When it Hits the Fan

21st Century Kim

When we last ended our story, Myungsoo encountered a new toy he had never seen in his entire life. Well, toys like that actually existed in the Joseon Era. The first weapon that used gunpowder was the cannon during the Goryeo Era, the one right before the Joseon. Of course, our Crown Prince had yet to see gunpowder and cannons evolve into the form seen in our previous chapter. 

The longer Myungsoo stays in 2014, a new history is written for himself as he deals with new issues he never thought imaginable. What Myungsoo and the rest of our players do not realize is that this comes with repercussions and consequences. From this point on, this is when everything truly hits the fan.

The story continues.

 

(((())))

 

Dongwoo and Sungjong shared a lengthy conversation after their respective club meetings, ending their long Wednesday night to return to the Lee residence. It was a few blocks away from the subway to the apartment, and the boys took their sweet time to enjoy the hazy night and unwind. 

"I'm telling you," Sungjong started, opening his mouth wide for a gigantic bite into his red apple. The obnoxious crunch was loud enough for Dongwoo to cringe next to him. "Those people have no idea what they're talking about. I tell them to make the charts, and what do they give me? Nothing!" he complained, bits and pieces of apple sputtering out.

"Shut your mouth when you eat, aish!" Dongwoo complained, covering Sungjong's mouth with his hand and lowering his hat to cover his eyes. Not only for that purpose, but he truly wanted Sungjong to stay quiet for a single second on their walk back to the apartment. "I would expect economics majors would be the one pressured to finish theri deadlines on time."

"You would think that," Sungjong talked through Dongwoo's hand, purposefully salivating to dirty up Dongwoo's palm with apple bits. "But that's not the case. How do they expect to work after college if this is their ethic?"

"What is your problem!" Dongwoo groaned, pulling his hand back and wiping it on his jeans. "You think you're gonna get a job acting like that, huh?!" Dongwoo shook his head and pushed Sungjong's shoulder, knocking him a little off balance and launching his half-bitten apple into the air. The two of the watched as the apple slammed against the back of an unsuspecting person's neck, who drifted forward and turned to Dongwoo and Sungjong. He held a stern look, clutching onto a walkie-talkie in one hand and fixing his cap with another.

A cop.

"What the..." Sungjong raised an eyebrow.

In fact, the whole area was filled with cops as Dongwoo and Sungjong arrived to the apartment. Police cars parked on the curb with their sirens flashing, reflecting off a small crowd of people standing behind the yellow caution tape. The whole entrance was barricaded, and cops surrounded the premises searching through first floor windows for something. It was an urgent scene the two boys did not expect to stumble upon.

"What is going on?" Dongwoo wondered, scratching his head. He spotted a person standing by herself, scared alone. Her arms were shaking profusely, sweat dripping down her forehead as it looked like she just saw a ghost. Dongwoo and Sungjong walked up to her hoping for an answer. "Miss, are you ok?" Dongwoo asked concerningly.

The woman shook her head and recognized Sungjong as one of her neighbors from upstairs. "You live here, correct?" She asked, holding her finger at Sungjong.

"Yes," Sungjong responded, biting his lip and observing the scene around him. People he had interacted with at his apartment were all panicked, holding onto each other, some of them even crying. But what worried him the most...

Myungsoo, where is he?

The woman covered with her hands and shook her head, traumatized by the whole scene. "One of the residents on the top floor, Shin Pyo, brought a gun into our apartment and started threatening people."

"I never thought he would be the type of person to do that." Sungjong was in disbelief, weaving his fingers through his hair in increasing stress. "I met him maybe once or twice."

"I don't know if you've met his wife before, but the story is yesterday, her and their two sons went missing. Well, let's face it. I'm sure she just left him and took the kids with her. Now, he's going on a rampage and took the apartment hostage. Some of us made it out safely, but the rest of the apartment is on lockdown."

