You Just Met Me

21st Century Kim

A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO MY FOLLOWERS!

I apologize for tricking everyone into a new chapter previously. I posted the outline of my chapter and accidentally posted it up. I hope all of you did not read it. I know some people did, which is why I tweaked some things to have surprises.

I celebrated Simbang Gabi and had a wonderful time with family. I am now relaxed and have many Christmas presents. I got a new laptop, which is what I'm typing on. And hopefuly the greatest present of all, I will get into college soon!

Now everyone please enjoy the story. Things only get complicated before they get better, and many people are gonna make unexpected mistakes. I love you all!

 


Myungsoo tapped his pencil on the side of the table, giving his hand a quick break before he finished the essay portion of the test. With his chin rested on his fist, the prince reviewed all his multiple choice answers and body paragraphs with the tip of his eraser following each line meticulously, making sure each detail of his life was true. It was almost as if Myungsoo was writing his own memoir, except with a much more uncomfortable writing utensil that constantly cramped his hand.

The rest of the students in History 31 seemed have a less than pleasant time. Students gripped their tables, attempting to pull out hair and break their pencils in half over this test. It was of the same difficulty of ious tests, which Professor Lee was known for tricky questions and extensive essays. To pass any midterm for his class, students must dedicate 10 hours of work a week into reading and studying. Those were the best students in his class.

Or, you can be like Myungsoo and be the person the exam was about.

Myungsoo finished the last line of his essay and dropped the pencil on the table, opening and closing his hand to ease the excruciating pain of writing with a pencil. This is definitely not easier than a brush, Sungjong lied to me! Myungsoo lowered the bill of his hat to keep his eyes hidden and picked up his backpack, being the first person in the room to stand up for the test.

Dongwoo and Sungjong warned him that if he was the first person to finish the test, everyone would stare at him out of frustration. Myungsoo kept his eyes down to avoid any faces of people around him. 

Turn it in, leave.

Myungsoo put his pencil inside his backpack and zipped it up, placing both straps around his shoulders and heading straight for the stairs. Myungsoo was also warned to make as little noise as possible as he left. Not only did he have to keep a low profile, but it was just common courtesy to not distract test takers and make a lot of noise. Myungsoo crept to the front of the lecture hall with tippy toes, hugging his exam and holding his breath until the test was turned in. The only sounds heard were of paper shuffling, pencil writing, and the whimpers of failing college students.

Do not worry, Sungyeol. I am confident I did well on this test. I would never let you down.

As Myungsoo almost reached the front, another person stood up at the very first desk. Myungsoo stopped in his tracks as he watched the glasses-wearing student move to the end of the aisle to turn in his own exam.

Woohyun.

Woohyun held the exam firmly in his hands and passed it onto the professor with a smug look, his own way of saying that this was barely any challenge. 

Myungsoo took a deep breath and followed behind Woohyun to turn in his test, standing side-by-side as he quietly turned it in and bowed to Professor Lee at 90 degree angles to turn in the test. It was not necessary, but Myungsoo wanted to show his respect to the teacher.

Woohyun turned and glanced at Myungsoo, shocked to see that someone else finished the test at the same time as him. "Wait, Myungso-"

But before he could complete his name, Myungsoo quickly paced out of the lecture hall. He held the door and quietly closed it.

Then sprinted out of the lecture hall, 20 mintues before class ended.

"Myungsoo!" Myungsoo walked outside to Sungjong waiting for him with a grande caramel frappuccino, which he promised he would give the prince if he was able to complete the testing tax. It was the first step to damage control, and Myungsoo hurried to Sungjong and grabbed his prize. "How was the test?"

Whipped cream seeped out of the plastic cap, which Myungsoo out to avoid spill. He the whipped cream off his lips with a huge smile, that sweet and satisfying taste of victory after the exam. Myungsoo finally understood why Sungyeol and Sungjong dreaded these things. "The test went very well, and I answered all of the questions to the best of my ability. I did what you and Dongwoo told me to do and I filled in those circles with pencil with the correct answer. I also proofread my work to correct my grammatical errors."

