Hitting the Books

21st Century Kim

Hello everyone! 21st Century Kim is going full speeds ahead and with Myungsoo now in the 2014, I promise you this is going to be a great adventure.

I am currently in the UK visiting my father! My whole family is here and I have a good time :D There won't be any more updates till I'm back in the Philippines.

Thank you for all of my subcribers, casual readers, commentors. This is nothing like a fanfic I have written before. The whole story is done and outlined, and I'm exicted to write and finish this all. 

Enjoy this everyone! I love you all!

 


 

With the meeting of a lifetime (a lifetime span of 600 years), the real story finally begins as two worlds clash in the most epic proportions. Myungsoo, the exiled Crown Prince, the once heir to the House of Kim, has somehow entered a new world through a simple well during his escape. Sungyeol, the history student, has reluctantly accepted Myungsoo's presence in the timebeing until he can figure out what exactly happened.

Where does the story take us now?

Let us return back to the Joseon Dynasty.

 

(((())))

 

Daehyun stood guard outside of Prince Myungsoo's chambers, an ordinary task he enjoyed as he talked everything from art to the weather to news about the court with his best friend. Today would be different as he stood with his back leaned against the hallway, his voice mum and his mind uneasy as he stood by the room of a friend who was no longer with him. Someone he truly cared about, forced out of the palace and needing to leave before he was caught. Daehyun held the burden of allowing Myungsoo to leave, unwilling to allow him to be captured for something enabled through mob mentality.

Daehyun stood firmly with his belief in Myungsoo's innocence, and he was going to do something about it.

Several palace guards walked out of Myungsoo's room, which was under investigation after the poisoning of King Myunghae. It was a solemn day in Seoul as the citizens of the nation were informed of their leader's death and the prince's supposed treachery. Queen Jinyoung mourned the death of her husband and mystery of her son in private, with her only son left Moonsoo trying to keep his mother's spirits high. Many servants of the palace moved slowly as the spirit of the House of Kim would never be the same again.

"Please take that to the meeting room" Bang Sok ordered, walking out of Myungsoo's room following the guards.

"Regent Bang Sok," Daehyun called, bowing in front of his superior.

"Daehyun, please call me King Bang Sok." For immediate action and Moonsoo's young age to rule the House, through a series of votes Bang Sok was the next in line to rule the House of Kim.

"King Bang Sok," Daehyun corrected himself. "I want to talk to you about Prince Myungsoo."

"It was quite an unfortunate moment for this nation, but we must pull forward and move on without him," King Bang Sok sighed regretfully. "Our palace guards are on a search for him."

"I understand. I only wanted to say... that I truly do not believe Kim Myungsoo was the culprit," Daehyun declared.

King Bang Sok nodded his head. "Please continue."

Daehyun cleared his throat before continuing. "With all due respect, Myungsoo is not only a future ruler of the nation but a friend and colleague of mine. They call him the Compassionate Prince. He was shown nothing but love for his father, and it makes absolutely no sense that he would poison his father at all. You should know and understand this. There is no motivation. Even though Myungsoo was in the kitchen last, I believe he was truly at the wrong place at the wrong time."

The compelling argument moved Bang Sok, who tried to convince himself everything Daehyun was saying was correct. Holding his hands together, Bang Sok bit his lip uncomfortably. "Daehyun. You are an honorable and I very much respect your loyalty towards my nephew Myungsoo."

Daehyun made a slight bow in gratitude. "Thank you sir."

"But I regret to inform that whatever the motivation was, my nephew has indeed poisoned my brother." It was at that moment when Bang Sok motioned for a guard to show off a cloth bag he held in his hand. Embroidered in gold stitching, the palace guard opened up the white back to reveal picked pieces of a bright magenta azalea. "This flower, which can be found in our gardens, was found picked and crushed in a small pine chest in Myungsoo's chambers."

Daehyun's jaw dropped in disbelief at what he was saying. There was no possible way for him that Myungsoo would have such a thing. The azalea was known to act as a poison, but Myungsoo would never keep such a thing to myself. "King Bang Sok, there has to be a good explanation why-"

"We will keep doing further investigations," King Bang Sok concluded, leading his guards down the hallway to continue on with his search. "My son Sunggyu has said that he wanted to do more investigation on this matter later this afternoon." And with that, King Bang Sok exited the premises with his palace guards with determination to figure out the case.

