, he twisted the knife and flung the whole shell open into a perfect crater with the tender oyster meat moist and ready to eat. He placed the knife back on the table and sipped the juices out of its shell. Puckering his lips, Sunggyu let out a satisfying sigh with a smile no one had seen of him for a while. "I like oysters when they are raw," he admitted. "When they cook it, it loses its flavor."

"Prince Sunggyu." Hongmin bowed in front of him, honored for the own prince to have tried his oysters.

"I will come back next week to have another oyster as delicious as this one. Great work Hongmin."

"I promise, only the best will be caught and served to you."

Sunggyu took the rest of his oyster and slurped the meat up, his eyes rolling back to the delicious mouthwatering taste of a single piece of meat. It was so insignificant, yet meant everything to Sunggyu in such a stressful time. 

"Sunggyu."

Sunggyu heard his name, following his eyes to the voice of Naeun standing right behind him. Dressed in a much casual robe, she wore a lime green hanbok with that blended to purple at the bottom, tied up together with an embroidered white and black sash. Her hair was tied up into a bun, placed with a headband at the top of her head almost like a crown. Even in such a casual manner, Naeun always looked exceptionally well. "Naeun," he responded, greeting her with a 90 degree bow. "Are you not supposed to be studying right now?"

"Are you not supposed to be meeting with the royal court for another discussion of your cousin?" she snided.

Sunggyu glanced at the empty oyster shell, shimmering in the sunlight and threw it to the side. "I guess we are both disobeying protocol at the moment, fools playing in fire." He looked up at Naeun, catching her beautiful eyes as they sparkled and called for his attention. Sunggyu walked by Naeun's side, lowering his head so the two of them would no longer be recognized.

Naeun clasped her hands together, almost blushing with Sunggyu around. "You were pleasant to the merchant there," she complimented.

Sunggyu was confused. "Hongmin was a good man."

"I know, but I am surprised. You are changing in some ways."

As they approached the end of the market, Sunggyu halted his steps and touched Naeun's shoulder to stop her. Sunggyu spoke without Naeun turning back around. "Changing? What do you mean?" The word change scared him, as it had both positive and negative implications.

Naeun heard the worry in his voice, finding it absolutely adorable. She turned her head and met eyes with Sunggyu, his touch feeling very immature. "You are one to act on proper manner of the court. You are one of the most serious and aggressive people I know. The Sunggyu I used to know would never try to talk to someone like a fisherman for his food. The Sunggyu I know would attend every meeting and study required of him. You used to be a rock. This is uncharacteristic, but I do not see it as a bad thing."

"Then what do you think this is?" Sunggyu questioned, for every accusation it seemed as if it was negative.

Naeun flashed a smile, brushing her fingers off his chest to push him away. "It means you are developing a softer heart."

Teasing him a little more, Naeun passed Sunggyu to walk back down to the entrance of the market.

Sunggyu watched as she walked away with elegance, the petals of trees around falling down in her path like the princess she really was. There is a reason why my heart is so soft.

Sunggyu made a courageous move he never thought he could do. He ran after Naeun and impulsively grabbed onto her wrist, pulling her into his arms smoothly as he placed his hand on her gentle cheek to place a sweet kiss on her lips. A simple peck that caught the both of them off guard, yet pulled them into a full swing of emotions they never thought imaginable. There was not a single thing that could stop him, the kiss everything he ever wanted. After a few seconds passed, he pulled his lips back and drew his eyes to hers, the both of them looking at each other in shock. Sunggyu had his hand on her cheek as Naeun pressed her hands on Sunggyu's chest. Taking one look into an angel's eyes, Sunggyu had no regrets with anything he did.

Naeun, on the other hand.

"I... I have to go."

Naeun stepped back as if Sunggyu was a criminal, her face distressed as she grabbed the fabric of her hanbok to run away as fast as possible.

"Naeun, wait!" Sunggyu brought his hand out, trying to stop her but watching as her image faded with the horizon. Did I move too fast? Is she still not over Myungsoo? Sunggyu made a fist, digressing back into the rock that he was used to.

Naeun... I like you. That is what makes my heart so soft. I thought you felt the same way.

 

(((())))

 

Sungyeol arrived home late Wednesday afternoon, ending his school day with a quick stop by the library as well as Starbucks. He carried a tray with a caffe americano and caramel frappucino over two new borrowed books: one book about Bang Sok's push for improving the food system of the Joseon, as well as a thick all-black book called The Science of Time Travel. "How's everything? I got the drink you wanted, but don't you have a club meeting today?" Sungyeol asked, making his way to the couch.

