A Time to Believe

21st Century Kim

Sungyeol and Moonsoo walked to the local market wearing white hooded cloaks around their heads, concealing their identity from the townspeople around. They left the palace, but snuck away so a guard would not follow them. The markets were crowded. Vendors of all kinds walked up and down the roads: fishers, artisans, woodworkers, farmers. A teenager pushed a cart filled with an assortment of flowers, covered by a cloth awning to shade its beauty. The flowers could be bought for decorative purposes, as well as for mixing different medicines. 

It was a typical Sunday for Moonsoo. For Sungyeol, it was a bazaar of bizarre wonder and ammenities. The town was even more boisterous than the first day he and Hoya arrived. 

"Everyone's yelling right now." The crowds amused Sungyeol.

The two were cautious of his surroundings, searching for a safe space to discuss matters. Sungyeol and Moonsoo walked like the villagers. 

Moonsoo felt haphazard, paranoid of any eyes that may recognize him. Sunggyu and King Bang Sok have frustrated him since his brother's disappearance. Daehyun's attempt to find Myungsoo led to his own arrest, so Moonsoo was ultimately left alone. He bargained security and pressure in his household for a dangerous coup for justice and closure. Moonsoo clasped his hands together as if saying a prayer, scared and hopeful of this stranger from Sweden.

The two found an empty path to one of the neighborhoods by a silver merchant. The metals sparkled in the sun, and Sungyeol covered his eyes and pulled Moonsoo quickly to a wall. "There is so much I can say, I don't even know where to start," he said to himself. Sungyeol leaned against the wall. "I know we barely met," Sungyeol whispered, his eyes desperate to be heard. "...but you have to trust me."

Myungsoo's body trembled, shaking from Sungyeol's stronghold. "How can I trust you?" Moonsoo was vulnerable; lied to and manipulated since Myungsoo's disappearance. His heart could not take anymore pain. Sungyeol could very well do the same. "Do... do you really know my brother?"

Sungyeol was taken aback. He had to provide some inkling of proof he knew information no one else would know. Moonsoo was skeptical, hesitant and shy in his voice. It was not just a matter of stating historical facts, but getting personal. Sungyeol started remembering night conversations he had with Myungsoo. One of those things had to work.

"Myungsoo's horse's name is Kkocheun, and your horse's name is Sagwa... uh, your favorite food is jeotgal," Sungyeol confidentally answered. 

Moonsoo shook his head. "Anyone in the House of Kim eats jeotgal, and my horse's name could be common knowledge-"

"Oh here's one," Sungyeol interrupted. "When you were five years of age, you and Myungsoo were learning how to row and steer boats in the Han River. Myungsoo accidentally ran his boat into yours and flipped you over. Your waist scraped against one of the rocks. Moonsoo, almost drowned. But Myungsoo jumped in and saved your life. Because of that moment, you taught yourself how to swim. Now you have a fish shaped scar on your waist."

Moonsoo's eyes widened. He brushed his fingers against his waist. The silks of his hanbok tenderly felt the exact spot of his scar. "We kept that secret hidden. Not even my mother knows what happened."

"I know, Myungsoo told me." 

Moonsoo was almost convinced Sungyeol was telling him the truth. He wanted to believe. He had to believe. "Where is my brother?"

The following information would be disclosed to him and only him. If any person overheard, news would spread throughout the kingdom. Sungyeol pressed his forehead against his, speaking at the quietest volume. "Your brother is in hiding with my family, and he is safe."

"Sunggyu and the guards found pieces of my brother's hanbok by a well. How do you explain that?"

"Your brother's hanbok ripped while trying to escape. But he got away safely. The hanbok was pink, right?"

Moonsoo's eyes lit up, tearing up. Pink. That was the color. Sungyeol, you are telling the truth. "He really is alive, is he..."

Sungyeol let out a gentle smile. "Keep it together, Moonsoo. You can't cry right now."

