Coming Home

21st Century Kim

It was a cloudy day, purple and midnight haze to block the constellations in the sky. Shining from above was a single moon through the patch of clouds, through its pattern of orbit revealing a half moon on a gloomy eve. Sungyeol and Myungsoo arrived to their apartment neighborhood after an hour and a half of travelling across the town. 

The grief on wanting to return home weighed Myungsoo's heart down to the point it almost detached to the bottom of his stomach stomach. As much as the Crown Prince tried to supress it and enjoy his time, he reached his breaking point at the seminar. He missed his family, his life was changing right before him, and he wanted to hold onto whatever dignity he had left and return home before it was too late. Myungsoo pushed his limits, thinking he could do anything and learn everything. It was better for his mental state to leave Seoul National University as fast as possible, but the way back gave more time for him to dwell on his sadness. Now he also carried the burden of ruining Sungyeol's time with Taeyeon. 

They finally arrived at their destination, a barbecue restaurant with several banners hanging along the roof edge for galbi and beer. Two large windows showed the inside, a smoky scene of grilled deliciousness. Dongwoo and Sungjong sat at a table at the far end of the restaurant, already started on their first batch of meat.

As they approached the entrance, Sungyeol paused and stuck his hand out to stop Myungsoo from moving. "Myungsoo, can I tell you something?"

Myungsoo listened respectfully, wondering what Sungyeol could possibly tell him. "Yes, go ahead." 

Sungyeol took a deep breath, composing his words carefully. What do I tell you Myungsoo... "I wanted to say this before we go inside..." He stopped himself.

"You can tell me anything." Myungsoo crossed his arms, leaning on one foot as he kept a slouched posture.

Struggling to speak, Sungyeol cleared his throat in hopes it would give him what exactly he needed to say. "It's just... I don't know if this could possibly help you, but since I've gotten to college I haven't seen my parents in a really long time. Going to school and living in my apartment was the first time that I've ever been by myself. I was so used to seeing my mom, dad, Sungjong around every single day. I was annoyed by it, so I took every chance I got to have the best time for the first couple of months in college."

"Sungyeol..." Myungsoo was a little embarrassed. "You do not have to pity me."

"I'm not saying this because I feel sorry for you. I'm saying this because I understand. After the months of being by myself I missed them. You're in a new place and you have all of this freedom, you want to learn new things you've never done before. You might even fall in love... But we have our moments of weakness, and that's when you realize you need to come back home." Sungyeol was barely knew his next words, blurting thoughts he had never expressed out loud to anyone in his life. "I don't know what I'm saying anymore. Everything that happened tonight, yes I am sad. I am really disappointed things didn't work out as smoothly as I wanted with Taeyeon. I'm upset that one chance I had to move on her was ruined. But I feel worst that I didn't see through this and help you out even earlier. That's probably why we talked for so damn long last night... all I have to say is that I get it Myungsoo. I really do. Getting you home, figuring out the love of your life, proving you innocent. Your happiness is important to me. I care about you."

Myungsoo gave no response, but he was inspired by Sungyeol's giving heart. For Sungyeol to share that sentiment on his family meant the world to Myungsoo, and it was something he would take with much care. Sungyeol and I... we have much more in common than we think. Intersecting generations, people are not as different as they may seem.

"Are you ready to try some barbecue?" Sungyeol asked, rubbing his stomach to start the night.

Myungsoo shook his head. "I want to tell you something I realized tonight." It was Myungsoo's turn to speak.

"Yeah?" 

Myungsoo coughed. "Thinking about you and Taeyeon, I thought about my own relationships back home. I believe that I have spent so much time away from Naeun and Daehyun, I no longer know my real feelings. This break away, I learned new interpretations I never thought possible. These things challenged my way of thinking intellectually and emotionally, but with so little time to ponder it all I have not made my full decision on who I love. Most important, I cannot delve into this topic until I have seen my family and free myself from Sunggyu's wrath. I may figure this out once I return to my time. You are my role model of someone who treats loves unconditionally, and I want to do the same. I cannot rush this."

Sungyeol nodded his head in agreement. "As long as you are honest with yourself, you can hold off your wedding as long as you want to. Myungsoo, don't even worry about it. Really, I should have never pushed that onto you in a time like this. There are so many things to worry about, such as returning to your nation and proving yourself innocent. When everything falls into place, you can have the time to reflect on the idea. Like I told you, when you feel love, it just happens."

