Because

21st Century Kim

The palace bridge was the epitome of ephemeral pleasure, once Sungyeol shared by himself. Under the cresent moon, Sungyeol leaned against railings after an eventful dinner with Officer Sunwe. The frogs were mostly sleeping, although some made minimal noise throughout the evening. Sungyeol could hear the ripples from the pond, the stars and moon twinkling in the reflection. Everything was a shade of blue, and the mood was only transient. Things would interrupt him.

"How was the dinner?"

Sungyeol turned around and saw Hoya approach him, perching next to him on the railing. Hoya leaned against his palm, tracing lily pads with his other hand. "I overheard a lot of good things about it."

Sungyeol shrugged his shoulders. "I think I did well. Officer Sunwe really liked me and asked me a lot of information." He chuckled. "I almost wanted to shake his hand. I forget that this is supposed to be 600 years back."

"You and I both."

"I'm almost positive Sunggyu doesn't like me." Nothing new, cause I don't like him either.

"Sunggyu has an attitude problem, and I'm not sure what it is," Hoya joked. "Something is up his ."

"Yeah! You, cause you're trying to steal his girl." Sungyeol rolled his eyes and laughed. "What do you expect?"

Hoya smirked. "Hey, her dad loves me. I'm trying to invent electricity here... and a spark between me and Naeun-"

"Just shut the hell up."

Hoya and Sungyeol basked in a temporary silence. The frog ribbits filled the brief nothingness in conversation.

Suddenly, Sungyeol felt homesick. Desperately missing 2014. Happiness was only passing, and at the end of the day he was stuck in an era with no solution or way to get out. He wondered if people even missed him. "I miss Sungjong," Sungyeol admitted.

Hoya sighed. "I miss that booger, too."

The House of Lee was loved and appreciated, but nothing could fill that void of family and friends. 

"I miss Dongwoo, too. I miss my mom. I miss my dad." Sungyeol's list went on, mentioning every single person in his life. From the Starbucks barista to the guy who works on the subway. He even talked about how much he missed Woohyun and seeing him angry in class.

There was just one more person he had to mention.

"...I also miss Myungsoo."

It almost baffled Hoya how much Sungyeol knew about Myungsoo, personally. Sungyeol knew the prince's dreams, his relationships, his interests. More than a history book could explain. "This prince guy is really special to you, huh?" Hoya chimed in, stretching out his neck and adjusting his posture. "Then again, if you're hanging out with a guy for two months you're bound to make friends." 

Sungyeol stared down at the water, water Myungsoo could have stared at before. Everything in the palace became a sentimental moment for Sungyeol. He knew everything would be ok, but after being separated for weeks it almost scared Sungyeol. It scared Sungyeol how much Myungsoo meant to him. "Yeah, the guy is really special to me, I guess."

"Why?" Hoya wondered. "I'm curious."

Sungyeol had a lot of reasons he was special. A lot of reasons why he cared so much about this prince. The animals, critters, nature around him would be witness to this reason. "Because. He just is."

That was the only reason he truly needed.

Hoya nodded his head and patted Sungyeol on the back. It was all platonic to him, Hoya barely recognizing a deeper connection between the two. Nonetheless, Sungyeol was feeling down and all Hoya could do was provide support. "Don't worry, this will all get figured out. Don't lose sight on what's important. We're here so that we can give Myungsoo justice and bring him back. Believe, ok? Quantum physics will solve this,"

Sungyeol could not hide a smile, elbowing his cousin for that comment. "I guess quantum physics will solve all of my problems," he said sarcastically.

 

(((())))

 

"Sungjong! Lee Sungjong!" Myungsoo laid a moist towelette atop Sungjong's head. He hovered over Sungjong's unconscious body, energy and sanity out. Myungsoo fanned a library book in his face, the pages creating a gust of wind enough to stir.

"What..." Sungjong scrunched his nose. A peculiar smell filled his nostrils, one of sweet soy sauce and fish. Sungjong felt he also smelled a tinge of mandarin rind. He sniffed his nose, the delicious aroma strong enough to even taste on his tongue. "Mandarin chicken..." Sungjong hummed, scratching his head. His fingers met with the wet towel, which prompted him to sit up and grab the towel off his forehead. He opened his eyes and stared at towel, squeezing it in his hand for the water to drip down, colored with a light brown. 

"What the hell, Myungsoo!" Sungjong screamed  furiously, throwing the towel on the floor.

Myungsoo was clueless. "I was trying to help you, Sungjong!"