With good news, there was also concern. Moonsoo wiped a tear dripping down his cheek. "I am worried there may never be a right time for my brother to return home. My uncle has taken the throne, dictating every single move. I believe he even has spies in the household. Anyone who talks about Myungsoo is a traitor. My brother's bodyguard was arrested for doing so."

Sungyeol knew exactly who he was talking about. "Daehyun?"

Myungsoo nodded. "Yes."

Sungyeol leaned into Moonsoo's ear. "Your brother is in hiding and doing well. We are thinking of a good plan for him to come back to the kingdom and take his rightful throne away from Sunggyu."

"Sunggyu?" Moonsoo was shocked. "What did he do?"

"I don't want to reveal too much information at this moment, but I believe Sunggyu played a part in your father's death and blamed your brother for it. He wanted the position of Crown Prince. He also wanted Naeun."

Moonsoo shrieked, but Sungyeol pushed him against the wall and covered his mouth. Maybe relaying the news to a teen was a terrible decision.

"Moonsoo, pull yourself together!" Sungyeol realized he needed to speak carefully. Moonsoo was merely a kid compared to him. 

"Why would he do such a thing..." Moonsoo calmed down, his shoulders relaxed. Sungyeol let go of him. "How can my own cousin do this to our family?"

"Sunggyu was always jealous of Myungsoo. His accolades, his woman, his talents. He wants to be the future king of Joseon, and the best way through it is being a Crown Prince." Sungyeol was sure of it all.

Moonsoo nodded his head. This was the first time in months Moonsoo's heart was alive. "What can I do? I have very little power in this throne right now."

Sungyeol shook his head, pulling on his cloak to cover his eyes. "Nothing. You don't do anything until I give a word. Any brash act can ruin everything. Please keep our conversation a secret, Moonsoo. Do not tell Hoya you know this plan. He can't know yet."

"I do not think I met your brother yet." Everything happened so fast. Sungyeol was controlling his fate and his brother's fate. One second Myungsoo was found in a well, drowned. The next second, Myungsoo was safe and sound. It barely gave any time for Moonsoo to be emotional. "Does... does Myungsoo miss me?"

Sungyeol nodded firmly, placing his hands on Moonsoo's shoulders. "Believe me. Myungsoo misses you so much. More than you will ever know. He is going to come back for you."

Moonsoo bit his tongue. He mustered all the strength in his body to not break down and cry. The news elated Moonsoo's spirit, but Myungsoo was still nowhere to be seen. He missed his brother so much, and he would do anything to bring him back.

Moonsoo would make the biggest decision of his life: trusting Sungyeol.

"Sungyeol, can I believe you?"

Sungyeol took Moonsoo by his hands and gave him a firm handshake. Sungyeol pressed his thumb on Moonsoo's palm and wrapped his fingers around, placing his other hand on top. The hold was tight. Moonsoo had never experienced a handshake in his life, and everything was an unfamiliar touch. "...why are you grabbing my hand?" 

A handshake was as good as word. It did not matter whether Moonsoo understood the gesture, but for Sungyeol it was a connection. There was no turning back. "I swear on the House of Lee, my family name, you can believe me. Myungsoo is just as important to me as he is to you. I am going to bring him back. I swear on it."

 

(((())))

 

Myungsoo lay face down on floor.

It had been hours since he left Sungyeol's room. He could barely breath, his nose crushed on the floor from gravity. Every single body part was hurting, his head throbbing in pain. No brother ever wants to see his younger die first. I am truly sorry you had to die this way. I wish I was there to stop it. I did not know. Myungsoo sobbed uncontrollably, his howling bleeding through all four walls.

Dongwoo and Sungjong listened uncomfortably on the couch. They could barely watch the football game, feeling responsible and guilty. 

"I shouldn't have taken him there," Dongwoo lamented, shaking his head in his hands.

"You didn't know," Sungjong comforted, snuggling cozy to of Sungyeol's library books. It was an emotionally tiring day, the two close to falling asleep on the couch. Of course, they barely could with Myungsoo's crying.