Myungsoo could see was the glimmer of the neon signs in Sungyeol's eyes, the spark and sincerity that followed through. He was set on going home, but he was afraid of the friends he would lose in the process. "How am I going back?"

"What else? The same way you came. If you dive into the jacuzzi, you should get back to your time," Sungyeol realized. "We'll send you off tomorrow, but please try to have fun tonight. I hope that while you were gone... we tried to make this place a home as much as possible."

"You did," Myungsoo acknowledged, wiping the moisture around his eyes. "In 2014, your apartment will be my second home. I am forever in debt to you for everything you have done for me. You are an amazing person Sungyeol, and I will ever forget you." At such a serious moment, Myungsoo's stomach started to growl. "Ok, now I am ready to feast."

"It's about time. I'm starving."

With their spirits higher than before, the two walked into the restaurant for a splendid aroma of sizzling meats that delectable delight. It was a glorious restaurant, and Sungyeol led Myungsoo to his impending food coma.

"What's up!" Dongwoo grinned, pinching the claws of his tongs close to Myungsoo's nose.

Both Sungyeol and Myungsoo played things off to pretend nothing happened. Myungsoo was moved by the kindness of everyone around him, taking a seat in front of the grill as short ribs and bacon cooked in front of him. It was unlike anything he had seen before, placing raw food to cook in front of him. "We cook the food ourselves?"

"Yup," Sungjong mumbled with a full mouth, stuffing more rice in his mouth. He snatched the tongs away from Dongwoo and passed it to Myungsoo to try. "Who needs chefs when you can do the deed on your own?"

Sungyeol's pants vibrated, retrieving his silenced phone to check out a quick text. 

"Sungyeol, is everything ok? The seminar ended." From Kim Taeyeon.

Sungyeol hid the phone under the table, sending a speedy reply. 

"My friend had a stomachache. Food poisoning. Everything is ok, but I'm sorry it was all on short notice. I hope you had a decent time and we didn't ruin too much. I can try to make it up to you." From Lee Sungyeol.

A response was quick. 

"That's fine. I really hope he was ok, especially since he fell in the hall. Next Saturday I'm going to Hongdae for my birthday, you can make it up to me then ^_^." From Kim Taeyeon.

Her birthday. She's going to Hongdae for her birthday, and I'm invited. The message had a connotation of flirtation, one that sent chills down his spine. Sungyeol shoved the phone back into his pocket, satsified by the way their quick conversation ended. Brief, yet feeding hope to a potential reunion. Myungsoo was enjoying himself, and he had a second chance. Sungyeol could now fully dedicate himself to being around his brother and friends.

"How does this work?" Myungsoo gripped the tongs and played along with the contraption, opening and closing the claws like it was a mouth. It was one of the most amusing things he had ever encountered, testing out the new utensil and trying to pick up a piece of meat. "I think I got it..." Myungsoo stuck his tongue out, concentrating intensely on grabbing the piece of short rib and picking it up in the air to show off. "I did it! I got the meat!"

Of course nothing ever ends smoothly with Myungsoo around, losing control of the tongs as they retracted and sprung right out of his hands. The piece of meat flew right into Sungyeol's eye. The hot tongs bounced off of Sungjong's arm, who pushed it right into a whole bottle of sesame oil that poured right into the grill and fueled the fire. In the middle of their table was a burst of flames, which Dongwoo subdued by taking their pitcher of water and throwing it all over. The water splashed on top of the grill and killed the fire, as well as wetting everyone around him. Steam rose from the table, creating a burning smell and steam rising to the tops of the restaurant.

"DAMNIT MYUNGSOO!" Sungjong screamed.

It was almost a disastrous incident, the potential of causing a bigger fire at the restaurant should be taken seriously. Yet, Dongwoo hugged the pitcher close to his body as he could not stop cackling. Sungyeol caught Dongwoo holding back his laughter, making him snicker as well.

"This isn't funny!" Sungjong complained. "Myungsoo always does this !"

Dongwoo and Sungyeol continued laughing, to which the prince joined himself and covered his mouth to try and stop himself.

Sungjong wiped some water off of his face and waved his hand around to move the rising steam. Thinking about it, Sungjong no longer felt angry. "Ok... that was kind of funny."