Dongwoo and Sungjong shared a frightened look, their hearts stopping in that same second and crashing to the floor. A cold sweat dripped down Sungjong's face as all blood stopped rushing through his body. Dongwoo felt the same way, both of them fearing the exact same thing.

"Myungsoo," they both said in unison.

 

(((())))

 

Myungsoo took a step back into the apartment, hugging his laundry basket tighter as the mysterious gentleman followed him into the apartment with the toy pointed at his head. Never been so confused, Myungsoo was unsure how to react. He could barely understand if this was a good or bad situation.

"How are you?" the man asks unsuspectingly.

"I am fine," Myungsoo responds, clearing his throat as he takes a natural step back towards the hallway near the bedrooms. "I... I do not believe you have permission to be here. I do not know who you are."

"But I'm one of the neighbors! Pyo. Shin Pyo." Wherever Myungsoo walked to, Pyo followed his path.

Myungsoo looked over his shoulder as he took another step towards the hallway, instinctively moving towards Sungyeol's bedroom. "Why... why was the other neighbor screaming," he stuttered.

"Come on, don't be nervous!" Pyo urged with a sly smirk. "I'm not here to bite."

Myungsoo nodded his head, weaving his fingers into the slits of the basket as he pushed Sungyeol's door open with his shoulder. There as not enough time for him to process the situation, and he barely knew what to believe. All Myungsoo focused on was the black toy right in front of him, and how Pyo continued aiming it right at his head. If only Myungsoo knew the truth of what it truly was. 

"What's your name?" Pyo asked, cunning in his voice.

"My name is..." Myungsoo almost forgot his name from how nervous he was. "Kim Myungsoo. Of the House of Kim."

"Your last name is Kim?" the stranger asked, biting his lip to wait for a response.

"Yes," Myungsoo nodded.

"I know a Kim," Pyo responded.

"Really?" Myungsoo lost concentration for a moment with the situation at hand, distracted at the mention of another Kim in Pyo's life. "Maybe... maybe we are related."

"Do you know her?" Pyo instigated. "Her name is Kim Soojung."

"That is a very pretty name."

"It is, right? She is my wife, and she went missing. As well as my two children."

Missing? A family affair, and Myungsoo was caught in the middle of it. "I am saddened to hear your family is missing, and I hope they are ok. Is there any way I can help you? Where do you think they had gone?"

"I don't know, Kim Myungsoo..." Pyo snided as he took a step closer. "You tell me."

 

(((())))

 

The well was deep.

Daehyun perched over the water and stared at the piece of Myungsoo's hanbok in the reflection. The longer he stared down, a sickening truth of Myungsoo's disappearance paled his heart. Daehyun refused to believe that was a possible option, but all signs pointed to Myungsoo having done something by the well. The rest of the details were unwritten.

Myungsoo... you would not drown yourself, would you?

The uncomfortable silence and rustling of the trees left Daehyun in unrest. He took one look at Kkocheun, who at this point was sleeping like the goddess she was. Daehyun made a promise to himself he would find Myungsoo, but he believed in the idea that he would find him alive. 

But, was accepting a hard truth better than not finding out the truth at all?

Daehyun sat at the edge of the well, using the cloth of Myungsoo's hanbok to cover his nostrils and mouth. Daehyun stared up to the sky, the clouds spotting the sky and partially covering the half moon that illuminated the forest. This could have been the last time Myungsoo looked up towards the sky. With his feet submerged in the water, Daehyun splashed his feet and watched the water sparkle in the air before i dropped back to ripple. After some time spent to wonder the what if, there could no longer be room for ifs.

Daehyun needed to know, and Myungsoo deserved it.

With one breath to hold him over, Daehyun closed his eyes and jumped into the water.

"He is here!"

Daehyun could hear the clammoring of something above the surface, the water suddenly illuminated by a trickling flame and coloring the water. With his head fully under the water, something took hold of his neck and hoisted him out of the water.

Still in the same forest, Daehyun came face-to-face with the same man he spited before running away. "Sunggyu," Daehyun gasped, splashing water all over his enemy to get him off.