"You used the kitchen rag I used for last night's dinner, for my head!" Sungjong pointed straight at the cloth. Myungsoo took a second look, only realizing now that the white towelette contained several brown stains on the edges and center. 

"You fainted, and I did not know what else to do!" Myungsoo explained, putting his hands out to calm him down. "You fell right in front of the door."

Sungjong massaged the back of his head. "That would explain why I feel a bump here." Sungjong dealt with his second blow in a month. "What happened anyways?" 

"Hey Sungjong."

Sungjong turned his head to catch Taeyeon, of all people, sitting right on his couch and casually reading one of Sungyeol's library books. The same library books he had been slaving over for days. Taeyeon closed the book and sandwiched it between her hands. "I hope you're feeling ok."

Taeyeon was the final topping to Sungjong's long list of "People Who Might As Well Kill Me".

"Taeyeon..." Sungjong muttered, staying on the floor in further confusion. Whatever was going on, Sungjong knew that Myungsoo more than likely had something to do with it. "What... are... you... doing... here?" Forcing a smile, Sungjong talked through his teeth.

"I walked Myungsoo home today after we hung out," Taeyeon explained.

"You... two... hung... out?" Sungjong grumbled. Myungsoo and Taeyeon worried for Sungjong's health, but Sungjong worried for his cover. The inexplicable and obvious rule not to hang out with Taeyeon, and for this specific reason. Sungyeol is gone, and Taeyeon cannot discover the truth. "I'm feeling a lot better now, but I think I just need some sleep and time by myself," he stirred, dissuading Taeyeon out of his apartment. 

Taeyeon clasped her hands together. "Can I say hi to Sungyeol before I leave? I heard he was sick."

"You shouldn't bother him because he is sick," Sungjong lectured, standing up to push Taeyeon out the door. "Besides, he's not here right now. He's with Dongwoo..."

The door swung open for Dongwoo's arrival.

The exact person no one wanted to see.

"Dongwoo?!" Sungjong knocked Taeyeon over to the side and grabbed onto Dongwoo's shoulders. "What the hell are you doing here?!"

"Are you ok? The phone was still on when I overheard Myungsoo saying you fainted," Dongwoo asked worriedly. 

Sungjong groaned, close to slapping his forehead except for the fact that his head was already in excruciating pain. Dongwoo ruined the plan, and with Taeyeon staring back at Sungjong with wide and confused eyes, conflicting stories almost ruined the facade. The lie. Sungyeol has not been here for a while, and Myungsoo is not who she thinks he is. "I'm fine... where is... Sungyeol?" Sungjong nudged Dongwoo on his side, motioning his shoulder in Taeyeon's direction.

"What? Sungyeol isn't with me," Dongwoo scratched his head.

"But Sungjong said-" Taeyeon was interrupted by a ringtone, her purse vibrating. Taeyang's "Where U At" played repeatedly as she searched for her phone. Myungsoo hummed on the side, his first time listening to the song. Taeyeon grabbed her phone and answered. "Hello?"

Inaudible mumbling sounded in the room, the phone volume loud enough to hear portions of the conversation.

"Oh, Woohyun!" Taeyeon answered. A smile flashed on her face.

"Woohyun," Dongwoo and Sungjong whispered in unison, looking back at each other and nodding in affirmation. This was the break they needed to get Taeyeon out of their apartment. 

"Yes, I'll be there soon." Taeyeon hung up her phone and dropped it back in her purse, zipping it up and inching towards the door. Taeyeon appeared flustered, in a rush to get somewhere. "I'm sorry guys, but Woohyun needs me to work on our project." Taeyeon gave a respectful bow for her exit. "I will talk to you guys later." She turns to Myungsoo, showing her gratitude in one more bow. "I had a great time hanging out. Let's do this again."

The Crown Prince bowed at 90 degrees, his dimples shown in his genuine smile. "You're welcome, Taeyeon."

But little did he know the potential repercussions of his hangout. Dongwoo and Sungjong sighed in relief, their charade almost exposed. Everything almost slipped through the cracks, and they have yet to successfully switch Sungyeol and Myungsoo back to their respective eras.

Taeyeon saw her way out the door, slowly closing on her like molasses. Dongwoo, Myungsoo, and Sungjong watched the door. The second the handle clicked closed, the whole apartment would explode into chaos.

"YOU HUNG OUT WITH TAEYEON!" Sungjong screamed, kicking the kitchen rag across the room and arching back into the kitchen. His fists were closed, lurching towards Myungsoo to punch him in the face.