It was a typical moment Sungjong wished he saw coming after offering the tongs. The four of them laughed hysterically, unable to let this moment go.

"Damn Myungsoo. I gotta admit, I'll miss all of these moments," Sungjong confessed, grabbing onto Myungsoo's shoulder as they leaned against each other for laughter.

Sungyeol clenched his chest to stop himself, taming his laughter as he suddenly realized that this would be one of the final accidents he would ever see of Myungsoo. Every bizarre moment only seen in movies came to life, and that chapter of their lives would end soon. Sungyeol promised Myungsoo he would get him home, but never did he truly understand what he was getting himself into. 

Myungsoo... it's your last night. Has it been that long? This... this makes me a little sad.

 

(((())))

 

It was the beginning of Myungsoo's final day in modern-day Seoul. 

Sungjong took his place at the kitchen to work on Myungsoo's final breakfast meal in this day and age. His body was bent over the stove as every move counted as he moved around certain parts of the egg to cook with his chopsticks. One mess-up would ruin the whole dish. 

Myungsoo arrived to the kitchen, sniffing his nose to the unfortunate smell of oil and eggs. He always gave credit for creating a delicious meal, but had never been able to get used to that smell of eggs cooking. "What are you making?"

"DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!" Sungjong pointed his chopsticks at Myungsoo, threatening to point him if he came any closer. "I don't want any fires in this apartment."

Myungsoo put his hands up and took a step away. "I promise I will never do that again!"

Sungjong squinted his eyes and grabbed the handle of his pan in one hand and a plate of steamed sticky rice in the other, sliding the egg down the path of hot oil to land right on a bed of rice prepared for him. He kept a careful glance at Myungsoo with the corner of his eye, making sure he did not touch a single thing he was not supposed to. After last night's fiasco, he knew anything was possible with Myungsoo on his final day. "Breakfast." Sungjong passed the plate to Myungsoo with the chopsticks he was cooking with.

Myungsoo held his plate, staring at the oily contents and could almost feel his intestines filling up with fat. 

Of course, Myungsoo was grateful that Sungjong even bothered to cook him a meal. "Thank you Sungjong. I apologize last night will never happen again."

Sungyeol strolled out of his room, slower than usual as he strapped his backpack on and caught Myungsoo and Sungjong in the kitchen. "Hey," was all he could say, going straight into the kitchen to grab some iced tea.

"You sound really tired," Sungjong noticed, Sungyeol lacking the spirit he normally had. 

"Restless sleep." Sungyeol slammed the refridgerator door closed and pressed his tongue against the inside of his cheeks. He looked up at Myungsoo eating his breakfast, sharing a faint smile with the stuffed prince. "Good food?"

Myungsoo nodded his head, a piece of fried egg white slathered in egg yolk dripping down his lips and dropping right back onto his plate. 

"By the way," Sungjong started, taking his phone out to retrieve a certain text. Swiping through his phone, he found the words "Lee Howon" right on the front. "Hoya wants to visit us next Saturday."

"Next week?" Sungyeol groaned, cracking his knuckles as he figured out how he would balance his visit with Taeyeon's birthday. "Does it have to be next week? Taeyeon is having a birthday in Hongdae."

"Of course Taeyeon is having a ing birthday in Hongdae..." Sungjong rolled his eyes, scrolling down through the text to summarize the contents. Typical. Anything for Taeyeon. "Hyung, we haven't seen Hoya in a long time-"

"I know, I know." Sungyeol put his hands up to stop him from scolding him. "I played Legends with him recently. I miss him also."

" I don't suppose you can bring Hoya to Hongdae," Sungjong thought. "Taeyeon has met him before, and he could hang out with me."

"Hoya? Who is Hoya?" Myungsoo muffled, almost spitting out his full mouth of food. 

"Oh, Hoya is our cousin from Busan," Sungyeol explained. "We usually trade visits once a month. We go to Busan, then he comes up to Seoul, but he skipped visits three months in a row so he owes us."

"Hoya, Hoya, Hoya," Sungjong shook his head, reflecting on his cousin. Repeating his name three times emphasized how much he abhorred him."That bastard. The smartest person of our whole family, but parties more than the both of us combined. I don't even know how he does it... I'm stuck crying on the floor and he's out dancing his heart out."