"Is anyone of us going to talk to Myungsoo?" Dongwoo cleared his throat, anxious to talk to him.

"He locked the door. But do you want to try and talk to him?" Sungjong suggested, almost hopeless. "He didn't listen to me earlier, but maybe you'll have a better shot. I don't know anymore."

Dongwoo gazed down the hallway, Myungsoo almost screaming in agony. Dongwoo cracked his knuckles, wanting to give it a shot. He got up from the couch without saying a word, tiptoeing towards Sungyeol's room. 

Dongwoo gently knocked on the door.

"Myungsoo, are you ok?"

No answer. Just more crying. Dongwoo gently knocked on the door once more, hoping to get through to him.

"Hey Myungsoo, I'm sorry to hear about your brother." Dongwoo leaned against the door, the side of his mouth pressed against the cold wood. "I understand how you feel, and no one should ever ."

Myungsoo continued crying, as if he ignored everything Dongwoo said.

Dongwoo kept quiet, listening to Myungsoo's helpless cries. There was never a time when Myungsoo broke down like this during his entire time in 2014. In fact, he was almost certain Sungyeol cried more than the prince had. But now, Dongwoo saw an unfortunate side of Myungsoo he wish he never triggered. It reminded him of a moment in his past.

"My younger brother died when I he was 6," Dongwoo admitted, his throat dry.

Suddenly, Dongwoo could barely hear a sniffle. It sounded like Myungsoo completely stopped crying. The prince was listening to him.

Dongwoo opened and closed his fist, leaning his head backwards as he tried to hold back tears. He was almost choking, closing his eyes to stay strong. "My brother had a disease in his throat, and he died at a young age. It was a type of cancer... no older brother wants to experience their youngest brother leaving this world before them. You want to protect your little brother as much as possible." He cleared his throat, almost stuttering in his speech. "I'm sorry, I do not know what I am saying."

Dongwoo rested his head against the door.

Suddenly, Myungsoo slowly opened it without warning. Dongwoo jerked forward, almost falling into Sungyeol's room. Myungsoo's quick reflexes were able to grab Dongwoo quickly before hurting himself. Myungsoo sniffed, his hold tight onto Dongwoo. "I apologize, I did not realize you were standing right there."

"No, no." Dongwoo wiped his eyes with his sweatshirt sleeve. "Don't apologize."

Myungsoo's face was flushed, shining in red. His eyes glistened from tears, veins of red filling the white. Myungsoo's hair went in every direction. Up, left, right, down. It had not been combed for some time. The neck of Myungsoo's shirt was soaking wet in his own sadness. 

Through it all, Myungsoo was able to stand up and open the door.

"I am sorry about him, Dongwoo. You sound like a great brother."

Dongwoo smirked, keeping his composure and straightening his back. "I believe we can save your brother. It is not over yet," he said with certainty.

"Do you think if we go into the hot tub, we can return to when your brother was 6-years-old and save him?" Myungsoo suggested.

Dongwoo laughed. Myungsoo's naivety amused him. "I wish it was that easy. But we will at least go back to your time and help your brother. We will do it for Doryeong."

Myungsoo smiled, feeling comforted by Dongwoo's words. "Jang Doryeong?"

Dongwoo nodded.

"Ah." Myungsoo cleared his throat. The Crown Prince was all cried out, but the only thing he knew left was a touch of intimacy.

Myungsoo lunged into Dongwoo's arms and gave him a hug. A hug of friendship, which Dongwoo reciprocated. It was one of the most important things Myungsoo learned about in the modern day. With each hug he gave, it gave a different and special meaning. It showed empathy. It showed sympathy. It should trust.

It showed friendship. 

"Hey, Dongwoo! You have to come here quick."

Sungjong called out for him. Dongwoo and Myungsoo let go of each other and gathered in the living room. Sungjong was reading the history book he was previously hugging, alert and awake as if he reached a revelation. Sungjong looked up, shocked to see Myungsoo up. He jumped off the couch, sincerely excited to see him. "Myungsoo!" Sungjong covered his mouth. "I mean, you're awake."