Sunggyu's grip was too powerful as the anger settled within him. No one would disobey his orders, and no one was foiling his plans. "Did you find my cousin," he barked, shaking his head as he threw Daehyun out of the well and right on the ground where Kkocheun panicked, neighing for help as Daehyun was defenseless. Sunggyu walked over Daehyun's body, shaking his head at the betrayal he faced by a royal guard. "I hope you realize you are done for, now."

Suddenly, Daehyun knew nothing else but bursted into tears. Letting out a loud cry into the forest, he woke up everything around him as more officials surrounded him for the arrest. Daehyun had tried his hardest for his best friend, but his hardest was not enough to find him and return him safely to the kingdom. Instead, he awaited a life of execution, probably at the hands of the forbidden prince, and a realization on Myungsoo. Daehyun stared at the cloth in his hands one more time before passing it onto Sunggyu, sobbing at his arrest. "A piece of Myungsoo's hanbok was hanging from this well. I think he went inside.  I think he..." Daehyun mourned, shaking his head as the tears and water dripped to the ground. 

Sunggyu's eyes widened, his jaw dropping in disbelief at what he saw. And what was implied. "No..."

Because even for Sunggyu, even with his hidden agenda, he never thought Myungsoo would really drown himself.

 

(((())))

 

Sungyeol returned home as if he was a new person, the burden of his past finally being lifted off his shoulders. The next chapter of Sungyeol's life began right when he walked into the history department's office, and strolling out with his hands in his pockets and his chin lifted up high, Sungyeol saw a brighter future for himself. Circumstances will challenge him, but it was nothing he could not overcome. For the first time, Sungyeol realized how happy he was, how good life was, and how great it was to be surrounded by people like his brother, Dongwoo, and especially Myungsoo. Now he had one more person to add.

"It was Myungsoo's first time ever driving a car yesterday, and Dongwoo was in the front seat trying to guide him with everything," Sungyeol explained to Taeyeon, who decided to walk him home and catch up after their separation. It was a different feeling of the two of them having each other back in their lives. Though they shared romantic feelings before, their conversation was nothing but friendly and amicable. 

"Ya, he drove on the streets and he's never driven before?!" Taeyeon gasped.

Sungyeol giggled as he continued the story. "I feel stupid. It didn't seem like that bad of an idea at first, until Myungsoo pushed the gas and reversed the whole car for two blocks. At least the street was empty, we did it at night!" Reflecting on that night, all he could truly remember was Myungsoo's giddy face when Dongwoo presented the opportunity of driving his car. Myungsoo held onto the steering wheel with the silliest grin on his face, taking one look at Dongwoo before he started driving. Myungsoo was always intrigued by the public transportation in the 21st century, and it was time he had ever controlled something, well other than a horse. Seeing Myungsoo that excited got Sungyeol the same as well, even if it meant Myungsoo nearly crashed Dongwoo's car backwards. "After it was all over, Sungjong jumped over his seat and I swear, if he ever had the opportunity he would stab Myungsoo. Myungsoo and Sungjong are good friends, but since Myungsoo is naive it can drive my brother crazy."

Taeyeon nodded her head, intrigued by all of the updating. She noticed how much Sungyeol's face lit up talking about his new roommate, that Taeyeon realized she does not know much else. Crossing her arms, she wanted to know more about Myungsoo. "I'm sorry, I think I met Myungsoo once when I came over to... how did you two meet?"

How did we meet? It had been a while since Sungyeol explained the fake story of Myungsoo's origin. It had been ingrained and normalized that Myungsoo was with them, sometimes Sungyeol forgot for the moment that he is a Crown Prince of the Joseon Dynasty. The whole thing was still a mystery waiting to be solved. "Myungsoo and Sungjong were classmates, and we invited him to our apartment after he had roommate problems." I don't even remember if that was the correct story anymore... "You know, Myungsoo is really cool and I think you would get along with him. He also knows a lot about history, more than you know," Sungyeol smirked. "If you want to spend a couple minutes at our apartment, I'll introduce you more to him."