"Great. We should head out now." Sungjong grabbed onto Myungsoo's shoulder and led him walking.

Myungsoo took a careful sip of his frappuccino and looked behind him to see if anyone followed. Whenever Dongwoo or Sungjong had the chance, they escorted Myungsoo to and from his classes to make sure he never strayed off the path. Myungsoo took another sip of his drink and stuck his tongue out, missing the taste of Starbucks. "Thank you Sungjong," giving a small bow to his friend.

"You don't have to bow, Myungsoo. It's really no problem."

"Did Dongwoo do the thing?"

"Call Hoya's roommate?" Sungjong cleared his throat and scratched his head. "Dongwoo called Hoya's roommate and told him he injured himself and will not be available for two weeks. Two weeks hopefully is enough time for them to come-"

"Hey, Myungsoo!"

Myungsoo and Sungjong spun around and saw Woohyun standing right at the doors of the lecture hall, his face riddled with confusion and heading right towards the two of them.

"Let's go, Myungsoo." Sungjong tugged on Myungsoo's arm for them to walk away faster.

But Woohyun flagged them down and ran to catch up. "Myungsoo, wait!"

Before Myungsoo and Sungjong could go on, Woohyun grabbed onto Myungsoo's sweatshirt to stop him. Myungsoo tripped backwards, halting Sungjong in the process.

Woohyun glared at Myungsoo oddly, prompting Sungjong to intervene and swipe Woohyun's hand away from his friend. It was no secret that Sungyeol and Woohyun rubbed each other the wrong way, but no one had irked the class pet more than the Crown Prince himself. Through association, Sungjong took Sungyeol and Myungsoo's side. "Don't touch him, geez Woohyun. Who do you think you are?"

Myungsoo fixed his sweatshirt and brushed off the creases, lowering his head to avoid eye contact with Woohyun. Myungsoo wanted nothing more but to berate him for violating the Crown Prince's personal space and disrespecting him, but he promised Sungjong he would stay quiet. Instead, he kept his composure with little words. "What do you want to say to me, Woohyun?"

Woohyun glanced at Myungsoo, then Sungjong, then back to the prince. "What did you think about that test? We finished at the same time."

"He thought it was fine. We have to go now," Sungjong insisted, pulling on Myungsoo's arm one more time to leave.

Myungsoo raised his drink to his lips when Woohyun held onto his sweatshirt one more time, noticing something strange going on. How did this guy finish so early? First Sungyeol's essay, and now this guy Myungsoo... they can't climb up my ranking. "Where's Sungyeol?"

Sungjong pinched Myungsoo's wrist to keep him quiet, pushing the drink straw straight into his mouth so that he does not say a single word. "I think Sungyeol is still inside taking the teset. Anyways, let's go."

Myungsoo continued sipping on his drink obediently and gave one last look at Woohyun before Sungjong pulled him away, the two of them avoiding a difficult situation before it could even start.

Woohyun took a deep breath and placed his hands on the back of his head. "Don't worry about him, he's not a threat..." 

 

(((())))

 

"Oh my god."

Sungyeol leaned against the wall and dug his face into his hands, ashamed the by spectacle they caused earlier in the town center. "We're from Sweden..." he muttered to himself, smacking his head in disbelief. "We told them we got back from Sweden..."

"It was the first country that came to mind!" 

Sungyeol looked over at Hoya, lounging on his new guest bed while he played with the t of his newly-worn blue hanbok presented by the royal family. Hoya ran down the seams with his thumb, never been graced such an honor to live in the House of Kim's guest house and be bestowed the treasures and pleasures that people can dream of. The 15th century was beginning to be a blessing, at least in Hoya's point of view. 

"You told the House of Kim that of all countries, we came from Sweden..." 

"You were the one who said we were descendants of Lee Chanhoo and Lee Changmin and Lee Changchang and Lee Changwhatever."

"Lee Changmin was a real figure, not some land impossible to discover during this day and age."

Hoya sat up from the bed and smirked at Sungyeol. "Come on, you gotta admit it's pretty funny."

Sungyeol turned around and faced the wall, pressing his forehead and nose against it. Mahogany. Oak. Whatever the wood was, it coolly eased Sungyeol's emotions. "Alright... it was sort of funny."