"I was able to talk to him," Dongwoo explained. He glanced at Myungsoo and shared a quick smile. "What's going on."

Sungjong snapped out of his worry, returning to his business. He pointed at his library book, which was opened to a specific page. "We have some news." Dongwoo and Myungsoo took each side of Sungjong to share the book and read the directed page. "Do you see this?"

Dongwoo skimmed the page. "...Japan sent fire to Chandeok and declared war."

"Exactly. Japan attacked Chandeok, not Italy. That guard was wrong." Sungjong's pinky saved a spot on one of the final pages of the book. He went to that page, his pinky placed right at the point of interest. "Myungsoo, read that part."

Myungsoo blinked his eyes, reading the page slowly. Its layout confused him a little bit. "Kim Moonsoo, 55." He looked up at Sungjong. "I do not understand what that means."

"What it means is... your brother lives to be 55." Sungjong traced his finger to another part. Check out this piece. He marries a court chamberlain named Yi Jeokhye and has three children." He reads a specific excerpt. "The two would remain married until Prince Moonsoo's death, suffering from tuberculosis." Sungjong slams the book closed and throws it down on the floor. He grabs Myungsoo and shakes him. "Your brother isn't executed. He dies from old age and regular illnesses of older people. Everything is wrong!"

Myungsoo was frightened. "I do not understand what is going on!"

"This book is what history is supposed to be," Sungjong insisted.

"It means..." Dongwoo looked straight at Sungjong and put the pieces together. 

Dongwoo and Sungjong knew exactly what was going on.

"We''re changing history," they said in unison.

Sungjong slapped his forehead, disappointed in himself for not having figured this out earlier. "I can't believe I only realized this now. And I'm supposed to be the smart one."

Myungsoo was hysterical. "What?!" 

Dongwoo rubbed his chin. "The disappearances, the government, the takeovers. Myungsoo's presence is affecting the future."

"Exactly." Sungjong leaned his elbow against Myungsoo's shoulder, using him as a table as he sorted out the news. "The news about Italy and Sweden? None of this has any geographical sense. All the bad things happening in Seoul recently? Our apartment getting broken into? How could these business leaders be missing without a trace? Without Myungsoo back there, a new reality is happening. Everyone's making different decisions."

"Not only that, but Hoya and Sungyeol are there as we speak." Another technicality Dongwoo brought to light. "Can we trust they're not messing anything else up?"

"Everything got messed up the second Myungsoo arrived here. Whatever they do now can't be as bad," Sungjong reasoned.

"Well, considering Myungsoo's brother isn't supposed to die from execution, things are getting worse," Dongwoo argued.

Myungsoo scratched his head, the news barely making sense in his minimalized head. The terminology went through one head and out the other. "I still do not get it," the Crown Prince complained.

"SHUT UP, MYUNGSOO," Dongwoo and Sungjong screamed in unison.

Myungsoo pressed his lips together. He behaved patiently.

"I will explain everything to you soon," Dongwoo promised. "How many more weeks do we have until the full moon?"

"A week and a half," Sungjong answered.

This was the closest their search had ever gone. There was a new hope. "We can't give up now. We already figured out that wormhole thing you explained on the phone. Once we get there, how do we change everything?"

Sungjong had an entire plan. "First off, we need to create a list of everything that actually happened in the past so we can change everything back to normal. Read all of Sungyeol's library books, talk to history professors, every single detail we need. Also, we need to plan our travel to the Joseon dynasty carefully. We have a full moon in less than 10 days. Everything needs to be done and completed in this full moon, meaning we have a whole night to do it. If the sun rises, we are stuck in the 15th century for a whole month. Not only will everyone we know freak out, but more things will change. Everything needs to be thought of carefully and methodically."