Sungjong took his spot with his legs on the coffee table and his mind at ease as he flipped through several news outlets. He pointed the remote at the drink tray, wielding it like a laser and pretending the drinks were flying right to him as Sungyeol arrived. Sungjong convulsed, imitating buzzing noises until Sungyeol passed the drink to him.

"."

Sungjong sipped his caramel frappucino, just as refreshing as he expected. "Thanks hyung. My meeting got cancelled today."

The news displayed some breaking news. "We have received reports today that Asiana Airlines CEO Kim Soocheon has reportedly left his position to move to Japan. The sudden news shocked the business world, not a single word or conference by Kim Soocheon explaining his departure." 

"That's random," Sungjong hummed, coughing a little on his drink. "The news has been strange lately. Really weird moves from businesses. I don't quite understand."

Sungyeol dropped his new books on his lap, specifically showing off the time travel book to Sungjong. "Check this out. I remember the last time Hoya was here, he kept digressing to this book he was obsessed with. I actually found it at the library, and maybe it can help us?"

"You're seriously reading this?" Sungjong snagged the book away and turning to a randomly chosen page with his finger. He opened it up, cleared his throat, and read the contents with brass. "We have to take this notion with an uncertainty of the linear plane we currently live on. This diverges into a mass of nonlinear effects, calculated in the form of a matrix to bring to life different possibilities... What the does that even mean?"

"I don't know!" Sungyeol stole the book away from his brother and threw it on the coffee table. There was much difficulty grasping the notion of time travel, but in desperate times Sungyeol exhausted as many resources as possible to piece the enigmatic puzzle together. "I'll ask Hoya when he comes here on Saturday... how is Myungsoo anyways?"

"Myungsoo? The same way we left him: on his mat."

"Still?" Sungyeol grunted, leaning back on the couch in worry. "Have you figured anything out yet?"

"No." Sungjong rubbed his forehead, close to surrendering the battle of taking Myungsoo back to Joseon. The task proved troublesome on many different levels. "Sungyeol, I'm sorry, but it's been the same thing for the past couple of days. This is a lost cause."

"No it's not." Sungyeol was persistent, hardheaded as usual in his feeble attempts to bring the Crown Prince back to his world. "You're not giving up, are you?"

Sungjong placed his drink down and brought his hands between his knees. "We've tried everything though. Every single night. We tried Myungsoo wearing the hanbok he came in. We tried reenacting the scene with you in the jacuzzi, which by the way was incredibly awkward because you kicked Myungsoo in the balls again..."

"Ok, get to the ing point."

"I think we need to accept that Myungsoo might be here for the long haul." As much as Sungjong regretted saying it, he could no longer be delusional of the fact. "I'm sorry hyung... I just feel terrible for the guy. I don't want to feed him anymore broken promises."

Sungyeol refused to believe a single thing his brother said, leaping from his seat to talk to Myungsoo. "I can't do this to him. We're bringing him home. It might take a little longer, but we everything to our disposal to solve this. Hoya is visiting soon and I can talk to him. This isn't a broken record. This will be solved."

With determination, Sungyeol left the living room to check on Myungsoo for himself. His door was open halfway, all the lights turned off with nothing but the street lights and setting sun lighting inside. He took one big gulp to finish his drink, crushing the cup in his hands to prepare himself for another talk with Myungsoo. Sungyeol snuck his head inside.

The shadow of the blinds masked Myungsoo's face, but in the light showed a hopeless scene. The prince lay on his back in the same exact position Sungyeol left him with: the blankets were raised up to under his chin, his dried eyes looking straight into the ceiling in vein. Myungsoo's body was paralyzed, not even moving a single inch as Sungyeol entered. He had stayed this way for six days straight, subtracting the feeble attempts to returning Myungsoo back at night. The meddlesome spirit they once knew could care less, skipping school, skipping hanging out. Nothing mattered to him anymore.

"Myungsoo." Sungyeol closed the door right behind him to address the prince in private. Coming home every day to such despondence dampered his spirit. "How are you?"

Myungsoo responded in one word. "Fine."

Sungyeol nodded his head, throwing his drink into the trash can. The cup missed, landing right next to Myungsoo's head instead. Even with the fragrance of coffee infusing in his head, Myungsoo continued to stay where he was. "So I just borrowed a book recently about time travel... I'll be reading the book maybe tomorrow or Friday to check it out. Also like I told you before my cousin is a physics major. Once he gets here, he can help me out."