"Exactly." Sungyeol found the loophole. "I'm sure he'll definitely be fine with going to Hongdae. I'll just check with Taeyeon if it's ok."

"What? There is a party?" Myungsoo coughed, sputtering out bits and pieces of chewed up fried egg and rice onto his plate.

Sungyeol's lip pulsed in disgust, taking Myungsoo's plate and slamming it on the counter. He had enough. "Come on Myungsoo, we're going to school." 

"He didn't finish my food yet!" Sungjong complained.

Sungyeol grabbed onto Myungsoo's wrist and rushed him right out of the apartment. It was Myungsoo's final day, but it did not mean Sungyeol could be late.

 

(((())))

 

Sungyeol and Myungsoo walked into their lecture hall for History 31 prepared with drinks in their hands, celebrating Myungsoo's final day in 2014 with the usual caffe americano and a white hot chocolate with peppermint syrup to experiment. The reaction to the first hot chocolate was positive, so he thought it would not hurt to try something new.

"This is a unique taste I have not tried before. Saccharine, I prefer the first because it was less sweet," Myungsoo decided, blowing air into the opening of his cup and taking another sip. "This is still good."

"I'm glad you like it. Might as well go hard or go home, right?" Sungyeol patted Myungsoo on the back, leading him to their usual spot close to the back of the classroom. As Sungyeol took his seat, he started giggling uncontrollably recalling Myungsoo's first time in his class. "Do you remember the first time you were here, and you got into an argument with Woohyun over your dad?" He pointed right at Woohyun, who was immersed in his notebook as he reread key facts from the last lecture. 

"I remember that moment." Myungsoo lost the smile on his face and traded it for a grumble, crossing his arms at the thought that he accused his father of being a dictator. It was not only insulting to his family name but very presumptious of a person who had the slightest idea on anything. "Such an asinine student, it baffles me that he is the smartest person of your class when clearly he does not think before speaking."

"That was the single greatest thing that's ever happened in this class," Sungyeol smirked, taking out his notebook and preparing his notes. That was when he started feeling down, thinking that today was the last time he would ever see Myungsoo. "It's hard to believe... two weeks go by so fast, huh?"

"It was quite an interesting time spent. I have learned many irreplaceable lessons about the world as well as myself. I only wish I had some time to do more things, like to operate the... operate a car! Dongwoo said he would teach me how to do it, but there was never enough time. I will never forget any of this." Myungsoo took a sip of his hot chocolate and stuck his tongue out, the taste off his lips and wanting it to last forever. "I will miss the food here."

Sungyeol had an idea, propping up in his seat in excitement. "I don't suppose you can bring some food back, right?"

"What do you mean?"

"We're already putting all the clothes you bought in plastic bags. We'll put all the snacks you love in bags as well. You know, a souvenir for everything. You can even try to cook all of it back home!" The idea in theory sounded excellent, one of the best gifts to send Myungsoo away with. "Now you know what the world is capable of in the future. You can discover it all."

Myungsoo laughed at the preposterous thought. "No way! I cannot attempt to do any of that. Our country is barely starting up trade. We have limited resources, and I would need years of knowledge before we could create something like a cell phone or a car. We have not even discovered electricity!" But Myungsoo was inspired. "Or can I..."

Professor Lee walked into the room with his teaching assistant following from behind, carrying another large stack of stapled papers in his arms. He placed his briefcase on the table, unbuckling the straps to open. Inside of his case were several folders, writing utensils, other office supplies, but there was one important factor to his set up. Sitting on the top of the pile was an essay marked in bright red marker.

The class went to a collective silence, all of them curious to see what the paper was.

"Good morning Professor Lee," Woohyun welcomed, pushing his glasses back up his nose. "Our essays are back?"

"Yes, they are," Professor Lee answered with a straight face. He grabbed the essay on the top of the pile. "Class, after a week I had an interesting pile of papers to deal with. This class, it's not rocket science. We're not trying to solve a disease. I have high expectations for work done in this class that is doable, especially out of the decency that was the Joseon Dynasty." He glanced at the paper he held in his hand, scribbled in red and shook his head. "I was very disappointed in a lot of you."

"What?" Sungyeol breathed heavily, grabbing the edge of the table nervously as he waited for his paper. "Did I mess up? I needed this essay to pull up my grade..."