Dongwoo nodded his head and turned to Myungsoo for a shortened explanation. "We can save your brother. Because you are here, it affects the history in the past. We need to bring you back soon for everything to go back to normal. If we bring you back safely, we can save your brother from execution."

Myungsoo's eyes widened, his heart almost jumping out of his chest from the news. "Can we accomplish this? Really?"

"Yes we can. You just have to keep acting for a little longer and keep your cool." Dongwoo turned to Sungjong. "Anything else we need to do?"

"Yes, there is one more thing." Sungjong stretched his arms out and yawned. "I'm gonna take a nap cause you all stress me out. Wake me up in 3 hours, and we'll get to work." Sungyeol scratched his eyes and walked towards his room. 

 

(((())))

 

Myungsoo returned to History 31, focused on staying in character and avoiding everyone around him. They were days away from launch back to his own time, and any slip up could make everything more complicated than it already was. Shuffling into class, Myungsoo did his part and took the farthest possible seat of the lecture hall in the corner farthest away from the front. 

Myungsoo took off one of Sungyeol's pairs of sunglasses and lowered the bill of his hat. He slouched in his chair to remain unrecognized, waiting for the entire lecture to end until.

"Your grades from the last midterm are out. Please pick up your test at the front of the classroom," Professor Lee announced.

Everyone student stood from their seats to fall in line and retrieve their test scores. Myungsoo watched as some students hugged each other from excellent results, some students hiding their grades in shame. Myungsoo waited for every student to get their grade before he picked up Sungyeol's test.

 

Woohyun jumped out of his seat and checked out his grade first, content with his test results. 92%. That was more than enough for Woohyun to be satisfied with. As other classmates grabbed their tests, Woohyun returned to his desk at the front row and placed his midterm neatly into a plastic folder sorted for all of his History 31 material. Woohyun wanted to wait for the crowd to die down so he can discuss his test personally with Professor Lee. For Woohyun, there was always room for improvement.

Majority of the class left, and Woohyun found the perfect time to discuss his test. While the class got their scores, he had plenty of time to look over his answers and see his incorrect answers. "Professor Lee," Woohyun greeted.

Professor Lee finished discussing the test with another student as Woohyun walked up to him. "Nam Woohyun, how can I help you?"

Woohyun turned the pages of his stapled exam. "I have a question on the short answer parts." His test displayed several red Xs for any historical fact mistake in the essay. He pointed to the first fact to clarify an issue. "It says here I had an incorrect fact about Kim Myungsoo."

"Let me see." Professor Lee scanned his test to check for his error. "That's right. The fact was correct, but you gave insufficient data to back it up."

"How so?"

Professor Lee saw at the corner of his eye another student's test, recognizing the name and picking it up to show Woohyun by example. He flipped to the correct page and demonstrated a proper essay. "This student took Prince Myungsoo's relationship with his father and included specific trips to Japan to reinforce their diplomatic relationship."

There was nothing Woohyun despised more than being compared to a student who exceled more than he did. Sure, he knew what his professor was asking for on the test. That did not mean he liked it. It showed him how he messed up. "I understand."

Woohyun grumbled, checking out the name and grade on the paper.

Lee Sungyeol. 98%.

...Sungyeol had a better grade than I did? 

This infuriated Woohyun, staring at a test of someone who he thought was the class idiot. First, Sungyeol received a higher grade on their essay than he did. Now, Sungyeol also beat him on their test.

His professor discarded Sungyeol's test back on the front table after showing a test comparison. "They are very easy fixes you can include for your final. You already have an overall grade of 94 in this class, so you will have absolutely no problem passing this class."

 

From above, Myungsoo saw only four kids left in the class. Myungsoo strapped his backpack and placed his sunglasses, going incognito to get the test. He got up from his seat and ran down the stairs.

"I know I'll be fine in the class, but I achieve to succeed," Woohyun started. The typical words of any studious person. "I can be better than my last grade."

"Thank you, professor." 

Woohyun turned and saw Myungsoo bowing in front of his professor and made a run towards the door. Myungsoo took Sungyeol's test and stuffed the test in his backpack as quickly as possible. 