"So a plan has not been prepared yet?" Myungsoo asked.

Sungyeol blinked his eyes, wondering if there was a better roundabout way to phrase it. "It is being worked on as we speak."

"I understand." Myungsoo sifted on his mat for a comfortable posiiton, the first movement he made since discussing the matter. "Sungyeol, I am not going home, am I?"

Come on Myungsoo, don't act like this. "I told you that I'm working on it."

Myungsoo's voice was soft, relinquishing to the hands of fate. "No, please be honest with me. I overstayed my welcome, and I traded my execution for the price of my home. This is fine. I have to accept I will never the the Crown Prince ever again. I will never see my family again. I will never see Daehyun again. Naeun. Everyone at the palace. I am a strong person, but I am also weak minded as well. I do not blame a single thing on you Sungyeol. I only blame the stars. The Compassionate Prince is no more. I will never be home ever again. I have no one." Myungsoo turned to his side, facing away from Sungyeol to signify he was finished talking to him.

Sungyeol leaned against his door, watching the prince weep silently to himself. Myungsoo believed he had no one, even though Sungyeol stood right in front of him. It almost made Sungyeol feel every effort had gone to waste. He spent a significant amount of his time proving Sunggyu guilty, as well as using him as a primary source for his schoolwork. He wished he set different priorities, sending him back as soon as possible. 

That was all too late.

Sungyeol did not know what else to do but leave Myungsoo by himself. 

 

(((())))

 

Couple days passed.

Sungyeol scrambled through the kitchen, opening cupboards everywhere and throwing pots and pans everywhere as he rushed making dinner.

Suddenly, a triple knock sounded at the door.

Sungyeol was used to that knock, his heart jumping out of his heart as he rushed to the door to open it. "Taeyeon."

Taeyeon stood at his door, holding two bags in her hands of different fabrics and supplies. "Sungyeol, here you go. I wish I could stay longer, but I have to go."

Sungyeol looked a mess. His hair was flying all over the place, as well as his apron and hands covered in different sauces and liquids from cooking. His whole apartment smelled like oil, no matter how high the fan was or how many windows were open. He was in a hurry, taking the two bags from Taeyeon. "Are you sure you don't want to cook with me?" 

"I'll definitely help next time. What are you trying to do anyways? Especially with the material?"

"I'm just making dinner, but it's a special themed dinner. I'll give all of you this stuff back on Monday." Sungyeol was overly appreciated. "Thank you so much."

Taeyeon smiled, grabbing onto Sungyeol's arm and squeezing it. "Will I see you tomorrow?" 

Sungyeol lost himself for a moment in her voice. That tender and sultry sound that made his heart go wild. He was convinced everything was slowly working itself out. Couples who break up go through rough patches all the time, but without a doubt he saw their relationship progressing more than ever. Sungyeol knew for a fact the two of them still loved each other, and maybe the time apart was necessary to ignite her interest once more. "Definitely."

An explosion of oil splashed at the stove followed by a popping noise that echoed through the apartment. Sungyeol and Taeyeon cringed, realizing the food was still cooking. 

Taeyeon pointed towards the elevator, as if she was being rushed. "I should go now..."

"Yeah, you should," Sungyeol chuckled, closing the door after their goodbye and stumbling over to the kitchen to continue.

 

(((())))

 

"Now open the door."

Myungsoo bent over and grabbed onto the handle.

"You have to be careful, though. The laundry can come piling out if you aren't prepared."

Sungjong passed Myungsoo their laundry bag, who opened it up and placed it under the door to prepare for the laundry to come out. After much time moping around the house, Sungjong was able to get Myungsoo out of bed and interest him in helping with clothes washing. It was not the most cultivating experience in the world, but after Myungsoo's world turned upside down he was willing to put any stop to get him out of his slump. The man who once tinkered with his phone and television no longer had a heart, and Sungjong tried to revive it.

"I just pull it now?" Myungsoo asked.

"Yes." Sungjong stood back, biting his thumb and praying to the heavens Myungsoo's luck did not make the whole clothes dryer explode. He almost regretted ever asking him to come.

