Just Another Game

21st Century Kim

The light shined through the blinds.

Strips of sunshine woke Sungyeol up. Stirring in his bed, Sungyeol slowly raised his hand to scratch his eyes and shield them from anymore sun. The bed was too comfortable to make anymore movement. Sungyeol laid in his bed, struggling to move another limb in his body until he had to.

"Are you awake?"

Sungyeol's eyes widened from hearing Myungsoo's morning voice, soft and welcoming. He turned his body to Myungsoo lying down on his side. Myungsoo's back was turned against him as he tucked his hands under his cheek. Sungyeol's rustling was enough indicator for him to know he was awake. "Are you ok?"

"What... am I ok?" Sungyeol scratched his eye, pretending to be confused. "What happened last night?"

Except Sungyeol knew exactly what Myungsoo did. Myungsoo carried him from the living room all the way to his bedroom and rested him on the bed. He also took off Sungyeol's sweatshirt to cool him off in the apartment. The prince even went as far as to tuck him in for comfort, wrapping him with blankets and doubling pillows under his head. All of this done while singing his ringtone.

Goddamnit it's only Tuesday.

"I finished taking a shower and I saw you sleeping on the couch. I thought you would be more comfortable in your own bed, so I carried you to your bed," Myungsoo explained, laying on his back and staring at the ceiling. "Like my brother... I have brought him to his chambers before in my own arms. You were not heavy or anything if that is what you are pondering.."

Sungyeol desired Myungsoo's point of view, but even then he had no words for the thoughtful act.

"I wanted you to have a restful sleep," Myungsoo smiled.

You didn't have to, and yet you did. "Thanks..." Sungyeol trailed off.

Myungsoo nodded his head. "I wanted to help. You had a stressful day."

Sungyeol shifted his body face Myungsoo, chuckling at the prince's naivety. "I was fine on the couch, but thanks... Thanks again." He was at a loss of words once again for the kind act. Not even his own brother would do such a thing.

Myungsoo grabbed his pillow and rested it under his chin. Soft, fluffy, everything his weak head needed in the morning. "Are you better now?"

"I wish I was better," Sungyeol sighed, pulling up his bed sheets over his shoulders. "What do I even do?"

Sungyeol had become accustomed to asking Myungsoo some difficult questions, but with lack of experience in any of the departments offered the prince could only offer so much. Nonetheless, he lived up to his title of Compassionate Prince and always did his best to help. Except for Sungyeol, he exhausted all efforts possible to try and solve his issues. "Sometimes the best solution is to not solve the problem immediately. What if you gave some time for the tension to die between the both of you? Let several days pass by for the two of you to be apart and think this through. I have noticed that the best thoughts can come to mind after a clear mind and a pure heart. Also, you have homework to worry about."

"I can do that." Sungyeol wanted to do whatever would alleviate the situation. Whether that meant easing everything in, he wanted to give as much space between him and Taeyeon as possible. "What do I tell her after that?"

"Do you write letters?"

"Letters? What is this, the 14th century?"

"Letters are thoughtful!" Myungsoo argued. "Much more meaningful than your texts. Everything these days has become much more impersonal, and how can you help your friendship if you text the problem."

"Fine, what do I do," Sungyeol groaned.

"What I did often when I hurt someone's feelings, whether it be Daehyun, my brother, Naeun, what I did was I spent time writing a letter to them about my feelings. I will talk about my emotions and address my perceptions. After all of that is thought out, I will read the letter out loud in front of them."

"What? In front of them?" Sungyeol considered himself a romantic and personal person, but not to this extent.

"If you have a messenger, it will take too long for them to receive the letter," Myungsoo replied. "I mean every time Byung Nam was given a letter it could take five days or more..."

"What if I waste too much time?" Sungyeol asked.

"What do you mean?" 

Sungyeol was scared of how everything would turn out. "If I wait too long writing this letter or talking to her, what if it is too late to save the friendship? I have a bad history of waiting and putting things off, and it has hurt people in the process."

There was a double meaning to what Sungyeol implied, but Myungsoo could not read between the lines.

"Sungyeol, have read a lot of poetry and literature in my time, and the ones that mean the most to me are the ones where the poet puts their whole soul into it," Myungsoo continued. "I believe it will guide your friendship back with Taeyeon."

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu rushed down the hallway, dressed in a black and red hanbok suited for heavy travel. He gripped the rim of his black hat, which extended over his forehead and shielded the sun away.

The anticipation was killing him, and after two days for progress the search for Daehyun was unsuccessful.

It was his turn now to help with the search, joining King Bang Sok and hand-selected officials of the royal court to accompany the guard search team. The pressure was building up, and Sunggyu thought if more weight added he could buckle up and collapse. The scene was played as if Daehyun was a threat to the nation, acting as an accomplice to King Myunghae's death. The state of the House of Kim was a mess, and with lies and different intentions flying all over the place Sunggyu knew at some point his plans could fail. Sunggyu frayed the thread of his hat and pulled it to unravel the fabric, looping the string around his fingers in a panick.