Taeyeon smiled, trying to remember the last time she even hung out with Sungyeol. It was a tempting invitation, but Taeyeon had to return to a lot of business. "Maybe next time, Sungyeol. I have to finish grading some papers for History 72. How about next Friday?"

As Sungyeol and Taeyeon approached the apartment, they stumbled upon a disarray of heightened emotions and raised voices at the entrance. The area was more crowded than ever. It was a lot of Sungyeol to take in at once, barely registering what was going on. Coming out of the crowd was Sungjong, who ran towards his brother with a frustrated look and Dongwoo grabbing onto his arm to stop him.

"Hyung, where have you been!" Sungjong screamed at him, clawing his hands to get to Sungyeol's neck to strangle him. Dongwoo held onto Sungjong's waist to keep him in check, ripping him away from his brother. "Why aren't you answering your phone?!"

Sungyeol stepped back startled, gently grabbing onto Taeyeon's arm and close to using her as a human shield away from his younger brother. Sungjong had never been so upset. Sungjong was always known to be ill-tempered, but not in this way. "Nice seeing you too. My phone is dead, what the hell!"

"Your phone is dead at a time like this!"

Sungjong leaped forward, but Dongwoo wrestled Sungjong away and covered his mouth to keep him quiet. Sungjong screamed through his hand for him Dongwoo to let go of him, but Dongwoo needed to calm everyone down.

Sungyeol glanced at the front of the apartment and realized the whole area was surrounded by cops and neighbors standing around. Sirens alarmed as another police vehicle passed by the four of them, this time a larger van with a reinforced frame. The van parked close to the entrance, and the door slid with more cops running out ease the situation. This time, these cops wore more protective gear for their face and their bodies. A bad feeling loomed over Sungyeol's head. "What... what is going on?" Sungyeol stuttered.

Dongwoo's eyes teared up as his hand slid down Sungjong's mouth, still fired up, but calmer than seconds ago. Sungjong took one careful look at his brother, moments away from breaking down right in front of him. "Hyung... there's a hostage situation at the apartment, and I think Myungsoo is inside," he finally confessed.

Sungyeol's jaw dropped as he turned to Taeyeon, unaccepting of what he just heard. He stared up at his apartment window, the bright lights on without a single shadow walking in its vision. Sungyeol's lip quivered, chills sent down his spine as different scenarios of what could be happening entered his mind. Sungyeol opened his mouth, trying to find the words to say but muted by the situation.

"We don't know if he's safe or not. He might be in one of your rooms hiding, we can't afford to think negatively right now," Dongwoo assured, massaging Sungjong's shoulders to calm him down. 

"We have to get inside. Myungsoo was never taught anything like that before," Sungyeol panicked.

"You can't, everything is guarded. We already tried," Dongwoo shook his head.

"Taught what?" Taeyeon asked.

"What?" Sungyeol realized what he said, but quickly disregarded it to avoid dealing with a time travel and violent tragedy at his hands. Sungyeol was close to having a mental breakdown, his heart beating the fastest it ever had as if it would implode on him. The thought of Myungsoo in grave danger rendered Sungyeol immobile, "Nothing. Look, I don't care what the police say. We need to get ourselves inside there now!"

 

(((())))

 

Myungsoo placed the laundry basket on the floor and raised his body slowly to a straight stance, taking a single step back until he was against the wall, his hands pressed against Sungyeol's window sill. The room that was once familiar to him every night was a blur, and his blinders only focused on Pyo, who stood firm in front of him with the black machine still raised towards his forehead. As more time passed, Myungsoo's worries immensely increased at Pyo's intentions. 

Nothing heard but the sound of their breaths.

"What are you holding?" Myungsoo gulped, biting his lip to return to silence.

Pyo let out an arrogant chuckle. "You don't know what this is?" As if he denounced Myungsoo's intelligence at something incredibly obvious.

Well, not to someone from the past. 