Daehyun stood by Myungsoo's chambers with a loss for words.

 

(((())))

 

Sungyeol swung the doors open to enter his favorite place in the entire world.

Starbucks.

Standing at the foot of the door, he took one deep breath at the wondrous aroma of richness tantalizing his taste buds. A drink was everything he wanted to start off his day, walking in excitedly to step in line.

Following behind Sungyeol was a man of his height sporting a red hooded sweatshirt, a pair of black jeans, a black cap with "Korea" written in red, as well as a blue backpack as he carefully stepped inside looking around in astonishment.

"Myungsoo, stay next to me in line," Sungyeol called out.

Myungsoo obediently nodded and followed Sungyeol into line. Everything about the new year fascinated him; from the public transportation of sitting on metal seats to go through the whole city in a matter of what seemed like seconds, to the observations of the tall buildings they passed with unlimited amounts of windows, to the passing vehicles on the paved roads as they walked along the sidewalk, to the observation of the hundreds of people they passed by. Korea was had turned into a bustling city with a monumental change from his time to 2014. Myungsoo could barely bask in the presence of his own nation flourishing into what it was today, with Sungyeol giving him a brief history of how their country changed and their advances in technology. Myungsoo was amazed by everything, but time moved fast and they were constantly on the go to relish in it all.

Sungyeol wiped his bangs away as he explained to Myungsoo the institution. "This place is called Starbucks."

Myungsoo tilted his head. "Star... books..."

"No. Star. Bucks."

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows as he tried his best to pronounce the word, puckering his lips with every sound. "Star... Booacks."

"You know what?" Sungyeol put his hands out to stop him. "That's totally fine. You almost got it."

Myungsoo continued to look around in astonishment of his surroundings. As he wore Sungyeol's clothes to blend in with society, he could not help but notice the new social interactions of people in this day and age. People in black outfits fit to a tailored tee standing in front of him, people in outfits like his own sitting at tables and conversing about things he had never heard of in his life: Samsung, clubbing, airplanes, EXO. Everything was fresh and entertaining to Myungsoo's curious mind. In front of him he laid his eyes on a strange silver machine in which a worker wearing a green uniform clothing pressed a button for brown liquid to come out. It was similar to a cylinder machine that he saw in Sungyeol's apartment the day before. "What is that?" Myungsoo pointed out.

Sungyeol looked ahead at the barista pouring coffee into a paper cup. "This place Starbucks is a place that's come here maybe 10 years ago. Starbucks holds a special place in my heart and serves this drink called coffee. You know tea? It has the same effects and contains something called caffeine. This provides much assistance needed to keep you awake and stimulate you. Coffee helps me concentrate on a lot of things so before I go to school I come here to get something and feel better."

"I understand," Myungsoo nodded.

"Next!" the barista called.

Sungyeol tugs on Myungsoo's arm to pull him forward and place an order. As this happens, Myungsoo's attention still focuses on the machine making the coffee and expresso.

"Can I... get one grande caffe americano," Sungyeol asked as he retrieved his wallet from his back pocket. "My name is Sungyeol."

Myungsoo peeped behind Sungyeol's shoulder and almost rested his nose against it to watch as the barista took a paper cup and write down Sungyeol's name with black ink of sorts. Everything was fascinating the process was nothing like he had ever seen before. From taking a high speed moving vehicle to the campus grounds to observing the steps in making this invention of coffee, Myungsoo was more than interested in the world he fell into. "Can I try a sip?" Myungsoo bit his lip.

"Huh? Yeah sure." Sungyeol paid the barista in full and motioned for Myungsoo to move out of line. The two walked over to an empty table by the serving counter. Sungyeol took his backpack and slammed it on the table as if it was any ordinary day while Myungsoo carefully took a seat, his backpack still on and his hands clutching the straps in anticipation. Sungyeol settled in his seat when he noticed Myungsoo staring at him idiotically. "What?"

Myungsoo grinned. "I am delighted for coffee."

Sungyeol chuckled, shaking his head bashfully at his excitement. "How do you like modern-day Korea so far?"

"It is something I am not used to, but I find it interesting how our nation has changed over the years."