Living in the House of Kim's royal palace struck a weird chord with Sungyeol. After their meeting with King Bang Sok, all the townspeople cheered them on as if the Lee cousins, or brothers, were hometown heroes for Korea. King Bang Sok honored their visit by allowing them to stay at the palace, in which they will share their experiences in Sweden with city officials and discuss ways to improve their nation. Sungyeol wanted move under the radar, but now the two were known by the highest of all of Joseon. 

Hoya shrugged his shoulders. "This is a disaster. A complete disaster, but I've never time travelled before and this will never happen again. This is what people like us dream of and wish existed, but finding out the reality is surreal. Why not have fun with it?"

"I know, I get it." Sungyeol turned around and arched his back, stretching out his tense muscles and leaning against the wall. "It makes sense. Until we figure out the solution, we make our stay. I mean, I'm in the Joseon Dynasty." Sungyeol pointed to himself with a smile. "This will never happen again to me, either! But still, we have to be careful. We're officially from Sweden, and we're in too deep with this lie. I'm worried about what happens if the truth is uncovered, you know? Fraud? I don't want capital punishment."

Hoya and Sungyeol shivered at the thought.

"What's the likelihood of getting beheaded for fraud?" Hoya asked.

"Shouldn't have to be beheaded if we keep this lie under control." Sungyeol ran his fingers through his head and sighed, staring down at his pruned up feet. 

Knock.

Sungyeol and Hoya looked towards their door and noticed the shadow of two figures standing on the side. Sungyeol walked over to Hoya and slowly pinched his shoulder, letting him know the two must stay vigilant of those around them and to stay silent when necessary. A red curtain draped from the top, so the only visible item of their presence were their feet. The two cousins looked at each other then back at the door. "Open," they said in unison.

A hand slipped through the curtain and slid it to the side for their reveal. In front of them was a man with a proper stance, showing his power through his raised chin and hands held together. He bore a black and indigo hanbok embroidered in silver thread, topping his outfit with the tallest had they had seen. The other stood with her hand slightly touching his waist. She wore a purple hanbok dressed with an orange top, her collar adorned with flower patterns and symbols. A red sash was tied around her waist, accentuating her slim body even in an elaborate costume. The two took one step inside of the guest room and bowed in front of Sungyeol and Hoya at a 90 degree angle.

"Hello, my name is Kim Sunggyu, Crown Prince of the House of Kim, and this is my wife-to-be Son Naeun, daughter of the King's late Chief State Councillor." Sunggyu and Naeun returned to a stand. "Welcome to my home."

A cold sweat dripped down Sungyeol's forehead, his heart almost stopping upon gracing the presence of Sunggyu. Kim Sunggyu, the Crown Prince of the House of Kim. That's a title... that's a title? The position that should have rightfully been Myungsoo's, stripped from a technicality of a lie. Sungyeol was in the presence of Myungsoo's cousin, the reason this whole situation came to be. Sungyeol clenched his fist behind his back, biting his lip to stop him from screaming. Sunggyu did not know Sungyeol's real identity, Sunggyu was going to feel his wrath soon enough.

Justice, game on.

"My name is Lee Sungyeol from the House of Lee," Sungyeol introduced, kneeling down in front of the royalty and touching his head on the cold ground for the most proper greeting he had ever given. Sunggyu sure as hell did not deserve any of it, but Sungyeol knew what he had to do to get back to the 21st century and find closure for Myungsoo. "We are thankful for your hospitality."

Hoya froze, his jaw dropped and left eye twitching.

"Hoya, bow down," Sungyeol whispered.

Hoya barely made a peep nor a move.

"Hoya!" Sungyeol jabbed Hoya's ankle. "What are you doing, bow down or else we're gonna get in trouble."

And that was when Hoya realized he had seen the most beautiful girl in his life.

Standing right in front of him, almost flirting with him without a single movement. Her eyes did all the talking Hoya needed, sparkling in the dimmest of lights to illuminate his heart. The blush on her cheeks drove Hoya crazy, wanting to spin in circles and announce to the world that Son Naeun was going to be the woman of his life. 