"I'm sorry, where was I?" Woohyun was temporarily distracted by Myungsoo. "Yeah, that's right. I just want to know where I rank..."

Woohyun's eyes wandered towards the front table when he suddenly noticed Sungyeol's test was gone.

"Your rank in the class matters, but it's not a necessary need to be the number one person. So long as you keep high grades, your future is promising." The professor caught Woohyun in a daze. "Woohyun?"

Sungyeol's test is gone. "Uh, yeah. Yeah. In understand, professor."

 

(((())))

 

Hoya wanted to test out a possibility.

For the past week, Hoya worked with funds of the House of Kim and State Council to create the concept of electricity. He sat alone in a crafts room of the grounds, which had an open view of the court corral. The table sat in front of a scene of court equestrians training the horses, repeating race exercises with them. Jump. Gallop. Jump. The horses were tested on endurance for long journeys.

Hoya dozed off, his hands covering his current project. Hoya had worked with different blacksmiths in town to forge different tools out of steel. One tool was shaped like a hammer, except the head was sharp to carve indentations. Another tool was like a chopstick, meant to push certain parts together. He also requested metal shavings to resemble coils. These tools would help conduct studies for testing out an efficient way to produce electricity with the resources of the Joseon era. There was one more thing he wanted to try.

"Hoya."

Hoya was startled, almost knocking his project off the table. The corral distracted him, any slight movement or sound would scare him. "Geez, I was working on..." Hoya turned around from his seat and saw Naeun visiting him in the crafting quarters. Her look was a lot more casual for her usual hanbok attire. Her hanbok was purple with less adornment, and her makeup was plain in style. She wore a hat to shade herself from the warm sun. For as simple as she looked, it only emphasized her natural beauty to Hoya. "Naeun, my lady." Hoya bowed in front of her and smirked. "I am working on our electricity."

There was a double meaning to that, but the colloquial could not catch on.

"How is your work?" Naeun walked towards Hoya to observe the project. It was like a boxed trinket with little toys to play with. It intrigued her. "My father said your work was fascinating."

"Well, let me tell you." Hoya had an arrogant demeanor when it came to explaining his electrical and physical science prowess to women. This was only another case, but there was no one more he wanted to impress than the beautiful flower of the Joseon. "I am creating electricity like I said, but I am also trying something different." Hoya took out his smartphone, which was drained of all its battery. The water affected the warranty and longevitity of the phone. "I am trying to also create an electrical current to charge my smartphone."

Naeun grinned, excited to see the phone. "You are very smart, Hoya. I remember when you showed me the song on it several days ago. A kepop song."

"K-pop song." Hoya sighed at his phone. "If this damn thing worked, we could be listening to much sweeter music."

"What does that mean again?" Naeun wondered.

"Korean popular music. My brother and I introduced it to the Swedish." 

It was all a lie, of course.

Naeun was more than impressed, but she kept her comments to herself. 

Hoya knew Naeun was holding back with her words. The sudden silence alluded to it. "Anything you wanted to say?"

Naeun was surprised, shaking her head. "Nothing. I am just very interested in your work."

"Are you interested in me as well?" Hoya asked.

It was a double meaning Naeun understood.

"Hoya, I am marrying Sunggyu. I hope you understand."

"What I understand is we will court each other if I can complete this electricity. Don't you see the spark between us?"

Naeun's cheeks flushed. "You are too much, Lee Howon."

Hoya motioned to grab Naeun's waist, but as he almost touched it he stopped himself. Naeun caught his hand slipping and turned away slightly. "What are you doing?" Naeun asked.

It was at that point Hoya realized he may have taken things a little too far. Now he made Naeun uncomfortable. He retracted his hand and shook his head. "I apologize Naeun for the advance. It was inappropriate for me to try and hold you."

"Do you believe I am an easy person?"

Hoya stuttered his words. "No, no Naeun. Never!"