The barista topped off a caffe americano with a lid and placed it gently on the counter. "Sungyeol," she called out.

Sungyeol proceeded to grab his drink quickly from the counter and return back to the table. He took one whiff on his drink and let out a satisfying exhale with his senses already stimulating. He took one slow sip of his drink to get that first taste before passing the cup to Myungsoo. "So this is called a caffe americano. It uses something called expresso instead of coffee, but they serve the same purpose. Two warnings. This is bitter for some people, and this is hot. Take a careful slip."

Myungsoo gazed at the cup as if it was the crown treasures of his country, a gift that must be treated with care. Myungsoo accepted the gift with both hands bowed slightly in front of Sungyeol with his baseball cap close to falling off. He cradled the cup gently and raised it in front of his face, observing every little detail: the white cup, the green logo, the brown band around it, the little hole on the lid to drink out of. Myungsoo wanted this moment to be perfect, trying coffee for the first time. He took the cup and brought it to a gentle brush of his lips, embracing this moment that would truly mark his welcome into the 21st century.

Finally, he tipped the cup over and allowed for a gentle flow of caffe americano to reach his tongue in a splendor of new tastes.

Then Myungsoo dropped the cup on the table and spit everything out onto Sungyeol's face.

Myungsoo sputtered the last tastes of the americano off his tongue, choking on the horrid taste of the drink and holding onto this throat. He almost thought he was suffering the fate of his own father, poisoned by somehing treacherous. But alas, it was only a Starbucks drink. After finally regaining his senses and coughing out the first sip, Myungsoo raised his chin at Sungyeol.

Sungyeol's whole face was covered in the bitterments of Myungsoo's sip as well as a portion of his backpack, in which the coffee cup dropped on and spilled over. Sungyeol kept his eyes shut and allowed for the mixture of expresso and Myungsoo's bodily fluids to drip down his face, contemplating the meaning to his own pathetic life and what he did wrong to deserve such a fate.

"Sungyeol," Myungsoo spoke apologetically, realizing what he did to him. "I did not mean to-"

"Nope." Sungyeol put his hand out, still keeping his eyes closed. "That's alright Myungsoo. I should have given you a fairer warning."

"What do we do now that your drink-"

Sungyeol with his vision black raised his index finger to find Myungsoo's lips, pointing carefully at each part of his face until he brushed his finger against his mouth to shut him up. "You stay here. I'm going to get napkins to clean this up. And another drink."

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu wanted nothing but time to himself, requesting a leave for absence during the morning to stroll through the Seoul town marketplace. Sunggyu walked around with a simple brown hanbok and a hat to shield his eyes from the blaring sun. With the travesty that occurred the night before, Sunggyu acted with modesty.

"Prince Sunggyu."

Sunggyu turned his head to catch a mother carrying her child in her arms as another child held onto her leg. The family was forlorn, scared for their kingdom. Sunggyu gave a quick smirk to comfort them. "The three of you are up on this fine morning."

The mother bowed in front of the honorable prince, who many townspeople admired for his courage and intelligence. "Sunggyu, please answer. Will our nation be ok?"

Sunggyu had been asked that question since his morning out in the town, from fisherman, merchants, artisans, families, everyone who saw him. With the news of Myungsoo's fleet spreading, Sunggyu was the only capable person of age in the House of Kim who could lead the nation next as well as his father. With a gentle hand, he touched the mother's arm and rubbed it. "I promise you, even with this national emergency that the nation of Korea is a powerful one. We will get through this. Together."

The mother smiled, encouraged by Sunggyu's words to get through the day. "Thank you Prince Sunggyu."

With a grin on his face, Sunggyu bowed respectfully in front of them and continued on his way. With no clear destination or goal, Sunggyu followed his heart and searched for a place of comfort.

That was when he recognized the image of a woman who stood beautifully in front of an art shop dressed in a dark purple hanbok. Sunggyu knew this woman very well, but there was something about her this time around that confused him. Her glowing skin seemed almost faded, her hair tied in a basic bun, her eyes lackluster, and her spirit contained. 

It was not the delicate flower Sunggyu knew.

"Son Naeun." Naeun heard a familiar voice and turned to immediately see Sunggyu bowing at 90 degrees at her presence. Sunggyu approached Naeun, showing a slight smile at her presence. "What kind of art are you looking at?"