I am not worthy of you.

"I am Lee Howon," he finally spoke, dropping to the floor and arching his back to emphasize his reverence and lowly position to such royalty. "We are honored to be here, and we will do all we can to help out our gracious kingdom for the future of Korea."

Sunggyu nodded his head and watched Sungyeol and Hoya rise, observing the details of their actions. Their speech, their bows, their body figures, their hair, their everything, Sunggyu analyzed for his own personal reference. This was an unexpected surprise for Sunggyu to deal with house guests, as well as to have them come from an archaic family in line and come back from discovering a new land. The whole town praisd their work, and Sunggyu had no idea who they were. "We do not know much about each other, but Naeun and I would like to invite you for a dinner planned next week in our dining chambers."

"Yes." Naeun showed off a tender smile and nodded. "Please join us."

"Thank you for the invite." Sungyeol gave a quick nod. This was his opportunity to learn more about Myungsoo's family and lay the uncertainties to rest. Sungyeol was going to get Sunggyu, any way he could. "We gladly accept-"

"As the oldest brother of the House of Lee," Hoya took a step forward and directed his comment straight to Naeun, squeezing in a quick grin for the soon-to-be princess, who Hoya wanted as a princess of his own. Hoya heard loud and clear that Naeun was in a relationship with Sunggyu, presenting a challenge for Hoya. Can he share a moment with Son Naeun before he must return to 2014? "We gladly accept the invitation and look forward to eating dinner with you and your family."

Sungyeol raised his eyebrow, confused where this charismatic fellow came from. "Yeah..."

Sunggyu stared at Hoya, glancing at Naeun afterwards. Sunggyu could not tell whether Hoya was staring at his future wife or not, but the Lee brothers suddenly gave him an uneasy feeling of jealousy. "Please, now go rest up and ask any of our guards for help around the house."

Naeun smiled at Hoya and nodded, oblivious to any action around her. "We cannot wait to share this momentous occasion with the two of you."

 

(((())))

 

Myungsoo kept his hat low and his eyes inconspicuous to everyone around him. Walking around campus felt claustrophobic, especially during the top of the hour when everyone was moving to a new lecture. Myungsoo was alone on campus with only the clothes on his back and Sungyeol's paperwork in his backpack.

The plan was simple. Myungsoo followed Sungyeol enough to know all the locations to his classes, so until they figured out how to get Sungyeol back, the Crown Prince would play history student in the meantime. It was the best possible way they could buy time without Sungyeol's grades plummeting. 

Myungsoo headed for History 49, a class that did not particularly interest him. Myungsoo had only attended two lectures of the class and fell asleep in both of them. This was the only class of Sungyeol's that he never paid attention with, but he did his best to stay awake for Sungyeol's grade. 

Myungsoo needed to pass by the Student Union Building to get to the hall, looking down at his feet as he sped past students to get to class. "Do not let anyone notice you," Myungsoo repeated to himself.

There were two rules Myungsoo lived by these days: Go to all of Sungyeol's classes, and do not get recognized.

It was part of the plan, and it had been successful for the past week.

"Myungsoo!"

"Huh?" Myungsoo jerked, turning around to see who it was.

Suddenly a petite, long-haired girl in a floral top and blue skirt stood before him. She carried her books in her delicate hands, sporting the sweetest smile on her face. "Myungsoo, do you remember me?"

Myungsoo's jaw dropped, shifting from side-to-side nervously. "Oh, Taeyeon. Hello there."

 

(((())))

 

"You do NOT say anything about Sungyeol," Sungjong lectured.

"You tell them "Sungyeol is in the bathroom", "Sungyeol is with his brother", "Sungyeol is sick", and you end the conversation there." Dongwoo pointed at Myungsoo, emphasizing how important this was. "You do not stay in a conversation long enough to explain anything. Stick with the what, and leave. Never deal with the why."

Myungsoo sat on the dining room chair, getting a lesson on how to lay low at Korea University and become Sungyeol in class without anyone having to find out. Dongwoo and Sungjong circled around Myungsoo, laying down all the information needed for this plan to work.