"A portion of you passed your essays, but needless to say it wasn't so impressive. Majority of you, we have to discuss your papers on what proper research and grammar is."

Did I do that horribly? Sungyeol took his backpack and buried his head inside, hugging it all and avoiding the rest of his lecture.

"But there was one person, who wrote an excellent expository piece on King Myunghae's month long voyage to Japan, as well as other important key countries contributing to the flourishing economy of the Joseon dynasty..."

Woohyun grinned confidently, fixing his collar and turning his head to the class to see the reaction on their faces when the name of the essay writer was announced. "With all do respect, I worked very hard..."

"Lee Sungyeol," the professor stated.

"Sungyeol?" Myungsoo jumped out of his seat.

"Me?!" Sungyeol's voice muffled inside his backpack. Taking his head out, he caught the whole classroom as well as Myungsoo staring straight at him. Not many people knew who Sungyeol was. He participated at the minimum, kept quiet as much as possible, to the point of sleeping through majority of the class. But as Myungsoo called his name sitting next to him, he was introduced to the class for the very first time. Some students, like Woohyun, glared at Sungyeol with a raging fire of jealousy wishing that essay was theirs.

Professor Lee continued, waving the paper in everyone's faces. "I have never written vast amounts of ink on an essay just to applaud their ideas and work. Lee Sungyeol has demonstrated everything I expect from each student of the class. I hope when Ryuhee passes out all of your essays, you reflect on what needs to be improved upon. Ladies and gentleman, this is a college course. You are expected to write to the best of your ability."

Sungyeol hugged his backpack, mute and unable to say a thing by the professor's extreme display of commendment for his work.

Him and Myungsoo's work. 

"Sungyeol, you have the best grade in the class!" Myungsoo exclaimed, watching along as the essays were passed around the classroom with jeers and groans, "You did it!"

Sungyeol was still quiet, astonished by the whole thing.

"Sungyeol?" Myungsoo tried one more time.

Finally, Sungyeol spoke. "We."

"What?"

"We did it. You and me." 

 

(((())))


 

Thursday night, and Dongwoo, Sungyeol, Myungsoo, and Sungjong stood at the edge of the jacuzzi. It was the place where their lives changed forever as a runaway prince entered the 21st century and turned everything upside down. Discovering new things about history and helping each other out in the process, Sungyeol exhausted all his resources to prove Myungsoo innocent and help him adapt. Two exciting weeks in the new world, and it was time to say goodbye to their Crown prince of Joseon. 

"So this is it," Sungjong frowned, staring at the bubbling hot tub as it patiently waited for the presence of a prince. Keeping his composure on the outside, his morose voice told an opposite story. "It's like watching my child grow up and getting married..." 

Sungyeol side-eyed his brother. "I'm pretty sure this is nothing like that."

"Don't ruin my moment hyung!" Sungjong snapped.

Dongwoo looked up at the sky, a cloudy evening with a few stars shining beyond the haze and a faint crescent moon to mark the occasion. It was a somber evening, and even though he barely knew Myungsoo he still considered him more than an acquaintance. "Myungsoo, I hope you safely return to Joseon and Sunggyu gets what he deserves."

Myungsoo dressed in an outfit bought from his experience at the mall, wearing denim shorts paired with one of Sungyeol's black and white polka dotted shirts that he no longer wanted. In his arms was a large plastic bag including all of his shorts, his hanbok, and several packaged foods from the future that he wanted to bring back. The bag was tied into a knot and placed into another plastic bag to layer, ensuring no water leaked in. 

Myungsoo began greeting every person goodbye, a bittersweet feeling. He started with the youngest one. "I will miss you Sungjong. especially the music here. You are a charming young man, and do not lose your vivacious spirit." He ended with a formal bow at 90 degrees.

"Stop being so formal around me..." Sungjong muttered. "But anyways... Show them what you're made of. After your cousin is proven guilty, you can create a whole new style of music and dance everywhere you want," Sungjong placed a warm hand on Myungsoo's shoulder, sniffing his nose as he hated to admit he would miss Myungsoo a lot. "You're pretty crazy, but I enjoyed our time together. Good luck Myungsoo."

Next for goodbyes was Dongwoo, who Myungsoo knew the shortest. Even then, he deserved a proper goodbye as Myungsoo bowed right in front of him. "I wish you good fortune Dongwoo. Thank you for your kindness and your chicken."