"Kim Sunggyu."

The call broke Sunggyu's glare, who noticed Naeun approaching him from the other end of the hallway. If there was more added stress, his situation with Naeun had yet to be resolved. Putting that detail to the side, he stood tall and placed his hat on his head, bowing at 90 degrees respectfully. A girl who always deserves my full attention. "Son Naeun." Sunggyu's mouth was so dry he barely made the name out.

Naeun's face flashed a worried expression. She held both of her hands together, digging her fingers into her skin as if intentionally causing pain. Her face was painted in her usual manner, but no makeup could hide the discontent in her heart. Her eyes teared up, her lips pulsed, struggling to speak. "I heard from my father that you are leaving the palace," she frowned.

Naeun? Why are you acting like this? "Yes, I am preparing a trek to find Daehyun," Sunggyu confirmed.

"Why? What as he done?"and 

"He... he has committed treason," Sunggyu responded nervously.

"Do..." Naeun bit her lip to stop talking.

"What?" Sunggyu stepped forward to place his hands on Naeun's shoulders, disregarding any space and boundaries to hold onto her tightly. Naeun was hurting in some way, and he hated seeing her cry like this. He remembered the first time Naeun ran into his arms and cried in front of him. The whole city watched as his muse broke down, and he was not prepared to see it again. "Naeun, please tell me what is going on?"

Naeun closed her eyes. "Why do you have to leave? Everyone is leaving this palace, this place... Please do not leave me Sunggyu."

Hearing that wish, Sunggyu opened his arms and pulled Naeun close. While Sunggyu and Naeun's relationship lacked the closure of Myungoo's death, there was no doubt that the two shared a connection that required no words. If Sunggyu knew Nauen was sad, he would do anything to help her feel better. Little did she know, was that Sunggyu was doing all of this for the both of them. Sunggyu caressed her back and brought her head into his chest, gently rubbing the back of her neck with his thumb. "I will not be gone for long Naeun. I am coming back as soon as we resolve this matter. I am going to come back to you."

I need to prove you that Myungsoo is never coming back. I need to prove to you it should be me.

 

(((()))

 

"You own a horse?" Sungyeol asked, flipping through the pages of his history book. He slowly sipped on his caffe americano, digging his fingers into the cup as he was concentrated on studying more about the Crown Prince. Sungyeol believed at this point he knew a decent amount of Myungsoo's life, but little did he know was there was always more to learn.

"Kkocheun," Myungsoo answered, who took up majority of the couch to watch a music countdown show. He twirled the remote in his hand, feeling more casual and relaxed as he lived with Sungyeol longer. Though Myungsoo wanted to maintain his values from the Joseon, he was adapting to the modern era and taking in many of what he believed to be the lethargic traits of the new era. I cannot help how comfortable the couch feels. "There is no other horse like her. I took care of her because she was crippled, and though my uncle wanted to abandon her I knew I could give her love."

"That's pretty admirable," Sungyeol smiled, taking another gulp of his drink. "What else aren't you telling me?"

Myungsoo lifted his head up to catch Sungyeol's head beyond the armrest, squinting his eyes for a playful smug. "You are studying, no? You shall find out the rest of my secrets soon." I am unsure what that book will tell about me, but I hope it is good.

The doors of their apartment flung open. Sungjong appeared at the entrance with his backpack and jacket off. Upon entering the apartment, he threw everything on the floor and collapsed to the floor head first. Sungjong spread his arms out wide and closed his eyes, resting on the comfort of his own carpet.

"What's the story today?" Sungyeol groaned, preparing himself for whatever complaint his brother has again.

"I hate people," Sungjong muffled through the carpet.

"Oh really?" Sungyeol hummed.

Sungjong lifted his head off the floor and glared at his brother. "Thank god it's Friday because I'm tired of school."

"Wait!" Sungyeol closed his book and pushed his drink off to the side, smiling at his next comment. "Guess what I heard from someone in class today? Kim Jaejoong of JYJ has apparently fled the country to avoid military enlistment."

"Shut up."

"I checked to confirm she was right. It's all over the news."

"Him?!" Sungjong slapped his forehead. "Why would someone like him do something so stupid?!"

Their apartment door was still left open, to which Dongwoo peeked his head from behind the door to wave at everyone inside. "Hey."

Sungyeol and Myungsoo stared at the door and gave Dongwoo a quick wave.

"Sungjong." Dongwoo stepped into their apartment decked out in workout gear, wearing a green football shirt with white mesh shorts and blue cleats. He lightly kicked Sungjong's side. "You said you would hurry up! We're supposed to go."