Myungsoo staggered back, tripping backwards and landing on his . He slid into the kitchen as Sungjong followd him. His wrath shook his heart, beating at a speed faster than when his father died. Dongwoo quickly grabbed Sungjong by the shoulders and picks him up. His frame light as a feather to throw him down on the couch and suppress his anger. Myungsoo flinched, breathing heavily and unsure what he did wrong. "I am sorry, but Taeyeon brought it upon me!"

"You can't hang out with Taeyeon because Sungyeol is here, god damnit! You almost gave us away," Sungjong's voice muffled on the couch pillow. He lifted his head and barely made a word out as Dongwoo pinned him down. 

"Myungsoo, I understand you're a social and curious person," Dongwoo started, "But you can't do this right now. We can't do anything until Hoya and Sungyeol come back." There needed to be a voice of reason, a translator of Sungjong's anger.

Myungsoo turned, the dirty kitchen rag next to him. Myungsoo seeked comfort in it, holding it and twisting it around to ease his tension. Myungsoo could barely breathe, faulting himself for the mess. "Taeyeon saw me and wanted to get to know me. I know that I made a mistake and I apologize profusely for it. Taeyeon was a nice person and I knew you refused me to spend time with her, but she was nice." Myungsoo threw the rag away from him, shaking his head in shame. "This is difficult for me. I do not know what I am doing."

Sungjong stopped resisting, calming down and taking deep breaths. Dongwoo felt Sungjong buckling down and let him go to stretch himself out. As angry as Sungjong wanted to get, he knew that Myungsoo did not understand a lot of things. Taking it little-by-little was almost impossible because the extremity of the situation, but they could not throw information at his face and expect him to get everything. Sungjong turned around and sat himself on the couch, grabbing onto a pillow to hug his anger out. "It's ok Myungsoo. It's been a stressful time, as you know."

Myungsoo pushed himself off the floor and nodded. "I understand."

"What is our damage control? How are we right now?" Dongwoo asked for an update and sat on the couch next to Sungjong, patting him on the head. "Are you gonna be ok?

Sungjong side-eyed his friend, groaning before he continued. "All I know is that the full moon might play an important part in this process."

"Why is that?"

"I'm a little distracted right now, but I can explain tomorrow. Sungyeol and Hoya still gone, Myungsoo still here, Taeyeon prodding in, and now our government is gone to . Time is at the essence, and I'm really close to figuring out this mystery. I just need everyone to cooperate." Sungjong pointed his hands at Myungsoo and urged him to listen carefully. "Everything is strange, I know. But right now, please do not talk to Taeyeon. It's already difficult covering for Sungyeol as it is, and we can't have more people figure out what is going on. Do you get it?"

Myungsoo agreed. "Yes, I get it."

 

(((())))

 

It was a new day.

Sungyeol curiously strolled the palace halls in search for something, anything, to amuse him on an afternoon in the Joseon Era. Sungyeol involved himself in many interesting experiences and made the best of his presence. Talking to Officer Sunwe was the biggest highlight of his stay. For the first time, Sungyeol felt the worth of his history major in a pivotal time for Korea. If he could help out the future and help the country create more allies, he would be ever more glad.

But even those climactic moments never lated more than two hours. The rest of his time was spent alone.

Do not get me wrong. Sungyeol loved being alone and reflecting on everything, and hearing Hoya talk about his hot pursuit was too much for him to handle. But even  isolation was tiresome. It brought loneliness, heartache sometimes. It also brought pure boredom.

The rest of the day, Sungyeol lounged around the palace trying to find anything interesting. As a guest, the royal family kept to themselves unless there was a court meal. That left Hoya and Sungyeol a lot of alone time, which would take a heavy toll on Sungyeol, who more than anything wanted his phone to work. If he was forced to live here for much longer, he needed more entertainment. 

I am bored out of my freaking mind.

Sungyeol picked a hanbok wedgie and dragged down the halls, hoping to create excitement in his downtime. 

Maybe I will go to the market.

Sungyeol fixed his wedgie once more and headed towards the main entrance of the palace. Before he could even reach there, Sungyeol noticed King Bang Sok talking down to a child. A child who looked younger than himself. The tone of their voices sounded serious, as if the child did something wrong. Sungyeol hurried behind a nearby column and hid behind it. The conversation unfolded.

"You do not talk about him ever again." This was a deep voice. It sounds like King Bang Sok.

"It is getting difficult for me, and I have never missed him so much."