One of the packaged foods was a bento box full of Wicked Chicken, its splendid taste something Myungsoo could no pass up. With a recipe from Dongwoo, Myungsoo was determined to imitate it back in his time.

Dongwoo brought out a bright smile, bowing in front of him. "With much gratitude. Enjoy the chicken. And maybe you can give some to Jang Jungho and the rest of my family," he laughed.

"Of course," Myungsoo grinned.

For the final goodbye Myungsoo turned his eyes to Sungyeol, who stared at the prince with a forced smile. It was 14 days ago when a fateful evening landed Myungsoo right on his lap. The memories of carrying the prince back to his apartment, showing Myungsoo a good chunk of the world in the 21st century, and now returning him whilst he came. Since the day happened Sungyeol wondered when it all ended, but when the time finally came he wished Myungsoo could stay a little longer. "You know Myungsoo, you can always give us a call if you want to hangout... I mean, not call... if you ever want to visit 2014 again just go through the jacuzzi and we'll meet up with you," he rambled on, his throat tightening up as he continued. "You know the code to get through our apartment entrance..." 

Myungsoo held his head high, saving the most important farewell for last. Sungyeol's contributions to his stay in 2014 have impacted Myungsoo's life more than he ever known. Without Sungyeol, his head would be off and his family name left to his cousin. If it was not Sungyeol's help, he would not have learned as much as he did about new technology and developments of the current era.

This is it, and it hurts me. Their whole relationship was based on favors, but towards the end they developed a connection to which Myungsoo considered Sungyeol a good friend. In his stay, he found at least one person who understood him beyond the House of Kim title. "Thank you Sungyeol, for everything," Myungsoo smiled. He performed his final proper bow, but in the midst Sungyeol stook his hand out to stop him. 

"Don't do that. This isn't goodbye. I'll see you soon. Hell, maybe the next time you enter my jacuzzi you'll bring your brother, or Daehyun, or something," Sungyeol smirked.

"We'll miss you Myungsoo. Next time you come back, I'll teach you a new dance," Sungjong promised.

Without further ado, Myungsoo gripped his bag and flashed one final grin to display his gratitude. With a slight and generous bow to the three of them, he stepped down the first level of the jacuzzi. The water was warmer than Myungsoo initially remembered, wobbling in the water as he wanted to jump right out from the sweltering heat. Taking a deep breath, Myungsoo took another step down to submerge his body below the water except for his shoulders up. The sinking reality of returning back to the Joseon got to him, and to relish in his final seconds of modern day Seoul he turned his head to one final look at the three of them.

Standing close together, Dongwoo, Sungyeol, and Sungjong watched on as they waved goodbye to a new friend.

"Goodbye Crown Prince." Sungyeol's final words to Myungsoo.

With an exhilarating feeling, Myungsoo closed his eyes and held his breath. The Crown Prince returned to the Joseon, sinking down the jacuzzi to travel through time.

 

 

Myungsoo emerged out of the well, splashing water everywhere. He used his bag of clothes and food as a floation device, catching his breath as he leaned over to swim his way to the edge. Grabbing onto the edge of the brick well, he perched his head over and threw the bag of clothes out. He closed his eyes, the deed was done. "This is it. I'm home. I'm back in the Joseon."

"Actually..."

What? Is that Sungjong? Myungsoo heard a familiar voice from behind, spinning around to find Dongwoo, Sungyeol, and Sungjong standing together in the same position he left them. The flustered Myungsoo looked around, realizing he was still inside the jacuzzi.

"Uh, try one more time," Sungyeol suggested, bringing his hand to his mouth to figure out a better solution. "Maybe you need to stay under longer."

"I think you are correct." Myungsoo reached for his bag and attempted one more time to return to his time, taking one deep breath and diving back into the jacuzzi. 

Myungsoo counted in his head the number of seconds he stayed inside, watching the bubbles escape his lips. Keeping his eyes open in the jacuzzi, he wanted to see for himself if the jacuzzi changed in any way.

10 seconds passed, and Myungsoo jumped out of the water to the same scenery once more.

"It didn't work." Sungyeol was unsure what mistake had gone wrong for this to happen. 

"Hold on." Sungjong was the only one wearing shorts between the three of them and made his way down the first step of the jacuzzi. 