"Yeah yeah, hold on sheesh," Sungjong grumbled, pushing himself off the floor. "Hyung, we're playing football if you want to join."

"Football?" Sungyeol was interested, especially because it was Friday and he wanted to take a study break soon. 

"Football?" Myungsoo asked. "You mean that one sport I watch on the television screen all the time?"

Dongwoo had an idea. "Hey Myungsoo! Do you want to-"

Sungjong knew exactly what Dongwoo wanted to ask, spinning around and covering Dongwoo's mouth to shut him up. "No."

"What do you mean no?" Dongwoo shrieked through Sungjong's hand.

"Why wouldn't we?" Sungyeol was a little offended Sungjong did not want to bring the prince with them. "We can't leave him here alone, and you don't want to include him?"

"It's not like I don't want him to come," Sungjong explained. "I like hanging out with Myungsoo. I'm warning both of you right now: one of us is going to get hurt if he plays."

"Oh get it together." Dongwoo rolled his eyes, grabbing Sungjong's wrist to move out of his way. Sungjong complains on occasion of the bad memories he had spent with the Crown Prince, but all the good moments outweigh each time. It was an exaggeration that Dongwoo and Sungyeol dealt with especially in the beginning of Myungsoo's stay, but the two were still surprised Sungjong kept it up after all this time. "Myungsoo! Do you want to play football with us?"

 

(((())))

 

Sunset was the perfect time to catch the football field at their neighborhood park. As the sun trickled down, the stars twinkled above and the friday night lights shined from above to light the field. Especially on a Friday night, with the rest of Seoul winding down or preparing for an evening out, it was the boys' favorite spot to kick around when they wanted to relax.

The four of them eagerly stepped onto the field to play. Dongwoo tossed the football in the air, performing tricks like dribbling the ball to the sky and passing it behind his back to Sungyeol. Sungyeol took the ball and performed his little own number, jumping around the ball and faking kicks as he passed it to his brother. Sungjong ran as fast as he could to kick the ball farther down the field, showing off his agility and stamina to run forth for the goal. Midway down, he faked his own kick and jolted the ball upwards high into the air. Sungjong was preparing for his final move: his spinning in-air death kick. What Sungjong is known for on the field, he can take any football in the air and jump to a slam that sends the ball flying through the air at speeds unattainable, leaving no room for the goalie to even try. Sungjong leaped into the air, swinging his leg around for the contact, right towards Myungsoo's head.

"NO!" Myungsoo shrieked, scared of the ball and with first instinct pulled Sungyeol in front of him as a shield. 

"Myungsoo! What the-"

The ball was inches away from hitting their faces, their lives flashed right before them. But in the knick of time Sungyeol grabbed Myungsoo and pushed him to the floor to barely miss the flight. The football passed them and landed back on the grass, bouncing up and down until it came to a full stop at the edge of the field. Sungyeol and Myungsoo's legs intertwined, with Sungyeol lying on his stomach and Myungsoo on top of his back. 

"You were supposed to kick it!" Sungjong yelled, showing no sympathy for almost clobbering his brother and Crown Prince.

Myungsoo pushed himself off Sungyeol and crawled onto the field, puckering his lips that touched the dirty grass. He stuck his tongue out in hopes of getting the disgusting taste of dirt out of his mouth. I am done for the day. I cannot do this. "I don't think I want to play football anymore," Myungsoo whined, taking his stand brushing the dirt off his knees. He paid close attention to Sungyeol's white pair of shorts, which were now stained with green and brown mush. 

"You haven't even played yet," Sungyeol barked, standing up from the grass and helping brush some grass clippings on Myungsoo's back. 

Myungsoo hesitated for a second at Sungyeol's touch as his hand brushed against his back, but there was something about it that did not make feel Myungsoo uncomfortable. It was as if Sungyeol and Myungsoo reached a level of comfort that no longer needed a wall. Myungsoo was at ease by Sungyeol's simple actions. "But it moves so fast. When I watch it on television, it seems slower."

"You can't be scared of the ball!" Dongwoo started, running towards Sungyeol and Myungsoo to give a few pointers. He grabbed the ball and tossed it in the air, bouncing it at the top of his head. Dongwoo stuck his arms out and smiled, demonstrating all the fun tricks football can offer. "You have to just go for it, take the ball, and score. Follow everything you've seen on TV. What's your favorite sport?"

"Sport?" Myungsoo asked.

"Favorite activity," Dongwoo clarified.

"I know a thing or two of martial arts."

"When you do martial arts, there are times when you are scared of your opponent, correct? You can't be scared of what comes at you. Once you're in control, you can do whatever you want." Dongwoo headbutt the ball towards Myungsoo, who caught it in the air. "Take control of the ball and you'll be ok."