Naeun smiled, pointing to a canvas of cherry blossoms. "How does that look? For the springtime?"

Sunggyu scanned the painting from top to bottom, paying attention to its use of white and black inks as well as the intricate brushstrokes to create a real-life portrayal of the flower. As well as black and white, the painting was stained with blotches of pink. "I think this is a lovely painting. Do you?"

"Yes. I wanted to buy it for my room, a place to put above my cabinet." Naeun's voice started to trail off as she looked off to her side, avoiding any eye contact with Sunggyu. "Flowers are said to be a fresh start, right?"

Sunggyu frowned as he noticed the sparkle of a single tear falling from her cheek, her figure frail and tired from the aftermath. "Naeun," he whispered.

Naeun shook her head, holding the paper fan that she received from Myungsoo and pressing it against her heart. "Myungsoo would never do such a thing, right? He is innocent, right?" More tears fell down Naeun's face as she struggled to speak anymore.

"I... I really do not know," Sunggyu sighed.

That was when Naeun reached over and stumbled right into Sunggyu's arms, pouring her eyes out in the middle of the town for everyone to see.

Sunggyu could feel the paper fan pressing against his back as Naeun seeked refuge with him, everything he had ever wanted and hoped would happen. Sunggyu could care less about the people around him or the fact he was a member of the royal family in the middle of a public center. No woman who is the future of the council and the Korean state should have to feel this way. No woman who is as smart and artistic as her should have to feel so weak. 

No woman like her should ever have to cry over something like this

Sunggyu caressed her back and pulled her closer into his chest, allowing her to rest her gentle head onto his shoulder as he brushed her hair for comfort. "We will figure everything out," Sunggyu promised. "And whatever happens in the end, I will always be a shoulder you can cry on."

 

(((())))

 

Sungyeol pulled on Myungsoo's hand to lead him into lecture hall, filled with 150 seats and tables raised to an incline to focus in on a podium front and center. Myungsoo looked on in astonishment as Sungyeol's classmates sat on the tables to talk with each other, some of them sleeping, others eating and waiting for class to begin. Etiquette and posture of the 21st century was unlike anything Myungsoo had seen, and he almost thought that manners slipped as time passed by.

"This is where I take History 31," Sungyeol explained as he walked Myungsoo over to one of the last rows of the classroom. "So when I am here at university, we have two semesters: fall and spring. During each of them I take three classes and this is one of them. This class focus the Joseon Dynasty, so your era. That's why I told you I have that history book."

"I understand," Myungsoo nodded as he noticed a student in front of them placing three chairs together to use as a temporary napping space.

"Ignore him," Sungyeol laughed nervously, dropping his things to the floor and taking a seat.

"I expect better behavior of our nation in the future," Myungsoo complained with a disgusted look on his face, believing that the entirety of Korea had become lethargic.

"I promise, you are at one of the best universities in this nation. Some of us are just exhausted from studying. Like I told you earlier, instead of private tutors we have schooling like this. It's different because in between classes you do have a lot of time to study and do your work, but sometimes the subject matter could be hard when you have to do things like write an essay or take a midterm." Sungyeol noticed a bit of concern on Myungsoo's face and patted on his back to look towards the front. "I promise, this is one of the best institutions you can be a part of for education."

At that moment, the History 31 professor walked in with a briefcase and a yearning to start class. At his arrival, students took their seats and prepared themselves for another hour and a half long lecture. Sungyeol ped his backpack to retrieve his pen and pencil as Myungsoo observed the setting of a Korea University student. The classroom atmosphere was a new aspect of 2014. Thinking back to his times studying in their palace library, he was usually by himself or with Sunggyu being taught. This was interesting.

"Hello everyone," the professor started as he took out his outline for today's lecture. "I am in the middle of grading all of your past exams, and I will be finished over the weekend. You will receive your tests this Monday."

"," Sungyeol groaned.

"What?" Myungsoo did not understand the word.

"Oh." Sungyeol ruffled his hair in frustration over remembering the atrocity that was his past midterm. "I didn't do so well on a past test that I took, and I am going to receive a grade for it this Monday."

"Today we will be discussing many of the military policies implemented during the Joseon Dynasty by Kim Myunghae."