"You do not participate in Sungyeol's lectures," Dongwoo ordered.

"Stay in the back of the class and do not say a word. When class ends, you do not talk to anyone." Sungjong grabbed onto Myungsoo's collar and pulled him close, their noses touching like they were about to kiss. Except, it was more of a tirade. "Sungyeol doesn't do in his classes, and you shouldn't either!"

Dongwoo grabbed onto Myungsoo's sleeve and pulled him in an opposite direction. "You only go to Sungyeol's classes and you come home immediately after. Do not go to club meetings, do not go to Starbucks, do not go anywhere along the way back home."

"And most of all..."

"The most important thing you need to know..."

Dongwoo and Sungjong pulled on the prince like fighting over a teddy bear, taking him off the chair and almost ripping his shirt for the final word.

"Do NOT talk to Taeyeon."

 

(((())))

 

Myungsoo broke the last rule.

"Where is Sungyeol?" Taeyeon smiled, looking around to see if he was around. "I don't see Sungyeol these days without you."

"Uh," Myungsoo hummed, trying to remember what Dongwoo and Sungjong told him to keep a low profile. "Sungyeol is sick today. I am not with him." Myungsoo gave Taeyeon a slight bow to signify his departure.

But before he could walk away, Taeyeon gently grabbed onto his arm. "What happened to Sungyeol? What does he have?"

Another rule broken.

"I... um..." Myungsoo panicked, his back sweating bullets from staying longer than he was supposed to. "I think he is sick with a sickness. I mean a cold."

Taeyeon tilted her head, slightly confused by his statement. She brushed it off. "That's a shame..."

"Ok, I must go now-"

Taeyeon did not let go of Myungsoo's arm, taking another step forward to talk to her. Myungsoo took one deep breath and could smell her scent, her perfume almost intoxicating and leaving him paralyzed. "Wait, before you leave."

Myungsoo held his breath. At this point, almost every rule was broken.

"I know that you and me haven't hung out before, but I see you and him all the time, and Sungyeol told me one time that the two of us have a lot in common."

Myungsoo opened his mouth, trying to find the right words to segway him out of this conversation. His reaction time was slow. "I think I need to subway," he flubbed.

"Oh." Taeyeon brought her hands to her chin, thinking of a plan B. "Maybe tomorrow, I can meet you after your class ends?"

"Sungyeol might still be sick tomorrow, which means I can be the only person who hangs out. Maybe-"

"That's fine with me," Taeyeon smiled, finally letting go of Myungsoo's arm. A hangout was set for the two of them, one that Taeyeon took initiative in planning.

Myungsoo could barely comprehend what just occurred, his mouth open as he had only a few more seconds to back out of this hangout with his current interest's ex-girlfriend. "Taeyeon."

"Let's meet at Starbucks at 6 o' clock," Taeyeon declared. She smiled at Myungsoo before walking past him, leaving him shocked right in front of the Student Union Building. Myungsoo tried to follow Taeyeon, but his lower body could not move. 

Tomorrow, I am going out with Sungyeol's ex-girlfriend for Starbucks.

Every rule was broken.

 

(((())))

 

These days, Sunggyu cherished the moments he had by himself.

Sunggyu rested against the railings of the palace bridge, finding a peace of mind at the water garden. These spring days, more animals and plants took shelter in their man-made habitat. The sun began to rise for another fruitful day in the House of Kim, to which Sunggyu needed to meet with the newest military official to discuss their steps to solidifying relations with Japan and journeying to the unknown lands of Sweden.

Sunggyu watched as a frog jumped from pad to pad, each landing creating little ripples in the pond. Sunggyu breathed in the morning dew and exhaled his stresses. The diplomatic relations the Crown Prince had to deal with stressed him out to a great deal, affecting his body and his mind. Sunggyu's combat classes suffered because he was too weak to go on, and his mind wandered all over the place. Adding Sungyeol and Hoya's stay at the palace, everything crowded around him and gave him no room to breath. 