"How can a member expect to be the future prince if he cannot let go of the past? He was found dead. It is over."

"I want to see the body myself. I want to see what Daehyun saw. Please, sir."

"This is why my son is the Crown Prince, and not you. You cannot handle any pressure."

Silence. A silence which made even Sungyeol uncomfortable.

"If you speak about him one more time, I will order you into solitary confinement. Do you understand?"

Following the latest order, Sungyeol heard footsteps moving into the distance. Sungyeol took a deep breath, thankful that they were not heading in his direction. He stood frozen, realizing this was the first time he ever witnessed a major conflict on the palace grounds. The Joseon life had unpleasant times, and Sungyeol realized if you had it bad, there were very few places to escape for a haven.

I think it is over. Sungyeol gulped, removing himself from the column and back to the entrance corridor. 

That was when a body ran into his shoulder, almost knocking him over. 

"Hey," Sungyeol corrected himself for colloquialism. "I mean, please be mannered." He brushed himself off to take a look at the suspect.

It was a younger person, looking like he barely entered adolescence. He almost looked like Sungyeol when he was in high school, lanky and awkward. The kid sported a black hanbok with red and gold embroidery. His hair was black and a little ruffled, his cheeks puffy and round. Yet, he still had a fairly chiseled chin. 

He almost resembled Myungsoo in a way.

"I apologize," the kid knelt in front of him, nervously bowing in front of Sungyeol. 

"Hey, you stop that." Sungyeol grabbed his shoulders and picked him up off the floor. Quite frankly, he was tired of the bowing. "You don't have to bow in front of me, I'm not a special person or anything."

"As the royal family, I must bow for any mistake I made," he apologized. "I am Kim Moonsoo, son of the late King Myunghae."

The kid was a nervous wreck, and Sungyeol could see right through it. "Don't worry, I'm only a guest. And I don't care..." Wait, Moonsoo? "Did you just say your name is Kim Moonsoo?"

"Yes I did."

Holy , this is Myungsoo's brother! It all started to make sense, and their likeness was too uncanny. They basically had the same exact face and body type. The only difference would be Myungsoo's more confident personality, but he could not fault a mere teen who just finished puberty. "I have heard many things about you. Prince Myungsoo is your brother."

Moonsoo stared down as his feet, almost as a way to refuse to talk about the tough subject. Moonsoo has been under major scrutiny since his brother's alleged passing, and at the palace it felt he was against the whole world. "Yes," he said gently. "I must go."

Moonsoo attempted to pass Sungyeol, but Sungyeol stepped in front of the agitated prince to stop him for one more moment. Sungyeol realized Moonsoo was the one in conversation with King Bang Sok, and they probably talked about Myungsoo. There was Moonsoo, who had been suffering months without his older brother. All of this clearly taking a toll on his physical and mental health. While Sungyeol had been with Myungsoo the entire time, taking him around modern-day Seoul and living the life, his family dealt with the afterburn of their kin disappearing.

Sungyeol felt terrible, seeing Moonsoo in this position. It was not right for him to interrupt, but his emotions got to him. "Are you ok?" Sungyeol asked.

Shifting his head from side-to-side, Moonsoo did not know how to answer that. Sungyeol was exactly what he stated he was: a guest. Moonsoo owed nothing to him. Every bone was jittery, but all he knew was he wanted time alone. "I am ok. Please excuse me."

Moonsoo bowed one more time, standing on both of his feet. Staring down at the hardwood floors, he maneuvered around Sungyeol.

"Wait!" Sungyeol grabbed onto his arm, turning Myungsoo's brother back around forcefully.

"Excuse me!" This almost angered Moonsoo, as it was definitely not proper etiquette to treat a Kim, especially a future prince, in that manner. "I will call the guards to take you away."

Sungyeol held onto Moonsoo's arm firmly, recognizing the strength and weakness in him. Moonsoo was tired. Tired of ridicule from the interim king, who is also his uncle. Tired of the expectations of him, especially living solo in a household under Prince Sunggyu's uneasy shadow. Tired of being alone.

It was out of line for Sungyeol to be doing what he is doing, and if anyone else had seen him or watched him almost harrass Moonsoo, he would be walking on death row. But Sungyeol needed to take a risk, and he needed to provide assurance for the future of the Kim family. He truly believed he was doing the right thing. What he did not realize was by implicating more people from the past into his complicated web, the whole story was about to get scarier for the 1400s and 2014. But that did not matter. 