Myungsoo held onto Sungyeol's shoulder. "That's my father," he whispered.

Sungyeol shrugged Myungsoo's hand off. "Be quiet."

The professor took a piece of chalk and began to write several key points of his lecture. "From your readings last night, you have read that King Myunghae went on several trips to Japan and China to create militaristic relations between their countries. King Myunghae was one of the only leaders during the Joseon era to have accomplished a successful relationship with Japan."

A student raised their hand.

"Yes Woohyun?" the professor called out.

The student adjusted his glasses and cleared his throat before speaking. "I wanted to make a statement."

"God damnit," Sungyeol groaned once more, leaning against his fist and slumping in his chair.

"Huh?" Myungsoo wondered.

"Sorry, I hate this guy," was all Sungyeol could say. "His name is Woohyun. He's a year older than me, and he does not know how to shut up."

"Professor Lee, so before this time Korea has had minimal relationships with the countries surrounding the nation. And when the House of Kim comes to rule, this is the first time that we see the Joseon shifting to a much more militaristic power with an emphasis on his brother Kim Bang Sok and his nephew Kim Sunggyu. Though it was successful and brought much of the needed protection to Korea, I believe that it also created a dictatorship started by the House of Kim."

Professor Lee copied down the ideas that Woohyun spoke in class. 

"A dictatorship?" Myungsoo had never heard of the word before.

"A dictatorship often implies that the leader is oppressive," Sungyeol explained as he wrote down points of note. 

"Oppressive?" Myungsoo frowned and played with the bill of his Korea University baseball cap.

"Sorry." Sungyeol continued to jot down ideas in his notebook. "I didn't do the required reading for today so I have no idea what's going on." I was too busy dealing with you.

Woohyun continued. "Many people during this power were executed and it seems that the power equaled much more abusive leadership. During this time, his nephew even ordered-"

"My father was not an abusive king," Myungsoo declared out loud in class.

The whole class turned to look towards Myungsoo, who sat with his back straight and his expression firm.

All of this to the expense of Sungyeol's sanity.

"Myungsoo," Sungyeol whispered, his palms sweating as he did not want Myungsoo's cover blown. "Sit down and shut up."

"King Myunghae was an honorable leader who was loved by the people of Korea. His strategies were important to the formation of our nation today, and he only thought of what was necessary for the protection of this country and its future. The people he executed he did out of good judgement, and they were probably people who disobeyed the law in the first place." Myungsoo debated.

The whole class became immersed in this debate between their classmate and the disguised prince of Joseon, whispering in class on how Woohyun would answer back. In the meantime, Sungyeol slid back in his chair and covered his mouth to remain hidden from everyone else.

"All of this at the expense of his own people?" Woohyun argued. "He had executed servants in this time."

"The people King Myunghae had executed in his lifetime were traitors to the state. Some of the servants, like Kanghee, tried to kidnap my cou-"

"That's enough," Sungyeol pleaded, tugging on Myungsoo's sweatshirt and smiling awkwardly to quiet him down.

"Kanghee almost kidnapped Sunggyu and he was executed. Everyone who was punished had done more harm to the country than good. The commonpeople of our nation had the utmost respect for King Myunghae's ruling, and before you speak of anything else clarify your information beforehand. Myunghae is one of the best rulers the Joseon had ever seen, and without him we would not be here today." Everything had been said in under one furious breath for Myungsoo to defend his father, and at its end he let out one exhale to finish.

The whole classroom looked around in awe as a student they had barely recognized from the beginning had called out the History 31 know-it-all. Everyone was pleased by this as they watched Woohyun crumble in his seat with nothing else to say. Even Professor Lee was impressed with the display of knowledge Myungsoo had demonstrated in class.

And then there was Sungyeol, who hid his head in his arms on the table in shock and embarrassment.

 

(((())))

 

Sungjong barged into his apartment in the evening after a long day on campus, his eyebags drooping and desiring any kind of rest he could get. "What's up losers?" Sungjong called out, walking through the door and throwing his backpack on the kitchen table.