Myungsoo prepared himself, taking a deep breath and opening the door to allow the clothes to flood out into the bag. It was the ideal situation Sungjong imagined. The clothes magically fell into place, without Myungsoo having to even guide the laundry in. Their bag filled up with warm clothes, the fragrance of dryer sheets tingling his senses. Myungsoo never knew clothes could smell this good, breathing in the wonder of lilacs and citrus to clear his nose and his mind. He was so used to washing and drying his clothes on the line, he was impressed with how much technology had changed to become efficient and provide positive externalities in the process. 

"And that is how you do laundry," Sungjong concluded, grabbing the bag and tying the top for a successful finish. "You did it Myungsoo. This is how we wash clothes."

Myungsoo was a little enthusiastic, but still exhibiting low energy after last week's ordeal. "Thank you for teaching me Sungjong."

"Of course. Also, anything to get someone else to do chores for me is a plus," Sungjong smirked.

"So we can go back?" They spent the last two hours outside their apartment taking care of laundry. Myungsoo was ready to leave, the first to head towards the door.

"Wait." Sungjong held onto Myungsoo's sleeve. "I mean we can hang out here for a little while longer."

"I am fine."

The two of them made their way back to their apartment, which was the floor below the laundry room. Instead of taking the elevator Myungsoo and Sungjong resorted to the stairwell. Myungsoo walked quickly to get back to his bed while Sungjong took his time dragging the laundry downstairs, prolonging his time taken to get back.

"Slow down," Sungjong complained, lengthening the time out of the apartment a little while longer. "We're not in any rush."

Myungsoo gave a faint response, sulking his way back. "I would like to go back to sleep."

As they approached the apartment, Sungjong stepped in front of Myungsoo and leaned against the door to stop him from going inside. He held the laundry bag up, shaking his head. "But don't you want to talk about life... and the weather... and the laundry... and I don't know, s..."

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow. "s?"

"Yeah... s."

Sungjong did the best he could.

"I demand you open the door now," Myungsoo ordered.

Sungjong abided, passing the bag of laundry to Myungsoo. "Very well." With a neutral expression, Sungjong took his keys and unlocked the door. Sungjong headed in with Myungsoo closely following.

Upon entering their apartment, Myungsoo dropped the whole bag of laundry onto the floor.

Their whole apartment was elaborately decorated to that of a grand palace. Every wall was draped in embroidered silk artwork in different colors. The whole living room and kitchen was illuminated, shining like a rainbow in the midst of the evening. As well as silk were two small paintings placed on the table; a dark blue painting of the rolling hills, as well as a portrait of the House of Kim standing in a garden. The table was filled with multiple dishes in honor of the Joseon royal court, specifically served for extravagant occasions in the House. Goldongban, janggukjuk, tteokguk, mandu, all served in their apartment's best dishware.

Sungyeol stood at the table, carrying a pot of the final dish served for the middle. Crab gamjeong, a dish that Myungsoo had mentioned a few times as being his favorite food, piping hot and ready to eat. Other than the change of scenery and the food, Sungyeol also looked significantly different. It was unlike Myungsoo had ever seen before. Sungyeol wore a pale blue hanbok matched with pink pants. His outfit was embroidered with different flowers at the front, yellow, red, orange. Topping Sungyeol's final outfit was a red bokgeon, the cloth hat hanging down his head and covering all of his hair. The hat was always an inside joke with his family. Even though the bokgeon was meant for children, Sungyeol always loved it growing up whenenver his family celebrated Chuseok. Dressed to full attire of the the Joseon Dynasty, Sungyeol turned his head and caught Myungsoo and Sungjong at the door. "Sungjong!" he scolded, dropping the dish down and walking over. "I told you, I needed like 10 more minutes!"

"I know, I know." Sungjong pointed his thumb at Myungsoo. "This guy was persistent to leave as soon as the laundry was finished. I couldn't buy anymore time, but it looks like you were done anyways!"

"I guess so," Sungyeol bit his lip, placing his hands on his hips thinking the place looked as decent as he could make it. "The hanboks came in this morning. Mom packed yours as well. It's on my bed."

"Sweet. I haven't worn that thing in half a year." Sungjong clicked his tongue and went to Sungyeol's room to get his clothes for the evening.

Myungsoo stood in front of the whole apartment speechless, checking every single effort placed into decorating the apartment like his very own palace. From the artwork, to the food, not to mention one of his favorite dishes he had ever consumed, to even Sungyeol's outfit. It almost felt like he was home.

"What do you think?" Sungyeol asked, fixing his headgear to make it more comfortable.

Myungsoo was at a loss for words. "I... I do not know what to say."