"What are you doing Sungjong-"

Sungjong grabbed onto the back of Myungsoo's shirt and pushed him down the jacuzzi, pressing both hands on his back to drown him in the water.

"SUNGJONG!" Sungyeol exclaimed.

Sungjong was still holding onto Myungsoo, pulling him back up as he spit all the water he choked on in Sungjong's face. Myungsoo clenched his chest, panting for as much air as possible.

"It's not working," Sungjong shrugged nonchalantly.

"What? Really?" Sungyeol started getting worried, inspecting every single part of the apartment pool area and wondering if something was off. He dipped a foot in the water, checking its temperature. "This water feels the same like it always does... today is a Thursday and that was the first time it happened..."

"We didn't do anything to Myungsoo recently, like cut his hair or give him a scar or anything... Myungsoo did you come through here with any kind of special time travelling mighty morphing treasure?" Sungjong questioned, lifting the soaking wet Myungsoo in the jacuzzi like a hook.

"No. I brought nothing but the clothes on my back," Myungsoo answered, slowly regaining his breath.

"If he came in a jacuzzi, that would be the wormhole back right?" Dongwoo asked. "It only makes sense."

A distressed Sungyeol brought both of his hands at the top of his head, biting his lip and contemplating the current jacuzzi mishap. I focused too much on Myungsoo proving himself innocent, using him for my grades, I put sending him back last on my list. "Myungsoo has to go through the jacuzzi, there's no other explanation that makes sense to me."

"What if..." Sungjong continued holding onto Myungsoo and stopped himself from talking, taking one apologetic look at Myungsoo before speaking. "Wherever he came from, that well, only had one way?"

Sungyeol had a hard time believing that. "What do you mean?"

"Myungsoo went in a well at the same time you were in a jacuzzi. What if people can only go from Joseon to 2014? And not 2014 to Joseon?" 

Dongwoo's jaw dropped. "You don't mean that..."

"Sungyeol..." Myungsoo's voice was soft, almost like he was a defeated and dejected man left out to die on his own. It was as if he was in line for his own execution that never happened. His fate had took a strange turn, and with his body still present in the 21st century it scared him much longer. "Does that mean I am here forever?" he cried, lowering his head in sadness.

"No! That can't be." Sungyeol walked over to the jacuzzi and pushed his brother's hand away for Myungsoo. He took his shirt and pulled him close to the edge, Sungyeol shaking his head and trying to convince himself that there was a way. "Myungsoo, I don't know what's going on but I'm getting you home. I spent too much time researching your cousin and working on my essay, I didn't even consider there could be a technical difficulty with you going home. I swear, I can get that all figured out."

"And what if you cannot bring be back home..." Myungsoo weeped, covering his eyes to conceal his tears. It was almost in reach. Everything seemed so close, yet what Myungsoo had to remember was that sometimes you cannot have one thing without giving up the other.

"Yeah Sungyeol," Dongwoo became realistic. "Are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure!" Sungyeol tried convincing himself.

The prince's heart was weary. "Sungyeol, maybe I am not meant to return..."

"No, please. Myungsoo don't say that." Sungyeol saw the heartbroken look in Myungsoo's tearful eyes as he threw in the white flag and gave up completely on himself and his return. Sungyeol felt terrible about everything, almost putting the blame on himself for everything turning awry. With was a mix of emotions at the pool, and Sungyeol could only provide empty promises that he had to pray to the heavens would come true. For now there was not much he could do but give support to Myungsoo.

A hug.

Sungyeol brought his hands far apart and brought Myungsoo for an embrace, the first one they ever shared. Myungsoo was drenched, crying loudly for everyone to hear, but Sungyeol kept him close. He rubbed his back in circles, staring at his reflection in the jacuzzi. With his head perched over Myungsoo's head, he watched as Myungsoo stuck to him without letting go. Disappointment was an understatement. Sungyeol truly felt in debt to Myungsoo, more determined than ever to help the Crown Prince return. This was simply a minor degree. "Mark my words Myungsoo. You're getting back to Joseon. I promise."

 

 


 

Uh oh...

Myungsoo deals with a lot of things in the next chapter... but what's Sungyeol gonna do about it?

Can you figure out how Myungsoo is supposed to get back to the Joseon????

What do you think will happen next?

YOU'LL FIND OUT!!!!