"They say the sly fox is usually a woman, but maybe there is one right in front of me." Naeun was upset. "You do not treat me like that."

Hoya fell silent. Naeun insulted his character, which hurt him more than being constantly rejected by her. "Naeun, I'm sorry. I will continue with my work. Please, accept my apology. If you don't tell anyone, I promise I will not treat you like that ever again." Hoya grabbed onto his project and diligently worked, recovering from the awful move.

Naeun was disappointed in Hoya, but did not want to leave him. "I will watch you while you do your work," she insisted.

Hoya nodded and behaved, continuing on with his work for electricity. He was willing to accept any ounce of Naeun forgiving him.

Naeun stayed by his side, watching Hoya. It was a strange feeling, but she did not want to leave Hoya with their relationship turned sour by one conversation. Naeun wanted to stay and make sure everything was ok. Her presence was the forgiveness to ease their small argument. The only sounds made from the clamor of tools. Yet, the silence was comforting for the both of them.

Hoya's silence showed Naeun he was capable of respect.

Naeun's silence showed Hoya she was still next to him.

 

(((())))

 

Myungsoo and Sungjong hit a nearby convienient store by their university after their classes ended.

"Good afternoon," Myungsoo greeted the store clerk, bowing respectfully once more to the merchant.

The store clerk stared at him. No response.

"I swear Myungsoo, you don't have to do that," Sungjong groaned, picking up a shopping basket.

Snaking through the aisles, Sungjong picked up a container of kimbap and two bottles of Milkis for a lazy dinner. With plenty of work needed to get Myungsoo back, Sungjong had no time to cook. Store-bought deliciousness would be his diet for the upcoming days. Myungsoo followed like a dog, sipping on his matcha green tea frappucino. He was tagging along for the fun.

"I have food, drink... do we want anything else?" Sungjong stopped in one of the aisles and turned to Myungsoo. "You want anything for dinner?"

Myungsoo scanned the shelves in search of a potential snack. His options included dried fish, chocolate, chips, and fruit candy. None of particular interest in that moment. He looked beyond Sungjong's shoulder, a view of clear glass doors holding colorful boxes of frozen goodness. "Can we have ice cream?" 

Myungsoo's eyes lit up to all the ice cream in the store. Artifically flavored frozen goodness, something Myungsoo had yet to try.

"No." A flat answer from Sungjong.

"Wait, why not?!" Myungsoo acted like a child. "If you recall, I have been drinking your smooths and frappucinos and tea with ice. I demand you permit me to eat iced food."

Sungjong groaned, another explanation impending. "First of all, it's smooth-ies. Second of all, ice cream just gets way too complicated, and I don't trust you eating it without making a mess."

The two of them went through a new aisle to closer inspect the assorted chip bags available.

Suddenly, a chime played through the store speakers.

A new visitor.

Sungjong raised his head to see who arrived to the convenient store party. Oh god, is he walking to us? "Myungsoo, Woohyun at 12 o' clock."

Myungsoo was confused. "I thought it was 6 o' clock?"

"No, that's not what I..."

"Hey Myungsoo. Sungjong." Woohyun walked up to the both of them, twirling his backpack straps around his thumbs. His face was firm as a rock, as if he had no time to joke around. "How are you two?"

"What I meant was Woohyun is there... nevermind," Sungjong grumbled to himself. "Fine, how are you Woohyun?"

"Good." Woohyun turned to Myungsoo, raising a suspicious eyebrow. "How are you Myungsoo? How did you do on your test?"

"I did well," Myungsoo answered. The prince rolled his eyes and continued to focus on something else. Woohyun was the last person he cared to converse with. He grabbed a bag of candy, inspecting the ingredients and quantifying the calorie and nutrition facts on the wrapper. "I barely comprehend the math to figure out how many of these gummies I can eat in one day. Calories confuse me."

"You can buy that if you want," Sungjong encouraged, grabbing the bag from Myungsoo and looking at its contents. "It looks good."