 

Sungyeol woke up early that morning and dressed in a purple and brown hanbok, the fabric light and soft for him to walk with ease. The pleasant morning breathed life into Sungyeol, who even though gained much anxiety through this experience, wanted to soak in the 15th century to its fullest potential. Sungyeol walked through the water garden and saw Sunggyu standing at the bridge.

Sungyeol paused and attempted to turn back, but Sunggyu had already heard his foosteps and felt the vibrations of the bridge. Sunggyu kept an indifferent look and bowed in front of him. "Good morning, Sungyeol."

Sungyeol had no choice but to stay, returning the bow. "Good morning, Prince Sunggyu."

Sunggyu had not yet made an opinion on Sungyeol or Hoya. Sunggyu and Sungyeol had barely talked since the House of Lee's arrival due to different schedules. A dinner was planned, but it was not for another couple of days. This was the first time the two were alone, face-to-face. "What do you think about my home?"

Sungyeol walked over towards Sunggyu and placed his hands on the railing, stretching his back as he looked over the scene of the frog jumping from destination to destination. Sungyeol already had his opinion set on the fake Crown Prince. It was only a matter of keeping his enemy closer to confirm suspicions. "The home is quite lovely."

"Who is your family again? You said you were a descendant of Lee Changmin?" Sunggyu asked.

"Yes. And my father is Lee Chanhoo, who was received out of wedlock."

It made sense to Sunggyu why he had never heard of Lee Chanhoo. "Is Howon your only sibling?"

This point was make it or break it. Sungyeol needed to carefully craft what he said or else any caught lie could be turned against him. For the sake of his 15th Century story, it was better for Sungyeol to state what has already been seen. "Howon is my only brother."

"And is your mother and father alive?"

"Both of my parents have passed away. My mother when I was young, and my father passed away in Sweden."

Sunggyu nodded his head.

Now was Sungyeol's turn to ask some questions.

"A guard told me that in recent times, your uncle died."

Sunggyu side-eyed Sungyeol and cleared his throat. "He was poisoned during a return party from Japan."

"I am sorry to hear that," Sungyeol bowed.

Sunggyu cleared his throat one more time. He greatly disliked people bringing this topic up. "Life can sweep people away when you least expect it."

Or people can be the ones who sweep people away. "How is the life-"

"I need to attend to my duties now."

"Wait, hold on." Sungyeol put his hang out. "I thought we were talking."

Sunggyu interrupted Sungyeol and bowed apologetically for leaving. Two was a crowd, and the only place where Sunggyu could be by himself was intruded. He held no responbilities for another hour, but he was done talking to Sungyeol. He refused to talk to him about a topic like that. "I need to have a meeting, but I will talk to you soon."

"Oh, ok." Sungyeol was suspcious of the sudden goodbye, watching Sunggyu take his leave back into the palace. Come on Sunggyu, not discrete at all. Sunggyu's rash actions only proved Sungyeol's greater point that he was a liar and a murderer. Sunggyu only needed to admit it and say it out loud. Sungyeol was going to find the truth. Through the grass, the cherry blossom trees, the blossoming flowers.

Sungyeol could not believe such an ugly thing can pollute a beautiful garden.

 

(((())))

 

Hoya journeyed to the town's marketplace during the afternoon, wishing to purchase some snacks to eat. Hoya was a celebrity in the Joseon era, greeted by everyone around him. Families wanted Hoya to carry their children, old ladies wanted to shower him with gifts, and many men wanted to be him. Sungyeol and Hoya had distinct looks that attracted many people, especially because of their layered hair. Their hair was significantly shorter than many people during the era, which caught attention by everyone around them. Some men decided cutting their hair to match the same style as the Lees.

Hoya kept to himself, holding onto his phone and jeohwa currency to make a swift trip to the market. He loved talking to the people around him, but he remembered to humble himself, as request from Sungyeol.

But there was one person that Hoya could not contain himself from.

Passing through the market, Hoya noticed Naeun shopping for some fresh produce. Her all-pink hanbok was adorned with emblems of the kingdom and dangling jewels. Her hair was tied up, making her gorgeous face clear for everyone to see. Hoya was hypnotized by her jawline and neck, which was perfectly shaped and defined. These little details teased Hoya, his eyes rolling back as he mustered up the courage to speak to her. This was the first time since their previous meeting they would encounter each other.