"No, I do not recognize that," Myungsoo confirmed, letting out a short breath.

"Well, maybe I should demonstrate for you."

Without another second wasted, Pyo turned his gun from Myungsoo's face to Sungyeol's window to shoot. A glass explosion, shattered pieces flying in and out of the room. Tiny pieces pierced Myungsoo's hand, neck, and ear, letting out a desperate scream and used his hand to shield his face from the shards. Myungsoo fell forward onto Sungyeol's bed, taking up the corner between the bedside and the wall for shelter. 

 

"You have to let us in. Our roommate is in huge danger," Sungyeol begged to one of the standing officers, who was holding his arms out to prevent people from barging through the tape. "A lot is at stake here."

"Sir, everyone here is suffering through the same danger. I know that you may have a loved one inside, but all of you need to stay put. If anything is triggered, not only will you hurt yourselves, but you may hurt your roommate in the process. We all need to stay calm," the cop assured.

"No, this is different," Sungjong snapped.

"This really is. Our roommate is a special person." Sungyeol fiddled with his fingers, his stare changing back and forth between their apartment window and the cop keeping them out of the apartment.

The four of them stood bargaining with the police to allow them access to the apartment. It was a feeble attempt, and even though they knew the probable answer was no, it was worth a shot. "I'm sorry, but this is for the safety of everyone inside the apartment and everyone out here. We cannot make any sudden movements to provoke the suspect."

Kim Myungsoo, the Crown Prince of the House of Kim, has no idea what's going on right now, and I'd rather that the guy I've been reading in the history books for the past several weeks stays alive, and that I return him to his kingdom in one piece! Not to mention... Myungsoo, I really need you to be ok.

Suddenly, a glass explosion rang in the ears of everyone outside. Clear cuts scattered, trickling down the apartment like rain. The crowd panicked, ducking down and covering each other for protection. The police grew ansy, pushing everyone back to keep them out of line.

Dongwoo, Sungyeol, Sungjong, and Taeyeon stared up at the shattered window, capturing the image of a distressed person at their peripheral. Sungyeol's heart jumped as he dug his fingers into his brother's arm, close to ripping it off. The four of them knew exactly what window broke and who they saw standing there.

"Hyung, that's our apartment," Sungjong cried.

Sungyeol closed his eyes, turning his face away as the pain tortured him. The pain of knowing. "Myungsoo..."

 

(((())))

 

"This is what I'll use to kill you if you do not follow everything I say and do," Pyo threatened, aiming his gun back at the defenseless prince.

Eyes closed shut, Myungsoo nervously opened them one-by-one until he had a clear vision of Pyo standing in front of him. His weapon of choice, moving at the speed of light and blowing Sungyeol's window to smithereens. It was almost a magical little object with a lot of power. Myungsoo had yet to understand its capabilities, but learned a little more upon Pyo's violent rage. What to expect next? "I will follow."

"Get up, and we go to the kitchen." Pyo shook his gun in front of Myungsoo's face, pressing him to stand up quickly and charge for the door.

With his head down, Myungsoo stared at his feet and followed every step made towards the kitchen. A short walk was an eternity, misplacing the path and swaying back and forth as Myungsoo returned to the living room and kitchen area. Myungsoo obediently followed orders, raising his head slightly and biting his tongue to keep quiet. His clothes stuck to his sweaty body, every limb stiff and sharp. Myungsoo took one breath through his nose, waiting for the next command that would decide his fate.

"Turn around."

Myungsoo gave a slight nod, twisting his body around until he met eyes once again with Pyo. The prince could see the burning hatred in Pyo's eyes. Someone he had never met before, a chance encounter, and Myungsoo foresaw the harm intended on himself. 

That was when Myungsoo's life flashed before him, the history leading up unto this very moment. His life as a prince, his life in 2014, his life in the history books. I was supposed to die in history. I was supposed to be executed. Is this my time? Fate is cruel. "Pyo, please reconsider this," Myungsoo whimpered.