Sungyeol cracked his knuckles, introducing him to everything around. "All of the wall decorations Taeyeon was able to let me borrow a lot of her artwork for the occasion. I even found a printed copy of an old family portrait of yours, which was pretty neat. Making a lot of the food was fun and I'm surprised at how much I made by myself. The mandu was a little tedious, but I figured out a system by using my chopsticks." Sungyeol could tell Myungsoo was thinking deeply and tried to inspire some dialogue. "Do you like it Myungsoo?"

"Like it?" Myungsoo hugged himself, holding back a wave a tears that were about to fall. This time instead of sadness, he would cry tears of joy from Sungyeol's kind actions. "I cannot believe anyone would go to extreme lengths to do something like this for me."

Since Sungyeol's breakup, he never had a creative outlet to show off what he was capable of in terms of kindness. He was quite chalked full of different ideas all the time, planning out different scenarios in his head and the best way to perfect them. With Myungsoo carrying the sadness of staying in 2014, he channeled his whole heart into cheering up his friend. "I know it really that we haven't figured out a way to get you back to Joseon, and I'm really doing all that I can to get you home as soon as possible... for now, the least I can do is bring the home to you. Whatever happens, I want you to make the best out of everything life offers to you."

"I... Sungyeol..." Myungsoo's voice wavered, unable to say a single sentence. He bit his lip, closing his eyes as he was touched by it all. "This... You..."

Sungjong popped out of the hallway, wearing a similar hanbok to Sungyeol but in different colors. His robe was a pale yellow, embroidered in red and white flowers to top off his red pants. He twirled around the living room, showing off his new style. "You know, Myungsoo was right. Clothes back then are 10 times more comfortable than now! Everything is so airy." Sungjong played with his clothes, jumping and skipping around to show off the movement he could make. "This was a great idea, telling mom to send us our hanboks."

Myungsoo cracked a smile, his first one in a whole week. Sungyeol and Sungjong were so great to him, providing everything they could to make Myungsoo feel comfortable during such a hard time. He finally realized that in difficult times, showing weakness only hindered growth. He had to make the best of his time left, however long that may be, in the 21st century, and cultivate his knowledge and thinking. Of course, the task was easier when he had two good friends to stand by his side. "Exactly. Flowy pants are the way to go."

Sungyeol smirked, warming his heart that Myungsoo felt a lot happier. "So what do you say? Put on your hanbok, and let's eat?"

Myungsoo was grateful for everything that occurred with happiness beaming out of his heart and smile. "I will put my hanbok on, and then I will judge how well you can make crab gamjeong."

 

(((())))

 

As the sun rose, an incessant knock came pounding down on Sungyeol and Sungjong's apartment. Not a single second was spared to continue slamming their hand against the door, the knocking growing louder as time passed on.

"ing damnit, it's 7 o' clock in the morning on a ing Saturday." Sungjong's attitude was rightfully snarky whenever his sleep was interrupted. He could not stand one more knock, and he was convinced he was going to dropkick the person behind if they did not shut up. "I'm coming, ." Sungjong furiously grabbed the door and swung it open, preparing to kill the person right behind it.

A person in black basketball shorts and a black hoodie stood by the door, wearing a stuffed gray and purple backpack with an extra bag of clothes in his hands. "Sungjong!"

Sungjong blinked his eyes multiple times, suddenly waking up from the call. With his senses barely coming back to him, his vision cleared up as he recognized the person from across. A person he missed dearly. "HOYA!"

Sungjong was less irritable, greeting his older cousin with a warm hug to start off the morning. With his arms wrapped around Hoya and his backpack, Sungjong attempted to twist Hoya and wrestle him down to the ground. "You inconsiderate idiot, next time tell us when you're coming this early."

Sungjong tried his best holding Hoya down, but Hoya was much stronger than him and twisted his body to gain momentum. He picked Sungjong up in his arms, preparing to throw him onto the couch. Sungjong shrieked for help, grabbing onto his neck to stop him. "You think you can fight me?!" Hoya provoked, smiling his off as he bodyslammed Sungjong into the couch.

"It is TOO EARLY for this!" Sungjong cried, squirming around to get away from his cousin.

Sungyeol and Myungsoo ran out of their room to the bloodcurdling screams, panicking that a burglar came into their apartment. Rushing to the living room, Sungyeol realized it was only his cousin. "HOYA!" he exclaimed with his hands in the air.