"Son Naeun, my lady." Naeun turned to catch Hoya walking towards her, bowing at 90 degrees to greet her. "A fine day for shopping."

Naeun greeted Hoya back with a bow and smiled. "I am looking for fruits and vegetables. Your name is Howon, correct?"

"My name is Howon, but you can call me by my nickname: Hoya."

"Hoya..." Naeun repeated the name in her head as she moved some fruits around the crates. "Are you shopping as well?"

Hoya was at the peak of his flirting game. "I am shopping, searching for the things in life that make my heart sing."

Naeun giggled, choosing a piece of ripe fruit for herself. She turned to look at Hoya when she noticed the phone in his hands, an object that she had never encountered in her life. "What is that, Hoya?" pointing straight at it.

Hoya was caught up taking in the beauty that was Son Naeun, he could barely comprehend a word she said. "I'm sorry, what?"

"What is that in your hand?"

Hoya looked down at his hands and saw his phone, which was finally drained of all water and surprisingly functional in the 1400s. The battery allowed for the phone to turn on, but the only thing that worked was the camera, memo, and music player. Any application in need of an internet connection failed to work. "This smartphone right here is a premiere technology from Sweden, made of a lot of newly discovered metals in their land. The Swedish people have coined this type of technology called electricity. With my help, I will be able to show you how to create this. Not only will this electricity help create this tool right here, but we can use electricity to replace fire in our lamps."

"Can it really?" Naeun shook his head in disbelief. "You cannot replace fire."

"But yes we can. The Sweden were able to do it, so why can't I?" Hoya smirked.

Naeun's face lit up, grabbing onto another piece of fruit for purchase. "I do not know what electricity is, but I am interested in learning more about it."

"I'll give you a deal." Hoya sorted through the bruised fruit and chose a single piece from the bottom, passing it to Naeun. "I will teach you electricity if you do one thing for me."

"And what would that be, Hoya?"

"I will court you," Hoya smirked.

"I am going to marry Kim Sunggyu, the Crown Prince of Korea," Naeun insisted.

"You can't do that."

Naeun slightly turned her head. Hoya's personality piqued her curiosity, and the way he acted was as if he was smitten with her. Naeun blushed, her smile bright from flattery. Two could play that game. "You should not be telling me who I can and cannot marry. Especially when person is as handsome as you. Men like you have multiple suitors on their hands, do you not?"

"A man like me has no suitors," Hoya started, attempting to wrap his arm around Naeun's shoulders. Naeun turned to the side to stare at a box of green vegetables, her gaze gone unnoticed of Hoya's move. Hoya almost touched her shoulder when he caught eye with the merchant, an older female who grimly stared at the 21st century man. Hoya clutched his hand and slyly dropped his arm, remembering that there are certain moves that may be seen as disrespectful during the 15th century.

So if touch was not an option, all he had was his words.

"A man like me has no suitors because they don't want any woman in their lives. They're finding the perfect half, and I think you might be the one who can complete me."

Naeun double-took, shocked by Hoya's words. "I can complete you?"

"Yes," was as blunt as Hoya can get, taking a step closer to look into Naeun's eyes, caressing her with his stare because he could not do anymore. "Don't marry Sunggyu."

"You are persistent, Howon."

"I know I am."

Naeun crossed her arms, staring at the ground and avoiding eye contact. "You do not want me marrying Sunggyu?"

"Exactly."

Naeun bit her tongue, pulling down on her earlobe nervously. She should not be having a conversation like this with a man she had only met for a week, especially as a respected person of the court and as the future king's wife. She hugged her fruits and stared at Hoya sternly. "Why do you say that?"

Hoya smirked, raising an eyebrow. "You just met me." Naeun stood still, immobile from everything. Hoya did his job, but to drill his sincerity into Naeun, he leaned in closer to whisper in her delicate ear, centimeters away from touching her ear and fingers with his lips. "You just met me, and if you want to know more about your future husband, you have to talk to him a little bit more."