Myungsoo held onto a slippery white globe of a shiny materal that appeared soft at the eye, but rough once held onto. It was spotted with black shapes equally spread apart for decoration. Myungsoo dug his nail between the crease of a black spot, trying to peel the part off. With such an archaic object held a bruting force once kicked.

"Are we gonna play or what?!" Sungjong screamed, signaling his arms for the three to start the game. "Dongwoo's on my team. Hyung, you get the left goal. Let's GO!"

"Right!" Sungyeol slapped Myungsoo's back to move him forward, startling the prince to drop the ball back to the ground. There were only a few seconds for a quick breakdown of the game. "We have to guard that goal on the left, which means when you kick go in that direction," he explained, pointing at the right goal. "Kick the ball there by any means and score in their goal. Everything you've seen on TV."

"Ok," Myungsoo nodded. 

"You can start," Dongwoo announced as him and Sungjong jogged down the field to guard their goal.

"Come on Myungsoo. Get the first kick and let's get this game started," Sungyeol encouraged, giving Myungsoo one last slap on the back.

Myungsoo paused, staring deeply at the ball which was no bigger than his own head. There was no easier task that the Crown Prince had to do in 2014, yet with Sungyeol's eyes concentrated on him he never felt a bigger pressure of trying to impress him. Myungsoo held his breath, clenched his fist, and swung his leg back for the prepared kick. Channeling all his power in his foot, he went for the kick.

With one swing, a powerful kick sent flying through the air in an unexpected flight that frightened Dongwoo, jumping in the air just in time to block the shot with his chest and stumbling back from the strong impact. 

"What the..." Dongwoo and Sungjong mumbled simultaneously.

Sungyeol raised an eyebrow, shock by how much strength was in some Crown Prince who could barely work a coffee machine. Though he should have expected it when Myungsoo carried Sungyeol at ease. He was more than impressed. "It's on now," Sungyeol smirked.

A scoreless game and an hour passed.

"Whoever scores wins!" Dongwoo yelled, grabbing his shirt to wipe the sweat off his head. 

No one had expected their game to last for so long. But more than anything, no one had expected Myungsoo to play competitively. With such finesse and style, Myungsoo played like he was on the professional football team of Korea. Weeks of watching games and his own athleticism contributed to a prolific player. It was difficult task for the rest of them to play at his level. As they grew tired, Myungsoo was swerving left and right to deter them off his trail. 

"Damnit Sungyeol," Sungjong complained, bending over to catch his breath and rub his knees. "I hate hanging out with Myungsoo sometimes."

"Sungyeol!" Myungsoo screamed, kicking the ball towards him.

Sungjong prepared for the block and stood his guard as Sungyeol lurched forward and pushed his brother away with his arm. The ball flew straight to Sungyeol, who bumped it with his chest and gained control with his feet. Sungyeol faked several moves to trip Sungjong over, waiting for Myungsoo to run towards the goal for a hopeful game point.

Sungjong noted what his brother was trying to do, speeding to the goal to guard.

"Myungsoo!" Sungyeol curved towards the sidelines and made his final kick to Myungsoo.

Myungsoo sprinted towards the goal and waited for the pass, losing Dongwoo in the process to a clear shot for the game point. The ball bounced off the grass, forcing Myungsoo to run a little off course to retrieve the ball. His whole body was sweating from head to toe and his face was burning red, all with determination to score. The Crown Prince made his move with the ball a little offsides, the only way for a point was to pull the jumping maneuver Sungjong showed at the beginning of the game.

"Come on!" Sungyeol encouraged.

Myungsoo was trained for kicks and jumping during his sparring, in the moment it felt like a piece of cake as Myungsoo shifted his body towards the goal and jumped in the air for a butterfly kick.

Contact made with the football with a force even Myungsoo never thought capable. 

Sungjong still ran towards the goal with hopes of blocking the shot, but even he was unable to guage Myungsoo's capabilities.

Without a spared second to dodge, the ball smashed right into Sungjong's face. In a slow motion of pain, saliva splashed out of Sungjong's mouth as the ball kissed his whole face and pressed against him like a wall. Arms waving in the air for a cushion, Sungjong had no chance against the ball and fell straight on his back as the ball tumbled right to the goal. 

"Sungjong!" Sungyeol screamed.

Sungjong's nose started bleeding, and in the seconds passed Sungjong tilted his head and slowly closed his eyes before his body was completely unconscious.

 


 

Let's just say in the present, the whole next chapter will take place in a hospital. And in the past, the whole next chapter will take place in the forest. 

What does that mean?! You'll find out soon XDDD 

BTW for everyone wondering. This chapter is planned to be 28-30 chapters. Hope all of you are enjoying the story! Thank you for all of your wonderful comments about this, I love hearing what you all have to say. And the messages too, and your support. Love you all <3333