Sungyeol sat with his legs extended on the coffee table and his attention to his history book, while Myungsoo eagerly plastered his eyes on the televison screen with barely any room between his face and the show. His eyes were enticed by the moving pictures and people inside, which Sungyeol explained to him briefly earlier in the day. He was amused by a broadcast of football playing, a sport that Sungyeol had briefly explained to him before he started studying. Many of the games that Myungsoo had played in his time were to a smaller degree and required little to no movement with his legs, so seeing a bunch of people kicking a ball around was more than amusing.

"Hey there." Sungjong walked over to Myungsoo and grabbed his shoulders to pull him back to a considerable distance. "Your eyes will hurt if you watch something that close."

Myungsoo was so amazed by the screen that he paid no attention to Sungjong's comment, his jaw dropping as one player kicked the ball into the goal post. "I think they won!" Myungsoo exclaimed, jumping up and down in excitement. 

Sungjong watched on to check the game. "They didn't win yet, but they scored a point."

"Still good, correct?"

Sungjong let out a faint smile. "Still good."

"How was your day?" Sungyeol asked, his eyes focused on a specific reading about King Myunghae. 

"It was fine." Sungjong made his way to the couch, jumping right into his regular seat and leaning back with his legs on the shared coffee table. Sungjong closed his eyes and reclined for comfort. "I attended a seminar a couple hours ago from two of the three CEOs of Hyundai, Yoon Gap Han and Kim Chung Ho."

"Kim?" Myungsoo asked, turning his head around.

"No, a different one," Sungjong clarified. "I don't know, they were talking about the business model of their company and their inspirations of getting into the economics industry."

"That's nice," Sungyeol mumbled as he picked up his book and flipped through several pages to get to a certain chapter. "Myungsoo tried caffe americano for the first time and hated it, then proceeded to get into an argument with my classmate."

"That's nice," Sungjong yawned.

Sungyeol's eyes suddenly lit up with some new information. "Hey guys, check this out." Myungsoo walked over towards the couch as Sungjong opened his eyes leaned in closer to Sungyeol. "I've been checking out my history book to see what was written about Myungsoo so that we can figure out what happens in the past. I've reached the point about King Myunghae's poisoning. After the Korean royal court returns after a relations trip to Japan, there is a dinner that proceeds after in which King Myunghae is poisoned.  There was a written diary page featured on one of the pages from a cook of the House of Kim, saying that during this time Myungsoo was the last person seen holding the drinks for a long period of time."

"Yisoon would say that about me? How dare she! I would never hurt a fly," Myungsoo roared.

"This is the important part," Sungyeol led. "Myungsoo runs away, and after that Regent Bang Sok becomes the next king by default and his line falls into place with Sunggyu being the new Crown Prince... judging by this that means Bang Sok is your uncle and Sunggyu is your cousin?"

"Yes," Myungsoo confirmed.

Sungyeol follows lines of text throughout the pages to skip over and get to his next point. "After a week as a fugitive, it says that Myungsoo is found and taken as a prisoner. In a report for a diary entry from another one of the guards of the palace, azalea was found in Myungsoo's bedroom." Sungyeol looked up at Myungsoo with concern. "You had azalea in your chambers?"

"I promise to you it was not me," Myungsoo declared sternly. "Azaleas are planted in our garden, but I never kept them in my own room. And I would never do that to my father."

"I think I believe Myungsoo," Sungjong chimed. "He's too blank to successfully operate something like this."

"Which brings me to my next point." Sungyeol points at a paragraph in his book. "Myungsoo, your cousin Sunggyu was said to be tactical and militaristic?"

"Yes," Myungsoo answered.

"Sunggyu proves you guilty to the royal court... and then..." Sungyeol suddenly stays quiet.

"What is it?" Sungjong asked.

Sungyeol cleared his throat to finish the final thoughts from his studying. "Sunggyu proves Myungsoo guilty and Myungsoo... is sentenced to execution." Sungyeol and Sungjong look up to Myungsoo simultaneously, whose face is horrified. "Before your execution, I guess you elope with your fiance Naeun before you are ultimately beheaded hours later."

Myungsoo raised his hand to cover his open mouth. His lip twitched in fear and a dash of hopelessness of proving himself. The sound of Naeun's name also alarmed him, remembering her face and that they were supposed to marry before all of this happened. "Naeun was supposed to be my future wife, but during my prison time do I really marry her? Really? And they kill me afterwards?"

Sungyeol nodded his head. "Myungsoo, you're supposed to die."