"Moonsoo, what if I told you your brother was ok?" Sungyeol declared.

Moonsoo's eyes widened in shock. This news came from nothing. After a public berating from his uncle for talking about his brother, all of a sudden a secret man from the hallway was telling him Myungsoo was ok. Moonsoo did not know what to believe. This stranger was staring straight into his eyes with genuity, and all Moonsoo knew was that he wanted it to be true. "You... you know Myungsoo?" he stuttered.

The family ties were coming together in Sungyeol's head. There was a clear divide between the proper Kim dynasty and Kim Bang Sok, and Sungyeol knew Kim Bang Sok was suppressing Moonsoo for a reason. Sunggyu killed King Myunghae, and maybe King Bang Sok knew the truth. The whole Bang Sok branch was full of lies and deceit. But in the midst of tragedy there was a light, and Sungyeol wanted Moonsoo to see it.

Sungyeol was ready to take Sunggyu down, and he finally found the help to get him there. 

"Come with me to the marketplace right now, and we can talk about your brother."

 

(((())))

 

Dongwoo had to mend the distress Sungjong feels for Myungsoo. Dongwoo used the following weekend for a friendly outing out of the usual apartment get together. The three entered the premises of Changdeok Palace, one of five main quarters of the royal family. Unlike Gyeongbok Palace this was not a sleeping quarters for Myungsoo. It was a fair ground for the Kim family to spend their day before heading home,

It almost felt like yesterday Myungsoo was walking through the grounds with his mother. Staring in awe at the main building, The building as pristine as he remembered, the orange and green colors crisp and bright. The country had successfully preserved the palace, and for that he was grateful. "It was just as I remembered it," Myungsoo smiled, his eyes sparkling in awe.

"How did you find this place?" Sungjong wondered.

Dongwoo shrugged his shoulders. "A getaway was needed, and I looked up a place in history our Compassionate Prince would have been to."

Sungjong pretended not to care, staring at his phone to get news updates on the Korean government. The most recent colonization of Sweden affected many stocks that Sungjong played with. "Damnit," Sungjong swiped to the left, his stock for Caffe Bene down by 68.6%. 

Beyond that, Myungsoo almost skipped in front of the Changdeok Palace. It almost seemed like a dream that he was once again in a place he lived in his own time, but what intrigued him the most was how beautiful everything still appeared. Returning to Namdaemun and Gyeongbok, it amazed Myungsoo how modern architecture seemed simple against the intricacies and woodwork of Joseon palaces. In the industrial center of Korea, the nation still cared about its history and what brought them to where they are today. It was a tribute, and it made Myungsoo hopeful for Korea's future.

"Is this place just as you remembered?" Dongwoo asked, grinning at Myungsoo's glee.

"Whatever you do, don't get us kicked out again," Sungjong lectured, placing his phone in his back pocket. "Alright, let's walk around here. It seems nice enough."

Dongwoo patted Sungjong on the back. "Hey, this place is supposed to have a really nice garden spot we can check out."

"Nice, I want to check it out." Sungjong kicked the concrete floors, taking a deep breath as he took in the sight. The three of them passed the main building and headed towards the palace gardens.

Sungjong had to admit, Chandeok was as majestic as the picture Dongwoo sent on his phone. Ever since spending time with Myungsoo and researching information on Myungsoo's family, Sungjong sparked a small interest in history.

Remembering the first time he took Myungsoo to Gyeongbok, the Crown Prince almost had him arrested. It hit Sungjong for the first time that as the story unfolds and he discovers the answer to this cluster, this might be one of the last times he will see Myungsoo in such an animated state over his old breathing grounds. It almost hurt Sungjong that this odd journey is almost over, but he refused to let it show.

"You look a little lost in thought," Dongwoo wondered. "What's on your mind?"

"Nothing," Sungjong cracked, clearing his throat before he got too sentimental in front of Myungsoo. "This stupid Sweden thing plummeted my stocks."

The three of them arrived in the secret garden area, a small reflective pond surrounded by beautiful cherry blossoms. Their pink petals appeared like water colors, trickling down into the still waters and staying afloat for minutes before they sank down into the shallow depths. The gardens only had a single vantage point, as the walkways were guarded by palace guards in blue and purple hanboks. Dongwoo, Sungyeol, and Sungjong cautiously approached the edge of the pond, standing next to gray stones.

"I was doing some research about this place," Dongwoo started, referencing a note on his phone. "Part of this building was burned down a long time ago. I don't know if you were there when it happened. I think it happened a lot later."