Pyo smacked his lips, as if that was an idiotic suggestion. "You have nothing to offer me unless you tell me where my wife is."

"But, I have no knowledge where she is..."

"Exactly." Pyo raised his gun higher, causing Myungsoo to flinch. "Why can everyone else be happy when I can't?"

"Are you really going to do this to me?" Myungsoo asked, closing his eyes and hesitating to speak more. He did not want to provoke the situation, but maybe if he tried to understand him things would be ok. "What if we can find your wife and children, together?"

Pyo clicked his tongue, as if that would solve his problems. "You think that will solve your problems, my problems? I go to the police for help, and they cannot help me. What can you possibly do?"

The extremity of Pyo's mental state was secondary to the bigger picture. Myungsoo truly believed he could easily solve his problems, acting on his power and authority as a prince to ease the situation. Even in fear, Myungsoo had to convince himself that Pyo was a good person who was misunderstood. The prince had heard that story before. "I understand the pain being separated by family. My father was killed, and my mother and brother are in another time without any notice of where I went. Circumstance brought us apart, like you. But I have not given up to return to my family. I have people who are helping me, and if we all work together, we can help you out." The sincerity of Myungsoo's voice brought him to tears as he was reminded of his own problems, hearing himself speak reminded him that he shared the same feelings as Pyo. He used to be Pyo, and now Myungsoo owed it to him to help him. By the blood on his face, he was willing to help.

Pyo was stunned, paralyzed by Myungsoo's words for a split second. A second that a stranger he was planning on hurting wanted to help him. A second that this person standing in front of him cried to keep him alive. A second that Pyo actually listened to Myungsoo.

That second passed by quickly.

"Doing anything to live, huh? Wanting to help me, huh? What an admirable person, but I can see through all of that. You are like everyone else who has tried to help me. You are nothing to me."

Pyo grinned, furrowing his eyebrows as his finger pressed the trigger.

"MYUNGSOO!"

The apartment door was fiercely kicked open, surprising Pyo and Myungsoo as a tall, lanky figure stood by the door with his fists clenched and his heart on the line.

"SUNGYEOL!" Myungsoo screamed.

Panicked, Pyo aimed his gun swiftly at Sungyeol and made his first shot.

The bullet passed by Sungyeol's arm and pierced right through the hallway walls.

Of course, not without grazing the side of Sungyeol's arm first, which splattered blood all over his arms and clothes.

Sungyeol gritted his teeth from the bullet, grabbing onto his arm to stop the blood. Leaning his back against the wall, Sungyeol slid down as the agonizing pain rushed to his arm. There was no time to react.

Taking advantage of the situation, Pyo was ready for his next shot and aimed once again at Sungyeol. Myungsoo caught this, with the corner of his eye watching Sungyeol bleeding to his demise. I need to get that way from him. With quick thinking, Myungsoo grabbed a pot from the kitchen and bum rushed towards Pyo, smacking the gun out of his hands then taking one smack at Pyo's face. The gun flew in the air and slid under their couch with no time for anyone to retrieve it. Myungsoo held onto the pot, breathing heavily as he waited for Pyo to make his next move. 

Pyo regained his consciousness, wiping the blood dripping from the side of his lip as he glared at Myungsoo, realizing what he was up against. "You are mine now," he muttered, lurching forward straight into Myungsoo's gut and tackling him out of the apartment and into the hallway.

Sungyeol saw the two bumrushed out of the apartment and rolled to his side to avoid the fall, still too injured to function. Pyo slammed Myungsoo right into the hallway, his back right against the spot where the bullet went through. Myungsoo gripped into Pyo's shoulders, digging his nails to take control. It was like Myungsoo was in a sparring fight with his cousin, and the prince was ready to show what he was capable of. 

Myungsoo quickly wrapped his ankle around Pyo's to trip him backwards, throwing him against the door as he lost control. This was followed by a ferocious kick to Pyo's stomach, the prince letting out a battle cry as he attacked his predator. The anger of Pyo hurting Sungyeol fueled him even more, especially after he tried to help. If there was one lesson the Compassionate Prince learned, it was that not everyone could be helped, and he came to terms with Pyo's character.