That unsettling term bothered the three of them, who struggled to find the next words to respond.

"... Well that's really cool," Sungjong mumbled sarcastically.

"They were going to execute me? Execute me like Ia traitor?! Is my fate restricted to that of these terms and my own cousin tries to fault me?" Myungsoo was on the verge of tears and fought to hold them back as his whole body was shaking.

"I'm sorry Myungsoo, but this story isn't over yet." Sungyeol turned the pages of his book to take notice to a highlighted portion of his history book. "It says here that Naeun has Myungsoo's child thereafter, his name is Hyuk. If you care."

"Way to go Myungsoo, getting it in before you're executed!" Sungjong cheered.

Sungyeol used one hand to smother his brother's face and the other to hold his book open. "Myungsoo, after your death... your cousin Sunggyu marries Naeun. And they have two sons, Kwangho and Dongjun. And Sunggyu takes the throne as King after his father dies."

Sungjong pulled Sungyeol's hand off of his mouth and pushed it back to him. "Don't touch me!"

Myungsoo scratched his head. Hearing his own future before him was something he could barely fathom, the idea of knowing his fate was death. All the details in between of having a child with Naeun, his own cousin spearheading the action of executing him, and taking his wife for himself after he becomes king of the Joseon. It was all overwhelming an Myungsoo barely knew which issue to address first. "Sunggyu... my dear cousin..."

"You know..." Sungjong interrupted Myungsoo and pushed himself off the couch, crossing his arms to make his own statement. "Maybe we should wait a while before Myungsoo returns back to Joseon."

"What?" Myungsoo was confused. "I have to return home."

"But think about it." Sungjong laid out everything in detail. "Myungsoo, if you return home you're going to be executed by your own family. If you stay here for a week longer or two, you won't die. And I mean, you seem like a nice, respectable, and intelligent man. It would hurt my conscience if I knew you were going to die the second you returned back to the 1400s." Sungjong gave a stern look at Sungyeol. "Right hyung?"

Sungyeol closed his book and tossed it on his coffee table, placing his elbows on his knees and leaning into his hands to contemplate the issue. "Myungsoo executed... Sunggyu taking the throne... Sunggyu marrying Naeun..." That was when Sungyeol stood up from the couch and placed a hand on Myungsoo's shoulder. "I know that I said I was going to try and bring you back tonight, but give me a week to research more on the House of Kim. Something is strange about Sunggyu, and if you stay here longer and let me look things up I can prove your innocence. It will also be a good way for me to study."

"Sunggyu?" Myungsoo wondered why Sunggyu would marry Naeun after his execution, considering that he never saw Sunggyu take any interest in her from the beginning. And with his own cousin ruling the nation, he did not feel comfortable with the idea.

"Wow you're practically a stranger and I'm helping you do this... really my life has gone crazy since..." Sungyeol went off topic before continuing on. For a second, he really contemplated why he was so willing to help a stranger who shared the same jacuzzi as him and tried to touch him in inappropriate places during their first meeting. His life was so messed up, how could things have ended this way?

"Sungyeol, what do you mean?" Myungsoo asked.

Sungyeol shook his head with his hands on his hips, thinking about the terms of his bold proposal. "Myungsoo, you have no reason to trust me and I have no reason to trust you. But for some strange and peculiar reason I will never understand, physics put us together. And... I think I'm supposed to help you. I promise I will bring you back, but not right now. Is that ok?"

Myungsoo considered the terms of this agreement in which he would wait a while longer before returning to his own home. It was not right for him to be in a new era, but at the same time he worried for his own life. He truly wanted to prove he was innocent before returning home to his whole family, Daehyun, Naeun, the nation he loved so dearly. Without much going on, he had to make a choice. "I am going to stay here longer for you to prove my innocence, and then I will return home to respectfully take the throne after my father and rule Korea."

"That's the spirit!" Sungjong smiled, patting Myungsoo on the back. Sungjong was that of a person who took things as they go, and this was nothing short of that motto. Person from the past sleeping over at their apartment? No problem. Many people annoyed Sungjong, but with Myungsoo he suspected something different from him. Something honest in his character. Something that Sungjong never had and never will. "We're not gonna let anything bad happen to you. You get to stay here for the weekend. This should be fun."