"I do not recall any of that happening," Myungsoo hummed.

"It happens way after Myungsoo," Sungjong answered. "Before World War II, and the Japanese burned it down before we rebuilt some parts. I read about it in one of Sungyeol's library books."

"That is not true." The three of them turned to a security guard standing in the same vicinity, his stature tall as if you can trust his word. "It was not the Japanese who burned it down, but the Italians." 

"The Italians?" Sungjong was almost dumbfounded, something was not right. That wasn't in the history book... "Really?"

The security guard nodded. "That is correct." He continued to stand there and kept to himself.

"Italian?" Myungsoo wondered. "What is an Italian?"

Korea and Italy had no connections during Myungsoo's time in the Joseon. 

"I didn't know that," Dongwoo remarked.

"That's not right." Sungjong's eyebrows furrowed. He crossed his arms, staring intently at an emblem on one of the gray stones. Sungjong has read almost every book inside and out. This information was ingrained in his mind. He wanted to challenge the security guard, but it did not seem like proper etiquette. Sungjong did not want to get kicked out of two historical sites. "I can show you guys the book later. That doesn't seem right at all. Why does everything seem out of control..."

"Hey, that is my family crest." Myungsoo pointed at the emblem Sungjong was staring at, breaking his gaze. "Kim. That is my namesake."

This signature emblem was crafted by Min Sang, an artisan who specialized in wood carving and calligraphy. He was a friend of Jang Jungho, the carpet seller, members of the highest society of artists in the Joseon. The detailed carvings were unique, the hangul characters much more decorated than today. The simplicity of the name, Kim, yet endearing to the eye. It was beautiful writing and work.

This temporarily distracted Sungjong's confusion. "Wow, even I gotta admit that's really nice."

"That is really nice." Dongwoo squinted his eyes, more writing on the stone. "Who is Moonsoo?"

"What? Moonsoo?" Myungsoo's heart jumped. My brother, my own flesh and blood. It had been months since he had last seen him, and the first encounter with the stone almost warmed his heart. "Moonsoo is my brother."

"Oh, really? His name is on that stone, under the emblem," Dongwoo pointed out. His chin followed the words: Kim Moonsoo. "There it says Kim Moonsoo, executed." Dongwoo had a double take. "Executed?"

"Executed?" Sungjong questioned. "Wait, what does that mean?"

Executed? Why would those blasphemous words be placed next to my brother's name. "I do not understand." Myungsoo gently pushed Dongwoo aside and checked out the stone. The words were carefully carved, nothing looked out of placed. Centered. The word "executed" placed right under his own brother's name. "What does this mean?"

Sungjong glanced at the stone and read it to himself. Kim Moonsoo, Executed. What is this? It's as if this is a...

A grim shiver sent through Sungjong's spine. He suddenly knew, grabbing onto Dongwoo's arm to cue their exit. "We need to leave this place right now."

"Wait, why?" Dongwoo whispered.

Sungjong took a solemn breath. "I... I think this is his brother's grave."

Dongwoo covered his gaping mouth, his heart dropping. "Oh my god."

Myungsoo reread the words to himself, crossing his arms as he stared at the stone. The whole world stopped around him, time frozen. It was him and his brother, the closest he had been to him since Myungsoo left. Moonsoo was almost a tangible state. Moonsoo's presence was there, but he was not.

There were only words, and it was that point that Myungsoo discovered the truth for the first time.

It was unsettling, bringing Myungsoo to his knees.

"Moonsoo, my brother..." A tear fell down Myungsoo's delicate cheek. "My brother was executed."

Dongwoo shook his head, kneeling down next to Myungsoo. He felt the blame for bringing Myungsoo to this helpless state. Dongwoo could see Myungsoo's tears collect into a puddle, warranting his own eyes to tear up a little. "Myungsoo, I... I didn't know..." 

Dongwoo struggled to speak, and Myungsoo did not let him continue. Instead, the prince embraced him and dug his heavy head into his shoulder. Myungsoo screamed, crying hard into Dongwoo's shoulder. The reality settled, and it was a truth Myungsoo wished he never experienced. His own brother would eventually be executed for reasons unknown, just as history spoke for Myungsoo.

Sungjong watched the two of them cry.

It felt like a knife churned in Sungjong's heart. He barely understood Myungsoo's pain, but Sungjong felt he could have avoided this reality for him. How do you tell a prince that his brother will eventually be executed? Sungjong was speechless, trying to think of a comforting word.

Nothing came out.