Hoya was distracted with bringing Sungjong down, he almost missed Sungyeol standing by him. "Sungyeol! I missed you!" He finally relieved Sungjong of his own misery and ran to Sungyeol, greeting him with light punches to his stomach before giving him a welcoming hug. "How are you guys?!"

Sungyeol and Sungjong were both thrilled to finally see their cousin again after three whole months. Any weekend with Hoya meant one thing: a lot of drinking and mischief. The boys desired this much fun for a long time, especially after dealing with the troubles of school and their personal lives for the past few months. This was a much needed break they all needed.

"We're good. Pretty tired, but it is only 7 in the morning..." Sungyeol complained.

"I took an earlier train than expected," Hoya apologized, except he did not feel sorry at all. "So tonight we're going to your girlfriend's birthday?"

"Well, not really a-"

Sungyeol walked over to Sungjong and covered his mouth to shut him up. "Taeyeon and I are going through a rough patch, but that should all be resolved after tonight."

Hoya noticed someone in the living room he had never seen before. "You have a new roommate?"

They all stared at Myungsoo, who stood awkwardly in front of them with his feet and hands together for a proper stand. Myungsoo stared up to the ceiling, wondering if he should even say a word. The brothers mentioned Hoya arriving to their apartment, but the thought slipped his mind after battling a weeklong struggle with himself. He decided to introduce himself. "I am Myungsoo, and I am not from the Joseon Dynasty."

Sungyeol and Sungjong collectively slapped their foreheads. A minor improvement in his greetings, but could be improved.

Hoya laughed at his clumsiness, judging what that could even mean. "My name is Hoya, and I am not from the Joseon Dynasty as well."

"Myungsoo this is the cousin we were talking about," Sungjong explained, disrupting any sort of future embarrassment the prince could cause them. "Hoya, Myungsoo moved in with us recently. He's my classmate and had to switch apartments in the meantime."

"Well this is gonna be a fun weekend!" Hoya clapped his hands together. "You haven't met me yet, but by the end of this night you won't even remember Taeyeon's birthday."

"Wait." Sungyeol realized he never formally invited Myungsoo to go to Taeyeon's party with them, let alone he never saw Myungsoo in a party setting. He assumed that Myungsoo would have gone home to the Joseon by then. Now there was another formality he had to deal with, Hoya getting to know Myungsoo. Their secret had to be preserved, as well as Myungsoo's sanity. "I don't think we've ever taken Myungsoo drinking before..."

"You're lucky I'm here!" Hoya insisted, wrapping an arm around Myungsoo's shoulders. "Right?"

Sungyeol and Sungjong glanced at each other, wondering if it would be in their best interest. They had never seen the Crown Prince drink, and with the expectations Hoya had for all of them they feared for Myungsoo's life. Sungjong reflected on every single thing gone wrong with Myungsoo and translated that into drinking. With Myungsoo's common senses inhibited, Sungjong knew the night would only go two ways:

Terrible or even more terrible.

"You might need to relax with Myungsoo," Sungjong pointed out.

Hoya shook his head. "Don't listen to them Myungsoo. I promise I'll take good care of you. If Sungyeol and Sungjong let you room with them, that means you must be pretty cool. These guys don't just let anyone hang out with them. You won't see me until next month again, so let's have a good time! You ready to take on the challenge?"

The whole time, Myungsoo stayed relatively quiet as he opened his mouth every time he wanted to speak, only to be interrupted with Hoya, Sungyeol, or Sungjong speaking out of turn. Myungsoo understood a little of their conversation, making sense that there was some sort of party later in the evening with drinking involved. Myungsoo liked drinking. Wine was a favorite of his at dinners for the House of Kim, and he was fully capable of sipping more than four cups at a time in their palace.

All of this sounded like quite a fine idea in his head. He believed Taeyeon was a friendly and classy woman, expecting her to hold some sort of elegant dinner with wine to offer. 

Sungyeol tried to talk his cousin out of it. "Really Hoya, Myungsoo might not be-"

"Yes. I will be in attendance!" Myungsoo cheered.

Sungjong's eyes widened in fear. "Myungsoo, you don't understand what this entails..."

Myungsoo was persistent in going to Taeyeon's party. "Like you said yesterday Sungyeol. I need to make the best out of everything that comes towards me in life. I will go and we will have a fantastic time there. What could possibly go wrong?"

Little did Myungsoo know, partying in the 21st century was unlike anything he had ever experienced in his life.