Woohyun grew frustrated. Myungsoo and Sungjong did not care to take his presence seriously, but Woohyun would not have confronted them if it was not the fact. He was not one to be taken as a fool, and Myungsoo's disinterest in him was insulting. "Myungsoo," Woohyun grunted. 

Myungsoo and Sungjong turned to Woohyun. The tense atmosphere concerned Sungjong, who stood in the middle of the situation. There was one commonality between Woohyun and Myungsoo, and that was History 31. "Why are you still here?" Sungjong intervened.

Woohyun took a big gulp. "Did you take Sungyeol's test from the test pile?"

Sungjong turned to Myungsoo, worried where this topic would take them.

"Yeah, I did." Myungsoo admitted with a cool demeanor. "Sungyeol is still sick. Why?"

"Nothing, nothing." Something was clearly bothering Woohyun, but he skirted around it. He grabbed a container of pocky and pointed the box at Myungsoo in suspicion. He was struggling to find the words to say.

"If it's nothing, why are you still here?" Sungjong barked, dropping his shopping basket on the floor.

Woohyun tapped his feet anxiously. There was something else, and he spent the afternoon bothered by it. Woohyun had never felt so infuriated by a single fact, a single grade. There was no way Sungyeol was that smart. "You're up to something, and Sungyeol is involved."

Sungjong panicked. Why would he think something's wrong? Woohyun suspected something, and if he figured everything out it not only ruined Sungyeol's prospects as a history student, but history itself.

Myungsoo kept collected. "Why would you suspect anything?" he simply asked.

"I haven't seen Sungyeol in history for the past couple of weeks, and he usually sits with you. I saw you grab Sungyeol's after class," Woohyun accused. 

"Sungyeol is sick and I grabbed his midterm. I have my midterm as well. What exactly do you believe Sungyeol and I are up to?" Myungsoo raised his chin.

"You two are changing history grades so I don't get the highest score. There's no way Sungyeol got a better score than me."

This was not the first time Woohyun rubbed Myungsoo the wrong way. Woohyun has spoken ill-will about his father's character in History 31, and his pompous demeanor is low on his regards. It was also easier for Myungsoo to dislike him because Sungyeol hated him for stealing Taeyeon. Woohyun was obsessed with beating everyone, and Myungsoo was sick of it. "Why are you acting this way? I suppose you received a lower grade than expected," Myungsoo chimed. "If you feel unsatisfactory, you can always hire a private tutor."

"Woah." Sungjong had never been impressed with Myungsoo's comebacks as he did that moment, fighting with words against Woohyun and keeping his composure. 

"Excuse me?" Woohyun's voice cracked, taken aback by the words. "Unsatisfactory?"

"Then I see no issue to attend to. Why do you get mad if Sungyeol gets one or two grades better than you? You are still a top student. Are you worried about your grades, or are you trying to beat Sungyeol because you are now in a relationship with his ex-girlfriend?"

Woohyun and Sungjong were absolutely speechless.

Sungjong displaying a smirk, never having been so proud of Myungsoo with a successful comeback insult. He felt the Crown Prince was learning from him, and he never felt more proud. Woohyun's face grew pale, stunned and drained of any dignity he had. 

Myungsoo straightened out his jacket and picked up the shopping basket. "Now on behalf of the House of Kim, I banish thee from this store and order you to never come here ever again. If you choose to harrass me one more time, I will see it to have you arrested for disturbance." Myungsoo turned a cheek, taking their basket and leaving the convenient store.

 

Sungjong laughed nervously, poking Woohyun in the gut. "Ha ha... I should... I haven't paid for those yet." Sungjong flashed a smile and immediately ran out the door to chase after Myungsoo.

The store clerk grimly stared at Woohyun, as if he was the cause and bane of everything.

Woohyun was left in the aisles, distraught by the entire interaction. "The way this guy talks to me..." He shook his head. "Who the hell does he think he is, a ing prince... he's gonna get it. I'm gonna find out your secret, Myungsoo."