Pyo followed the attack with a punch in each hand, Myungsoo swaying his head to miss the first, but received the last punch that sent him back against the wall. Myungsoo's slammed against the frame of a painting, deciding to grab the painting and smack Pyo in the face with it. Though taken aback, Pyo took back control and grabbed onto the other side of the painting to grab it out of Myungsoo's hands and push him towards the floor. Pyo was on top of Myungsoo, giving Myungsoo one hard punch to the side of his face.

"STOP!" Myungsoo cried, unable to escape Pyo's final grasp.

Pyo brought his arm under Myungsoo's chin to choke him, cutting off all oxygen from Myungsoo's breath. As Pyo's arm pressed harder against Myungsoo's adam's apple, the color of his face started to fade. "Please, stop, please," Myungsoo begged, his voice barely enough to say another word.

"I don't think so," Pyo smirked, raising his other arm for one final blow.

SMACK.

Without any warning, Pyo loosened his grip around Myungsoo's neck as his arms fell to the floor. Myungsoo was freed, grabbing onto his neck to breathe again. The prince blinked his eyes multiple times as he lay on the floor, struggling to fully get back his full health. With his full body aching, Myungsoo lifted his knees up as if to curl up into a ball. Pyo's eyes rolled back, and the man who threatened and almost hurt Myungsoo lost control. Finally closing his eyes, Pyo fell to his left and off Myungsoo's body, unconscious. Myungsoo watched as the kneeling man fell right next to him, letting out a sigh of relief as he looked right above him.

Sungyeol, still holding onto his arm, stood over their bodies, exhausted and drained by the past couple of minutes. For the first time, Sungyeol and Myungsoo looked at each other face-to-face that moment. Their hearts heavy and their minds weak. Tired from losing blood, Sungyeol fell down to the floor, continuing to press on his wound and resting his head next to Myungsoo's legs.

 

(((())))

 

Police searched through the whole apartment to clear out any other suspicious people and investigate the mess that was just witnessed.

After the attack, residents gathered to discuss the details of how Shin Pyo entered the Lee apartment. Rumors were spread, some stories told with grand facts, everyone trying to figure out what exactly happened. 

All the apartment residents were safely escorted out of the apartment, following a few people who were injured, but no major ones to worry about. One of those being treated was Myungsoo, who sat on the edge of a stretcher as a doctor placed an icy cool pack on the side of his head. This was Myungsoo's second encounter with doctors in due less time, frightening him slightly as an emergency technician attempted to wipe some alcohol on a small wound. Myungsoo held onto Dongwoo's hand to help ease his anxiety, pressing down on his palm anytime something made him nervous.

"It's ok Myungsoo, you're safe now," Dongwoo ensured, using his other hand to rub Myungsoo's shoulder.

As this is going on, Sungjong lowered his cap to hide his eyes. All that could be seen was his quivering lips, his whole body shaking as he could barely take a look at Myungsoo. When Sungjong suggested the idea, little did he know something this extreme could happen. All his luck, tears dripped down Sungjong's cheeks and fell onto his shirt as he mourned over Sungyeol and Myungsoo's safety.

"It's ok to cry, Sungjong," Taeyeon comforted, attempting to put her arm around Sungjong.

"I'm NOT crying!" Sungjong squealed, brushing Taeyeon's arm off and crossing his arms. "I'm not crying, ok."

"What a crazy night," Dongwoo declared, shaking his head and he took one quick look at his friends' apartment. Sungyeol's window, covered in yellow tape as investigators inspected it. "A man from your apartment... missing his family, turning paranoid, and taking the apartment prisoner on his own. It's a sad story, really. I don't believe he is a bad person. He just couldn't deal with his wife and children gone. I don't know where they could have gone, but maybe they didn't want to be found? And if they really did get kidnapped, I hope that this all gets resolved."

"Most of all, everyone is ok. You're ok, Myungsoo," Taeyeon smiled.

"Exactly," Dongwoo nodded. "I nearly had a heart attack when Sungyeol snuck through the neighboring apartment and jumped the pool entrance to get to you. I'm glad the both of you are safe and sound. Also, from what it sounds like, insurance is covering the window. All three of you are welcome to stay at my apartment while investigation happens and your apartment is being fixed."

"Sungyeol is always full of surprises," Taeyeon stated. Dongwoo, Myungsoo, and Sungjong all turned to her to listen. They had barely interacted with Taeyeon since the break-up, and for her to stand in front of them with an opinion of Sungyeol meant there was some things needed to be said. Taeyeon stuck her hands down her pockets and caught the broken window, a single tear falling from her face as she reflected on her ex-boyfriend. "Sungyeol does have his calm moments, but he is capable of a lot of rash things that make him vulnerable. But the thing is... Sungyeol acts on love. He would do anything for the people he cares about, and for him to run next door, jump the fence, and storm the emergency exit for all of this? Myungsoo... Sungyeol cares about you more than you know."

At that moment, the four of them heard footsteps as Sungyeol approached their group with bandage wrapped around his arm. The bleeding had finally stopped, but Sungyeol continued to caress his arm to care. "Two injuries in less than a week," Sungyeol joked, trying to liven up the mood. "Mom's pissed off, I bet. Her two sons practically dead."

"How bad is it?" Sungjong questioned, gasping for air as he cried harder for his brother.

"This isn't that bad, thankfully. It hurt, but the bullet barely hit me. I'm lucky, honestly. I'm just really lucky."

Sungjong cried out loud, reaching over towards Sungyeol to embrace him with a warm hug. Never did Sungjong realize how much he took for granted when his brother and friend were met with a dangerous fate. Sungjong never wanted it to happen again, lamenting the unfortunate series of events that had occurred in barely a month. "I'm glad you're ok, hyung."

A single tear fell down Sungyeol's face as he wrapped his arms around his kid brother. "I'm safe, Sungjong, I promise. Please dont cry-"

"I'M NOT CRYING!" Sungjong pushed Sungyeol away to wipe any remaining moisture off his face. At the end of the day, Sungjong was too stubborn to admit his flaws. "Can we talk about anything other than me crying..."

Myungsoo's image was blocked by the emergency technician, but in releasing his embrace from his brother, Sungyeol saw Myungsoo for the first time as the doctor walked away from their group. In this entire time, Sungyeol could finally see Myungsoo's face, dirtied and beaten up from the altercation outside the door of their apartment. It was hard for Sungyeol to believe that anything like this could ever happen to Myungsoo in the 21st century. Sungyeol's most important job was for him to keep Myungsoo safe and return him back to his time.

But now, there was more on the line than simply keeping the Crown Prince safe and sound.

"Myungsoo..." Sungyeol called out, his voice barely faint for anyone to hear.

Myungsoo stared up at Sungyeol, immediately noticing the bandages to help his arm. Everything happened so fast, as if it was merely in the snap of a finger. Bits and pieces he barely remembered, but the only moments vivid in his memory were when Sungyeol appeared.

"Sungyeol."

Tears collected in Myungsoo's eyes as he stared at the person he needed to save, and the one who saved his own. Without the other, neither of them may not be sharing their moment together.

And with that, Myungsoo got up from his stretcher and let go of Dongwoo's hand. Sungyeol wrapped his arms around Myungsoo, and Myungsoo did the same. The both of them crying into each other's arms to end their evening.

 


 

Jamie is back from vacation with an action-packed chapter for all of you! A lot of things going on, and everything true hits the fan from this point.

Once again, thank you readers, subscribers, commentors, everyone! I appreciate everything that you say, and now that I back from vacation I can respond to everything. So let me know what you think of this chapter and what happens next! 

 

LOVE YOU ALL!!! <333